• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Warning around overgrown path on Camino del Norte

unaharty

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués: April 2024
Norte: July 2024
I recently came across an overgrown impassable section of the Camino del Norte between Saint Jean de Luz and Irún. The signs directed me down this grassy path which I followed as far as I could and then it became so overgrown that I could not walk any further.

Despite the many warnings I had to take the road to join back up with the path which was really dangerous due to lack of hard shoulder and it being a windy busy road.

I saw other pilgrims headed the opposite direction seem also perplexed by this. It was the interior route.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should it be reported to the French authorities for maintenance?

The photos show the path which is overgrown and leads to another path which is impassable.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4959.jpeg
    8.7 MB · Views: 1,676
  • IMG_4960.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 186
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m confused by your second photo: is that a gate or fence blocking your route? We’re you forced into a detour route? Sadly, this route is not walked by a lot of people, so pathways can get a bit overgrown, especially alternative routes.

There is are no Camino “authorities” who maintain all the trails, though local groups and village councils often provide upkeep in their areas. Given it’s the Basque region, you may want to contact that confraternity as they manage several albergues there.

I’m confused by your second photo: is that a gate or fence blocking your route? We’re you forced into a detour route?

Sorry for clarification- the photo of the gate shows where the route points to, just incase any future pilgrims notice this - to save them walking down the grassy path that leads to nothing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The second photo shows a funny sign it's upside down. As a french GR has only red and white and a GR de Pays uses red and yellow it seams you haven't been on the hiking on the CdN.

Re: second photo. I don't think this was a Camino direction sign. I've seen the Camino shells on houses and structures to show support for pilgrims. I have no idea what the symbol below the shell signifies. Thanks for thinking of other pilgrims. Buen Camino.

The second photo shows a funny sign it's upside down. As a french GR has only red and white and a GR de Pays uses red and yellow it seams you haven't been on the hiking on the CdN.
This is the modern method of marking voie de Compostelle ie camino routes in France - it uses yellow and blue lines similar to the red/white GR. It's used on the section of route from Bayonne to Irun through France. (Plus on routes in Brittany and a few others too)

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
It is odd the sign is upside down.
That section of the Via Bayona/camino norte has been problematic with that roundabout and new fencing - I remember when I was looking at whether to do the interior route via Urrugne or the Voie Littoral a few years ago there was an issue there too.
But marking in France is often done by the local pilgrim association so it may be worth contacting them with a query as to the route and overgrown path

Thank you, @roving_rufus, for the link to the Compostelle.fr website and for relevant information. This is news to me.

If I understand correctly, 55 local Jacobean associations are grouped together in a Compostelle-France Federation. They undertake the blue and yellow signposting but only when the trail for a "chemin de Saint-Jacques" deviates from a GR trail, and GR trails are created and maintained by the FFRP. At least that is how I understand the phrase "nous ne faisons pas de sur balisage" on the Compostelle.fr website.

And as you and @Paul-CH already pointed out, the blue and yellow directional sign is upside down in the photo, so there is obviously something wrong there.

Balisages.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If the first photo is what you describe as "overgrown" I have seen much worse on the Aragones. Many times an "upside down sign" is done in protest or as a warning not to enter. If this is on the correct route, it looks like some property owner is having a problem with pilgrims walking on his property.

Last edited:
Exactly where was this? Lat/long or even pin a map

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sorry for that happening to you.
I don't understand your comment. As I understand it, the peregrina encountered an overgrown path, had to backtrack along the first less overgrown path and then walked for a short while on a busy road with dangerous traffic instead of following these paths until she could join the interior variant of the Norte trail again. She posted so that other pilgrims are aware of this situation at a certain point of the Camino de Norte between Urrugne and Hendaye. All the video filming in the world is not going to make the overgrown path more passable.

I had a look at maps and trails on Gronze and Wikiloc. There has been a physical change - it appears to me that an additional short road had been built in recent years and later closed off to all general traffic, including pedestrian traffic.

PS: Just read the next post. @Liica, did you post your comment by mistake in the wrong thread?

Last edited:
had to backtrack along the first less overgrown path and then walked for a short while on a busy road with dangerous traffic instead of following these paths until she could join the interior variant of the Norte trail again. She posted so that other pilgrims are aware of this situation at a certain point of the Camino de Norte between Urrugne and Hendaye.

...yes, it was like that last September (2023).

That stretch of road is very fast, traffic coming uphill at speed...

The attached is a screen shot of what was on @Gronze then.

Attachments

• IMG-20230902-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20230902-WA0013.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 14
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back