• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Baztan: Advice, please.

Time of past OR future Camino
Podiensis, Portugues, Primitivo, 6 others
Gorgeous day in Bayonne. What a delightful city. And oo la la....the chocolate. Yum. We waited too many years to get here.

We received our credencial and stamp at the cathedral by the enthusiastic gentleman at the accuel desk who tried so hard to explain things in franglais. We understood enough. Got hiking poles at Decathalon as recommended on Ivar. Only 7 euros. We're ready to start the Camino Baztan.

Any last minute advice?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Be prepared for some long walks and have a place to stay in mind before you join up with the CF.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Magnifique journée à Bayonne. Quelle charmante ville. Et oo la la... le chocolat. Miam. Nous avons attendu trop d'années pour en arriver là.

Nous avons reçu notre accréditation et notre cachet à la cathédrale par le monsieur enthousiaste du bureau d'accueil qui s'est efforcé d'expliquer les choses en franglais. Nous avons assez compris. J'ai des bâtons de randonnée chez Decathalon comme recommandé sur Ivar. Seulement 7 euros. Nous sommes prêts à commencer le Camino Baztan.

Un conseil de dernière minute ?

Got hiking poles at Decathalon as recommended on Ivar. Only 7 euros.
I have always bought cheapie poles at Decathlon, too, after arriving in Spain. Last year someone mentioned they purchased theirs at a China Bazaar, so on my last two caminos I have done the same since they had stores closer to where I was staying with a similar 6-7 euro cheap price. A few times over the years I have had to go quite a bit out of my way to get to the nearest Decathlon, so it was nice to read about this tip.

Nope. Just enjoy! (And yes, there's mud. And hills - at least three good ones, increasing in challenge as you go. But it's a lovely little camino - and a nice alternative to motoring up to SJPP and starting there.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
after leaving the main town of the Baztan valley....something like Elizando (don't remember the name) Walk with food. I had to return as there was no place to buy food for two days....it was easter.

I never did write about the Baztan after we arrived in Pamplona. It was truly unforgettable. I highly recommend it with plenty of caveats. Not for the first time walker. We encountered a Chinese fellow, all alone, sitting on a log, shoes and socks off, wet and clearly miserable. He carried almost nothing with him. We gave him all the food we had and counseled him that there was an albergue but no food in Beroueta. He was going the other direction. We called authorities alerting them to this lost pilgrim.

We came fully prepared and gave outselves six days to walk it, rather than usual five. Many, if not most, do not stop in Beroueta but instead keep going to Lanz for a very long day, albeit drop dead gorgeous. We loved the albergue in Beroueta but had a group of 10 of us. Delightrul communal dinner our chefs prepared! The final day to Pamplona from Lanz is also a long one and arguably the least interesting of the stages.

The warmarks are superb, almost comical in some places. . At one point, we could see 9 waymarks ahead on trees. There were very few walkers we encountered. Those we did were walking alone. If one is a veteran peregrino and enjoys walking alone, with a chalenge but in exceptional natural beauty and history, this is one that should be on your bucket list.

We found it so unforgettable we even made a patch as a memento. For those who have read or viewed the Baztan Trilogy, they will understand the witch. We sent patches to all the locals who were so kind to us. They loved the symbols we chose.

Attachments

• Baztan Patch.jpg
    Baztan Patch.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have you read the Baztan Trilogy? Kind of a mystery/thriller grounded in Basque folklore and the Basajuan. The author is Dolores Redondo, and Elizondo plays a very big part in the books. When we went through Elizondo, we saw signs promoting walking tours based on her books. I am not a big mystery, reader, but I thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

Have you read the Baztan Trilogy? Kind of a mystery/thriller grounded in Basque folklore and the Basajuan. The author is Dolores Redondo, and Elizondo plays a very big part in the books. When we went through Elizondo, we saw signs promoting walking tours based on her books. I am not a big mystery, reader, but I thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
Yep. We all read them and watched the Netflix production. The title of an article on the Baztan Camino that I wrote and will be published next month is The Camino Baztan: Misty, Mystical and Magical. And it was all three.

I walked the Baztan last week, starting in Sare and going through Zugarramurdi to Urdax. Stayed in the monastery and found it clean and welcoming. Visited the Urdax caves which are highly recommended though you must book a guided tour in advance. Also stayed in the great albergues at Amaiur, Berroeta and Olargue. The ruins of the castle at Amaiur also not to be missed, its destruction marked the end of independant Navarre. Did not see another walker in 5 days until the outskirts of Pamplona though met one cyclist returning from Santiago. Followed the riverside path from Trinidad de Arre into Pamplona instead of the official route.

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island

Most read last week in this forum

Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
As I walked today, I came across a Wild Boar that had been, shot, gutted and hind quarters removed. It seemed a shame it was left there right on the Camino as I am sure it would disturb some...
Hi, this might be a strange question but just wandering how much cash should you bring with you on the Camino?? Thanks
Hi all, probably a question with many different answers, but here goes. I've done several Caminos, but always ones that feature a cafe every now and then ( think Frances, Portuguese, Ingles etc)...
I much prefer ordering agua del grifo (tap water) both to save money and plastic, and everything else that goes into the production and delivery of bottled water. The last couple of nights in...
Fellow pilgrims. As an avid walker of various Caminos, I am always fascinated in the experiences of other pilgrims/tourists, and how their planning and experience on pilgrimage was shaped. As an...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back