• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bug situation along the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago

Bog526

Time of past OR future Camino
None, looking at sept 2024
Hi, i am looking for info from those presently or recently on the CF with regards to the bed bugs..

In the past pilgrims stated that the situation is good to bad to none, sometimes confused.
Also looking for where did people find those buggers such as donativo's, albergue, private rooms etc.

Thank you,

focused destiny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The local Santiago news websites had some reports within the last week from the local hospitality trade association of increasing numbers of bedbugs being found in their albergues and hostals. An albergue owner also posted a detailed description of the difficulties in dealing with infestations when they do occur on a Facebook group I follow. So it seems they are a problem for some though I personally have never encountered bedbugs in my own Camino journeys.

Hi, i am looking for info from those presently or recently on the CF with regards to the bed bugs..

In the past pilgrims stated that the situation is good to bad to none, sometimes confused.
Also looking for where did people find those buggers such as donativo's, albergue, private rooms etc.

Thank you,

focused destiny
Bed bugs can be living anywhere, but I have walked many caminos since 2008, every year. I have never seen a bed bug. I always check mattresses, liners, blankets, etc. Never seen a trace of them. But I have seen many "pilgrim" brutes, who I would call real bugs on the caminos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the past pilgrims stated that the situation is good to bad to none,
All are true. As @Pafayac said, bed bugs are transported by pilgrims. Regardless of how well hospitaleros cleaned and checked for bed bugs in the morning a pilgrim can bring them in the afternoon.

All of the above. Any place that hosts human beings can potentially have bed bugs. Including 5 star hotels, trains, and planes!

The tag "bed bugs" has been added to the top of this thread. You will find posts with tips on how to identify signs of potential bed bugs, as well as what to do if you are affected. You will also read a lot of anecdotal stories from people who did A, B, or C and never encountered bed bugs, but many of them, such as the idea that bed bugs don't like silk fabric are simply not true or backed by science.

I have seen bedbugs a few times, but to my knowledge have not been bitten nor brought them home in my pack. Twice I saw them on the Norte in 2016.
First, was in the municipal albergue in Santillana del Mar, one was crawling on the bunk across the aisle from me in the morning after the pilgrim had left.
Second time was at a youth hostel where they had us put our backpacks in black garbage bags in a different holding room. I still saw two bedbugs crawling up the wall in the early morning as lights were turned on. I reported it before we left, but just received a shoulder shrug from the young man at reception.
The third experience was on the meseta at Albergue Titas in Boadilla, located above the bar of the same name. I saw a bedbug crawling on a nearby bed in the morning. We had stopped there during a downpour and my family of four were glad to have beds, but the owner's vibe was lacking. It did have a large nice modern shower and we had a decent dinner in the bar.
All in all, over 9-10 different Caminos, I'd say they were rare occurrences for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As @trecile said, all of the above are true, and click on the "bed bugs" tag to read much much more.

I have been bitten several times on the Camino, so I do take care to organize my belongings for easy treatment.

It is important to know that many people are not allergic to the bites, so they will never know if they have been bitten. That might account for the huge disparity between the "never encountered a bedbug" crowd and the "bedbugs are common" crowd. Rest assured that they do exist, but for most of us, they are a nuisance rather than a health issue.

It is important to know that many people are not allergic to the bites, so they will never know if they have been bitten. That might account for the huge disparity between the "never encountered a bedbug" crowd and the "bedbugs are common" crowd.
I have been bitten once that I know of, and if the bites hadn't been on a place easily visible to me I never would have known that I had been bitten.

Hola @Bog526 a great post.
Bedbugs are a fact of Camino Life. The best advice I can give is to check the beds, especially along the crevices. If you see something that raises suspicions inform the hospitalero. If there is no action ask for you money back and try another establishment. The better establishments will act, usually immediately, but there will be those who chose to ignore the problem.
I personally have not specifically encountered them but my camino granddaughter did back in 2017. Given our proximity (sleeping in adjacent beds), at out next albergue we both declare that we had been exposed to bedbugs. The hospitaleros were most understanding and gave us our own room. We were then able to wash all our clothes etc; they had driers that went up to 60C which usually kill the bugs and eggs; spray the backpacks with a strong insect product and then left them in hot sun for a couple of hours.
A couple of policies I have learnt over nearly 10 years on the Camino and this forum: do not put you backpack on to ANY bunk; as above do a preliminary check of the bunks; if do encounter the little grubs be honest and report them as soon as you find them. Even let the previous albergue know as well as the one you arrive at.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah, the bed bug, dear old Cimex lectularius, our oldest most constant and loyal companion. The dog didn’t come along till yesterday or not much earlier 😉

For many pilgrims, recent reports would suggest, the easiest way to acquire a few is to travel the Paris Metro from CDG to Montparnasse. Other sources are available.

Sensible, precautionary, avoidance procedures work. Or at least they help reduce the risk of an encounter.

I’m not sure whether the Forums software can gather the stats but it would be interesting to know whether dear old Cimex is still the hottest topic on the forum or has been overtaken by luggage transfers ( a popular topic and incidentally an excellent transmission vector )

Perhaps it is an opportunity to remember that bed bugs are brought by pilgrims.
Please, do not put your backpacks on beds, and spray repellent on your backpacks, sleeping bags and sheets...
I agree with you about pilgrims are the vehicles bringing them from place to place. Everyone must do their part to reduce those buggers. I find that it is not as bad as it used to be because the accommodations are also doing their part. It is a a ton of work for these owners and unfortunately a reality.

I am a very advid traveller and have delt with bed bugs and many other pests in my travels however the bed bug is the most irratating due to its ability to catch a ride.

Find it easier to deal with them if you are able to find out creditable proof of the situation.

Its a all hands on deck

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Four caminos over the last 10 years, and always used a garbage bag for my pack. I may be one of those not affected by bites, but have had no reactions.
Albergue in Porto had lockers on a different floor than the sleeping floor.
I would be interested to find out if that kept the buggers out of the beds.

I don't understand how people think that unpacking backpacks in one room and sending the sleeping bags and clothes to another room can help in any way. Bedbugs are attracted to the sleeping people in their bed clothes. If the bugs come and bite the person, and don't get back to their protected lairs before morning, they will get wrapped up in the bedding, packed into the backpack in the other room, and transported to the next albergue where they may emerge in one room or the other. They are perfectly capable of walking from one room to the other.

Similarly, keeping all packs off the bed won't help. The bugs are more likely transported in the bedding, which will be placed on - where else, but the bed! The backpack on the floor is still nicely accessible to the bugs, although they likely prefer to be close to the sleeping people. Keep your dirty pack off the bed anyway!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wonder if Bedbugs is an obsession of some countries, I was speaking with a person from the USA in Vietnam and they had not gone to France because they had heard reports of Bedbugs in Paris ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have for years been staying climbing huts and refugios in Europe and Morroco, and not once have I heard any concern from anyone in the British climbing community, express any concern about Bed bugs.

I don't understand how people think that unpacking backpacks in one room and sending the sleeping bags and clothes to another room can help in any way. Bedbugs are attracted to the sleeping people in their bed clothes. If the bugs come and bite the person, and don't get back to their protected lairs before morning, they will get wrapped up in the bedding, packed into the backpack in the other room, and transported to the next albergue where they may emerge in one room or the other. They are perfectly capable of walking from one room to the other.

Similarly, keeping all packs off the bed won't help. The bugs are more likely transported in the bedding, which will be placed on - where else, but the bed! The backpack on the floor is still nicely accessible to the bugs, although they likely prefer to be close to the sleeping people. Keep your dirty pack off the bed anyway!

Agree. But I have seen bedbugs scurry so fast, I’d call it running😁! I found it hard to…but eventually, killed some) before departing an infested private, A.C. room at 3am in the morning on the CF in Palas de Rei ( No point in hanging around to be vampired already had 3 bites). I must have swatted between 5-10 at the time! And I left them so housekeeping would know (I’m pretty sure they knew). Our bags were in plastic at night. Threw our bed clothes, a tee shirt, in a plastic sealed bag, and eventually placed the sealed bag in a garbage disposal.

Where along the CF would a pilgrim find a spray or liquid to add to their arsenal of treatments against these buggers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What were you planning to spray or treat with a liquid? Yourself? Your rucksack / other gear?
I am always a little concerned when people post about the use of chemical sprays or liquids by pilgrims for the deterrence or elimination of bedbugs. Some fellow pilgrims may be particularly sensitive to these substances especially when used in the confined space of an albergue dormitory. Fortunately not myself as far as I am aware. There is also some temptation to overdo the treatments 'just in case'. Though sprays which are available over the counter to the general public should be safe if used as directed. Within the past few days here in the UK there was a widely publicised court case over the death of a child and the poisoning of several other neighbours through the negligent and illegal use of a commercial insecticide to kill bedbugs by a resident in a block of flats. The Facebook post which I linked in post #2 above also mentions the issue of frequent exposure leading to increased resistance to particular insecticides - an issue similar to the growing problem of antibiotic resistance. While treating your gear with repellents in advance of your trip as directed seems a reasonable precaution I think we should be very cautious in the use of insecticides while actually on the Camino itself.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What were you planning to spray or treat with a liquid? Yourself? Your rucksack / other gear?
It would be mostly for outside of backpack and sleeping liner . Not worried about inside because I use water proof backpack liner. Just enough of a deterrent to say this is not your home….

Bed bugs can be living anywhere, but I have walked many caminos since 2008, every year. I have never seen a bed bug. I always check mattresses, liners, blankets, etc. Never seen a trace of them. But I have seen many "pilgrim" brutes, who I would call real bugs on the caminos.
Is this just a visual check for small bugs crawling around?

Please don't spray toxic stuff in albergues. You can cause your allergic fellow pilgrim to suffocate and die.

Bring a pet cockroach with you on the road. Or a gecko. They feed on bedbugs and are much faster than them. Environmentally friendly. Clean. Portable. Reusable.
No no never spray inside.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
I am always a little concerned when people post about the use of chemical sprays or liquids by pilgrims for the deterrence or elimination of bedbugs. Some fellow pilgrims may be particularly sensitive to these substances especially when used in the confined space of an albergue dormitory. Fortunately not myself as far as I am aware. There is also some temptation to overdo the treatments 'just in case'. Though sprays which are available over the counter to the general public should be safe if used as directed. Within the past few days here in the UK there was a widely publicised court case over the death of a child and the poisoning of several other neighbours through the negligent and illegal use of a commercial insecticide to kill bedbugs by a resident in a block of flats. The Facebook post which I linked in post #2 above also mentions the issue of frequent exposure leading to increased resistance to particular insecticides - an issue similar to the growing problem of antibiotic resistance. While treating your gear with repellents in advance of your trip as directed seems a reasonable precaution I think we should be very cautious in the use of insecticides while actually on the Camino itself.
Chemicals are old school there are natural and friendly spray and liquids now that have no permethrin in it.

I can't imagine spraying my sleeping bag or any other personal item with toxic spray (some people do use permethrin). Maybe I have been lucky but I've walked more than 20 Caminos over the past 14 years and I have never had an incident with bedbugs.

I've walked many, many different routes during all 4 seasons and stay mainly in municipal albergues but as others have mentioned, you are just as likely to find them in private accommodations or hotels.

Maybe they don't like me haha but seriously, don't let the possibility deter you from walking or make you obsessed. I've actually never even checked for them.

Where along the CF would a pilgrim find a spray or liquid to add to their arsenal of treatments against these buggers.

I’ve sprayed my pack, sleeping bag/liner, and mattress (in private accommodations) with alcohol. It has to be at least 91% alcohol, and you can get it at any pharmacy in Spain at very low cost. You just need a small travel size spray bottle. It can kill the bugs, their eggs, and repel them. I’ve never had an issue, but I’ve only been on 2 Caminos. And, of course you want to be conscientious before you spray anything around others. I can tolerate the smell, and it’s very short lived.

I walked the CF last September/October and didn’t run into any bedbugs, but met a couple of people who had received bites and steered clear of one albergue that had a confirmed infestatation the day I walked through. (It was NOT one of the albergues that sometimes comes up on this topic.) I also did not use any albergue blankets, because they seemed like an obvious hiding place.

I’m about to start a second camino in a couple of days — here’s my question — I know the convential wisdom about never putting your pack on a bed, but how does this intersect with the common practice of hanging your pack off the bunk with an S-hook? Is the floor a better option? Just curious about what others have found. Thanks and buen camino.

I walked the CF last September/October and didn’t run into any bedbugs, but met a couple of people who had received bites and steered clear of one albergue that had a confirmed infestatation the day I walked through. (It was NOT one of the albergues that sometimes comes up on this topic.) I also did not use any albergue blankets, because they seemed like an obvious hiding place.

I’m about to start a second camino in a couple of days — here’s my question — I know the convential wisdom about never putting your pack on a bed, but how does this intersect with the common practice of hanging your pack off the bunk with an S-hook? Is the floor a better option? Just curious about what others have found. Thanks and buen camino.
Personally I would never hang my pack off my bunk and have never seen anyone else do this but I haven't been on the Francés for years and stick to less traveled routes.

I always place my pack on the floor to the side of my bed.

I’ve sprayed my pack, sleeping bag/liner, and mattress (in private accommodations) with alcohol. It has to be at least 91% alcohol, and you can get it at any pharmacy in Spain at very low cost. You just need a small travel size spray bottle. It can kill the bugs, their eggs, and repel them. I’ve never had an issue, but I’ve only been on 2 Caminos. And, of course you want to be conscientious before you spray anything around others. I can tolerate the smell, and it’s very short lived.
I understood alcohol needed to sprayed directly onto the insect for it to be effective. Merely spraying your gear won't be much point unless you know there are bedbugs present and you are spraying them. Perhaps someone who has better knowledge about treatment regimes can clarify this.

Hi, i am looking for info from those presently or recently on the CF with regards to the bed bugs.
I can understand your enthusiasm to be well informed, but I wonder if you aren't jumping the gun here. Any hospitalero/a or other person in charge of accommodation premises who is informed about an infestation now should be getting it treated and eradicated, when any alarm raised about a particular place will have become outdated. I realize there are also regular stories about places being slow to react, but I'm not sure how much credibility these deserve. Most of us move on before any treatment might get started, so don't see what has been done about any reports we make.

Otherwise, I would be ensuring that any treatment advice you heed is actually credible as well. This topic generates an enormous range of misleading responses. Those who might protect you from that aren't always going to be available, although to give the moderators due credit, the will normally pick up on any known ineffective and unproven approaches.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Where along the CF would a pilgrim find a spray or liquid to add to their arsenal of treatments against these buggers

I understood alcohol needed to sprayed directly onto the insect for it to be effective. Merely spraying your gear won't be much point unless you know there are bedbugs present and you are spraying them. Perhaps someone who has better knowledge about treatment regimes can clarify this.
My understanding is yes if you spray them directly it’ll kill them and their eggs. But, apparently they also don’t like the smell, and it will repel them. You can look this up. It’s not a 100% deterrent and I don’t think there is one. But, if they’re around they’ll probably either come out of hiding or at least jump off my things!

Ah, the bed bug, dear old Cimex lectularius, our oldest most constant and loyal companion.
Hmmm... I was leaning towards the lice

I am a very advid traveller and have delt with bed bugs and many other pests in my travels however the bed bug is the most irratating due to its ability to catch a ride.

Find it easier to deal with them if you are able to find out creditable proof of the situation.

Its a all hands on deck
Well for what its worth - I'm a pretty avid traveller as well. I've been to hotels, motels, albergues, hostals, luxury resorts, timeshare units and AirB&Bs to name a few

Never encountered any - Thanks Be to God!

I completely agree with folks that basically said that "they can pop up anywhere" and esp. with @dougfitz who pointed out that by the time the info will get to you (even if it is the same day) it is already "too old" (or at least should be) as the good mindful hospitalero/a should by all means already taken care of the issue.

apparently they also don’t like the smell, and it will repel them. You can look this up.
I tried looking it up with some quick Googling but didn't find anything to support this. Since it would be very interesting and good news, can you give us a link?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
I tried looking it up with some quick Googling but didn't find anything to support this. Since it would be very interesting and good news, can you give us a link?
Certainly! First, make sure you use your common sense and please don’t set yourself or your surroundings on fire. We’re pilgrims walking a camino, we’re not fighting an infestation in a home or in an apartment building. Here’s two, and of course, there’s plenty others that’ll tell you: “No! That’s bonkers! Just stomp on them, call a professional, or use a pesticide!” Use your best judgement.

https://www.lakenormanpest.com/top-...ey hate the smell of,laying eggs in your area.

https://www.greenpestsolutions.com/blog/will-alcohol-kill-bed-bugs

On that note, here’s a site that will treat your clothing with permethrin so you don’t have to: https://www.insectshield.com/products/insect-shield-your-clothes-per-piece

The prices are pretty good. I’ve not tried it myself, and I wouldn’t for the camino. But, if you look on their site it does say that the treatment works against bed bugs specifically. Purportedly, the treatment lasts for 70 washings. I’m not sure if they’ll treat sleeping bags or hiking packs, you’d have to contact them directly and ask if that interests you.

Buen Camino,

Kathleen

apparently they also don’t like the smell, and it will repel them
The first article you linked claimed that bedbugs "hate" the smell but that was unsupported by any evidence. The second link addressed killing them on direct contact but didn't mention the smell as a deterrent.

I don't doubt that spraying alcohol on a bedbug will kill it, or that a bug will avoid a surface that is wet with alcohol. However, alcohol evaporates very quickly, leaving little or no odour. That's why I was curious about any research to support the claim about the smell of alcohol repelling bedbugs. Those links don't provide any such evidence, so I remain very skeptical.

In 12 Caminos I have never seen or been bitten by a bed bug. Of interest is the fact that bed bug reports do not usually emerge on this forum until July, August or September. Where are they earlier in the season?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The first article you linked claimed that bedbugs "hate" the smell but that was unsupported by any evidence. The second link addressed killing them on direct contact but didn't mention the smell as a deterrent.

I don't doubt that spraying alcohol on a bedbug will kill it, or that a bug will avoid a surface that is wet with alcohol. However, alcohol evaporates very quickly, leaving little or no odour. That's why I was curious about any research to support the claim about the smell of alcohol repelling bedbugs. Those links don't provide any such evidence, so I remain very skeptical.
Not a problem for me. Do your own research, and think for yourself. That’s what I did! I used it, and had not one issue. I only gave my personal experience, and I believe it’s valid. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Edited to add: something I had forgotten…about 13 years ago I was living in Manhattan, and I went away to work in Santa Fe for a summer, and returned to my roommate panicking over a bed bug infestation. We were told by the apartment complex to spray everything with alcohol. We even had to leaf through our books and spray them. I can’t remember, but I think after we sprayed everything we were instructed to put the spayed items in plastic bags. And then the apt was fumigated by professionals. Alcohol will definitely kill bed bugs. That’s my personal experience. And, even if you spray your bag with alcohol, and you end up killing 50% of the bed bug eggs (all sites report this), that’s half as many living. Common sense tells me that the scent probably does repel them, as several places suggest, for many reasons. Definitely think for yourself.

Last edited:
It might be a good time to commence a new club - the Bedbug Appreciation Society!

😵‍💫

In 12 Caminos I have never seen or been bitten by a bed bug. Of interest is the fact that bed bug reports do not usually emerge on this forum until July, August or September. Where are they earlier in the season?
Too cold for them to emerge perhaps 🤔

Perhaps it is an opportunity to remember that bed bugs are brought by pilgrims.
Please, do not put your backpacks on beds, and spray repellent on your backpacks, sleeping bags and sheets...
If you look up natural bed bug repellants there are essential oils, lemon grass, lavender, rosemary, tea tree etc. Just make up a mixture and dilute with water (few drops of a each or a mixture in 100ml bottle) put into a small spray bottle or a couple of bottles and spray your bed before you put anything on it and your bag, pack etc every day, that way you aren't inadvertently taking any hikers with you and you are protecting your things. Don't need to use harsh chemicals to do the job.

If you look up natural bed bug repellants there are essential oils,... spray your bed before you put anything on it and your bag, pack etc every day,
This topic comes up frequently on the forum. There is a lot of misinformation floating around about bedbugs. People really want to think they have a solution, so they happily accept unproven theories. Or they think for themselves and develop a new theory that seems to make sense and promote it as fact. Would it not make equal sense for perfumes to attract bedbugs as to deter them?

There is no clear evidence that essential oils provide any repellency against bedbugs, although the claim is widely made and spread. They might, like alcohol, kill the bugs on direct contact (maybe because of the alcohol in the oils). If you can find any objective scientific research studies that show evidence of their effectiveness in repelling bedbugs, please let us know. (A random claim on the internet, a blogger or influencer, or someone quoting someone else's unsupported claim, doesn't count.)

I wouldn't care how much essential oil you choose to spray on your belongings, except that other people in the albergue may be sensitive or allergic to those aromas. You are putting them in extreme discomfort or worse by spraying the beds or anything else in the albergues. Please don't do it.

Eggs. Bedbugs lay eggs. If you have been bitten, give your bedclothes and bedding the heat treatment. If you hang your backpack on the bunk frame with an S hook it will be tidier as well as less likely to contaminate or be contaminated. The eggs take around two weeks to hatch, so if you are bitten it is probably the result of an old infestation. “Deterrents” if they are effective at all, only work for about 4 hours, so pretty futile really.

Having said all that, I’ve never been bitten.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am a bed bug magnet..great circulation! Seriously, if there is a bed bug nearby, it rudely invites itself to dine on my body! I got 40+ bedbug bites in 1 night while my sister in the twin bed next to me, not one. They came from the walls. The person in the room next to us….not one bite.

I had used permethrin. Stopped doing that on my next trip. Now, we seal everything in plastic, Deet the bags daily ( if being sent ahead ) and I premedicate daily with an antihistamine! I’ve gotten a couple of bites since then. I’ve added an antihistamine cream directly on the bites when I do get them. C Clearly, suggested designated sleeping clothes, which I put into a separate plastic sealed bag during the day. If I get bitten, I throw out the T-shirt the next day in that sealed plastic bag. Then I buy a new shirt. No having to wait around.

Well, I encountered one on my sheet sleeping bag one afternoon shortly after Sarria in May this year. They're always around.

Thank you,

focused destiny
The OP’s question regarded recent sitings of bedbugs. While this is difficult to answer, I do have a suggestion that might be of some help. The Wise Pilgrim app includes reviews from pilgrims on places they have stayed. On my last Camino I found several reviews that discussed bedbugs with good details of the specific situation. I avoided these few locations and never encountered bedbugs. However, it is important to look at the date of the review since the owner most likely will have resolved any issues over time. The few that I avoided had reviews from the prior 30 days. This is by no means comprehensive since many locations do not have reviews or any recently posted reviews. However, this may help provide a partial answer/suggestion to the OP’s question.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi. I am Camino Francés at the moment. Started in SJPP. All good for many weeks. Am a few days out of Santiago right now and find I have been badly attacked by bed bugs in the last few days. However I just read that the bites can take up to 14 days to appear - so really I can’t say where I picked them up. I also read they tend to feast every three days. So the person who came after me may not have been bitten. I emailed my last few Albergues to let them know - in case it was them or in case I inadvertently delivers some to their Albergues.

So, the reason I've never been bitten is because I stink of alcohol?

Skip Permethrin, Lavender Oil, Mint, DEET, Eau de Cologne. Orujo is the solution ;)
I walked right into that. I know, I’m sorry, yes there's no way to know if it’s the scent that caused a bed bug to avoid someone. You can’t exactly ask a bed bug. There is an older study out of the University of Nebraska that suggests bed bugs avoid blood with alcohol in it as well, or at the very least they don’t prefer it. They say it essentially stunts their growth! So not a bad idea, enjoy the Orujo 😊

Last year stayed at an albergue where 4 of the people sprayed their pillows and beds with lavender essential oil. I thought I was going to gag. All night long that smell permeated the room.
Please do NOT spray your bedding or beds with these oils. They don't do anything anyway.

Thank you,

focused destiny
You can experience them at 4 star hotels around the world. Bed bugs are a reverse lottery, one you don't want to win. If you experience them politely and privately tell the host so they can treat the situation. Then treat all of your clothes and backpack and continue on your journey.

1 Camino = 3 times bitten. Last time I was bitten was the last night before Santiago where I had over 100 bites. 🤮 My husband was on the bunk above and didn't get one single bite. Sigh...

During the trip, after I left the hospital in Leon, where I was suffering from a kidney stone (and being treated for bed bug bites) I went back to the albergue to wash and dry all of my clothes (given my recent bout with the bugs). The albergue owner sprayed my backpack, put it in a black garbage bag and placed it under the Spanish sun on his patio. I came back to the albergue after washing my items, and my backpack had been thrown in the garbage! Apparently the hired help saw the garbage bag and thought it was garbage so threw it out!

That was the worst day of my trip. I honestly thought about giving up or the Camino was trying to tell me something. I didn't but I certainly was pissed that my last day walking into Santiago I was covered in bites! I learned quite a few life lessons through all those trials and tribulations. 💪

1 Camino = 3 times bitten. Last time I was bitten was the last night before Santiago where I had over 100 bites. 🤮 My husband was on the bunk above and didn't get one single bite. Sigh...
That COVID did a number even on bedbugs!
Lazy suckers!!!! (pun intended)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.