• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending a Box from UK to Australia - Best Way?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
For our next Camino, we're spending a week in the UK prior.
It's for a 50th reunion so we need to take some 'decent' clothes. Suit, shoes etc.

The plan then, is to send all that stuff back home to Sydney Australia in a box.

For those living in the UK or who have done a similar thing, what would you suggest as the best options?

We'll likely depart UK from Stansted.

I see there are luggage services avaiable, but they are not cheap.
Maybe the Post Office?

I had thought of leaving the box there to be picked up on our way back home but (a) Left luggage is very expensive and (b) I think we'll probably head home from Paris or Madrid, not the UK.

Ideas?

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I know this is not exactly what youā€™ve asked @Robo but what about posting it to Ivar? Iā€™d think that would be cheaper than to Oz. Either that or be Stylish Pilgrim!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Robo
Iā€™ve posted stuff from Santiago back to Oz on a few occasions now. Costs a bit (unfortunately increased a lot over recent years)ā€¦but is ā€˜goneā€™ and no longer an issue to face later. Iā€™ve posted it to a relative in same town as I live / it arrives back before me and is safe ,

But alternativelyā€¦

Are you checking luggage from uk to Spain for your camino later? Probably checking luggage from Oz to Uk.

If you have accommodation booked for your arrival in spain and youā€™re likely to return to it before heading home ā€¦ enquire whether they would hold a parcel there for you and then just include in your checked luggage returning to Oz.
Iā€™ve done that a few times ā€¦. with Santiago (San MartĆ­n Pinario ).. also in Madrid at hostel I stayed at. They didnā€™t have a problem either and neither places charged for it. (It could be an issue if it was a big item possibly but yours would bundle up ok ).

Enjoy your UK reunion
& buen camino.

I know this is not exactly what youā€™ve asked @Robo but what about posting it to Ivar? Iā€™d think that would be cheaper than to Oz. Either that or be Stylish Pilgrim!

we won't end in Santiago on this trip.........(different one)
Once we depart UK we will only have backpacks and where we go is very fluid.
So we won't be 'going back' to anywhere, and we won't even know where we will depart Europe from.

So we really need to ditch the suitcase in UK.

Last edited:
Have you checked the price of posting it via the GPO? It would be slow but possibly not that expensive (mind you, 2.50 for a postcard suggests otherwise). Worth checking out though.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One method I've used when overseas is Posta Restante (aka General Delivery). When you get to the UK, send the box to yourself at a Post Office at your last location in the UK. They will keep it for 18 days (20 days if you allow for 2 days transit to the destination).

Pick it up again and relabel to France or Spain and send it by courier

Have used Posta Restante in a few European countries and it works well. (Should do as it been about for ever). Have not tried international Posta Restante where you would send it to France/Spain but it should work as advertised.

Then you can fly it all back to Oz.

One method I've used when overseas is Posta Restante (aka General Delivery). When you get to the UK, send the box to yourself at a Post Office at your last location in the UK. They will keep it for 18 days (20 days if you allow for 2 days transit to the destination).

This would work well, if we were returning to the UK. But we're not :oops:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for all the ideas folks.

I think the simplest option, given that our onward journey and exit point from Europe is somewhat unknown, and does not involve Santiago, will be to simply mail it home from a Post Offce near Stanstead.

(this is not related to our Madrid Camino - that's a lot simpler)

DPD looks reasonably priced. The Post Office is ridiculously expensive and they use DPD anyway. Direct with DPD cheapest is Ā£52 for a 5kg parcel. Post Office is over Ā£300.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
www.postoffice.co.uk for information about cost of posting and location of post offices. There isn't a post office at Stansted airport. So best to look near where you will be staying. If you have a choice, I find it's often quicker to use smaller PO branches than ones in main towns Feel free to pm me if you need more specific help as I live quite close to the airport. My trawl shows PO as cheapest to Australia!

This might be an alternate as well:

We have two MailBoxes ETC offices in Santiago and they ship with "all" the private shippers. You might even get a quote for shipping things home if you contact one of these offices with the size and weight of your box... just to get an idea.

www.postoffice.co.uk for information about cost of posting and location of post offices. There isn't a post office at Stansted airport. So best to look near where you will be staying. If you have a choice, I find it's often quicker to use smaller PO branches than ones in main towns Feel free to pm me if you need more specific help as I live quite close to the airport. My trawl shows PO as cheapest to Australia!
Many thanks.
I found the local POs.
Stansted and Elsenham.
Looks like about Ā£ 80 for a 5kg box.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
DPD looks reasonably priced. The Post Office is ridiculously expensive and they use DPD anyway. Direct with DPD cheapest is Ā£52 for a 5kg parcel. Post Office is over Ā£300.

Yes it looks good. Though a Post Office may be easier and less hassle at about Ā£80

Unless you have a car in the UK Elsenham is a fiddle to get to. Stansted PO is reasonably close to Stansted Mountfitchet rail station.

Most read last week in this forum

So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
Unfortunately Iā€™ve become too ill to continueā€”I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? Iā€™m so sad I canā€™t Go on. Iā€™ll...
Hey everyone, this is just a heads-up that I'll be heading to Camino in the first week of October. My flight from the US to Madrid will arrive at 7:20 p.m. The last trip to Sarria is at 8:23 p.m...
Hello, I am new here. My husband and I plan to walk the Camino in Spring of 2025. In preparation of this I have been researching and reading. I came across a map which was interactive. It showed...
Hi everyone. Iā€™m flying back to Chicago from Madrid after walking the CF in late November. Iā€™ll be taking a cab to a hotel near CDG airport to fly out next day. It appears to be a long distance...
Hey veteran pilgrims - of which I am one - is it common in mid October for all fast trains from Madrid to Leon to be ā€œsold outā€ six weeks out from travel? Itā€™s been 10 years since I have done a...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back