Post-camino fitness

Jay_Walker

Apr 27, 2022
Vancouver, Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese July 2022
I just finished the VdlP. 1,000km averaging 30km/day over 34 days and 2 rest days. It was challenging - blisters, foot pain and 3 days before SdC I developed shin splints but I was in good shape when I started. It's about 10 days since I finished. I went out and did a big climb (900m) that I used to do in about 70 minutes and it took me 90 minutes. I had to stop multiple times to catch my breath and slowed to a crawl. I have only done one other hike since coming home, 8 km (5 miles?) which felt fine. I was expecting to sprint up that hill in record time. Is it possible my fitness has declined over the course of my camino? I'm 62 years old, maybe I just underestimated the toll this takes on your body. I lost about 10 lbs (5%) and admittedly wasn't eating a great diet.

Maybe it's just jet lag (Canada) or just a bad day? Anyone have a similar experience with fatigue after their camino?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
After a long Camino I often feel quite tired and lethargic for a few days afterwards once home. It may be largely psychological but it feels as though my body is recuperating after a long period of unusually strong exercise and sometimes disturbed sleep. Some cumulative tiredness which the enthusiasm I feel while walking has kept suppressed. I find the feeling does pass eventually.

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Just the opposite here. We live at over 7,220 feet elevation (almost 2,200 meters) and I always expect that we'll be able to sprint up the hills on the Camino. Sadly, we still huff and puff along just as if we were at home living at elevation and hiking here...
(aged 62 and 73 here)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

dreaming

Aug 3, 2022
Australia
CF, LE PUY
I am 69. It took me about a week on arriving home to recover after walking the CF. I was aching all over. It just went away. I did have a cold for two weeks and gastro in France before getting on the plane.

Sirage

Apr 15, 2015
Castlemaine
Le Puy to Santiago 2005 and a few more since
I am not qualified in any way to provide a diagnosis or treatment ;) but my reaction to
It was challenging - blisters, foot pain and 3 days before SdC I developed shin splints
is that you overdid it not withstanding any thoughts you have of your level of fitness.

Your body needs time to heal ie "a time for therapy". This is the message your body is telling you quite loudly:-
I had to stop multiple times to catch my breath and slowed to a crawl.
Ease back into your normal life.

An alternative choice you have is:-
Not to overdo it. For example do what I did last year to avoid damage - start easy and build up over the first few weeks -- 1,200 km at an overall average 22 km / day. (your mileage may/will vary, perhaps doing the second half of your walk at 30 or more km/day but starting much lower - smell the roses in the early stage).

My body told me I did not need any therapy time and I could keep walking.

Mar 24, 2023
Germany
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
@Jay_Walker , if you look at any of the through hiker websites the vast majority of people coming out of a significant hike allow themselves up to three months to recuperate. You haven't even had three weeks yet !
Bearing in mind that you appear not to have listened to your body and had overdone it (you probably wouldn't have had shin splints otherwise) it would appear that it would pay you to give your body a little more time to recuperate.

All of that said from simple experience, zero medical training please note

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

wynrich

Jun 9, 2018
USA
CF13, CF14, CP16, VF17, CN18, CN19, CF22, CE23
I just finished the VdlP. 1,000km averaging 30km/day over 34 days and 2 rest days. It was challenging - blisters, foot pain and 3 days before SdC I developed shin splints but I was in good shape when I started. It's about 10 days since I finished. I went out and did a big climb (900m) that I used to do in about 70 minutes and it took me 90 minutes. I had to stop multiple times to catch my breath and slowed to a crawl. I have only done one other hike since coming home, 8 km (5 miles?) which felt fine. I was expecting to sprint up that hill in record time. Is it possible my fitness has declined over the course of my camino? I'm 62 years old, maybe I just underestimated the toll this takes on your body. I lost about 10 lbs (5%) and admittedly wasn't eating a great diet.

Maybe it's just jet lag (Canada) or just a bad day? Anyone have a similar experience with fatigue after their camino?
Just wondering what your elevation is at home? If it is much higher than the Camino, perhaps you have lost your acclimatization to the higher altitude?

Raulvamir

Dec 9, 2023
Orlando
April 2024
I just finished in April a short Camino. Only 128 Km. It took me about two weeks to recover emotionally. It was beautiful and intense and felt a bit out of place after my return. I had hurt my right ankle and developed celulitis during the last few days on exactly the same foot and ankle. It has been two and a half weeks and I am not 100% yet. The celulitis is gone but my ankle is still recovering. I am 71 and my body takes now longer to recover. I appreciate all the comments and the original question. I was asking myself about that.

Reactions: JennyH94
Dec 20, 2023
Victoria, BC, Canada
Camino Portuguese October 2023
I suspect that during your Camino your body adapted to long durations of HR zone 1 and 2 at the expense of your zone 3-4. After doing the Camino Portuguese last year I noticed that I had lost some capacity at medium-high intensity (anaerobic) road bike cycling, but my low intensity rides were easier than before. It came back after a few months on my normal cycling training program.
You may also have lost some climbing specific muscle tone. I noticed that also: after the Camino my cycling specific muscles were fatigued before I was aerobically spent, whereas before the Camino they had adapted to match each other.
Those would explain why the hill climb is so tough but the flatter hike is fine.
I’m 67. It all went back to the previous balance after a few months. I don’t think you need to worry.
I’m not an exercise physiologist, but I believe that anaerobic capacity adaptation takes 3-4 weeks. Muscle strength adaptation is longer: 6-12 weeks, although you probably didn’t lose much of that on the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Scottglen

Jan 26, 2024
Arizona, USA
May 2024

See a doctor?

Katykay

Dec 1, 2022
Australia
September/October 2022

Any unexplained fatigue should be checked out by a doctor. Don’t forget nutrition. Good luck!

Jay_Walker

Apr 27, 2022
Vancouver, Canada
Camino Portuguese July 2022
I suspect that during your Camino your body adapted to long durations of HR zone 1 and 2 at the expense of your zone 3-4.
I think this explains a great deal of it. The VlpD is not particularly hilly and so I probably lost some aerobic fitness. I also likely overdid it, however since I was walking alone I didn't want to take 40-50 days to complete the camino. Live and learn - you don't know until you try. I still enjoyed it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
Any unexplained fatigue should be checked out by a doctor.
I agree. But in this case there seems to be a likely explanation - he has walked over 1000 km in 34 days. The body is asking for a well-earned rest.

Sirage

Apr 15, 2015
Castlemaine
Le Puy to Santiago 2005 and a few more since
I find this an interesting observation, highlighting the diversity of people walking the Caminos.
however since I was walking alone I didn't want to take 40-50 days to complete the camino.
It is apparent that there are others (including myself) who are happy to walk for long periods of time alone.

Each to their own.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Apr 16, 2019
Tamaki Makaurau Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.

My experience is the opposite at age 70.

After my last Camino (approx. 740 klms) I felt so good that I decided to make a point of retaining my fitness by swimming, daily walks and at least one long hike a week in the bush and hills surrounding Tamaki Makaurau Auckland.

I tend not to go climbing but yesterday hiked up a 463 mt hill with a group of friends.

If you are feeling breathless then this might be a useful sign to go visit your doctor for a check up.

Lurch

Jan 15, 2017
CF (parts of) 2018, 2021
Returned 3 weeks ago from walking from Logrono to Ponferrada. Now at 5500 feet elevation. Not walking as much as I should, for me just laziness. Want to walk, but just too many things to do. Maybe next week…

KiwiJohn

Mar 9, 2023
Levin, New Zealand
August 26th 2023
My experience is the opposite at age 70.

After my last Camino (approx. 740 klms) I felt so good that I decided to make a point of retaining my fitness by swimming, daily walks and at least one long hike a week in the bush and hills surrounding Tamaki Makaurau Auckland.

I tend not to go climbing but yesterday hiked up a 463 mt hill with a group of friends.

If you are feeling breathless then this might be a useful sign to go visit your doctor for a check up.
You nailed it. Last week I completed 2x15km hikes over rough terrain in the foothills of the Tararua Ranges. No problem at all.
BTW, I am 73, wanting to keep in shape for next year's Camino del Norte in August.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

DeansFamily

Aug 17, 2017
Coffs Harbour Australia
Frances 18/916/10/17 Muxia/Finisterre 18/10-22/10/17 Norte 21/4-29/5/18 Primitive 20/9-5/10/18 VdlP
We just completed the entire Lycian Way in Turkiye and after a short break we did the Peloponnese Way in Central Greece. Like all our Caminos we have to adjust back to an Eastern Australia timezone which puts us out of sorts for a week and start back on our usual fitness regime to lose those cultural calories. How can you walk 1000 km and gain 5 kilos?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
How can you walk 1000 km and gain 5 kilos?
I've never lost a significant amount of weight on a Spanish Camino. Usually plenty of food available at reasonable prices. I did lose 15kg over 66 days from Canterbury to Rome though. Put it back on fairly quickly once I returned home.

Reactions: DeansFamily

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
There's always somebody posting about dropping out, or taking a break because they're injured, myself included. There seems to have been a few more than usual just lately, although perhaps that's...
I've just returned from the San Salvador/Primitivo and have got Giardia from drinking untreated Water. I filled a bottle in Tineo as the Bar owner said it was good water/better than his Tap. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.