Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Poles

JEGM

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2022 / September 2024
Hi!

I am doing the Del Norte in September from Irun along the coast - do I need walking poles? I am pretty fit and did not need them on the route from Porto two years ago. Any advice?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Camino del Norte is an entirely different beast to the Portuguese Camino! Many, many more ups and downs. Whether you need poles is entirely up to you and your abilities. I use poles on all of my Caminos, but have met people on the Norte who did not use them.
There will be places where you can buy poles along the way if you don't bring them and change your mind.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I use one pole, but that another discussion 😉
I have always used a single pole on all of my Caminos with no problems, and prefer the freedom of my one free arm/hand. I'm considering using two on my upcoming Invierno Camino, but I am dragging my feet in making that decision.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked 3 caminos without poles..including the Norte. I started carrying poles about my 4th camino and have carried them since. I do not walk with them normally but carry them folded on my pack and use them for long or steep up hill or down.

My wife uses Pacer Poles constantly while walking on a camino. No so much on training or practice walks.

But.....that is just what is comfortable for me. It seems that the use of poles is very specific to each individual.

It seems that the use of poles is very specific to each individual.
This appears to be very true.

What also appears to be very true about the endless discussion on poles on this forum is that the knowledge individuals' have about the advantages and disadvantage of poles is also very specific, and thus, for many, limited.

@JEGM if you have further interest use the search feature to find much more information.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It seems that the use of poles is very specific to each individual.
So it seems. That said, there is some good advice on how to use poles effectively. This one is sharply focussed on Leki poles, but it has good explanations of using poles on level ground, going uphill, going downhill and in other circumstances.

You can then make the choice about whether to use them all the time, or just on steeper slopes. Remember, however, that if they are in your pack, they are absolutely no use protecting you from falling after you trip or stumble while there. I know my preference is to have them in my hands, and never in my pack until I have stopped walking and I'm getting ready to return home.

I have always used a single pole on all of my Caminos with no problems, and prefer the freedom of my one free arm/hand. I'm considering using two on my upcoming Invierno Camino, but I am dragging my feet in making that decision.
Using two hiking poles, in cadence with your walking pace, is like having "four-paw drive." It contributes a lot to being able to propel yourself forward and up a hill.

It also gives you twice the stability when walking DOWN a hill.

Once you get used to using two poles, I doubt you will go back to one.

Hope this helps.

Tom

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hi!

I am doing the Del Norte in September from Irun along the coast - do I need walking poles? I am pretty fit and did not need them on the route from Porto two years ago. Any advice?
We just completed the Norte from Irun to Santiago. The elevation gain in the first week is massive. I could not have survived without poles especially on the descents. That being said I did note younger walkers without poles. Only you can assess your needs. Buen Camino.

We just completed the Norte from Irun to Santiago. The elevation gain in the first week is massive. I could not have survived without poles especially on the descents. That being said I did note younger walkers without poles. Only you can assess your needs. Buen Camino.
I agree. When I walked it in 2018 (I think it was) there were lots of wonderful young people and none of them used poles and got along just fine. But this old guy, used them every day. As you say, especially on the endless downhills after the endless uphills.

My wife went from reluctant to bringing poles, to thinking she would use one (not two) occasionally, to using them constantly from the first hill out of Irun until we arrived in Santiago. If you were to ask her now, she would tell you she would not have been able to do the Camino without poles. Then again, we were reckless young kids of 70 at the time. Your mileage may vary.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Using two hiking poles, in cadence with your walking pace, is like having "four-paw drive." It contributes a lot to being able to propel yourself forward and up a hill.

It also gives you twice the stability when walking DOWN a hill.

Once you get used to using two poles, I doubt you will go back to one.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I understand that, Tom, but any time I walk on stream beds, picking my way on wet big rocks for balance, there is no cadence. I absolutely love having my one free hand without a pole dangling from it as I constantly open my waist bag to retrieve my phone for pictures and other necessities. I also never use the strap...my bad.
That said, I totally agree that two poles are usually better than one.

On the del Norte last May I was very glad to have poles for the sections from Irun up to Galicia. In addition to walking points mentioned above, there are many rough trail sections that get muddy and even submerged if there is a day or two of rain. Good to have poles to help balance around and across these.

Once in Galicia, the general quality of trails got better.

I understand that, Tom, but any time I walk on stream beds, picking my way on wet big rocks for balance, there is no cadence. I absolutely love having my one free hand without a pole dangling from it as I constantly open my waist bag to retrieve my phone for pictures and other necessities. I also never use the strap...my bad.
Then do as you feel safest. You could tote a second pole, collapsed, for when you do find the need.

At least you are out there walking the Camino. I am still home-bound as a caregiver.

Buen Camino,

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!

You have some good responses above, all equally valid. This really is such an individual thing.
I never used to use poles, now I would never be without them on any multiday walk.
I don't carry my poles, they carry me.
The key is to learn to use them properly before you go. I, and others on the forum have found this video useful - perhaps you may too.

A suggestion for you. Buy a cheap pair of poles at your local store, learn to use them and see how you feel. If you're still undecided you could start without and buy a pair on camino if you change your mind.

Take two, if you change your mind you can always collapse one and strap it to your pack or donate it to somebody who wishes they had brought a pole along.

I was always a "one poler" until I got my PacerPoles. That's when I discovered that I leaned over to the left as I walked so, if nothing else, they corrected my posture although I was told that my first efforts at walking with them made me look like "a baby giraffe trying to stand upright"
Envious of you upcoming trip - enjoy! ❤️

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I was always a "one poler" until I got my PacerPoles. That's when I discovered that I leaned over to the left as I walked so, if nothing else, they corrected my posture although I was told that my first efforts at walking with them made me look like "a baby giraffe trying to stand upright"
Envious of you upcoming trip - enjoy! ❤️
Baby giraffe trying to stand upright? To think that we all looked like that when we started out with walking poles or worse.

I found that hiking poles are extremely useful in the rain, walking down rocky slopes and places where you have to jump over torrents of rain. Poles will help you with body balance and when you are tired, will help you walking. I have a pair of hiking poles made in the United States that are collapsible which means that I can place them in my backpack without them being seen when taking the plane.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m fairly new to this forum and it has been VERY helpful preparing me and answering a multitude of questions prior to my 1st Camino. Currently, I have just completed Day 14 of the Norte which...
After a peaceful night at the beautiful Blai Blai Hostel in Zarautz, we were all awakened at 5:00am by a young man repacking his huge pack, in the middle of the floor, with his bunk light on...
I saw that someone mentioned recently having walked from Santander to Liencres on a coastal route. I am here in Santander and would like to take that route. I’m brand new to the Camino and to...
This is just a shot in the dark but if anyone starting on the Del Norte finds a New Zealand passport lost today (Saturday 14th September between Hendaye and Sebastian, please PM message me and...
At CSJ Alberque San Martin de Miraz. If yours, contact hospitaleros on 0034-982-830700 with your name and date if visit (from pilgrim passport) and we will arrange return.
I am currently walking the Camino del Norte and seem to have dropped a small brown sunglass case with sunglass clip inside. Somewhere between Castro-Urdiales and Laredo, by way of Liendo. It is in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back