• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for a disabled person

mandarina

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2024
Hi all! I am planning to do a camino in October this year with my parents, but my father is disabled so I came here for advice. He has an artificial leg so he can walk but not very much in day (he thinks 3-4 km per day would be a realistic estimation). I already saw recommendations here for camino from Tui or Sarria so we are discussing about those 2 routes.

My main question is if there is someone here with the same condition as him, and if yes what would that person recommend? Is there maybe a way to rent a wheelchair so we can push my father when he can't walk anymore?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you all in a advance,

Monika

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all! I am planning to do a camino in October this year with my parents, but my father is disabled so I came here for advice. He has an artificial leg so he can walk but not very much in day (he thinks 3-4 km per day would be a realistic estimation). I already saw recommendations here for camino from Tui or Sarria so we are discussing about those 2 routes.

My main question is if there is someone here with the same condition as him, and if yes what would that person recommend? Is there maybe a way to rent a wheelchair so we can push my father when he can't walk anymore?

Monika
You are Pilgrims, ask for help and you will find it.
Bars and restaurants will have the number of the local taxis.
The albergue at Ribadiso da Baixo has a room for people with different abilities. With a shower etc.. My wife and I will be your host October 15-30.
Take your time, stop, rest and do what you can without injury. Onward!

I met a couple who walked the camino together. The man could not walk very far. They would wake up in the campervan, walk for a few kilometers together, have a lovely picnic breakfast outdoors. Then the woman walked on and the man returned to the campervan, driving to the location that his partner would end up in. They had brilliant stories to tell! I don’t know if your father can drive, but something like this might be an option.

Monika
Each person is different, and as an able-bodied person, I would not presume to offer advice for your father.
I would, however, like to share one of the most impressive and inspiring sights I came across during my walk earlier this year.
Near the Sarria stage in El Frances, I noticed that one of then pilgrims was a one-legged man, walking with some effort with crutches. He was walking, as far as I could tell, by himself.

The part of the trail where I first noticed him was fairly rough, and it was raining.
I saw him a few times after that. The weather was wet, cold and miserable, and the trail was very slippery at points, and yet he most impressively kept on going.
I last saw him near the entrance to Santiago. I didn’t see him in Santiago, but I have no doubt that he made it.

I’m not saying that this man’s feat is for everyone. But it reminded me that there’s very little that people can’t do when they set their mind and heart to it.
I’m sure you and your father will find a way.
Good luck, and Buen Camino.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

Would packing a tick remover be advisable on my next year's Camino del Norte.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back