• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start past Le Puy to save 4-6 days

annabozeman

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hi! I'm new here and to the Camino, but trying to take advantage of a last minute opportunity to get off work for about 3 weeks including travel. I had hoped to do Le Puy to Cahors including the Cele variant. I don't think I have enough days for that at about 24 km/day. Since I'd really like to keep the Cele variant I'm considering starting past Le Puy. Where would be a good starting point I could get to with public transit that would take off about 4-6 days. Perhaps St. Alban sur Limangole, Aumont-Aubrac or Nasbinals? This is all new to me, though I am an experienced hiker/backpacker. So appreciate any guidance and suggestions you can give me :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It would be a pity to miss Le Puy-Conques !
I advice to skip these days elsewhere.
1st solution (but I do not know about public transport avaibility): try to find a bus after the Cele, may be in St Cirq-Lapopie or Cabrerets, then go to Cahors by bus, then to Moissac or Lectoure by train or bus.
2nd solution (idem for transport): try to find a bus (or a "blabla car", or Transport Claudine) around Auvillar, Lectoure, Condom, or Eauze. Take this bus until Aire-sur-l'Adour or Navarrenx.
In both solutions you will miss something, but you will walk Le Puy-Conques, a great path.

There is a subsidised taxi from the station to Conques. You could start there. Shame to miss Conques.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1st solution (but I do not know about public transport avaibility): try to find a bus after the Cele, may be in St Cirq-Lapopie or Cabrerets, then go to Cahors by bus, then to Moissac or Lectoure by train or bus.
2nd solution (idem for transport): try to find a bus (or a "blabla car", or Transport Claudine) around Auvillar, Lectoure, Condom, or Eauze. Take this bus until Aire-sur-l'Adour or Navarrenx.
In both solutions you will miss something, but you will walk Le Puy-Conques, a great path.

I think I might not have been clear. I am able to go only from Le Puy to Cahors for my whole journey this year, but I need to shorten it by 4 to 6 days by skipping a section within the Le Puy, to Cahors portion somewhere. Any advice on how I might do that? Thank you.

Hi! I'm new here and to the Camino, but trying to take advantage of a last minute opportunity to get off work for about 3 weeks including travel. I had hoped to do Le Puy to Cahors including the Cele variant. I don't think I have enough days for that at about 24 km/day. Since I'd really like to keep the Cele variant I'm considering starting past Le Puy. Where would be a good starting point I could get to with public transit that would take off about 4-6 days. Perhaps St. Alban sur Limangole, Aumont-Aubrac or Nasbinals? This is all new to me, though I am an experienced hiker/backpacker. So appreciate any guidance and suggestions you can give me :)
Just miss whatever stage you have transportation in between. The whole route is amazing would not like to miss any of it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You don't say where you're coming from, so I'm not sure of your port of entry to France, but I'll assume Paris. Starting at Aumont-Aubrac will save 4-6 days, depending on your walking speed - it's 92.4 km from Le Puy, but stiff going in places. Aumont-Aubrac is on a railway line and bus route from Clermont-Ferrand, which is served by regular trains from Paris. You might need to stop overnight in C-F, but it's a nice town. If you take the train to A-A, you go over the magnificent Garabit viaduct.

You could take a bus next to Saint Cirq Lapopie to go to Cahors.
I did it years ago, and Rome2rio still shows the bus: leaving in Tour de Faure several times a day during the week and two times on sundays.
So, you would not miss the wonderfull walk from Bouzies along the river and lovely Saint Cirq Lapopie.
Cahors is well connected by train TGV to Paris.

I think I might not have been clear. I am able to go only from Le Puy to Cahors for my whole journey this year, but I need to shorten it by 4 to 6 days by skipping a section within the Le Puy, to Cahors portion somewhere. Any advice on how I might do that? Thank you.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Just miss whatever stage you have transportation in between. The whole route is amazing would not like to miss any of it.
I think that is what I will try to do. Which stages would have good transportation between them that skip about 4-6 days of trekking? Thank you!

You don't say where you're coming from, so I'm not sure of your port of entry to France, but I'll assume Paris. Starting at Aumont-Aubrac will save 4-6 days, depending on your walking speed - it's 92.4 km from Le Puy, but stiff going in places. Aumont-Aubrac is on a railway line and bus route from Clermont-Ferrand, which is served by regular trains from Paris. You might need to stop overnight in C-F, but it's a nice town. If you take the train to A-A, you go over the magnificent Garabit viaduct.
I don't have my plane ticket yet, but probably CDG unless I find a sale fare to Lyons. Maybe I could start in Le Puy and finish in Cahors but take public transit somewhere before I get to the Cele variant to cut out 4-6 days. What section might have transit and not be a "don't miss" that might work for that? Thank you!

You might think about starting in Figeac, walking the Céle Variant to Cahors - an incredibly beautiful walk- then heading north on the Rocamadour variant back to Figeac, and then taking the GR 65 from Figeac to Cahors. While it may lack a sense making your way towards Santiago de Compostela, you would be walking through some beautiful country side and getting a change to see Figeac which is very interesting. I walked the Céle last year and am returning in June to walk from Le Puy to Auvillar via the Rocamadour variant. Hope you figure out something that works for you. Bon chemin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On transport options, the SNCF national trains offer daily service to/from Le Puy and Cahors to major cities like Paris. However, the path of the Chemin (aka Camino) between those cities is not well served by public transportation. If you have strong French language skills you may be able to find helpful routes. There are a couple of private companies (such as La Malle Postale and Compostel'Bus) that move luggage and passengers forward and backward along the Chemin; these may be your best bet. Otherwise your host at a Gîte can connect you with a good taxi driver.

On the question of what to skip, I found the section between Conques and Figeac to be the least memorable, but that will save you only two days. If you're walking in high summer heat you could consider skipping the exposed Aubrac Plateau and starting in Aumont-Aubrac or Nasbinals. I found the section along the Lot River (between Saint-Côme-d'Olt and Conques) to be just as special as the Célé Valley. Bon chemin!

On transport options, the SNCF national trains offer daily service to/from Le Puy and Cahors to major cities like Paris. However, the path of the Chemin (aka Camino) between those cities is not well served by public transportation. If you have strong French language skills you may be able to find helpful routes. There are a couple of private companies (such as La Malle Postale and Compostel'Bus) that move luggage and passengers forward and backward along the Chemin; these may be your best bet. Otherwise your host at a Gîte can connect you with a good taxi driver.

On the question of what to skip, I found the section between Conques and Figeac to be the least memorable, but that will save you only two days. If you're walking in high summer heat you could consider skipping the exposed Aubrac Plateau and starting in Aumont-Aubrac or Nasbinals. I found the section along the Lot River (between Saint-Côme-d'Olt and Conques) to be just as special as the Célé Valley. Bon chemin!
All good ideas, thank you! If I took your suggestion to skip the exposed Aubrac Plateau, where actually is that as far as starting and ending village names? I am not sure what the plateau corresponds to on my map exactly.

All good ideas, thank you! If I took your suggestion to skip the exposed Aubrac Plateau, where actually is that as far as starting and ending village names? I am not sure what the plateau corresponds to on my map exactly.

The Aubrac Plateau is the first 4-5 days of walking, between Le Puy-en-Velay and Nasbinals. It is beautiful country, with wide open hilly vistas and little shade. When I walked it last August I had sunny days with highs of 95-100 degrees. So, depending on your perspective that may be something to seek out or avoid.

Two resources I found helpful in thinking through each day of walking were gronze.com and the Ciccerone guide to the Via Podiensis by Dave Whitson. Whitson also has a podcast called "The Camino Podcast" with ten episodes describing the Le Puy way in France.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I second the recco to start in Aumont-Aubrac. From there you will get a taste of the Aubrac Plateau before you descend from it at St. Chély-d'Aubrac. Then follow another poster's suggestion and take the bus from Conques to Decazeville. Or further to Figeac if you are short of time.

We took a train from Marseilles to Aumont-Aubrac about 10 years ago. The train drops you outside this small town, but there is a very good hotel within a 100 yards of the station. A little pricey compared to other lodging you will or might use, but very good value and a good place to rest up if you have taken a long day to get there. (My wife and I have stayed there twice.) Link furnished below.

Some additional thoughts from someone who has walked this section twice:

Someone mentioned difficulty of some section. You say you are an experienced hiker and backpacker. This is a walk compared to hiking in the mountainous areas of the U.S.

Beautiful small towns along the way with varied terrain connecting them.

Stay at the monastery in Conques.

Bon chemin.

I understand from your post that you have three weeks available to walk and travel to and from the chemin. It is not difficult to start past Le Puy ... there are two shuttle bus services that run every day from Le Puy-en-Velay to Conques and beyond [La Malle Postale and Compostel’Bus] and you can choose where [which village or town] to get off the bus and start ... BUT imho you will miss some of the best, most beautiful sections of the chemin ...
------
To incorporate the Célé variante and arrive at Cahors inside three weeks, here is what I suggest ... start at Le Puy-en-Velay and walk to Conques; from Conques take the La Malle Postale shuttle to Figeac, walk the GR651 Célé variante and at the end, at Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, take the local bus [route no 889] to Cahors for your outward journey to wherever ... if you are comfortable walking 24km a day then this is very achievable, I have done it and I am of a certain vintage 🐢🐢🐢 and would be very happy to do it again that way ...
------
skipping from Conques to Figeac is much less of a loss than skipping the first 4 or 5 days out of Le Puy-en-Velay ... but, all that said, it is up to you and what you feel more comfortable with; the shuttle busses out of Le Puy certainly help to make things very flexible and assist with whatever decision you ultimately make ... all the best‼️

I understand from your post that you have three weeks available to walk and travel to and from the chemin. It is not difficult to start past Le Puy ... there are two shuttle bus services that run every day from Le Puy-en-Velay to Conques and beyond [La Malle Postale and Compostel’Bus] and you can choose where [which village or town] to get off the bus and start ... BUT imho you will miss some of the best, most beautiful sections of the chemin ...
------
To incorporate the Célé variante and arrive at Cahors inside three weeks, here is what I suggest ... start at Le Puy-en-Velay and walk to Conques; from Conques take the La Malle Postale shuttle to Figeac, walk the GR651 Célé variante and at the end, at Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, take the local bus [route no 889] to Cahors for your outward journey to wherever ... if you are comfortable walking 24km a day then this is very achievable, I have done it and I am of a certain vintage 🐢🐢🐢 and would be very happy to do it again that way ...
------
skipping from Conques to Figeac is much less of a loss than skipping the first 4 or 5 days out of Le Puy-en-Velay ... but, all that said, it is up to you and what you feel more comfortable with; the shuttle busses out of Le Puy certainly help to make things very flexible and assist with whatever decision you ultimately make ... all the best‼️
This is so helpful. I am going to go look into this idea right away.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
------
------
This is so helpful. Thank you for all the details. I will go look into this right now.

This is so helpful. Thank you for all the details. I will go look into this right now.

€46,-
Decazeville. There are a few buses, too. Though you would have to look them up. Rome2rio should be useful for that.
Do you have some more information on the subsidised taxi from Decazeville to Conques, cost? departure times? how to reserve it [the taxi]? ... and the busses? Thanks.

Do you have some more information on the subsidised taxi from Decazeville to Conques, cost? departure times? how to reserve it [the taxi]? ... and the busses? Thanks.
Sorry, you are going to have to look this up for yourself. I was told about it when I stayed at Conques art the Abbey. As I was walking with a donkey I didn't write it all down. I suggest the place to start looking would be the Mairie or thé village website. I do know the buses are very infrequent.
Possibly tourisme-conques.fr would be a good place to start as usually someone will speak English.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry, you are going to have to look this up for yourself. I was told about it when I stayed at Conques art the Abbey. As I was walking with a donkey I didn't write it all down. I suggest the place to start looking would be the Mairie or thé village website. I do know the buses are very infrequent.
Maybe this can help:

This first webpage lists 5 taxi companies/taxi owners in Decazeville including one called Ambulance 2000. My guess would be that they have market prices.

The second webpage lists a transport by demand (TAD) service. You need to phone at least before 17 h on the day before your intended trip. It costs €2 for a single trip and €4 for a return trip. You must be a resident of one of the 12 communes de Decazeville Communauté. There are some other conditions connected with this offer.

(I am considering a week or so on the Le Puy GR so I am interested in transport possibilities to, from and along this GR).

Maybe this can help:

This first webpage lists 5 taxi companies/taxi owners in Decazeville including one called Ambulance 2000. My guess would be that they have market prices.

The second webpage lists a transport by demand (TAD) service. You need to phone at least before 17 h on the day before your intended trip. It costs €2 for a single trip and €4 for a return trip. You must be a resident of one of the 12 communes de Decazeville Communauté. There are some other conditions connected with this offer.

(I am considering a week or so on the Le Puy GR so I am interested in transport possibilities to, from and along this GR).
My hunch is that the discounted taxi service is for bonafide residents of the surrounding communities ... not hikers and pilgrims ... but I will contact the OdT at Conques and ask them ...
------
and for you : there are plenty of transport possibilities on the GR65 especially in the first week but also beyond ... bon chemin👣👣👣

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back