• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Tension between spontaneity & planning

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think more than planning and spontaneity, it is about knowing your resources. Talk to other pilgrims. Talk to the hospitalero. Look at Gronze.com. look at apps, planning books. Know a few key phrases. Use Google translate if needed. All these things help with spontaneity. I don't like to lock myself in unless that is important such as an upcoming Spanish holiday or a special place I want to stay such as a paradore, etc.

New pilgrims are limited because they don't use all these resources together and then become frantic the first time something unexpected comes up. It taints their experience and creates a fear so they pre-plan everything for the unforeseeable future.

I think more than planning and spontaneity, it is about knowing your resources.
This is so important. You don't need to have all the answers (especially if you don't know what the questions will be!), but knowing where to find the answers is key. And this forum is a great resource for that.

After reading several posts today, I am reminded of two old sayings that were a major part of my adult life:

1. Proper prior planning prevents poor performance.

2. No plan survives initial contact with the enemy. That's why you make more than one plan.
Re: the second part of 2. The first part of 2 is also likely to apply to Plan B and Plan C, etc. That's why I use my planning less to determine what I will actually do "on the ground" and more to inform my decisions, which I like to make at late as possible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is so important. You don't need to have all the answers (especially if you don't know what the questions will be!), but knowing where to find the answers is key. And this forum is a great resource for that.
That was our motto in library school. We don't know the answers but we know where to find them!

Re: the second part of 2. The first part of 2 is also likely to apply to Plan B and Plan C, etc. That's why I use my planning less to determine what I will actually do "on the ground" and more to inform my decisions, which I like to make at late as possible.

Good point. 100%

I'm an avid planner. But don't really stick to it once I start.

In my research of the route I'm 'aware' of trouble spots like long sections without water, limited accommodation etc. And that research also makes be aware of what's along the route, off the route, what other people have done on that section etc........ That allows me to relax when walking.

An example being the 27 km section on the VdlP with no water, from Villafranca de los Barros to Torremejia. And the weather was quite warm.

I knew to carry plenty of water. And I knew that there were two 'bale out' points along the way, to a village some 4 kms off the Camino if I got into trouble.

Knowing that allowed me to make sensible decisions along the walk. And I was aware of the "point of no return", when it made sense, as it was shorter, to keep going rather than turn back.

So not really a case of a 'rigid' plan. Just being aware of the route and therefore able to make the right call if something unexpected happened. And the unexpected can often happen when we are at a physical and mental low point........ another reason to know ahead what your options are.

As it turned out? It was a great day. Right toward the upper end of my comfort distance (due to bad knees etc), but it turned out way better than expected. Mainly due to the wonderful walking surface and the distant mountains view.

But hey. Walking a popular route like the Frances is far less potential drama!

Now walking with my wife? Far more stressful and requires much more planning!! :oops:

Particularly in matters of where to eat. "How come we didn't know about this place"?
Thais seem to live for food......... :rolleyes:

I will now have a plan for, which I didn't, the phone collapsing. Two days on San Salvador it periodically didn't work after water damage, I was without GPS, opportunities to translate, call, booking, know where the shops or next place could be, accommodation etc. Outside of civilization and no pilgrims in sight, it felt a bit scary to only have yellow arrows, which I missed out a few times. Realized the Camino could be just like home, wilderness. And should definately have planned better. My very few plans was written on my phone, and just done another Camino, my head was occupied with that one.

From now on, a paper map, compass, paper guidebook and translation book will be with me. And extra charger, cable and waterproof bag for the phone. Most of all, I would like an extra phone, but I understand that is taking it too far. Of other things, not much planning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will now have a plan for, which I didn't, the phone collapsing. Two days on San Salvador it periodically didn't work after water damage, I was without GPS, opportunities to translate, call, booking, know where the shops or next place could be, accommodation etc. Outside of civilization and no pilgrims in sight, it felt a bit scary to only have yellow arrows, which I missed out a few times. Realized the Camino could be just like home, wilderness. And should definately have planned better. My very few plans was written on my phone, and just done another Camino, my head was occupied with that one.

From now on, a paper map, compass, paper guidebook and translation book will be with me. And extra charger, cable and waterproof bag for the phone. Most of all, I would like an extra phone, but I understand that is taking it too far. Of other things, not much planning.
I always travel with a spare phone. By the end of my contract the ‘trade in’ value is so low it makes more sense to keep my old phone. There is no phone number and therefore no data or calling, but it will work on WiFi.

I was in a country last week that prohibits google, google maps, WhatsApp and so on and it was quite disconcerting initially. Got to grips with it, and quite enjoyed the ‘release’ but wouldn’t fancy being phoneless on a Camino with the need to book hotac every day.

Last edited:

A great tip I got from a fellow member, whom I met on the VdlP. Is to take print outs of the gronze map, 3 to a page double sided. And make notes on it. Worked out Great!

They just happened to have a spare set to give me. Bit of an overplanner L ? 🤣

maps.webp

After reading several posts today, I am reminded of two old sayings that were a major part of my adult life:

2. No plan survives initial contact with the enemy. That's why you make more than one plan.
And battles are always fought at the junction of two maps, in the rain.

I plan how to get to my start point and home from my end point. Generally I research the bit in the middle and see how it goes

A proverb that I like to keep in mind is “A plan is nothing – planning is everything”. To me it boils down to 1) prepare yourself as well as you can and 2) be resourceful.

prevents poor performance
That assumes that you are wanting "good" performance (what ever that is) and that you have some way of measuring "performance".

Me, I am more interested in doing stuff, particularly interesting stuff. I also like working out a solution to a difficult issue.

What you might see as a problem, I see as an opportunity to do something interesting.

Very, very occasionally there might be consequential things that arise.

If I didn't know beforehand that the trail had no water for 27 kilometers AND it was very hot AND I hadn't packed sufficient water AND my mobile phone had no signal AND I wasn't carrying my PLB AND .... then it is possible that this could be fatal. However, such situations are very rare in modern society.

Usually I just work it out as I need to.

Anything that can go wrong will go wrong

Again, we need a definition of "wrong". Of course it might go "different" but that is not the same as wrong. You might not get the outcome that you wanted but it just might be the outcome that you need at that moment in your life.

One thing that I have learned very, very clearly over the past 13 months is that ALL of the times during my life when I have been really sad and down have been when I have created an expectation about something and then that expectation has not been met.

I am certainly not (yet 😉) perfect in this but bit by bit I am learning to live in this moment and not some other moment that I was expecting, planning or hoping for.

Last edited:
This is so important. You don't need to have all the answers (especially if you don't know what the questions will be!),
This reminded me of a new old saying:
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tends to be the difficult ones.
Okay, so really a quote, not a saying. Details at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_unknown_unknowns

By reading the many threads on this forum you may discover many unknown unknowns and turn things around to known known.

And now you know why you're here. ;)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Anything that can go wrong will go wrong
Again, we need a definition of "wrong". Of course it might go "different" but that is not the same as wrong. You might not get the outcome that you wanted but it just might be the outcome that you need at that moment in your life.
I'm pretty sure that Murphy would have been happy to have discussed the definition of wrong. That would have been before trying to fix his toaster though.

One thing that I have learned very, very clearly over the past 13 months is that ALL of the times during my life when I have been really sad and down have been when I have created an expectation about something and then that expectation has not been met.
❤️

In the environment of the Camino, it could be thought that neither, would be applicable.

Alternately, when lans are made, there is always a chance where Mr. Murphy may get his chance…😎

All I ever planned was my first night in St Jean and even then yhe albergue closed and never informed anyone that they were gone. Fortunately got into Belari. I then started walking. No plans, no reservations no backpack transport, just one foot in front of the other. Walked twice in 2013 then '15, '16 and '18 and everything worked out fine. Didnt even plan flights home, just booked them a few days out fron Santiago. I am a big believer in the old saying 'the best laid plans of mice and men aft go awry'

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And battles are always fought at the junction of two maps, in the rain.

I plan how to get to my start point and home from my end point. Generally I research the bit in the middle and see how it goes
I travel without phone, just follow the arrows. I don't buy anything special for the camino. I am not going up the Kilimanjaro or Everest. The camino for me is a long quiet hike with a bed in an albergue at night, cafés and restaurants and occasionally shops on the way. My normal clothes are fine; my normal socks are fine; my sneakers are fine... but at 76 years old and 115 lbs, I don't carry my bag. This makes all the difference.

Last edited:
I think more than planning and spontaneity, it is about knowing your resources. Talk to other pilgrims. Talk to the hospitalero. Look at Gronze.com. look at apps, planning books. Know a few key phrases. Use Google translate if needed. All these things help with spontaneity. I don't like to lock myself in unless that is important such as an upcoming Spanish holiday or a special place I want to stay such as a paradore, etc.

New pilgrims are limited because they don't use all these resources together and then become frantic the first time something unexpected comes up. It taints their experience and creates a fear so they pre-plan everything for the unforeseeable future.
I couldn't agree more.
I don't think in terms of planning so much as preparation, or as you call it, knowing your resources. Research plays a major role for me.
I have a plan in so much as I set my arrival and departure dates based on that research, for example how quickly the majority of people walk my intended route. I book my flights, first and last nights, and then just take it as it comes.
But I can do that because I have resources to hand - not the least of which is experience.
It's something that everybody on this thread has: whether it be lots of camino, travel, or simply life experience (or a combination of all three!) .

I recall the issues you faced, it's something that could happen to anyone that relies on technology. Especially if we haven't familiarised ourselves with it properly first (like many of us nowadays).
I recall that when you got lost you did better without the phone than with - you gave up relying on the phone and headed for the road that you could hear in the distance, flagged down a car and got assistance.
I carry a notebook with all important information written down, but that's it.
Suggestion: a second phone would be a lot lighter than guidebook, translation book, compass etc. It doesn't have to be expensive just functional, but you do need to know how to use it before leaving. Plus load all of the relevant apps, and know how to use them too! Battery charged, and stashed away in a ziplock bag to keep dry.
That assumes that you are wanting "good" performance (what ever that is) and that you have some way of measuring "performance".
One possible definition of performance is success or failure in whatever it was you set out to achieve. It can be as complicated as a series of goals to tick off, or as simple as staying alive !

You are able to "just work it out as you need to' because you have the resources to hand. Research, equipment, experience.... .
These are what enables you to turn a potential problem into "an opportunity to do something interesting".

I think that @tpmchugh's and @danielle aird's point is very valid, let's face it everybody on here used to survive perfectly well without all of this tech.

When I first started travelling in the late 80's I bought a ticket somewhere, read a book or two if available, talked to anybody I could find that had been there; possibly visited the local Information Centre upon arrival (if there was one). I seldom spoke the language (in those days I only spoke English) but always had one or two key phrases written down, and made sure to have some local currency (plus a few US dollars stashed away of course). Didn't have any arrows to follow, let alone Albergues to stay at.

I didn't just survive, I thrived.
I sometimes think we over complicate life....

Absolutely yes . . . after the 1st day of the trek or of a battle, all plans made are tossed aside as they are worthless. Good point. Chuck

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Well said!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
One possible definition of performance is success or failure in whatever it was you set out to achieve. It can be as complicated as a series of goals to tick off, or as simple as staying alive !
I guess that with this definition I must be a success because I am still alive, however, it follows that ultimately I will fail.

At a more detailed level it would appear that I am highly successful because I have always done things. I might not have gotten the result that I thought that I might get but there has always been a result.

In this, I think that we will differ. Your attention seems to be on the result while mine is on the activity.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The best plan is to not have a plan. But be prepared for unforeseen surprises. And live in the now.

Murphy's 2 laws:

1) If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong.
2) If anything that can go wrong does not go wrong, in the long run, It would be best if it went wrong.

Actually, most of the time things work out or at least for me. I have some expectations, but if they don't pan out, I try not to be too annoyed and just start working on a solution.

I have helped people who were facing an issue with beds and rooms and it feels good to help them. Pay it forward and lets not blame newer pilgrims for not knowing something that seems second nature now to Camino veterans. Let's help educate them in person and here on the forum.

Edit: Don't want to be a Pollyanna, but the thread is taking a negative turn.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If someone asks me for help I will usually try to help them in some way. My help may not be in the format that they had in mind when they approached me but I will strive to make my help useful from my point of view.

David. I love that you research (plan)to inform your decisions - which you delay as long as possible. Sounds exactly like my strategy ( or semi- kinda - strategy)!

So, if you plan to hike the Camino when it's not very busy.
Is that the end of your planning?

This is an interesting topic that gets covered sporadically from time to time, but this thread puts nearly all the pieces together in one place.

I have enjoyed reading the majority of the many posts and am giving nearly all of them an unseen "Like"👍, no matter which approach they take on planning/not planning. All seem valid to me, and I fall somewhere in the middle, but since my first Camino in 2015, I have gone from totally winging everything as a newbie, to slowly have added more planning with all the many resources available. This applies mostly to lodging and train/bus decisions before leaving home. So far I have not encountered glitches, but injury/health can change plans drastically as I often read happens.

I do not plan restaurants with the exception of "Me Gusta Comer"😂 on the Sanabres, and I fall short on researching some of the special things to do or see in a particular area or city beyond the tourist things. Reading forum posts sometimes makes me aware of what I've missed after the fact.

As an arch planner, who has changed my ways since walking a camino, I am finding this a very interesting thread. I think getting the balance boils down to preparedness and expectations.

I was recently telling a couple of 20-something relatives, both keen on travelling, of plans to visit Naples. They were horrified, and warned me strongly of the dangers there. Afterwards I contacted to them to confirm that my time had been trouble free and my relatives asked if I'd felt on edge all the time.

Well, no.

Thinking about this on the long journey home, I realised that for me there are three relevant factors.

Firstly, preparedness. Safe travel practices as routine . Valuables on my body, split up cash, don't bring anything irreplaceable, watch out in crowds, have back ups of critical documents, carry some snacks, know what's on the route ahead if walking.

Secondly, expectations. For me a "what's the worst that can happen and if it does what can I do about it?" mindset. This came to me on train in India which was running late and I got very anxious about arriving after dark instead of in daylight as planned. I realised that the answer was just to get transport instead of walking to accommodation which I normally do. Are all the "find the best albergue/restaurant etc" questions which appear on this forum potentially setting people up for anxiety and disappointment?

Thirdly, experience. I worked out that I'd spent the equivalent of about 6 years travelling (over 50+ years), mostly independently and often solo. In that time there was just one incident, when I was attacked and robbed. Against that hundreds if not thousands of people welcoming and helping me. So many acts of kindness and wonderful experiences. That brings confidence.

Those who are old enough to have walked or travelled before the internet and mobile phones gave so much choice and ease of planning and staying in touch were, I think, fortunate in many ways. But perhaps older people just always feel their upbringing gave them something valuable.

Last edited:

When travelling solo I was conscious I had no one else’s phone as a back up. Took paper copies of boarding passes, list of phone numbers of family at home, map, list of places I had booked. Phone can always break or get lost.

Just the 6 Ps in my military career, not necessarily the Ps you had listed.

Reply to item 2,

My first four days (left SJPDP 12/10, day before my 65 birthday) were going swimmingly, until my e-Trike (I have already requested permission to use this from SDC Pilgrims Office due to my injuries south of my shoulders/chest) went over a kerb that didn’t look that high (but obviously was) and lost all power so I continued in gear 1 of my Rohloff gearbox for 6km to my campsite. Unfortunately the campsite slope was too much for my leg strength so I pulled the trike behind me with one hand, whilst using 1(of 2) walking sticks in the other … the inevitable happened and my spinal cord between my shoulders had a hissy fit and both legs collapsed, I always have a crocodile strap between me and the trike in case this happens (more often than you might think) so trike was OK. Got to the top of Camping Ezcaba Pamplona slope to have another collapse in front of the staff … this time ripping right brake hose out of caliper.

Oh how I laughed, interspersed with a few muttered anglo-saxon words, still if you can’t take a joke you shouldn’t have joined.

This morning I believe I have got the battery power back, once the monsoon rains ease off I’ll refit and bleed right brake … not somewhere I would consider using just one brake on a heavily ladened trike.

Last edited:
I
As an arch planner, who has changed my ways since walking a camino, I am finding this a very interesting thread. I think getting the balance boils down to preparedness and expectations.

I was recently telling a couple of 20-something relatives, both keen on travelling, of plans to visit Naples. They were horrified, and warned me strongly of the dangers there. Afterwards I contacted to them to confirm that my time had been trouble free and my relatives asked if I'd felt on edge all the time.

Well, no.

Thinking about this on the long journey home, I realised that for me there are three relevant factors.

Firstly, preparedness. Safe travel practices as routine . Valuables on my body, split up cash, don't bring anything irreplaceable, watch out in crowds, have back ups of critical documents, carry some snacks, know what's on the route ahead if walking.

Secondly, expectations. For me a "what's the worst that can happen and if it does what can I do about it?" mindset. This came to me on train in India which was running late and I got very anxious about arriving after dark instead of in daylight as planned. I realised that the answer was just to get transport instead of walking to accommodation which I normally do. Are all the "find the best albergue/restaurant etc" questions which appear on this forum potentially setting people up for anxiety and disappointment?

Thirdly, experience. I worked out that I'd spent the equivalent of about 6 years travelling (over 50+ years), mostly independently and often solo. In that time there was just one incident, when I was attacked and robbed. Against that hundreds if not thousands of people welcoming and helping me. So many acts of kindness and wonderful experiences. That brings confidence.

Those who are old enough to have walked or travelled before the internet and mobile phones gave so much choice and ease of planning and staying in touch were, I think, fortunate in many ways. But perhaps older people just always feel their upbringing gave them something valuable.
had 2 years working in Napoli … it was wonderful.

They need to 'get out more' :)

Jeez, when I think of some of the places I've travelled in my 67 years.........
Only about 30 countries I think, so by no means like these kids and digital nomads, who roam the World these days, but some really dodgy places!

I'm still alive. 😜 (common sense precautions)

We have Naples on our plans for next trip.
The food sounds great there.
And 'home' of the Pizza.
And........'Antica Osteria Nonna Rosa' (run by famous chef Peppe Guida)

When travelling solo I was conscious I had no one else’s phone as a back up. Took paper copies of boarding passes, list of phone numbers of family at home, map, list of places I had booked. Phone can always break or get lost.
Medical insurance, medical insurance and more medical cover. Oh, if you have restricted drugs prescribed make sure it is OK’d before you go to AN Other country. Go Fund Me wouldn’t be half as popular if people engaged that special muscle.

They need to 'get out more' :)

Jeez, when I think of some of the places I've travelled in my 67 years.........
Only about 30 countries I think, so by no means like these kids and digital nomads, who roam the World these days, but some really dodgy places!

I'm still alive. 😜 (common sense precautions)

We have Naples on out plans for next trip.
The food sounds great there.
And 'home' of the Pizza.
Naples is fantastic and it’s a shame that so many folks land there, bypass it and head off to the upmarket areas. Not sure I can think of a European city that has a more indeserving reputation as Naples (admittedly the area around the station is quite an eye opener!) but never any problems at all!

Naples is fantastic and it’s a shame that so many folks land there, bypass it and head off to the upmarket areas. Not sure I can think a European city that doesn’t deserve it reputation as much as Naples (admittedly the area around the station is quite an eye opener!) but never any problems at all!

Everywhere has dodgy places. You just stay away from them! ;)
(Street Smarts)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everywhere has dodgy places. You just stay away from them! ;)
Unless that is where your house is. Denied a decent chinese takeaway for nearly a month in 2009 after there was a punch up (involving very loud weapons) between the local chaps wearing sunglasses and North Africans over whose girls could work outside the restaurant … homeside won 3-0, but then they knew to bring a gun to a knife party.

Well some countries in my experience have very few dodgy areas, and some have many. It can be a close call sometimes. Some places you can go from safe to unsafe in a matter of streets.
It also helps for folks like me if a fair sprinkling of the rental properties were allegedly owned by locals with sunglasses (guns optional), those with broken noses knew exactly who you worked for.

Balance between planning and spontaneity? I'm setting off for my third Camino next March. I'm sure I have all I need (& more!) but being in planning mode helps use up some of my excitement & anticipation which otherwise explodes all over everyone around me. Girl Guides motto, Be Prepared, is in my blood, but loving adventure and my experiences in life have taught me to love being adaptable. My balance scales I enjoy riding like standing on the fulcrum of a see-saw.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Bit of wishful thinking here. We were looking at our options over lunch today. I'd love to retire, but can't unfortunately. But I can work remotely. And ease back my working hours a bit. I'm...
Congratulations Ivar. We are starting the third decade of the Camino de Santiago forum. The first post available for us to see is #1 on thread #3, titled “Hostal Suso” dated October 12, 2004...
After reading several posts today, I am reminded of two old sayings that were a major part of my adult life: 1. Proper prior planning prevents poor performance. 2. No plan survives initial...
An interesting read............. Probably AI generated. :rolleyes: (edit, though as pointed out below it was written prior to AI) Why Intelligent People Prefer To Socialize Less
Does anyone know if there’s an actual currency exchange place in St. Jean? I am aware that I can get money out of ATM machines. Thanks in advance!
It’s 6:38 am, in a dorm of 20 beds, all full, but no one is awake or moving. Do I start to get ready? We all have to check out by 8:30 Usually the majority of people are up getting breakfast? I...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back