• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain gear on Ingles in beginning October

Westmalle

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Ingles
Well, actually re the subject...
Considering that I have no rain gear at all, I need to buy something.
The alternatives are: a poncho or a rain jacket or windbreaker and rain pants. What would be better given the season?
I do not want to spend a fortune of first Camino gear neither. I still need to figure out what I need to wear in case it gets colder (fleece? or a jacket?) Can one jacket do both jobs: protect me from rain and keep warm when it gets cold?
My main concert, apart from staying dry, is not to sweat too much.
I have tried one of Decathlon pocho and I am not sure it breathes at all.
Help...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Consider an umbrella with a pack clip for hands-free walking. I also brought a plastic poncho which folds up really compactly - better if there is rain and gusting wind.

Of the many ways the world is divided into two camps one of the most entrenched is the disagreement between ponchophiles and ponchophobics. It’s a personal decision on which virtually nobody will give an unbiased opinion.

My view is that you are best to consider waterproofing and warmth as two entirely separate functions. A lightweight fleece and the waterproof of your choice will be fine.

But not a poncho, obviously.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
On the topic of poncho vs rain jacket, I try and avoid religious arguments. I suspect preference won't be affected by route walked or time of year.

Since the Ingles is entirely in Galicia, I am confident in saying some rain gear will be needed.

I am in the same conundrum right now, preparing for the camino portugues end of september. I have a poncho, I have a rainjacket, I have an umbrella, but which one to pack? The poncho would cover the backpack too, but feels totally overkill and cumbersome if it’s raining in the afternoon and I want to walk around town. If I go with the jacket, it means I also need to take a rain cover for my pack. The umbrella is nice because it also protects from the sun, but would it protect enough from the rain ? This is where I am at now. I spared you all the opening of a new thread 😉.

OMG...did not mean to start a "war" on such a delicate subject.
I thought the advice might be linked to route/time of the year.
Beginning of October probably will not be very cold yet, so raining when it is cold and raining when it is warm are 2 different feelings.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a poncho, I have a rainjacket, I have an umbrella, but which one to pack? The poncho would cover the backpack too, but feels totally overkill and cumbersome if it’s raining in the afternoon and I want to walk around town. If I go with the jacket, it means I also need to take a rain cover for my pack.
Do you consider rain pants as well? I am wondering how/if to cover legs in October when it rains?

I agree with henrythedog that warmth and waterproofing should be separate. I also take a light fleece. I find the coldest time is early morning and evening....you won't want to sit around in a waterproof jacket.

You might be lucky and have no rain. However rain in Galicia is quite common and when it rains it can rain hard... for hours!

My first Caminos I took a waterproof jacket and trousers plus waterproof pack cover. I found them to be very annoying to take on and off. So, unlike henrythedog, I have an Altus poncho. Actually it is a giant hooded coat with long sleeves and a full length zip and room to cover a backpack. It is not breathable and I do get condensation inside if I've not been able to let any air though for hours. The best part is that I can put it on without even stopping walking. My pack stays perfectly dry, no wet straps. If the rain stops I can unzip it, pull out my arms and leave it hanging over my pack to dry. I usually tie the sleeves around me to make sure it doesn't drop off, having turned them inside out to dry off any condensation. It's not the most subtle item around town but you can at least do up the poppers to reduce the rear backpack pouch.

There is no 'correct' answer to this, to each his own. I mention the Altus because before my first Camino I had no idea such a thing existed!

I walked Ingles the last week of October last year. It rained every single day, but only the first day was it a very hard rain. I had a Decathlon poncho, and I loved it. I don’t think it was particularly sweaty. I wore capri leggings and they dried quickly. I liked the decathlon poncho for its full sleeves and 1/4 zip. When it would stop raining I slipped it off and tucked the sleeves in the shoulder straps of my pack and wore it like a cape until I needed it again an hour later.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the last 10 years I’ve been on a Camino route for nearly 250 days, I’ve walked in quick-dry shorts virtually all the time. I always walk between October and March.

I always carry a pair of lightweight gore-tex waterproof trousers which I have worn on precisely two of those days. At other times I’ve decided that skin dries quickly.

My waterproof jacket is fractionally longer than most modern ones which seem specifically designed to be paired with trousers.

On the ingles you’ll be lucky to be dry every day; but it’ll probably not be especially cold.

I ran across this article the other day regarding rain jackets. Clearly, some of the best are very expensive while other very good products are quite reasonably priced (like the Giisam jacket for only $39 on Amazon).

One reason that I don’t object to investing in good quality clothing or equipment is that I have then used it for more than just one Camino. You can get good quality clothing for reasonable prices that will then serve you on other outings. My rain jacket that I bought for a Camino has gotten plenty of use off the trail. Buen Camino!

Sorry - me again.

Whilst I’m fairly relaxed about getting wet and drying out again; that doesn’t extend to the contents of my rucksack.

I use a waterproof liner and a waterproof cover and pack my spare clothes and sleeping bag in dry-bags. Once I clock-off for the day I want to be warm and dry.

Do you consider rain pants as well? I am wondering how/if to cover legs in October when it rains?
No. I may walk with a skort at times, a capri pant at others. I sweat easily so rain pants are not a good idea for me. I will be in Santiago by the beginning of October so it might still be quite warm on the way. I have frozen in Santiago in November though, so I am taking light long pants and a light fleece too for when I am done and enjoying my last day there.

@Westmalle, you should have just read other threads ( there's heaps on the subject!) - you might end up leaving your own thread because you'll get so many replies.

I, too, agree with @henrythedog in that warmth and waterproofing are two separate items. I also firmly believe in keeping my gear dry, so I too use dry bags.

If you had read one of the other thread's you'd probably have come across a post from @davebugg I believe which points out that no rain wear is truly breathable (and why). Bearing in mind that gear testing is his profession, it's likely he knows what he's talking about.
So don't stress about the fact that you don't think that decathlon poncho breathes. Like @K_Lynn , I own one and love it. Incidentally I use mine in my daily life, so what if it looks a little odd, it keeps me dry. It lives in my day pack. I don't bother with rain pants because my pants are quick dry, I've been fortunate to avoid entire days of rain . I concentrate on keeping my upper body warm (Merino layers).

Naturally, as a poncho wearer myself I can but feel sorrow for @henrythedog in that he has yet to See the Light but hey, there's always his next Camino....

For extended reading opportunities, I have tagged this thread with "rain/sun protection." Click on that tag under the title of the thread, and pass the afternoon.

I feel compelled to chime in, and disagree on whether warmth and waterproofing are two separate items. In summer, yes, but in other seasons, maybe not. I always take rain pants and jacket, and regularly use both of them, to protect against rain, to provide excellent insulation against cold, and to wear at the laundromat while everything else is being washed. In the summer. A light rain jacket and trousers, over a few layers of lightweight merino, could serve me well on the ski slopes in necessary!

I have often thought about trying a poncho, but the fact is that I would still want the jacket for general use, the umbrella for sun and rain, and maybe the pants for a cold day. The only thing I would be able to leave at home is the pack cover. Perhaps I would add a poncho for a November-February walk in Northern Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The alternatives are: a poncho or a rain jacket or windbreaker and rain pants. What would be better given the season?
I do not want to spend a fortune of first Camino gear neither. I still need to figure out what I need to wear in case it gets colder (fleece? or a jacket?) Can one jacket do both jobs: protect me from rain and keep warm when it gets cold?
Help...
Bought my poncho in Roncevalles after getting soaked in my cheap plastic poncho
Used it on the Portugues the following year, and again for (Covid delayed) Ingles. It will be accompanying me on the Norte this fall. Definitely Team Poncho

I am in the same conundrum right now, preparing for the camino portugues end of september. I have a poncho, I have a rainjacket, I have an umbrella, but which one to pack? The poncho would cover the backpack too, but feels totally overkill and cumbersome if it’s raining in the afternoon and I want to walk around town. If I go with the jacket, it means I also need to take a rain cover for my pack. The umbrella is nice because it also protects from the sun, but would it protect enough from the rain ? This is where I am at now. I spared you all the opening of a new thread 😉.
Some like a poncho that is long in the back to also cover pack. Personally, I don’t like fighting with it in the wind. End up wet. Also hard to see to the side with hood on. Rain jacket & rain pants & pack cover always worked best for me. I did both Caminos in the Spring & was happy to have rain pants for cold & wind break. The S. Koreans love an umbrella in the sun.

Rain jacket vs. poncho, poles or no poles, trail runners or hiking boots, water bottles vs hydration systems in the pack with tubes, the list goes on. Subjects which come up perennially and which come to personal resolutions but no overall resolution.

For extended reading opportunities, I have tagged this thread with "rain/sun protection." Click on that tag under the title of the thread, and pass the afternoon.

I feel compelled to chime in, and disagree on whether warmth and waterproofing are two separate items. In summer, yes, but in other seasons, maybe not. I always take rain pants and jacket, and regularly use both of them, to protect against rain, to provide excellent insulation against cold, and to wear at the laundromat while everything else is being washed. In the summer. A light rain jacket and trousers, over a few layers of lightweight merino, could serve me well on the ski slopes in necessary!

I have often thought about trying a poncho, but the fact is that I would still want the jacket for general use, the umbrella for sun and rain, and maybe the pants for a cold day. The only thing I would be able to leave at home is the pack cover. Perhaps I would add a poncho for a November-February walk in Northern Spain.
Absolutely agree with C clearly. My raingear is integral with cold and wind protection, especially during my last CF in April/May this year. It was the coldest (multiple days below freezing in the morning), windiest (multiple days with steady strong cold headwinds for hours on end), and rainiest Camino I have ever done. Frogtoggs raincoat and pant set is $20, and weights 10oz total. Rain skirt is $10 and weighs 2 oz. Skirt can be put on without stopping or removing pack, and so can the coat because it is large enough to go on over my pack and me both. No pack cover needed. I do not usually take the pants, but they were a godsend against the bone chilling winds. The pants are big and baggy, and go on quickly without removing shoes. I will be taking the same kit this Sept/Oct on Camino del Norte. I did not take the pants last Oct del Norte, but the weather is very unusual this year.

I have used rain jacket, poncho and umbrella. They have all worked to a degree, but have settled on the Poncho and umbrella.

Light rain/bright sun, brolly (incidentally the temp was a full 15* lower under a brolly in bright sun.

Heavy/ persistent rain, poncho and ultra light ankle rain gaiters, I only ever wear shorts no matter what the weather and hate water running down my legs into my shoes.

That’s me!

Beginning of October probably will not be very cold yet, so raining when it is cold and raining when it is warm are 2 different feelings.
How long have you been on the forum? Of course I could click and find out. It is ultra easy to start on a war even on what day it is, given the global circle of the membership! 😂
The Camino Ingles is in Galicia. In many ways, Celtic environments resemble each other. Music, food, opinionated comments... (a joke! Honestly)
You are already aware that you need some kind of protection, maybe, against rain. Skin dries, by the way!
I am a Celt. I know a bit about that need of protection against the drizzly stuff. . However - my own experience on the Ingles was hilarious, the day of the incessant rain. A simple, but effective poncho kept off some of the onslaught. Laughter at the unceasing lashing wind and rain helped. The poncho, no name brand, and a raincover for the backpack gave some protection. The best protection? 😎 Send on your bag if you are sure it is going to pelt down all day. 😇. Then you can relax thinking of the lovely dry clothes waiting for you when you reach your albergue. You could also just pray for dry weather. 😈

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As usual, I am putting in a plug for the undervalued rain skirt for the bottom half, whether you select a poncho or jacket for the top. They are easy on/off, weigh nothing, can be purchased very cheaply, don't cause the same sweat issues as rain pants, and really do a good job keeping your legs dry (assuming you care about such things). As I've mentioned before, I've even used one to ski in the rain and it works beautifully.

Does anyone have a picture of an umbrella clip for the backpack, please

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks everybody for thier 5cent.
More confused than before.
Probably I won't get really cold on Ingles beginning of October, given the historical tempatures, but who knows. Anyway, it's a short Camino so I can have more or less an idea right before leaving.

I think I will be joining pocho team in the end.
Apart from Altus poncho, very advertised here, is there any Decathlon item that is worth it?
I have also noted a couple of times mentioning Frogtogg - is it a US brand? Going to USA for vacation in 2 weeks, so probably can have a look there as well.

Thanks everybody for thier 5cent.
More confused than before.
Probably I won't get really cold on Ingles beginning of October, given the historical tempatures, but who knows. Anyway, it's a short Camino so I can have more or less an idea right before leaving.

I think I will be joining pocho team in the end.
Apart from Altus poncho, very advertised here, is there any Decathlon item that is worth it?
I have also noted a couple of times mentioning Frogtogg - is it a US brand? Going to USA for vacation in 2 weeks, so probably can have a look there as well.
The Decathalon Quechua MT900 looks great. Everything the Altus has and more. I’d love to try it myself but it’s not available in the US.

Help...
It rains a lot in Galicia sometimes.
Personally, I don't like any of the choices. They are all vaguely uncomfortable.

The last poncho I had, I ended up abandoning because I found it irritating to wear. I just used a rain jacket (no pants, but I had a pack cover) but when it starts to rain for a whole day, nothing keeps you dry.

If you can get a few different rain items that are returnable, I would give them a try walking around with your pack for a little while and see which one you can live with.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On the ingles rain is pretty much guaranteed. Especially in October, which statistically is one of the 2 rainiest months in Spain.
I always use a waterproof pack liner, one for my sleeping bag and a 2nd for everything else. Pack covers generally are not waterproof and will eventually wet out. Same goes for most rain jackets. The Altus (combo rain jacket/poncho that also covers the pack) is popular. I use a similar item called a Packa. It is a bit warm inside it but it cinches down over my pack, has sleeves and a hood like a rain jacket, and great pit zips for ventilation. And it keeps me dry, even in prolonged rain, unlike my rain jacket.

Help...
Well guess my answer won’t help too much. However your concerns direct you to get GORTEX or the like. It’s worth the extra money to keep dry as well as warm as needed. The Patagonia jacket and very light Patagonia rain pants work well and stand the test of time. Their warranty and quality of clothing makes the money spent worth it.
Buen camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

For the past six years, I have used a 33 L Osprey backpack, which has been fine, but it is always fully packed. I thoroughly understand that nature abhors a vacuum, so any available space in a bag...
Hi all The time is finally nearly here. On Sept 15th I'll be arriving in SJPDP to start the Camino. At the moment, the only thing I have to sleep in is a liner. Now that's it's getting a bit...
Hey everyone. My wife and I are flying next Saturday and starting the Ingles on Tuesday. We think we've got everything we need. I'm posting this here to see if there are any glaring mistakes in...
Hello, We are planning on doing the Porto coastal route in the next week or two. We are flying from the west coast in the US. I've read many threads on phone service. There was one really great...
I will be walking the CP Coastal from Matosinhos to Vigo later this month. From what I read and see much (maybe most) of the walk will be on boardwalk and paved surfaces, which may affect my...
Good evening fellow pilgrims. I've been searching for an embroidered patch of a Camino symbol to add to my hat. Just looking for either a simply scallop shell or arrow only without any writing ...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.