• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Very simple app or gps to just know your speed

Osterman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned CF May/June 2025
Good afternoon.
Probably this is a trivial question, but I am asking nevertheless.
Is there a app for Android or a very cheap gps watch only for distance/time and therefore speed?
On my Samsung I have an app called Health, but it is far too complicated and unnecessary.
Also, smartwatches usually have non requested data, such as altitude, weather, heart, etc, thus are quite expensive.
My need is very simple; I just would like to know how long have I walked, what distance have I walked and thus what my speed is.
Thank you.

The 2025 edition of the Lightfoot Guide to the via Podiensis is now available
I use my watch and a map. I could use my ‘phone, but when on Camino I prefer to have that switched-off and packed away.

I’m curious - feel free to point out that it’s none of my business - why are you interested in your speed as opposed to simply ‘where am I and what time is it?’.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Tincatinker (again massive Thanks) advised me last week to download mapy.cz as I was on Camino Vadiniese in bad weather approaching. I can now say I will always use it, I found it invaluable. I didn't know it could record your walk, now I've a new task to learn. (I also use my Garmin swim 2 watch but it has to be charged, another lead carried, another task every day/pain) I was always against the Phone/apps but walking solo it's now essential.

I use my watch and a map. I could use my ‘phone, but when on Camino I prefer to have that switched-off and packed away.

I’m curious - feel free to point out that it’s none of my business - why are you interested in your speed as opposed to simply ‘where am I and what time is it?’.
Just to know if I have to speed up or if I can take it easy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like @trecile, on the occasions I want this information I also use mapy.cz. Ironically I did exactly that today....
I downloaded it for use on less travelled trails, it's free, easy to figure out and some functions can be used offline (in airplane mode). That spares battery and data. Plus you can actually even use the map should you decide to wander or stay off route for example.
You can also use it on your laptop, which gives you additional features - route planning for example.
It operates and has maps worldwide, download it at home and have a play - you can always delete it if you don't like it.
I even discovered a trail in my local area that I knew nothing about!

I just look at distance in km on my watch, and divide by time in hours, and voila! I get very close. No app, no calculator, just math in my head, because really--what else is there to do when my mind is completely empty out there!? 😂🤣

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I just need to know my speed, but don't need a map or directions, I use an app called SpeedSound. It is a voice (i.e., speaking) speedometer.

Good afternoon.
Is there a app for Android or a very cheap gps watch only for distance/time and therefore speed?
On my Samsung I have an app called Health, but it is far too complicated and unnecessary.
Also, smartwatches usually have non requested data, such as altitude, weather, heart, etc, thus are quite expensive.
My need is very simple; I just would like to know how long have I walked, what distance have I walked and thus what my speed is.
Thank you.
Hi

Have a look at STRAVA.

I just look at distance in km on my watch, and divide by time in hours, and voila! I get very close. No app, no calculator, just math in my head, because really--what else is there to do when my mind is completely empty out there!? 😂🤣
Usually watches don't tell you distance, they only tell you hours and minutes.
What kind of watch do you have? Is it a smartwatch?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gronze.com provides stage maps with distances in kilometres between individual points on the stage.

Divide your distance travelled by hours to get your km/h.

Gronze.com provides stage maps with distances in kilometres between individual points on the stage.

Divide your distance travelled by hours to get your km/h.
That was my original idea, but it only works if you are at a specific point, not if you are in between.

The 2025 edition of the Lightfoot Guide to the via Podiensis is now available
Although I downloaded Wikiloc to record and follow tracks I also use it during local walks to check how I'm doing with my exercise. It gives distance, time, speed and elevation information in a large font making it easy to read even while walking. You can choose between metric and imperial units. The distance is given to two decimal points. For the other pieces of information you can swipe to change what is shown. For speed you can see current or average speed or average pace. For time you can pick from recording, moving or total time (you can pause from recording). The elevation data can be switched from current elevation to elevation gain or loss.

Like I said, I got the app for a different purpose so I put up with the one thing I don't like about it, it computes average speed using moving time, not total time thus making it look like I'm covering ground faster than I really am. I want to get a feel of how long it will take to complete future walks so I want to include those tiny breaks taken during the walk that I don't pause the app for. To get the speed I really want while still moving I use the calculator and the distance and the recording time two ways.

1) I keep walking to either 6 minutes after an hour or 3 and convert to hours and tenths or or half of tenths (e.g., 1.1 or 2.15) and then divide distance by hours in decimal time.

2) Usually only done at the end of the walk I convert the hours and minutes to just minutes, divide the distance by minutes and multiply the result by 60.

Hmm, my Fitbit displays my "pace", live speed over ground when walking in Minutes per Mile (other systems of measurement are available). It, naturally displays that as Zero if I stand still to consult it :rolleyes:. It will also display my average pace. Though I have to stop and activate that feature which, of course, reduces my average pace ;). Younger persons, less afraid of tripping and falling, may be able to use that feature in ease.

What it also does is record my total mileage at any given point so if the Fitbit tells me I've walked 15 miles of a 20 mile walk at xpace I can take a fair fling at how much longer I'm going to be walking for. I'm unlikely to speed up unless I'm 200m from the bus stop and the bus is already there or I'm half-an-hour walking distance from the pub and its 35 minutes till closing-time.

To be honest I use the damn thing mostly to monitor my heart rate on climbs so that I can take a view on whether I should take a break but I also use its records as a means to keep my cardiologist and GP off my back. Though I'm always a little chuffed if it tells me I'm getting anywhere near a 15 minute mile....

Good afternoon.
Thank you.
Hi, Try Mapmywalk app

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good afternoon.
Thank you.
Duffy app is great for distance, steps,
Good afternoon.
Thank you.
I like the app MapMyWalk or Strava. Duffy is great but I don’t think it measures pace (speed)

A FitBit will be a less expensive option than a smart watch. Investing in an apple ultra or garmin (even a used/reissued) will be most accurate and so worth it if you want to measure pace, distance, steps, HR etc.

I love data so I use all the things. 😁

I like my Apple Ultra, bought right before I left on my first Camino and was very pleased with long battery life and quick charge features - appreciate this may not be helpful for someone not using Apple products.

I set mine on "hiking" which displays elevation gain instead of speed, which I found more useful - less concerned about mph on long walks and it was interesting to note elevation gain on some of the steeper parts of the Norte and Primitivo. I have a pretty good idea of my pace and know what slows it down, but can't recall a time I wanted to speed it up.

For some reason, the distance on my watch was always more (and never less) than the distance indicated on my route, but it was helpful to keep track of how far I'd walked and how much further I might have to go (but a little frustrating on a long day to see that when I thought I only had a couple of miles left based on my route, it turned out I actually had to walk more than that, ha!).

One feature I really like on a smart watch is being able to pay for things with a tap of my watch (at all places that accepted credit cards, and almost all accepted tap), it meant not having to take anything out of my pack to pay.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there fellow Peregrinos! I will walk my first Camino in May 2025 and am slowly gathering my equipment. I have my boots that I've been hiking in and this pair seem to be good. I really want a...
I am currently looking for a new backpack for my next camino and was wondering if anybody on the forum has triednwith the gossamer G4-20 UL 42 ?
Good afternoon. Probably this is a trivial question, but I am asking nevertheless. Is there a app for Android or a very cheap gps watch only for distance/time and therefore speed? On my Samsung I...
I am leaving my island next week for a short trip to Quebec City, my home town and I will have a look to the MEC Serratus 40, seems interesting, has anybody tried it ...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back