• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to walk Camino more than once.

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
In Rock climbing, there is a concept called the onsight. Basically one climbs a route with minimal knowledge, and much of the pleasure is the psychological not knowing if you can actually do it, and find hidden holds and such like.
I am wondering if doing Camino is the similar. Obviously, one can walk as much as one wants, but can it only be the first time that one can truly experience the trepidation of the physical and psychological journey one is about to commence.
Afterwards, it's a jolly nice thing to do, but cannot be the same as the first.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No climb was ever the same for me. Weather, timing, companions, capacity, competence all changed the rock.

No camino has ever been the same either: weather, timing, company, capacity for Orujo, my increasing incompetence…

Perhaps that frisson, the trepidation may be absent but also may be strengthened by a little foreknowledge. For some Crib Goch is an easy route in heavy cloud; a bit of a bugger on a clear day

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes. But no. But yes.

It is impossible, or almost impossible to find that exact emotional space of a First Camino™ with all of the fear, and nervousness, and unknowing of what to expect. But subsequent Caminos can and do hit those buttons. With mountain climbing (which I have never done) one would still expect certain things when tackling a new face. You would know what to wear and pack in terms of gear, you would know how to climb and what to look for, you would probably have done some research into the best way to scale a sheer face and which areas to avoid, so you're not going in blind on any of it except for the actual experience of doing it.

Caminos are the same. Each one is different and poses different challenges, from meeting new people, or not meeting any (or very few), to weather, to route chosen. The trepidation may be lessened, but there is still excitement at what each day brings and nervousness setting out.

There are quite a few people here that have done dozens of Caminos and I imagine they find each one very different and new.

Many of us who have had the opportunity to walk the same camino multiple times agree with these lovely, poignant lines by Jose Saramago.

"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them.You have to start the journey anew. Always"
Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally I cannot imagine walking the Frances for example more than once as I want to do more different things. At the same time I understand that each time a person walks a Camino it has a degree of difference whether that’s differing stages, or maybe even their own personal reason for walking. Also many like returning to something that has a degree of familiarity. It just comes down to the magnitude of ‘difference’ you are looking for. So do what works for you.

In Rock climbing, there is a concept called the onsight. Basically one climbs a route with minimal knowledge, and much of the pleasure is the psychological not knowing if you can actually do it, and find hidden holds and such like.
I am wondering if doing Camino is the similar. Obviously, one can walk as much as one wants, but can it only be the first time that one can truly experience the trepidation of the physical and psychological journey one is about to commence.
For me, that's 💯 correct. As others have said it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it again, and that your experience won't be completely different, but indeed, it cannot be the same as the first.

Edited to add: I do however agree to many of the sentiments expressed above, and in particular the verse that @mspath quoted

I cannot imagine walking the Frances for example more than once as I want to do more different things
Sometimes it is just the one that makes sense logistically (weather, time of year, proximity, infrastructure). I always like to go back to the Frances every once in a while. To me it is sort of fun to walk it again. Familiarity? Maybe.

Don't get me wrong tho. I like doing different things too.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

I found it true to a point.
As the geography is only part of the experience.
We are different people if we walk it again, and we meet different people.
Our experiences will be different.

I found walking the CF with my wife a bit of a 'tour guide' experience.
She would ask where we could stop for coffee or lunch and I'd know where the cafes are.
We stayed in some of the same places but tried not to.

I no longer really want to walk a route that I have walked previously.
The unknown / unexpected element of the journey is more enjoyable I think.

But I would add, that "the trepidation of the physical and psychological journey" ahead, is much the same.
Because we can never know how our body and mind will cope, what lies ahead for us, or if we will manage to complete the journey.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sure I do, but my reflection is if these are walks as opposed to a Camino, after the first one.

I don't do 'walks'.
Don't really see the point in them.
Never do them at home.

I only do 'Caminos'.....
The first and subsequent were all undertaken as Caminos.

A Pilgrimage and a 'walk' is like comparing an Apple to an Orange.

I think you are suggesting that after the first Camino, any subsequent Caminos become just a walk.
I don't think so. ;)

No climb was ever the same for me. Weather, timing, companions, capacity, competence all changed the rock.

No camino has ever been the same either: weather, timing, company, capacity for Orujo, my increasing incompetence…

Perhaps that frisson, the trepidation may be absent but also may be strengthened by a little foreknowledge. For some Crib Goch is an easy route in heavy cloud; a bit of a bugger on a clear day

I first walked Crib Goch in the snow and ice when I was 12 years old … and it was a clear day 😄😉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't do 'walks'.
Never do them at home.

I only do 'Caminos'.....

I think you are suggesting that after the first Camino, any subsequent Caminos become just a walk.
I don't think so. ;)

For one thing, the 'walk' lacks the spiritual aspect of the Camino. The
"et Suseia', if you will.

For one thing, the 'walk' lacks the spiritual aspect of the Camino. The
"et Suseia', if you will.

100% agree.
That's why a 'walk' has no appeal to me.
For me a Camino is a walking spiritual and emotional reflection.
It's a journey, of some length, and of some discomfort, that 'stretches' me, and is away from my everyday life.
It's simple in form. Uncomplicated.
Walk, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.
But I would add....... Look, Listen, Learn and Feel.

I have only found those elements on Camino.

So, again. to the OP's question.
Every Camino, is a Camino. ;)

A walk...........is just a walk.

Many of us who have had the opportunity to walk the same camino multiple times agree with these lovely, poignant lines by Jose Saramago.

"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to goof over them again or add fresh ones alongside them.You have to start the journey anew. Always"
Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal
When I saw the title of the post I thought to myself, "I bet someone (you😊) will post Saramago's quote.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is an interesting question I've been thinking as I start to plan my second Camino.
By definition, there can only be one "first" - so I've been thinking about whether I would want to do the same route a second time or experience a new route for the first time?

My first was Norte/Primitivo/Finisterre in spring 2023, and I've been thinking about Via Podiensis starting at Le Puy en Velay in spring 2025. I had hoped to go this year, but moving to a new house was (and continues to be) a major distraction.

Although I'm leaning towards trying something new, making it a "first" pilgrimage on a different route, there's part of me that longs to return to the route that was my first Camino and enjoy it from the perspective of experience in a way that I couldn't the first time, enjoy walking in a familiar place, each each step and turn, knowing that I really can do it. Did I walk too fast? Did I not linger enough? Did I not savor each new vista? Did I not explore enough? Would the repetition dampen some of what I think of as "route anxiety" (not quite knowing where I am, trying to find the path, concerned about missing a turn, wondering why the distance was marked as 20K (or 30K) when I've already walked so much more than that, ha!), and thus provide an opportunity to walk in a more contemplative state? Or do I want to experience a new route, with the distraction of new places (and route anxiety), which can bring me back closer to the feeling of my first Camino but in a different place?

My sense is that some people really enjoy the feeling of finding their way in a new place, the challenge of finding the path in an unknown place, seeing something new. I don't dislike it, but I also enjoy walking in familiar places too, or combining a walk through some place I know and adding on new parts to explore (always that nagging route anxiety my companion). Still, I feel I have to ask myself, am I really contemplating the same route to avoid the route anxiety, or to enjoy the same route in a deeper way?

I suspect I will likely pick the new route, the draw of seeing new places probably stronger than a repeat of a more familiar path, but it is tempting. I look at my pictures and long to return. Either way, though, I'm sure the experience will be all that it is supposed to be, it just won't be my First Camino....

The first time brings knowledge.

But, as you repeat the process intimacy moves in.

Soon you’re in love.

Then you build a community with like minded lovers of what you cherish.

That’s what repeatedly walking caminos does for me.

No, I will never again walk to Santiago for the first time; and that just fine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Every morning I wake up surprised. I got a bramd new day. So every morning for me is like the first day of creation. Joy, gratefulness wonders all can be found. Question is are you ready for it?
Or are you waiting for the outside gratifications?
Same for Caminos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is an interesting question I've been thinking as I start to plan my second Camino.
By definition, there can only be one "first" - so I've been thinking about whether I would want to do the same route a second time or experience a new route for the first time?

My first was Norte/Primitivo/Finisterre in spring 2023, and I've been thinking about Via Podiensis starting at Le Puy en Velay in spring 2025. I had hoped to go this year, but moving to a new house was (and continues to be) a major distraction.

Although I'm leaning towards trying something new, making it a "first" pilgrimage on a different route, there's part of me that longs to return to the route that was my first Camino and enjoy it from the perspective of experience in a way that I couldn't the first time, enjoy walking in a familiar place, each each step and turn, knowing that I really can do it. Did I walk too fast? Did I not linger enough? Did I not savor each new vista? Did I not explore enough? Would the repetition dampen some of what I think of as "route anxiety" (not quite knowing where I am, trying to find the path, concerned about missing a turn, wondering why the distance was marked as 20K (or 30K) when I've already walked so much more than that, ha!), and thus provide an opportunity to walk in a more contemplative state? Or do I want to experience a new route, with the distraction of new places (and route anxiety), which can bring me back closer to the feeling of my first Camino but in a different place?

My sense is that some people really enjoy the feeling of finding their way in a new place, the challenge of finding the path in an unknown place, seeing something new. I don't dislike it, but I also enjoy walking in familiar places too, or combining a walk through some place I know and adding on new parts to explore (always that nagging route anxiety my companion). Still, I feel I have to ask myself, am I really contemplating the same route to avoid the route anxiety, or to enjoy the same route in a deeper way?

I suspect I will likely pick the new route, the draw of seeing new places probably stronger than a repeat of a more familiar path, but it is tempting. I look at my pictures and long to return. Either way, though, I'm sure the experience will be all that it is supposed to be, it just won't be my First Camino....
I know whatever you pick will be a rich experience. I would just say that “longing” is a strong and meaningful feeling and should maybe be given some extra weight. As some writers on this thread have pointed out the distinction between a Camino and a walk, just so I would say we “lean toward” a walk and “long for” a Camino.

I don't do 'walks'.
Never do them at home.

I only do 'Caminos'.....

I don't think so. ;)
Obviously this is your opinion, and what I sought ;-), but I would shy away from the word "just", a person who has walked the Appalachian trail, my consider a Camino all a bit "just". Or a person who has walked from Antwerp, may think a person who has walked from SJPDP all a bit "just". We make our own decisions, and I am "just" interested in other people's perspectives on doing more than one Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Obviously this is your opinion, and what I sought ;-), but I would shy away from the word "just", a person who has walked the Appalachian trail, my consider a Camino all a bit "just". Or a person who has walked from Antwerp, may think a person who has walked from SJPDP all a bit "just". We make our own decisions, and I am "just" interested in other people's perspectives on doing more than one Camino.
I see the Camino as a walk. A fantastic walk but a walk nonetheless. . It’s a pilgrimage for many of course, and that’s fine, but we can use our own labels that best fit how we see ourselves, and certainly I see myself as a walker / hiker /trekker and not a pilgrim. It’s what I am comfortable with. Maybe because I see it as a walk, I won’t do it again, but pilgrims may as it ‘means more ‘ to them. They may get more ‘benefit’ redoing a Camino as it’s give them a lot of happiness versus something new that isn’a pilgrimage.

Our first Camino was full of excitement and doubt, usually not knowing exactly where we were and where we were going (beyond following the arrows) and discovering - and delighting in - what was around the next corner. Walking every day and sleeping in albergues every night, pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone. We planned on returning.
The next Camino was more of a "hey, I remember this place!" slower paced exploration of the towns we fell in love with (but hadn't budgeted near enough time for exploration). It was Camino of extended rest days, of hotels and train rides. It was nice, but not exciting. We constantly fell far behind people we met. I missed the camaraderie of fellow pilgrims. We didn't plan on returning again.
I'm ready for a new adventure, though. Maybe in the spring, or next fall. I'll be solo this time; I'm curious to see how different it will be.

I think the motivations behind rock climbing and Camino walking, while overlapping, are far from congruent. I agree that the second time you walk a route cannot be the same as the first. In my experience, it can be better.

Well I do because I look, but moving on, if life is a box of chocolates, why keep walking to the same destination?
If you have a nice meal, do you say "Man, that dish was delicious. I never want to eat it again!"? If you hear a great song, do you say "That song was great. I never want to hear it again! Only new songs for me."?

I don't see why Caminos should be so different from other enjoyable experiences.

There are so many different camino's. Why should I do the same one again. But this is my personal view. That is the reason why I am now hiking on the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome.
You are allowed to have your own opinion and be happy with it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the motivations behind rock climbing and Camino walking, while overlapping, are far from congruent. I agree that the second time you walk a route cannot be the same as the first. In my experience, it can be better.
"Can be better" interesting, as I said asking for perspectives.

There are so many different camino's. Why should I do the same one again. But this is my personal view. That is the reason why I am now hiking on the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome.
You are allowed to have your own opinion and be happy with it.
What is the infrastructure like on the Francigenia, vis a vis accommodation

What is the infrastructure like on the Francigenia, vis a vis accommodation
Infrastructure is an issue on Via Francigena. Less available and more expensive. But this is part of a pilgrimage.
I only know the Camino Frances from the last part, when you come from the Norte, which is like a folk festival.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
"Just as each Pilgrim is different so each Pilgrim's Way is different and each is different in its own different Way."

Copied that from the visitors' book at Ponferrada many years ago. It's either very profound or a tongue twister - could never be sure.

If one sees the Camino as pilgrimage during which the inner journey is the more important, then each Camino is a part of the pilgrimage of life, and can be a time of great blessings, and one can long to return again and again.

"Can be better" interesting, as I said asking for perspectives.
And I gave my perspective. It can be better because you are more aware of what the Camino has to offer or because you are more receptive to it. It can be better because you value the company you have (my first time on the Frances was solo, my second time was with my teenage son, for example, but it could also be the "Camino family" you find). Can be better because you stop at different places or see different things. Can be better because you are in better shape to walk it. There are so many ways it can be better.

For me, if seeing if I am physically up to the challenge is part of the appeal, it is such a small part that it doesn't really factor in at all.

Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
The "never the same again" aspect is probably even more pronounced than you state. Of course any subsequent Camino won't be the same as the first. Of course the same trepidation won't be there. The psychological journey is different. Yet some people come back again and again and enjoy it all the same.

But there's something people get out of that first one which makes the vast majority of Camino walkers not return ever again.

Do rock climbers ever go back to the same route? Of course they do.

Rock climbers probably have a 90+% return rate for any given route. They'll have competitions on routes they've all done a hundred times. Go to any popular rock climbing route and you'll see people standing there staring up figuring out the best way to go on a route they've already done a dozen times.

Camino walkers likely have less than a 10% return rate-- not for the same route but for any route. Present company excepted, the vast majority of people never come back. That means they either didn't like it or they were fulfilled and have no need-- or not enough of a need, anyway.

For most people, there's not enough of a need left which can overcome the practical realities of getting there and doing it. The Camino dropped on their internal list down behind some other goal or trip or adventure. To get back up there in priority it often takes influence of another family member who still has it as a long term goal.

“We leave something of ourselves behind, only leave a place, we stay there even though we go away. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there. We travel to ourselves when we go to a place though we have covered a stretch of our life, no matter how brief it may have been.

"A Goldsmith of Words" Amadeu de Prado

Sure I do, but my reflection is if these are walks as opposed to a Camino, after the first one.
Now I'll really throw a spanner in the works.
My first camino was a walk, I thought the word "pilgrim" was pretentious in the worst sense of the word.
But I came to wear the label - and have done so, not only each of my five subsequent caminos, but through all of life whether in Spain or not.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
My first camino was a walk, I thought the word "pilgrim" was pretentious in the worst sense of the word.
But I came to wear the label - and have done so, not only each of my five subsequent caminos, but through all of life whether in Spain or not.
Interesting point. I am currently two days into a Camino and was just thinking that I have heard only the word ‘pilgrim’ once (from a middle age American lady) and have not heard the word ‘pilgrimage’ at all which is similar to previous caminos. It is a younger European crowd, albeit with English being used a lot, so maybe it is a nationality/age thing ( the use of the word Pilgrim). Just an observation really. I don’t use the word myself and yes for me it would be pretentious, as I don’t believe I meet the criteria to be called a pilgrim. Happy for others to use the label as they wish.

Last edited:
Yes! Also felt similarly my first walk, or at least I thought it was pretentious to think of myself as a Pilgrim before I started, although I did think of it as a spiritIual journey. Not sure at what point during the 6 weeks I started to view myself as also a pilgrim. I walked that first tough week of the del Norte largely on my own, barely speaking to anyone, so maybe somewhere in the second week as I started to make friends along the way.... and certainly when I entered Santiago, tears streaming down my cheeks.....

Similarly, I thought it would be pretentious to add a pilgrim's shell to my pack when I hadn't even started. However, before I started on the del Norte, I spent some time touring Basque "hidden gems" that I wouldn't pass through on my Camino with a local Basque guide - he wanted to buy a shell for me as a gift at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, and when I declined politely saying I didn't think I could accept because I hadn't begun and felt I had to earn it by reaching Santiago, he told me that it was ok to accept if offered by someone else as a gift. I don't know whether he just made that up , but I did accept the shell and for some reason it made me feel glad to add it on my pack. Once reaching Santiago I purchased several for friends who plan, one day, to walk their own Camino, to pay it forward.

Sometimes it is just the one that makes sense logistically (weather, time of year, proximity, infrastructure). I always like to go back to the Frances every once in a while. To me it is sort of fun to walk it again. Familiarity? Maybe.

Don't get me wrong tho. I like doing different things too.
I walked Camino Frances for the first time, May-June 2023 and again this year May-June 2024.The first time it was all new and exciting not knowing what the path had in store for me. Dealing with rainy days, doing laundry by hand and of course the walking between 20-30 km a day with a backpack. Having breakfast, lunch and dinner with people you just met on the trail. Ordering food in restaurants and grocery stores were some don't speak English. This took a little adjusting for me. When I walked the second time this year I was a little more at ease. Knew what to expect when ordering food, staying in Albergues and how my body would react to walking the 20-30 km a day. I also stayed at quite a few different towns. But the one main thing for me was I met great people on both Caminos. I turn 66 next month so don't know if I'll walk a Camino again but I would not hesitate to walk the Frances again. Many more different towns to stay in and many more great people to meet.

@Bedspring -
“and much of the pleasure is the psychological not knowing if you can actually do it, and find hidden holds and such like … can it only be the first time that one can truly experience the trepidation of the physical and psychological journey one is about to commence … it's a jolly nice thing to do, but cannot be the same as the first"

Agree.
However the pleasures of the second time around can be no less enjoyable. They are different. And depending on your temperament and luck, you could well vote the second time the best time.

Interesting point. I am currently two days into a Camino and was just thinking that I have heard only the word ‘pilgrim’ once (from a middle age American lady) and have not heard the word ‘pilgrimage’ at all which is similar to previous caminos.
To be fair, I heard the Spanish “peregrino/a” far more than the English word…and I wonder if somehow that created a metaphorical distance that enabled me to accept the term!
On my 2024 Camino there were three occasions I passed groups of young schoolchildren (Burgos, Ponferrada, Portomarin) and each time they all called out repeatedly, “¡Hola peregrina!” It struck me in a new way. I wondered how many of them will one day walk their own pilgrimages, perhaps because of growing up seeing pilgrims.

I second the thoughts of many posters above.

Sure, the first time will always hold a special place.
But both my second and my third time were extremely special (and quite different) in their very own way.
I love them all.

You've nailed it! Well done!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.