• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is 5 days in Finisterre a bad idea?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
So here’s my situation. I’ll arrive in SDC next week, after walking the VDLP and Sanabrés. I’ll have 4 or 5 days before my flight home from Madrid.

- I don’t want to walk to Finisterre because I’d pretty much have to turn right around and come right back to SDC, and I’d like to have a few days to relax before heading home.

- so I decided to take a bus to Finisterre instead. And I booked a €40 hotel that’s downtown and has a private bath. I’m not doing albergues or dorm rooms or shared bathrooms on my final rest days, no way. I’ve had plenty of that already.

- last year I spent a few days in SDC, so I feel like I’ve already had a good look at that city.

- I considered/intended to spend a few days in Madrid, until I checked hotel prices… Hotels in Madrid and SDC are incredibly expensive (well compared to what I’ve been paying for accommodation since Seville). €150-€200 per night for something fairly basic. I don’t feel like spending that much on a room at this point.

- so this is why I booked the €40 room in Finisterre. I figured I’d relax there, hanging out and eating some good food. But I know nothing of Finisterre.

So, for those familiar with Finisterre, is it a bad idea to spend so much time there? A couple other pilgrims thought it was a terrible idea when I told them. They said one night is plenty, and I won’t want to stay there for 4 or 5 nights.

What say you all? I understand this is a completely subjective question, but I always appreciate the perspective of others on this forum.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd say do it, and maybe use local buses to Muxia and maybe Camariñas. I took a day tour from Santiago that included several stops that I'd definitely go back to visit on a short trip. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It would be too many days for me. How about walking to Muxía and taking the bus from there back to Santiago? Spend a night halfway at Lires.
That would really just be trading hanging out in one spot with walking. Which I get, but I’ve been doing a lot of walking, and putting my tired feet up for a few days has some appeal.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your time would be better spent in SdeC., which has a great deal more to see and experience than most peregrinos realize.
As I mentioned in my OP, I’ve spent time in SDC, and I don’t want to pay for a super expensive hotel, hence me not staying there or Madrid. I don’t disagree that there’s more to see and do there, but it’s a cost thing.

IMHO it's too many days. Not sure there is really enough for more than a day. I'd walk on a bit more rather than sit around but ymmv

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you don't want to do any real walking I can recommend going to A Coruña instead. Lots more to do there than Finisterre.
Maybe that’s something to consider. I picked Finisterre as a default, because that’s where so many go after SDC. But yeah maybe I should look further afield. To be honest I’ve never heard of A Coruña, but if it’s easily reached from SDC then maybe it’s a better option. Thanks for the suggestion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To be honest I’ve never heard of A Coruña, but if it’s easily reached from SDC then maybe it’s a better option. Thanks for the suggestion.
Easier and quicker than Finisterre or Muxía - only a half hour by train.
It's a much bigger city than Santiago, but the old town is compact, and there's quite a bit to do there.

So, for those familiar with Finisterre, is it a bad idea to spend so much time there? A couple other pilgrims thought it was a terrible idea when I told them. They said one night is plenty, and I won’t want to stay there for 4 or 5 nights.
I've booked a roundtrip SdC - Finisterre - Muxia - SdC last year after I finished my CP.

Quite a nice experience. Very nice guide, clean bus. We were ~20 people and had ~1-1,5h time at every stop. In Finisterre we had lunch after sightseeing. It was ok for me, but I had plans for 3 rest days in Porto, so no night at both towns.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've booked a roundtrip SdC - Finisterre - Muxia - SdC last year after I finished my CP.

Quite a nice experience. Very nice guide, clean bus. We were ~20 people and had ~1-1,5h time at every stop. In Finisterre we had lunch after sightseeing. It was ok for me, but I had plans for 3 rest days in Porto, so no night at both towns.
I am planning on doing something like that when I get to Santiago in a few days. Do you remember the name of the company?

If I had the choice I would rather spend those rest days in Muxia, a much nicer town IMO. I found Finisterre too commercialized.
I’m curious what you mean by “commercialized”. Basically I chose Finisterre over Muxía because it’s bigger, and therefore has more restaurants and grocery store options. I’m getting a bit weary of eating bar food in the many villages I’ve been staying in. If I’m going to hang out for several days then I want a variety of food options, including buying food at a large grocery store. Finisterre is not a big city I realize, but it is larger than Muxía, and should have more variety of food options. I also like that it has more than one bus per day to SDC, as I need to return there for my train to Madrid.

I spent 5 nights in Porto last year after my CF. Had a great time there. It’s a beautiful city.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So here’s my situation. I’ll arrive in SDC next week, after walking the VDLP and Sanabrés. I’ll have 4 or 5 days before my flight home from Madrid.

- I don’t want to walk to Finisterre because I’d pretty much have to turn right around and come right back to SDC, and I’d like to have a few days to relax before heading home.

- so I decided to take a bus to Finisterre instead. And I booked a €40 hotel that’s downtown and has a private bath. I’m not doing albergues or dorm rooms or shared bathrooms on my final rest days, no way. I’ve had plenty of that already.

- last year I spent a few days in SDC, so I feel like I’ve already had a good look at that city.

- I considered/intended to spend a few days in Madrid, until I checked hotel prices… Hotels in Madrid and SDC are incredibly expensive (well compared to what I’ve been paying for accommodation since Seville). €150-€200 per night for something fairly basic. I don’t feel like spending that much on a room at this point.

- so this is why I booked the €40 room in Finisterre. I figured I’d relax there, hanging out and eating some good food. But I know nothing of Finisterre.

What say you all? I understand this is a completely subjective question, but I always appreciate the perspective of others on this forum.
I think I’d find 5 days in a hotel room in Fisterra a bit of a challenge. There isn’t much to do once you’ve done it. 5 days in an apartment with a kitchen. I’d have a whale of a time. So much amazing stuff to be found in the fish market!! Otherwise I’d buy a light fly-rod and a few bits and head to Lires.

A Coruna? Great city. Easy to occupy 5 days without having to put much effort in to it.

I think I’d find 5 days in a hotel room in Fisterra a bit of a challenge. There isn’t much to do once you’ve done it. 5 days in an apartment with a kitchen. I’d have a whale of a time. So much amazing stuff to be found in the fish market!! Otherwise I’d buy a light fly-rod and a few bits and head to Lires.

A Coruna? Great city. Easy to occupy 5 days without having to put much effort in to it.
Like this flat!
Starts from 200 € for four nights.

I have spent time in both A Coruna and Finisterre and by far A Coruna would be my choice for 5 days. I was bored to death after 2 nights in Finisterre, there are only a few harbor side bars and restaurants there while A Coruna is bustling with tapas bars and restaurants.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Okay, this was in 2015 but we got an early morning bus from Muxia to A Coruna. It wasn't direct so I was confused at a few stops but we made it. So, anyway, you can visit both towns.

Nobody has mentioned the hiking around Finisterre. I see on the AllTrails site there are 5 decent looking hikes, ranging from 8km to 22km. Would that not be an awesome way to see the coast and area? I know I said I was ready to stop walking and take a rest, but camino walking and going out for a relatively short hike are different. If I had a great little hike to do each day that would be enough to keep me occupied and happy. I live on the Pacific Ocean, so seeing the Atlantic is new and different for me. Would love to hear from anyone that has done any of the recommended hikes around there.

And thanks for everyone’s opinions. They really are helpful.

I wish I had 5 days in Fisterra..I enjoyed one day there a few weeks ago. After the Silver Way to Santiago I pressed on to Fisterra. I found it a perfect place to rest and reflect.. enjoy your walk and buen camino..

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to to support your decision. Walking along the west coast of Spain around Finisterre can't be too much different than walking along the northern coast of California, can it? I guess it all has to do with what are looking for? It boils down to: RnR or hiking, eating and drinking or more backpacking. It did a 5 day trip to the Canary Island after one Camino, that's an option as well. There is a travel bureau across the street from the Pilgrim's Office and they can set you up with a travel package which won't break the bank.

It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to to support your decision. Walking along the west coast of Spain around Finisterre can't be too much different than walking along the northern coast of California, can it?
Not looking for an excuse, just trying to make an informed decision whilst still walking the camino Sanabres. And because I’ve always just assumed I would go to Finisterre I don’t want to abandon the idea too quickly.
I live on the west coast of Canada, not California. And the coastline here is mostly protected by surrounding islands, so no dramatic waves or dramatic anything. It’s a fairly placid coast around where I live.

Reading about the hikes around Finisterre is starting to alleviate my original concerns that I would be bored. I don’t need much to be happy. A hike each day would be more than enough, followed by a couple beers in the late afternoon or evening. I’ll have to do some research on the hikes.

Lots of great options for where to spend those days, and I’m spoiled for choice. Whatever I end up doing I’ll be lucky to have the opportunity, and I’m well aware of that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
too many guys in tie dye parachute pants with dreadlocks for my taste
Really? Are these Spanish guys? Foreign tourists? I had assumed it was full of pilgrims predominantly. I guess I really don’t know much about it! Sounds like a different type of crowd than I’ve been seeing the past month or so.

Edit: I just googled “hippies in Finisterre”. I get it now. Makes sense, given the history of that place.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @JustJack
I’m all for a nice rest before heading home too - especially as weather should be getting nice there.
But you say that one of the reasons for the 5 day plan is that (private) accommodation in sdc is too expensive. Have you checked with San Martin Pinario ? The private single rooms for Peregrinos is 27€ per night and includes a buffet breakfast that is very good. It could be booked out but try emailing them and ask for pilgrim room on 4th floor and they may have at least 1 or 2 nights free before your train to Madrid. That option allows you a few days in Finisterra and a day or two ? Back in Santiago before you head home. & it’s so central (right beside the cathedral / you pass it just before walking under the arch !).

reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu

Either way… enjoy relaxing from your long pilgrimage.

I agree with those who suggested A Coruña - SO much to see but a lot of city walking to get to the really scenic places... or buses... Whatever, enjoy your five days!!

I went to Finistere for two nights by bus at the end of CF. It rained and there wasn't much to do. I was jealous of the pilgrims walking. Two nights were enough for me. There are some amazing hostels in Madrid with curtains around the bed, lockers, trendy bars and eating areas right in the centre of Madrid. They are much more upmarket than the albergues .Another time I spent three nights in Porto. Plenty to see and eat there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I liked Finesterre for one day. Yes, hiking out to the lighthouse and back is probably nice for one day or if the weather is good and you like the beach it might be fine for a couple of days. The nicer beaches are not really in town though. I found the food more expensive there than Muxia and it was more touristy. Yes we found one cute pilgrim bar, but maybe split your days with a couple in Finesterre and a couple in Muxia. For me Muxia was more relaxing. I could sit all day and watch the waves. Really allowed me time to think and relax.

Be aware that more lodging in Finesterre is on the side of a hill and may take some energy walking back and forth between lodging and restaurants. One year Phil booked a reasonable hotel room and it was quite a climb getting back and forth so he spent more time in his room and less getting fresh seafood...

Hi @JustJack
I’m all for a nice rest before heading home too - especially as weather should be getting nice there.
But you say that one of the reasons for the 5 day plan is that (private) accommodation in sdc is too expensive. Have you checked with San Martin Pinario ? The private single rooms for Peregrinos is 27€ per night and includes a buffet breakfast that is very good. It could be booked out but try emailing them and ask for pilgrim room on 4th floor and they may have at least 1 or 2 nights free before your train to Madrid. That option allows you a few days in Finisterra and a day or two ? Back in Santiago before you head home. & it’s so central (right beside the cathedral / you pass it just before walking under the arch !).

reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu

Either way… enjoy relaxing from your long pilgrimage.
Great idea, and I’ll email them today. Seems almost too good to be true, but maybe I’ll get lucky and get a room for a night or two.
Cheers.

Be aware that more lodging in Finesterre is on the side of a hill and may take some energy walking back and forth between lodging and restaurants. One year Phil booked a reasonable hotel room and it was quite a climb getting back and forth so he spent more time in his room and less getting fresh seafood...
The place I’ve booked (which I can cancel with no penalty if I figure out a different option) is located very near the bus station. No idea if that’s up a hill or not.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m curious what you mean by “commercialized”. Basically I chose Finisterre over Muxía because it’s bigger, and therefore has more restaurants and grocery store options. I’m getting a bit weary of eating bar food in the many villages I’ve been staying in. If I’m going to hang out for several days then I want a variety of food options, including buying food at a large grocery store. Finisterre is not a big city I realize, but it is larger than Muxía, and should have more variety of food options. I also like that it has more than one bus per day to SDC, as I need to return there for my train to Madrid.
Probably because Finisterre has a beach it had many stores selling tat, it is after all a seaside town. Muxia has several great restaurants down by the dock/marina, not sure about grocery shopping as it was our last few days we ate out and relaxed. Also some lovely walks in the area if you get bored and not have the messing we saw at the lighthouse in Finisterre.

The place I’ve booked (which I can cancel with no penalty if I figure out a different option) is located very near the bus station. No idea if that’s up a hill or not.
Yes no telling. We were at an ecohotel Siempre Finesterre last summer for a night up the street a few blocks from the bus station and although it was above the main harbor and "downtown" it was not a bad climb. Other places further up had nice views, but steeper to access. It was near a cute pilgrim bar (A Galería Bibliotaberna) and there were some local shops and restaurants nearby away from the expensive restaurants across from the fish auction house down on the harbor.

There is a small castle with a museum about the local fishing history in Finesterre and the fish auction has a walkway above where you can watch the auction and learn about different types of fish being sold.

Our most interesting moments there were watching two local men having a heated verbal disagreement down by the harbor the next morning while we were waiting for our bus to Muxia. Neighbors were ready to separate them as it was near coming to blows and they shouted at each other for at least 10 minutes. Not sure what about, but it seemed fishing work related.

Nothing like that in Muxia. Watched fisherman bring in their catch. At supper we watched diners chose their fish before it was fired for the meal. Sat on our rooftop deck and watched the sun rise and then set in the evening. Watched the waves on the rocks. Picked up shells and sea glass on the small beach at the other end of town.

Neither place is really hopping, but we wanted time to reflect and not a place to party or be entertained. I've been to Finesterre once and Muxia three times (both winter and summer) and Muxia suits me better of the two. I'd probably enjoy living there if that were a possibility.

I am planning on doing something like that when I get to Santiago in a few days. Do you remember the name of the company?
Sad to say, I didn't keep my ticket. But there are some Agencies that offer that trip, almost all to the same price, I paid 45€ last year for the 8hrs. trip.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had assumed it was full of pilgrims predominantly.
Among pilgrims who reach Santiago, very few keep on walking until Fisterra and/or Muxia.
However it is a good idea for those who found the last 100 km hard to endure.
My advice is to spend no more than 2 nights in Fisterra. The walk until the Lightouse, the sunset there, are worth to do. But for the remnant, it is just a touristic city along the sea. Take one day to walk to Muxia and spend the remnant there. It is quieter.
And do not forget to eat zamburiñas !

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and feedback, and patience with my dithering. I’ve made my final choice. Final because it’s non-refundable 😀.

I will be travelling by bus from SDC to Muxía. I’ll stay three nights in Muxía, then walk to Finisterre and stay there for two nights before bussing it back to SDC for my train to Madrid.

I think this option will provide the best of all worlds. I booked a studio apt in Muxía, so I’ll be able to prepare some food myself, and have a bit more space. For no good reason I’ve been leaning away from Muxía, but I’ve only heard good things about it, so I’ve decided to spend 3 nights there.

Thanks again for all the help!

In Finesterre I had two nights at "Mirador Fin Terra", set up on the hill about as high as you can get. Beautiful views from a glass terrace overlooking the bay. We also discovered the quiet beach on the opposite side of the peninsula.
That said, yes, it is a climb up, but well worth it, relaxing, and away from the throngs of people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I stayed in Finisterre some years ago, and enjoyed it, even though it was raining and foggy. I would say a couple of days is enough. You can find some very reasonable places in Madrid. I found a place for about paid 50 euros, with a kitchenette, bathroom and two bedrooms. I will see if I can find it if you would like.

Easier and quicker than Finisterre or Muxía - only a half hour by train.
It's a much bigger city than Santiago, but the old town is compact, and there's quite a bit to do there.

I was looking at the affordable La Coruna guide and the photo of the beach and shoreline looks like the twin of the beach and shoreline in San Sebastian!

I will be travelling by bus from SDC to Muxía. I’ll stay three nights in Muxía, then walk to Finisterre and stay there for two nights before bussing it back to SDC for my train to Madrid
I highly recommend stopping in Lires between Muxía and Finisterre - it makes for a much more relaxing final Camino walk.
I would do two nights each in Muxía and Finisterre, with one night in Lires.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to give you more options, Hostels often have private rooms (or 4 bed dorm) in most cities in Spain at a good price. At age 75, I was comfortable using them.

Nobody has mentioned the hiking around Finisterre. I see on the AllTrails site there are 5 decent looking hikes, ranging from 8km to 22km. Would that not be an awesome way to see the coast and area? I know I said I was ready to stop walking and take a rest, but camino walking and going out for a relatively short hike are different. If I had a great little hike to do each day that would be enough to keep me occupied and happy. I live on the Pacific Ocean, so seeing the Atlantic is new and different for me. Would love to hear from anyone that has done any of the recommended hikes around there.

And thanks for everyone’s opinions. They really are helpful.

I make it a point to visit Finisterre a couple of times per year for 3-5 day mini vacays. As you mentioned, there are some beautiful hikes in the area, and Mar de Fora beach is a beach to be seen at various times of the day. It is only accessible by foot. Catching a great sunset there is amazing, and very much worth the planning. You can walk the entire town and visit shops, restaurants, parks, etc. in a few relaxing hours. From the beaches, there are many trails leading to miradors, offering spectacular views, and I can spend hours watching the ever-changing ocean. I typically go to the Faro, etc. once per trip, but sometimes not, because it’s not my favorite part of the area. This may be the “commercialized” part spoken of above.

I think that you have a realistic view of what this little trip would be like. I would encourage it and I don’t think you would be disappointed. If you are looking for parties, lots of people, and the city life, then you might be, but it doesn’t sound like that’s particularly what you’re looking for.

Regardless of what you do decide, have a wonderful time and enjoy it fully. Buen Camino!

I make it a point to visit Finisterre a couple of times per year for 3-5 day mini vacays. As you mentioned, there are some beautiful hikes in the area, and Mar de Fora beach is a beach to be seen at various times of the day. It is only accessible by foot. Catching a great sunset there is amazing, and very much worth the planning. You can walk the entire town and visit shops, restaurants, parks, etc. in a few relaxing hours. From the beaches, there are many trails leading to miradors, offering spectacular views, and I can spend hours watching the ever-changing ocean. I typically go to the Faro, etc. once per trip, but sometimes not, because it’s not my favorite part of the area. This may be the “commercialized” part spoken of above.

I think that you have a realistic view of what this little trip would be like. I would encourage it and I don’t think you would be disappointed. If you are looking for parties, lots of people, and the city life, then you might be, but it doesn’t sound like that’s particularly what you’re looking for.

Regardless of what you do decide, have a wonderful time and enjoy it fully. Buen Camino!
Thanks for the info. I’m looking forward to it.

I have a few thoughts. If you decide to do Finnesterre, I would see it as home base. Maybe take a bus to Muxia (or walk), explore the coast a bit and come “home” to Finnesterre. It could be relaxing. Have a leisurely breakfast, read on the beach, go for a nice dinner by the sea. Then in the late morning decide on your daily exploration, then come back for a nice evening. I guess in some ways it depends on your rhythm. If you like cities and bustling crowds, you probably will be bored for that many days on the coast.

My other thought is I wonder if there is another way to do Madrid. It is such a great city. Are there albergues (I know you don’t want this, but in Madrid you’d barely be there, also not sure about how many nights they would allow) there that have single rooms? I wonder if there are catholic (I am not one but I am doing this in Paris (single basic room) on my way to the Camino, to stay in a guest house. I might research catholic guest house Madrid and see if anything comes up.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a wonderful ending to your Caminos.

I’d like to have a few days to relax before heading home
I would follow my instincts and stick with the plan that seemed good. Finisterre is a wonderful place to relax and eat great food. It doesn’t sound like you are looking to be an active tourist for 5 days. After walking 1,000 kms on the VdlP and Sanabres this would be a perfect place to chill.
I actually prefer Finisterre to Muxia.

I spent 2 nights there and would have liked to stay one or to nights more. I was so happy to sit on the beach, to walk over the hills to the faro where i could have spent a whole day.
To enjoy the last days as a "cool down", I would not need anythong else than looking at the sea, good seafood, enjoying the calm day. Mayby one day I would take the bus to Muxia and come back in the evening. So, why not decide when you are there, booking 3 nights with the option of staying another two nights?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I spent three days in Finisterre and three in Muxia at the end of my first Camino. I used that time to reread the journal I kept while walking and filling in details. I found this time very calming before returning to "reality".

Muxia would be a better choice and u can swim there at the beach.

Muxia is more quiet and relaxing for sure, has a variety of landscape and sea beauty all around. The seafood is fantastic as well.
Lires is halfway between the two and I always spend a night there and walk out to the sea for a short hike and a drink at the bar on the hill.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I had a room for ONE night in Finisterre. The minute I walked into town I wanted to stay longer. When I got to my room (Albergue/hostel with private rooms...30 something a night) I asked the Hospitalero if it was available for two more nights, thankfully YES. I would have stayed longer if I could. I did the Sanabres in Sept. '23, I would have killed for 5 nights in Fisterra. It is a great town. Buen Camino! Bob

Perhaps there are places I can walk to from Finisterre as a day trip, returning to my hotel at the end of the day? I’ll do my own research of course, but this is how I start my research.
Pack a lunch, Walk up to the lighthouse, take the long leisurely way back to town via the far cost. Secluded beaches and few people on the less trekked paths. But personally I would not spend more than 2 nights in Finisterre. You can bus to A’Coruna and Ferrol for a day or 2 each

I didn't find it a very attractive place. Yes, there's the lighthouse but I was disappointed to find no bar or cafe there. Once you've walked there and back, that's about it. Plus the sea is freezing cold. I only managed a very few minutes in it. I did take the bus there but after one night I returned to Santiago and spent my final night at the Parador. Mind you, there was a very special offer on for oldies like me. Whatever you do, I hope that all goes well and that you enjoy your last few days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There's a hotel with restaurant and a bar up there.
I had a drink with my family at an outdoor bar/table in late May 2017 very near the lighthouse. I can't recall the bar's name, but I remember the view on the website and the warm, sunny day.
Could be the Bar O'Reguxio.

When you walk from Muxia to afisterre there is a little Compostela you get from a small office it’s very unique and lovely keep sake don’t remember the name. I also did Vdlp and Sanabres this year. I arrived in Santiago just after 9 and headed to office and received my voucher for Parador lunch see my attached photo of my etapas to arrange this. The last Albergue is so nice and the lady there really takes care of you. I left early 7 to do the final 9km

Ultreia

Attachments

• IMG_5945.jpeg
    IMG_5945.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Do something totally different, and take a quick train ride to Ourense. The city is more than 1000 years old, and one of my favorite things there is a 1000 year-old bridge that is now just for pedestrians. Near to it is a new stylish bridge (some people say Calatrava designed it; others say he didn't) that doesn't actually work very well. But the real reason the Romans came to Ourense was a large number of hot springs that you can walk to along a pedestrian walkway by the river. One of the furthest ones is commercial, but not expensive. Meanwhile the city has been fixing up some of the older ones, and, as of last summer, were staffed by young people emphasizing maintaining cleanliness. And there was no charge then. Avery pretty central park across from a 14th century church and a really interesting cathedral in a courtyard; it dates back to 1220. Hotels are fairly inexpensive.

Not looking for an excuse, just trying to make an informed decision whilst still walking the camino Sanabres. And because I’ve always just assumed I would go to Finisterre I don’t want to abandon the idea too quickly.
I live on the west coast of Canada, not California. And the coastline here is mostly protected by surrounding islands, so no dramatic waves or dramatic anything. It’s a fairly placid coast around where I live.

Reading about the hikes around Finisterre is starting to alleviate my original concerns that I would be bored. I don’t need much to be happy. A hike each day would be more than enough, followed by a couple beers in the late afternoon or evening. I’ll have to do some research on the hikes.

Lots of great options for where to spend those days, and I’m spoiled for choice. Whatever I end up doing I’ll be lucky to have the opportunity, and I’m well aware of that.
I live in Muxia and walk all around. Sounds like you don’t want to do anything too strenuous so 2 nights in Finisterre, walk the Camino to Lires, an easy 12k, stay the night, and walk another easy 12k to Muxia. Optionally you could walk parts of the Camino de Faros which also connects Finisterre and Muxia but it is very rugged. Also if you walk to Muxia you are welcome at our global pilgrim house. We have 2 private bedrooms for pilgrims. Real sheets and towels. Elisa the resident hospitalera is from Milan and likes to cook Risotto for pilgrims. Donation based.

€149,-

Finisterre is TINY. You need 1 night to see the sunset at the lighthouse. A second night only if you really need more rest. The coastline between Muxia and Finisterre is incredible--but if you don't want to walk it, the bus from Santiago to Finisterre go along the coast (sit in n the side behind the bus driver on the way to Finisterre and on the other side on the way back).

Optionally you could walk parts of the Camino de Faros which also connects Finisterre and Muxia but it is very rugged.
Please, notice that this way along the cliffs is nice but also quite dangerous. My advice is to not be alone on it.
I walked it between Lires and Fisterra last summer, and I was happy to be with a fellow pilgrim.

What say you all? I understand this is a completely subjective question, but I always appreciate the perspective of others on this
hello there that’s a great idea. It’s wonderful to go down a walk on the beach and just relax. We did that last year. I booked a condo for Days and several of the women that I became friends with. I invited to stay with because it was like a 2 Bedroom Pl. completely furnished, it was grand

I completed my first Camino in April. Spent 2 days in Finisterre and really loved the landscape and calm atmosphere! There’s something to be said for NOT having a lot of things to do and reflect! I would actually have loved more time there!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I’am spending 3 nights ther after I walk the Frances and the last 118 km of Portuguese from Valcena. I’ll be done walking by then, just want to sit back and relax by the ocean. It’s not all about just walking every day.

Take a look at Salamanca. Wonderful old university town - plus.. I spent 2 days there and loved it. It is 1/2 way to Madrid

€83,-
It’s a nice quiet sleepy town. I loved spending 3 days there after walking for 30 days. I guess it depends on what you like. I would go for it 🤷🏻‍♀️

It’s a nice quiet sleepy town. I loved spending 3 days there after walking for 30 days. I guess it depends on what you like. I would go for it 🤷🏻‍♀️
Muxia is the sleepier town. I would suggest maybe to consider two days in each, and walking to Lires inbetween to spend a night. You get the five days you mentioned and not at a fast pace.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Coming late to this, but definitely A Coruña instead. It's a vibrant small city with lots of possibilities for walking, eating, and entertaining the mind (historical sites, museums, etc...).

Coming late to this, but definitely A Coruña instead. It's a vibrant small city with lots of possibilities for walking, eating, and entertaining the mind (historical sites, museums, etc...).
I hope to get there one day myself, but my suggestion was the "ease" of just walking and a quick bus back to Santiago.

I hope to get there one day myself, but my suggestion was the "ease" of just walking and a quick bus back to Santiago.
It's actually easier and quicker to take the train to A Coruña than the bus to Fisterra or Muxía.

Screenshot_20240525_194128_Rome2Rio.jpg
Vs

Screenshot_20240525_194300_Rome2Rio.jpg

But I think that it's s moot point now because @JustJack has decided on Fisterra and Muxía.

But for anyone else looking for a great place to spend some post Camino days I can recommend A Coruña.

€46,-
It's actually easier and quicker to take the train to A Coruña than the bus to Fisterra or Muxía.

View attachment 171272
Vs

View attachment 171273

But I think that it's s moot point now because @JustJack has decided on Fisterra and Muxía.

But for anyone else looking for a great place to spend some post Camino days I can recommend A Coruña.
I can't wait to add it in next time myself when I am in Santiago...or just walk the Ingles first? 🙂

Maybe that’s something to consider. I picked Finisterre as a default, because that’s where so many go after SDC. But yeah maybe I should look further afield. To be honest I’ve never heard of A Coruña, but if it’s easily reached from SDC then maybe it’s a better option. Thanks for the suggestion.
A Coruna is lovely. It is one of the two starting points for the Camino de Ingles ( The English Way).....The Hercules Light house is great. Good place to spend a few days,,,,,and great short flight to Madrid.
Buen Camino

Depends on what you want out of those five days. There is not much there, but if you are looking to rest up and process your Camino there is food and a few nice stretches of beach. Muxia is a short bus day trip and is a calm place to also enjoy some vistas. If you are looking to explore, then two days is probably an outside limit.

I agree with the message about move on to Muxia. The town Cee which is on the way to Fins was also very pleasant. I was happy to move on from Finistere after 3 nights and leave it behind me. In Muxia I stayed 5/6 nights much more relaxed!

As I mentioned in my OP, I’ve spent time in SDC, and I don’t want to pay for a super expensive hotel, hence me not staying there or Madrid. I don’t disagree that there’s more to see and do there, but it’s a cost thing.
Maybe take the bus down to Vigo, and then go across by ferry to the north side of the ria? There seem to be a fair number of small hotels--not very expensive--there, and then you can also explore Vigo and maybe the islands, which are a national park?

That's an area I've always wanted to see more of; seems not too pricey, and it's always nice to stay near the water!

I live in Muxia and walk all around. Sounds like you don’t want to do anything too strenuous so 2 nights in Finisterre, walk the Camino to Lires, an easy 12k, stay the night, and walk another easy 12k to Muxia. Optionally you could walk parts of the Camino de Faros which also connects Finisterre and Muxia but it is very rugged. Also if you walk to Muxia you are welcome at our global pilgrim house. We have 2 private bedrooms for pilgrims. Real sheets and towels. Elisa the resident hospitalera is from Milan and likes to cook Risotto for pilgrims. Donation based.
You had me at "risotto".

I arrive in Finistere one day, spend the next day there and then get the bus back to SDC the next morning. That is enough for me.

Take the 5 days in Finisterre ! i spent 5 days last summer recovering from the Camino and it was awesome ! Would recommend the beach on the west side - Praia de Mar de Fora.

I spent a day in Fisterra and it was fine. I spent 4 days in Muxia at a place called Da Costa. Private room. Well equipped kitchen. It was delightful.

One night is really enough. It’s small and there isn’t anything else you can do. After one day go to Muxia by bus and enjoy that also for one day. Then take the bus to Santiago and enjoy this beautiful city one more time.

Most read last week in this forum

A short video about the continuing problem of pilgrims leaving clothing and other items near the lighthouse in Fisterra. A "tradition" which local people would like to see stopped...
Hello, first post - so mods, please move if this isn't an appropriate location for my post. I'm walking to Muxia / Finisterre in September with my husband who is recovering from long covid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back