Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Busing out of Leon but to where?

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
I heard it mentioned that rather than walking through the industrial section of Leon it was possible to take a bus out of the city....but where to?

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh mate, don’t fall for that one. It’s just another of those Camino myths. Sure, Leon is a city. It’s got more bits than the pretty bits. Those bits are still Leon and they are still Camino.

It’s in the “industrial” bits that you’ll find the cafes that are open early in the day to serve the working populations, and the passing pilgrim.

You’ll even get to encounter the Hobbit Holes if you pay attention

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I didn't mind the walk out of Leon at all. I didn't find it to be particularly industrial, but seemed more of what I call the "outskirts" of town with small businesses and bars that cater to locals, but aren't we pilgrims lucky to take advantage, too, on our way out.
I also was one who loved those cute "hobbit houses".🙂

I didn't mind the walk out of Leon at all. I didn't find it to be particularly industrial, but seemed more of what I call the "outskirts" of town with small businesses and bars that cater to locals, but aren't we pilgrims lucky to take advantage, too, on our way out.
Exactly.

Same here. Didn't see anything "horrible". Perhaps I was too busy scanning for yellow arrows 😉😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh mate, don’t fall for that one. It’s just another of those Camino myths. Sure, Leon is a city. It’s got more bits than the pretty bits. Those bits are still Leon and they are still Camino.

It’s in the “industrial” bits that you’ll find the cafes that are open early in the day to serve the working populations, and the passing pilgrim.

So true. I rank that with the too often heard, "The Meseta's boring. Give it a miss". Those that do, don't know what they're missing

I really enjoyed the eary morning walk out of the old city into a less touristic and very real city full of real people - some just going to bed, some up at a cruelly early hour by Spanish standards.

If you take the bus or walk, either way, do go into the church in Virgen del Camino. A modern box on the outside, but with a beautiful atmosphere inside.

And if you prefer the less busy way, going via Mazarife is definitely more your cup of tea than the 'official' route near the highway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did bus into León from Mansilla de las Mulas with a group of Pilgrims.
The 10mins ride saved us the boring industrial outskirts of León and walking besides highways.

But we did the walk out of León and personally I did found it not as bad as many reporting.
Only the last part before Virgen del Camino you walk through an industrial complex for about 20-30mins, the other parts are residential areas.

God forbid we should ever be bored. 😬🙃
I say this not as a personal dig at you, @Roland49, but as a general indictment of our culture - which has trained all of us to have the attention span of crickets. Me too, not infrequently. So the boring bits can be used to good effect, undoing a little of that conditioning.

God forbid we should ever be bored. 😬🙃
I say this not as a personal dig at you, @Roland49, but as a general indictment of our culture - which has trained all of us to have the attention span of crickets. Me too, not infrequently. So the boring bits can be used to good effect, undoing a little of that conditioning.
Good point.
We had to decide: walk further on at 37°C and middays sun or wait 30mins for the bus.
Only two out of a group of 8 pilgrims walked on towards León. Never met them again ;)

Here it is, with bathrooms behind the church outdoors.
After you cross over the river from Parador de San Marcos, it is an hour walk to Virgin. Just do it
Here is the church Virgin del Camino. I appreciated the bathrooms outdoors.
EDIT- Actually the bathrooms were located in front, opposite the entry to go in to the church.
20170507_105629~2.jpg

Last edited:
the bathrooms were located in front, opposite the entry to go in to the church.
I had no idea the toilets were there. 🤣Lucky, I suppose, not to have that as a priority that day.

We had to decide: walk further on at 37°C and middays sun or wait 30mins for the bus
That's another story, not boredom! ☀️☀️☀️🫠

Last time I walked that section it was my day of 7 breakfasts. I find the first part of that day better than the second part.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think taking the bus into and/or out of Leon may be one of the parts of the Camino i would consider if i was pressed for time and had to make up some. It is, in my opinion, not horrible, but not pretty either.
But as many have already pointed out, there are not only pretty things in life. I would even go as far as to say that without some "ugliness" you can't really appreciate the beauties out there. So since i thankfully was never that pressed for time i always walked and i am very fine with that. As a plus, you pass the "Babu Afrika" bar, which is a great stop for a coffee (which came with a generous free tortilla and a bit of orange juice as well).

I remember the Hobit Holes. I forgot, what are they?

So true. I rank that with the too often heard, "The Meseta's boring. Give it a miss". Those that do, don't know what they're missing
Exactly, if I had a dollar for every person who told me that one ... yet, it was the best experience of the Camino. Bottom line is, you have to do it ... warts and all as it is part of the experience. Buen Camino 🙋‍♀️

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I searched the forum and only saw threads about Portugal. I was googling for info about the fires, and Google Maps showed one in Spain. No idea how...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back