• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Very simple app or gps to just know your speed

Osterman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned CF May/June 2025
Good afternoon.
Probably this is a trivial question, but I am asking nevertheless.
Is there a app for Android or a very cheap gps watch only for distance/time and therefore speed?
On my Samsung I have an app called Health, but it is far too complicated and unnecessary.
Also, smartwatches usually have non requested data, such as altitude, weather, heart, etc, thus are quite expensive.
My need is very simple; I just would like to know how long have I walked, what distance have I walked and thus what my speed is.
Thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use my watch and a map. I could use my ‘phone, but when on Camino I prefer to have that switched-off and packed away.

I’m curious - feel free to point out that it’s none of my business - why are you interested in your speed as opposed to simply ‘where am I and what time is it?’.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Tincatinker (again massive Thanks) advised me last week to download mapy.cz as I was on Camino Vadiniese in bad weather approaching. I can now say I will always use it, I found it invaluable. I didn't know it could record your walk, now I've a new task to learn. (I also use my Garmin swim 2 watch but it has to be charged, another lead carried, another task every day/pain) I was always against the Phone/apps but walking solo it's now essential.

I use my watch and a map. I could use my ‘phone, but when on Camino I prefer to have that switched-off and packed away.

I’m curious - feel free to point out that it’s none of my business - why are you interested in your speed as opposed to simply ‘where am I and what time is it?’.
Just to know if I have to speed up or if I can take it easy

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Like @trecile, on the occasions I want this information I also use mapy.cz. Ironically I did exactly that today....
I downloaded it for use on less travelled trails, it's free, easy to figure out and some functions can be used offline (in airplane mode). That spares battery and data. Plus you can actually even use the map should you decide to wander or stay off route for example.
You can also use it on your laptop, which gives you additional features - route planning for example.
It operates and has maps worldwide, download it at home and have a play - you can always delete it if you don't like it.
I even discovered a trail in my local area that I knew nothing about!

I just look at distance in km on my watch, and divide by time in hours, and voila! I get very close. No app, no calculator, just math in my head, because really--what else is there to do when my mind is completely empty out there!? 😂🤣

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I just need to know my speed, but don't need a map or directions, I use an app called SpeedSound. It is a voice (i.e., speaking) speedometer.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there fellow Peregrinos! I will walk my first Camino in May 2025 and am slowly gathering my equipment. I have my boots that I've been hiking in and this pair seem to be good. I really want a...
I am currently looking for a new backpack for my next camino and was wondering if anybody on the forum has triednwith the gossamer G4-20 UL 42 ?
I am leaving my island next week for a short trip to Quebec City, my home town and I will have a look to the MEC Serratus 40, seems interesting, has anybody tried it ...
Good afternoon. Probably this is a trivial question, but I am asking nevertheless. Is there a app for Android or a very cheap gps watch only for distance/time and therefore speed? On my Samsung I...
Hi all, is there a New Zealand camino sub forum here or on another online platform? Thanks Bernie

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back