• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking poles

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Is there a shop to buy trekking poles in St. Jean Pied de Port and if so, estimate of cost?
Yes! There’s the Peregrino equipment store a few doors down and almost opposite the Pilgrim office in SJPP.

I bought my Leki trekking poles there in 2019 after my checked poles were delayed 8 months by Iceland Air. And these beauties survived the trip back to Spain inside my backpack today without a hiccup!
👣🎒💖

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hmmm? In 2019 they were 60€?!? Can’t remember exactly. But I will price them for you when I arrive there in a few days.
👍🏾
If you can wait until Pamplona / (spain ) you’ll be able to pick up poles for 6€ each at Decathlon. You’ll find Decathlon in many larger places in lots of countries including spain and France for example.

Google Decathlon, Also ; if you can wait to buy your gear until you reach any Decathlon in Europe . … they are a great store … prices are so much better than ( in my case, Australia ). They carry all gear you’re likely to need for a camino. Even good walking footwear . Trousers shorts etc. If you stop first in Madrid : there is a Decathlon store close to Atocha station.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
E mail the shop. Ask for a quote. Pierre I think. If price is OK ask him to hold a pair. Put tape or something on them ( barbershop 💈) like to identify.
Yes there is a shop on rue de La citadels just opposite the pilgrim office and down the hill a bit open from 7am or 7.30 am and the staff were very helpful. I bought a set of poles for 18 euro. They were perfect. I could have opted for ones at 45 euro. The difference being how to adjust them (the dearer ones had a kind of open and close adjuster to quickly adjust the height but the cheaper ones were still easy to adjust..had to manually screw/unscrew 5 turns..not a difficult job!)

If you can wait until Pamplona / (spain ) you’ll be able to pick up poles for 6€ each at Decathlon. You’ll find Decathlon in many larger places in lots of countries including spain and France for example.

Google Decathlon, Also ; if you can wait to buy your gear until you reach any Decathlon in Europe . … they are a great store … prices are so much better than ( in my case, Australia ). They carry all gear you’re likely to need for a camino. Even good walking footwear . Trousers shorts etc. If you stop first in Madrid : there is a Decathlon store close to Atocha station.
I have never been disappointed with goods bought in Decathlon but, if you can wait until you get to Pamplona/Iruña why not try Caminoteca?

A small shop, run for Pilgrims, they have a budget pole at 8.90€ (you'll need to buy rubber tips - get spares):

Blue trekking Stick

You can see inside the store here: See the shop

They even stock the much hyped Altus raincoat!

Buen Camino!

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Is there a shop to buy trekking poles in St. Jean Pied de Port and if so, estimate of cost?
Side question. Are you used to using poles? If you are excuse my post. Poles used correctly are a great help. Used incorrectly, they’re a burden. If you’ve not used poles before, there are videos on correct technique from both Leki and Black Diamond I believe, certainly on YouTube.

E mail the shop. Ask for a quote. Pierre I think. If price is OK ask him to hold a pair. Put tape or something on them ( barbershop 💈) like to identify.
Just there two weeks ago - Pierre a great shop owner has retired and sold his shop. It was closed for a week to inventory- don't know if it's open but was supposed to be

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I've been looking at this particular collapsible umbrella but am concerned that it's shorter handle would interfere with a hands-free application. I'd like to hear from people who have experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.