• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Tension between spontaneity & planning

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I think more than planning and spontaneity, it is about knowing your resources. Talk to other pilgrims. Talk to the hospitalero. Look at Gronze.com. look at apps, planning books. Know a few key phrases. Use Google translate if needed. All these things help with spontaneity. I don't like to lock myself in unless that is important such as an upcoming Spanish holiday or a special place I want to stay such as a paradore, etc.

New pilgrims are limited because they don't use all these resources together and then become frantic the first time something unexpected comes up. It taints their experience and creates a fear so they pre-plan everything for the unforeseeable future.

After reading several posts today, I am reminded of two old sayings that were a major part of my adult life:

1. Proper prior planning prevents poor performance.

2. No plan survives initial contact with the enemy. That's why you make more than one plan.
Re: the second part of 2. The first part of 2 is also likely to apply to Plan B and Plan C, etc. That's why I use my planning less to determine what I will actually do "on the ground" and more to inform my decisions, which I like to make at late as possible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is so important. You don't need to have all the answers (especially if you don't know what the questions will be!), but knowing where to find the answers is key. And this forum is a great resource for that.
That was our motto in library school. We don't know the answers but we know where to find them!

Re: the second part of 2. The first part of 2 is also likely to apply to Plan B and Plan C, etc. That's why I use my planning less to determine what I will actually do "on the ground" and more to inform my decisions, which I like to make at late as possible.

Good point. 100%

I'm an avid planner. But don't really stick to it once I start.

In my research of the route I'm 'aware' of trouble spots like long sections without water, limited accommodation etc. And that research also makes be aware of what's along the route, off the route, what other people have done on that section etc........ That allows me to relax when walking.

An example being the 27 km section on the VdlP with no water, from Villafranca de los Barros to Torremejia. And the weather was quite warm.

I knew to carry plenty of water. And I knew that there were two 'bale out' points along the way, to a village some 4 kms off the Camino if I got into trouble.

Knowing that allowed me to make sensible decisions along the walk. And I was aware of the "point of no return", when it made sense, as it was shorter, to keep going rather than turn back.

So not really a case of a 'rigid' plan. Just being aware of the route and therefore able to make the right call if something unexpected happened. And the unexpected can often happen when we are at a physical and mental low point........ another reason to know ahead what your options are.

As it turned out? It was a great day. Right toward the upper end of my comfort distance (due to bad knees etc), but it turned out way better than expected. Mainly due to the wonderful walking surface and the distant mountains view.

But hey. Walking a popular route like the Frances is far less potential drama!

Now walking with my wife? Far more stressful and requires much more planning!! :oops:

Particularly in matters of where to eat. "How come we didn't know about this place"?
Thais seem to live for food......... :rolleyes:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Bit of wishful thinking here. We were looking at our options over lunch today. I'd love to retire, but can't unfortunately. But I can work remotely. And ease back my working hours a bit. I'm...
When the Santiago pilgrim office opened this morning the running total of Compostelas issued for this year stood at 445,807. Today they handed out another 1,897. Making the new total for the year...
Are bed bugs a problem in the winter months? I’ve had a few run-ins with bed bugs at rentals. They are the most disgusting, invasive, awful things in the world. Thanks in advance
Congratulations Ivar. We are starting the third decade of the Camino de Santiago forum. The first post available for us to see is #1 on thread #3, titled “Hostal Suso” dated October 12, 2004...
This was a rather last minute arrangement. About 3 weeks ago I saw a window in my life to get some time to myself and booked a flight to Lisbon from Christchurch New Zealand. I'm spending 36 days...
An interesting read............. Probably AI generated. :rolleyes: (edit, though as pointed out below it was written prior to AI) Why Intelligent People Prefer To Socialize Less

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back