• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Retreat House in Santiago

JenManglos

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino: June 2024
Hi Folks,

I'm guiding a group on pilgrimage next summer and am on the hunt for either a retreat house or a house for rent in/near Santiago for us to conclude our time together and debrief the experience. I've stayed at Via Lucis before and loved it, although there weren't many group meeting spaces available. I've never been able to get rooms at the monastery right by the Cathedral - it always books up quite quickly. We'll be a group of 7-8 female pastors and seeking to have some time to explore Santiago, but also time to debrief our experience. I'm potentially open to being closer to the coast, but the combination of coordinating transportation, food, etc. at a more remote location is more than I'll want to navigate after leading the group.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Jen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Could you just pick any hostel and make bookings in advance, and then use Pilgrim House or any restaurant for you debrief sessions?
Thanks so much for the recommendation Rachel. We'll be engaging in some silent prayer, meditations, and sharing over a few hours, so a restaurant space is hard for that. I do love Pilgrim House, but they aren't able to book spaces for groups in that regard either.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe go sit at the back side of Alameda Park. Some benches, lovely lawn. Very beautiful and very quiet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You could also try PR Hospedería Vía Lucas. It is a converted convent about a 2 km walk through the University grounds to the Cathedral. I have stayed there quite a few times and loved it. The rooms are small and have their own bathroom. Breakfast is available. Many groups book it for conferences or meetings so I suspect that they have rooms that you can use.

Last edited:
How about renting a small apartment (check AirBnB) near the Cathedral? Maybe not all could stay there, but that could be your meeting area.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Folks,

I'm guiding a group on pilgrimage next summer and am on the hunt for either a retreat house or a house for rent in/near Santiago for us to conclude our time together and debrief the experience. I've stayed at Via Lucis before and loved it, although there weren't many group meeting spaces available. I've never been able to get rooms at the monastery right by the Cathedral - it always books up quite quickly. We'll be a group of 7-8 female pastors and seeking to have some time to explore Santiago, but also time to debrief our experience. I'm potentially open to being closer to the coast, but the combination of coordinating transportation, food, etc. at a more remote location is more than I'll want to navigate after leading the group.

Jen
Hi Jen. Katherine from Camino Companions here. While we don't have a retreat house in Santiago, we do offer debrief sessions for pilgrims each day at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago. If you would like to know more please contact us at caminocompansions@gmail.com.
The only place which comes to mind which might suit your requirements is The Little Fox House which is 8 kms from Muxia. You will find it on Facebook. Blessings, Katherine

Hi Jen. Katherine from Camino Companions here. While we don't have a retreat house in Santiago, we do offer debrief sessions for pilgrims each day at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago. If you would like to know more please contact us at caminocompansions@gmail.com.
The only place which comes to mind which might suit your requirements is The Little Fox House which is 8 kms from Muxia. You will find it on Facebook. Blessings, Katherine
Hi Katherine,

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I got to visit and meet some of the team serving with Camino Companions last October and love this ministry.

Peace,
Jen

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
The Casa Anglicana has just the thing for you. A small hotel, meeting space, regular worship, all of it intended to serve those doing a Christian pilgrimage to Santiago. Anglican Pilgrim Centre is a newish outreach of the Episcopal Church. Find them at casaanglicana@gmail.com, or 34 662 566 441.

Hi Folks,

Jen
You could try the Anglican Pilgrim Centre in Santiago, which is close to the centre and ideal for small groups.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be arriving in Santiago about October 7 after walking the Portugues Coastal and am finding many of the popular accommodations sold out. Is there some events in the city beyond the usual? I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.