• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Little sculptures

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
Leon
Parador San Marcos
cloister garden

photo taken March 7, 2007

Parador San Marcos cloister .JPG

These two saints guard the cloister garden within the Parador.

When clad in my winter pilgrim garb I dared enter the Parador to ask if the famous Renaissance cloister garden could be visited the elegant maitre de answered that I might faire le tour but must NOT enter it!

Thus while I slowly walked the periphery arcade those saints and he intently watched every footstep!! This photo is proof of my peripatetic quest!

@mspath posted one that was perhaps explicit. This one is even more explicitly crude, but I did like it. Not a capital but a water spout on a church in Azurara, Portugal on the Coastal Route before Vila do Conde. Consider yourselves warned.

View attachment 165233

Those are wonderful. There are actually several of them on Hospital de los Reyes Catolicos in Santiago and they pee/poo on you if it rains. These are baroque additions to medieval hospice/hospital.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral interior
Alpha-Omega disc

photo taken December 9, 2012

alpha-omega disc.jpg

Amongst the multitude of splendor within the cathedral is this handsome disc displaying a four arm cross set with symbols of the sun/moon in the upper quadrants and alpha/omega in the lower quadrants.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sol Invictus in the visigothic chapel (c680AD) of Santa María de Lara, Quintanilla de las Viñas. Camino de San Olav.
31 October 2018.

IMG_20181031_202024_624-1.jpg

The barely Christianised Sol is paired with a (to my eye) entirely pagan Selene/Isis/Luna. 800 years after they were created they would have induced a fit of the vapours in any sharp-eyed Inquisitor.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
east of Nájera near Aleson
guardaviñas

photo taken February 18, 2007

near Aleson 2007.jpg

This small circular stone shelter for la Rioja vintners is a guardaviñas. To form the conical roof stones would have been laid flat in concentric circles diminishing in size.

Camino Frances
Ponferrada
markers

photo taken November 20, 2011

markers Ponferrada .jpg

These handsome small markers are attached to the south side of the Iglesia de San Andrés at the busy crossing of the Avenida el Castillo and Calle el Temple.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
Burgos cathedral
Matamoros

photos taken February 24, 2007

Matamoros, from afar.jpg

From afar through a camera lens the Matamoros or Moor Slayer can be seen in isolation but viewed in situ the vast scene

Matamoros, in situ.JPG

covers one wall of the Capilla de San Juan Bautista y Santiago visited as part of the cathedral museum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
O Cebreiro
Santa Maria a Real

photos taken November 28, 2014

O Cebreiro, chalice.jpg

The magnificent chalice in the church was a gift from royalty commemorating a medieval miracle of faith when a parishioner experienced the transformation of wine and bread.

O Cebreiro, embroidery.jpg

The sculpted shape of the chalice is repeated in this contemporary embroidered panel hanging in a side chapel.

This totally does not belong here but I wanted @mspath to wake up to some more color that her post above inspired. Titled "Royal Heart" this is my picture of a Sacred Heart inspired jewelry sculpture designed by Dalí on display at an annex at his museum in Figueres. A motor causes the heart to beat. Details follow.

IMG_20191010_162143~2.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The other day some robot at Google went through my photos and selected a bunch of small sculptures that it considered should belong together. There was one from New Zealand and a couple from the Rock of Cashel in Ireland but the bulk were from Spain. At the end it allowed me to save them in a collage. Here it is.

IMG_20161121_105219-COLLAGE.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances
Columbrianos
Iglesia de San Esteban
marker

photo taken November 21, 2011

marker, Columbrianos.jpg

At the Iglesia de San Esteban de Columbrianos located on the CF north of central Ponferrada this sculpted ceramic marker pointed the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
Melide

photo taken March 24, 2006

Melide marker.jpg

This marker is at the junction of the rua principal and travesia principal, a pedestrian passage which leads to rua San Antonio where the Melide municipal albergue is located.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Camino Frances
Santo Domingo de la Calzada

photo taken November 2, 2013

historic chicken coop.jpg

Over time chickens have become THE symbol of Santo Domingo de la Calzada. This historic coop complete with live chickens (changed every two weeks!) is within the cathedral.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do love going into the cemeteries along the way, paying my respects and remembering my own that have passed. Oftentimes, you'll find the most exquisite grave markers / headstones. I love how even in the tiniest of villages the cemeteries are loving cared for, clean, fresh flowers, monuments washed , crypts polished...it's not something I see here in the northeast part of the USA.

Also interesting, are the full color sculptors in chapels/churches/cathedrals. I often wonder if their restoration was researched and the determination was made that these were the original colors used ( especially in the smaller village churches ) . I know that the Portico of Glory is now all renewed in living color, but I've yet to see it, (perhaps in the coming weeks I will )

I've enjoyed this thread...have seen many, if not all of the sculptures submitted.

Attachments

• IMG_3008.jpeg
    IMG_3008.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0746.jpeg
    IMG_0746.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 6
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances
Villafranca del Bierzo
Iglesia de Santiago

photo taken November 21, 2011

Puerta del Perdón.jpg

Medieval pilgrims who arrived at this church door unable to continue were given the same indulgences as valid pilgrims who made it all the way to Santiago de Compostela. Hence this door is known as the Puerta del Perdón/Door of Pardon.

€46,-
A solitary vestige of a once vast pre-Romanesque monastery, the Ermita San Felices, appeared forlorn in the bleak light.
I was quite taken by this. It wasn't until MUCH later that I found that it was just a tiny remnant of a much larger structure.

Pantheon of nobles at San Juan de la Peña.
IMG_20191104_125106.jpg

Camino Frances
Ponferrada
Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Carmen

photo taken March 23, 2007

Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Carmen.JPG

It was a splendid surprise to discover the many iconic figures/scenes in this new 1999 painting within the dome of the historic Capilla, adjacent to the San Nicolas de Flüe albergue.
Unfortunately my photo is of a section of the mural not the entire composition.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral, interior
Puerta Santa /Holy Year door

photo taken December 3, 2011

Holy Year door 2011.jpg

In 2011, a non Holy Year, these sculpted panels could be seen on the closed Holy Door which is opened only during a Holy Year, a year when St James’ day, the 25th of July, occurs on a Sunday.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
D15500-VER.jpg

Somewhat related to the theme of this thread is this reliquary for the arm of Saint Thomas Becket located in the Treasury of the Burgos cathedral. Becket, the archbishop of Canterbury, was assassinated either on orders of the English King Henry II or on his behalf. He was declared a saint within years and his veneration extended to Spain partly due to Henry's daughter Eleanor who was married to Castile’s King Alfonso VIII. For Becket’s veneration in Spain see the Legacy/Legado section of his Spanish Wikipedia page.

€149,-
Camino Frances
Alto de San Roque,

photo taken November 24, 2011

Alto de San Roque, 2011.jpg

This contemporary sculpture of a pilgrim in the wind faces west. Tlhe high mountains have been passed; the trail would now descend towards Triacastela.

Camino Frances
Villafranca del Bierzo
off route LE-713

photo taken November 7, 2004

Estudio de Escultora 2004.jpg

Below this tiny figure atop the wall the sign read Estudio de Escultora A. NOGUEIRA

The above exact location was kindly provided in March 2021 by fellow forum member Chenahusky via this earlier post

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Frances
Cizur Menor
albergue Roncal

photo taken 0ctober 1, 2004

albergue Roncal 2004.jpg

Seeing this scallop shell hung at the open doorway during my first CF I immediately sensed that pilgrims were welcome to just walk in.
...Camino life in 2004 was very relaxed!

Vézelay, France
La basilique Sainte-Marie-Madeleine

photo taken December 4, 2008

Vezelay.jpg

Entering the light of the Gothic ambulatory was spiritually and visually overwheming after walking from home.

Romanesque, Gothic, and 19th c. intervention here form timeless beauty; eternal peace is melded with man-made perfection.
...May this magnificent site always endure.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.