• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 11.0

Pension Che near Amenal to Santiago de Compostela, Day 84, the last day of our Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 5th, July 2024.
Thanks Rowena for your very good wishes.
Yes, we have arrived safely! It has been long, enjoyable, tiring and very difficult at times but we are very happy to have arrived safely to Santiago.
This is probably our last Camino and it has been amazing, we have met so many wonderful people along the way! We are having four nights in Santiago to help us relax and enjoy the city once more, before we fly home to Australia via London for a few days, Edinburgh for one night and a concert. Three photos from our last day! We walked into the Praza and met up with one of the beautiful families we had met since Sarria and they very kindly took our photo for us. We were also very happy to see the Botafumeiro swing last night at Mass, the Cathedral was packed.
View attachment 173897View attachment 173898View attachment 173899
Anne&Pat,

Thank you so much for sharing your paths, photos and thoughts with all of your digital followers here on the forum. It was always a pleasure to read your daily updates.

Enjoy Santiago and the next days before you return home

Wherever you may be do keep on keeping on and be thankful for life and your precious memories.

Carpe diem!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
near Logroño

photo taken October 27, 2015

Brothers and pilgrim near Logrono.jpg

This pilgrim and I were very tired. When I asked to sit on one of two camp chairs he inquired if he might use the other chair. The caring brothers then queried what we and/or future pilgrims might most enjoy -- hot chocolate or cake? In unison we weary pilgrims replied "More seats would be great !"

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
April 2024 - Caldas de Reis to Padron
We left Caldas de Reis early, and after walking about 7 or 8 kms we came to a café and decided to stop, and get a stamp! My granddaughter went to pull out her credenciale … and it wasn't there! “Da”, she said, “I lost my credenciale!” She went through all her pockets and waist pack again, but no luck. I called the Albergue Albor where we had stayed in Caldas de Reis and explained the situation. The woman there remembered us very well, after all it's hard to forget someone who reserves a room as Abuelo Bill! While I was speaking with her on the phone, she went to the room where we had slept and she exclaims to me on the phone “I found it! It was on the floor!” I asked if our backpacks had been picked up yet and she said they hadn't, so she put the credenciale in a backpack. As soon as we reached Padrón we found our albergue and voilá … my granddaughter and her credenciale are reunited! That is one relieved and happy girl! A tip of the hat to a Camino Angel at the Albergue Albor!

credenciale.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€46,-
April 2024 - Cathedral Eclipse

An imaginative Camino Amigo took a photo of my granddaughter and me in Obradoiro Square this past April.

Cathedral eclipse 1.jpg

And, if you are wondering how the square can be so empty on such a beautiful sunny day, well, here is the original photo. 😆 Using a camera feature to remove tourists. Pretty handy from time to time!

Cathedral eclipse 2.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances
Logroño
Iglesia de Santiago el Real

photo taken October 24, 2011

Logrono, Iglesia de Santiago el Real.jpg

Saint James is depicted on this bi-level door front in two different guises associated with his hagiography. On the lower level he is a gentle pilgrim wearing a hat and cape. The upper level depiction is as Matamoros or Moor slayer riding a spirited horse beneath which lie slain Moors.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

View attachment 174631
I think it's this
I was told it's very hard to get.
Look in your Credentials to see if you can find it.
May the Force be with you.
Thanks for your update. Unfortunately that one is not amongst the 400+ sellos that I have in my Credentials.

20210910_123250.jpg.
No one can obtain this "sello", not even on May 4, because it is a joke by the author of the mural.
Number 10 of Barriocepo Street is the building where the wall that supports the mural is located. In this building there is a foundation.
Barriocepo, 10 .jpg
As far as I know, the rest of the "sellos" are authentic.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
April 2024 - Camino Portuguese
As we hiked along from Padrón to O Milladoiro, we spotted a pilgrim ahead of us with balloons attached to her backpack, and a sign indicating the age she was celebrating! Cool! From quite a distance behind her I said to myself "How nice! Someone is celebrating their 50th birthday by walking a Camino." ... that is ... until I got a lot nearer and could read what her sign actually said! 👏

Birthday Girl.jpg

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Camino Frances
Ventosa
Albergue San Saturnino

photo taken February 17, 2007

Ventosa.jpg

In Ventosa, a small village located slightly off the CF path between Navarrete and Nájera, this private albergue, named after the local church, was a very comfortable renovation wonderfully heated in winter.

April 2024 - Camino Portugués

A short while after leaving Pontevedra, we emerged from a forest path onto a narrow gravel road. Looking at the type of road, and how narrow it was, I thought that putting up a ‘No Passing’ sign for automobiles was a little funny 🤪🤣 or else I am seriously underestimating the skills of Spanish drivers!!

No passing.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
east of Nájera near Aleson
guardaviñas

photo taken February 18, 2007

near Aleson 2007.jpg

To form the conical roof of this guardaviñas, a circular stone shelter used by La Rioja vintners, flat stones would have been laid in a vertical series of concentric circles which diminish in size.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
guardaviñas

View attachment 175141

To form the conical roof of this guardaviñas, a circular stone shelter used by La Rioja vintners, flat stones would have been laid in a vertical series of concentric circles which diminish in size.
Corbelling. People were smart, maybe a lot smarter than today. 😇

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Camino Frances
guardaviñas

View attachment 175141

Camino Catalan. Tenth stage. Artés - Manresa.
In Catalonia we call them "barraques de pedra seca" dry stone huts, because there is no cement between the stones.
Here you can see another way to do it.

2024-02-12_09-16-34.jpg

Camino Catalan. Tenth stage. Artés - Manresa.
In Catalonia we call them "barraques de pedra seca" dry stone huts, because there is no cement between the stones.
Here you can see another way to do it.

View attachment 175304
Similar to dry stone walls in the west of Ireland. Our pre tech smart forebears!

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Not the greatest photo, but it encapsulates a moment. The Cheesy River with a couple of people I had walked with for a day and had dinner with in Roncesvalles the night before. I never realised I would never see them again or how often I would think of them afterwards. Even now 6 years on... Mads , Steff & Emilio

Sept '18 Zubiri ( The Cheesy River ™) River Arga

Attachments

• IMG_4917.JPG
    IMG_4917.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
Camino Frances
Najera
Panteón Real
sarcophagus

Najera sarcophagus.JPG

Small figures adorn this 12th c. sarcophagus which is one of the multitude of sculpted pieces within the pantheon of the kings of the kingdom of Nájera-Pamplon installed in a wing of the monastery of Santa María la Real.

April 2024 - O Portela Birthday Dinner!

Our communal dinner table at the albergue in O Portela, 19 people at the table representing the following countries: Canada; Portugal; Poland; Sweden; Czech Republic; Brazil; Germany; Greece; Croatia; Ireland; Netherlands. Before the meal, our host Pedro, gave a short speech on the tradition and importance of a communal meal on the Camino. One of the pilgrims from Poland had a birthday just a couple of days earlier, so Pedro secretly arranged with everyone else, to give him a little surprise. Before the meal, as he introduced the pilgrims from each country, he asked us to sing Happy Birthday to Adam in the tradition and language of their country! It was a hoot! 11 versions of Happy Birthday in different languages!

Birthday.jpg

One of three dogs on the route down from the Grand St Bernard Pass. Behind was an (Italian) Alpine guide with a fully loaded packhorse and about a dozen walkers on their way up to the pass (left of the pic).

Having just come down, we knew part of the route was sheer and narrow due to the spring rains that had loosened the scree. Have wondered since how they all managed.

Attachments

• Dogs on the Camino.JPEG
    Dogs on the Camino.JPEG
    536.9 KB · Views: 13
April 25, 2024
The Camino Sanabres crosses over the mountains from Puebla de Sanabria in Castilla y Leon to A Gudiña in Galicia. I had skipped a couple of very challenging uphill days by taking a bus between these two town and then a taxi to Campobecerros.
On this day I set out from Campobecerros early, and soon passed through the semi-abandoned village of Portocamba.

16780BA9-5DBA-4F3D-9E44-7F5E21F660FC.jpeg

I am fairly sure I posted this before, but I need to justify my membership of this thread!:cool:
taken on the square outside Leon Cathedral.
20170706_191638.JPG
We stayed in Covent Garden. It was €17 in 2017, breakfast included, and allowed more than one night. Central, comfortable.

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.

Most read last week in this forum

Stopped in at a Starbucks in Vancouver today. I don’t care for Starbucks but was with a friend who likes it. A latte or similar at Starbucks costs around €4. That’s a typical price for any coffee...
Hi everyone, I leave for my Camino in a few short weeks and am trying to figure out what the washing machine situation is. I will be traveling on the CP from Porto and hoping to take the coastal...
The affect of a church on each of us is highly subjective and possibly based on many considerations, including; location, architecture, a particular statue, perhaps a memory inspired by an art...
76 year old male looking to do another Camino around April 2025. Completed CF from SJPP in 2022 and Portuguese from Porto earlier this year. I’ve looked at del Norte, but wanted to keep days...
A Stolperstein is a ten-centimetre (3.9 in) concrete cube bearing a brass plate inscribed with the name and life dates of victims of Nazi extermination or persecution. Literally, it means...
Dear Forum Members, I’m reaching out to invite those planning to walk the Camino de Santiago to participate in a research study aimed at exploring the effects of the Camino pilgrimage on health...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back