• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical insurance

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all,

Is it necessary and if so do you have any recommendations? (Coming from the EU)
Many thanks
Your European health card will give you medical treatment in Spain, just like home/EU.

However, if you need medical transportation back home, you need a medical insurance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Should you have a credit card, before purchasing medical insurance, check your credit card policy as concerns repatriation to your home country. It may be that your card includes that cost.

It is different for you EU folks and you got some good answers above. All i can tell you that as a US citizen I would not even remotely DREAM of going abroad without travel insurance. Just a possible evacuation going back home would be enough to bankrupt almost anyone!

Through all my travels (not necessary Camino-related) on the Continent I had to submit claims 2-3 times (one was for a Camino) . Got promptly paid all the times and to me my piece of mind was worth every penny spent

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all,

Is it necessary and if so do you have any recommendations? (Coming from the EU)
Many thanks
As @alexwalker says, as I understand it you're covered except for evac home. Here in Germany I have a family policy that covers both of us for trips of up to 56 days, unlimited trips. Total cost 30 euros (up to 59 years old, doubles from 60 - 69!).
My son is forever going in and out of England (girlfriend) and I travel whenever I can too. No need to advise them that you're going.

I mentioned that credit cards often here in Europe cover health risks outside of your home country including repatriation. In one’s annual payment for VISA, Mastercard, American Express credit cards, one often has these medical costs included.
Many years ago, found myself in the US with hospital costs in Utah. My Mastercard is associated with Mondial Assistance and all costs were advanced by Mondial Assistance including repatriation by plane to France.

I mentioned that credit cards often here in Europe cover health risks outside of your home country including repatriation. In one’s annual payment for VISA, Mastercard, American Express credit cards, one often has these medical costs included.
Many years ago, found myself in the US with hospital costs in Utah. My Mastercard is associated with Mondial Assistance and all costs were advanced by Mondial Assistance including repatriation by plane to France.
Yes, it's well worth checking your policy.

My NZ MasterCard has similar provisions but there are limitations. Logically , I have to pay for the trip with my MasterCard in order to qualify.

My German card does not.

Not every credit card comes with travel insurance - typically, it's offered on premium cards (which charge a higher fee), but may not be on 'standard' cards. Every bank differs, it's really important to check the terms and conditions.

NB: Sometimes you have to 'activate' the policy to qualify.

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
It is different for you EU folks and you got some good answers above. All i can tell you that as a US citizen I would not even remotely DREAM of going abroad without travel insurance. Just a possible evacuation going back home would be enough to bankrupt almost anyone!

Through all my travels (not necessary Camino-related) on the Continent I had to submit claims 2-3 times (one was for a Camino) . Got promptly paid all the times and to me my piece of mind was worth every penny spent

Good Luck and Buen Camino
@CW, which company(s) did you use for your travel insurance needs with such good results you've had for reimbursement? I've used a few different companies, but have never (yet) needed a claim.

@Camino Chrissy - I (we) always use Travelex Insurance. Been with them since 2010. I usually take the Travel Select option which suits my needs just fine. The Camino and even my upcoming TMB do not rate as "adventure sports" - hiking and even mountain climbing are included in your basic policy so no upgrades are needed.

I've alluded to this in some of my previous posts on the like-subject.
We took out a policy with Return Assured will protect you, your family and your estate if death should occur 75 miles or more from your legal residence (Legal residence must be in the United States or Canada). There was a one-time $570.00 fee for a lifetime membership. With our wanderings into Europe pretty much every year and extensive travel in Northern America - this is a no brainer.

Since this covers any repatriation of remains and so much more (i.e. any and all legal paperwork, etc. if you are overseas) - the coverage of Travelex is "gravy" on that part. Plus any travel-related mishap that may happen on the day of travel is covered by CC insurance which the tickets wee charged to.

and yes those claims I spoke of were very promptly paid. I usually don't tarry with submitting them (within a week after return at the most) and I do have all the supporting documents at hand. I'd say within 30-60 days the issues were resolved and the checks came in the mail

Most read last week in this forum

Hello all, Is it necessary and if so do you have any recommendations? (Coming from the EU) Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.