Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning shorter walks from SJPP to Pamplona - places to stay off stage

Maxsmom

Planning first Camino in 2025
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2020)
Hello all, I'm planing a 10-14 day walk from SJPP to .. as far as I get. Will be walking a slower pace (about 8 miles) and plan to cross from SJPP to Roncevalles in 2 days. Once leaving Roncevalles heading for Pamplona and beyond, any recommendations for where to stop at smaller towns along the way? thanks for advice, this forum is great!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hotel Akerreta just after Larrasoaña can be fun. I've stayed there twice and so did Martin Sheen in The Way. Hostal Haizea is nice too, in Espinal, and allows you to enjoy another night up in the hills. Obviously, Zubiri is where most pilgrims stop.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We stayed in Lintzoain after Roncesvalles at Posada el Camino. Fabulous dinner, breakfast and hosts, with single beds and wonderful common rooms.
Then Zabaldika after Zubiri. This is a donativo, so give generously. Fantasic communal dinner and the church next door is unique.
After Pamplona, stayed in Uterga, then in Maneru at El Cantero with a fun communal dinner, then Estella at Hosteria de Curtidores, one of my favorite albergues with a great breakfast buffet.

I twice stayed at La Posada Nueva, a casa rural in Viscarretta. The hostess is lovely. She serves a delicious communal dinner and great breakfast. The rooms are clean and comfortable. She’ll do your laundry. Highly recommend.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hello all, I'm planing a 10-14 day walk from SJPP to .. as far as I get. Will be walking a slower pace (about 8 miles) and plan to cross from SJPP to Roncevalles in 2 days. Once leaving Roncevalles heading for Pamplona and beyond, any recommendations for where to stop at smaller towns along the way? thanks for advice, this forum is great!
I am in Ponte la Reina now. My favorite sofar has been the donativo in Zabaldika, about 8 km before Pamplona. I would also recommend Borda instead of Orisson.

Thanks MarijkeB for your feedback- really appreciate all of this info from you and others.

Re Roncevalles, is there only the big albergue to stay in? or are there other recommended options.

thanks,

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
A couple of days after Pamplona, I stopped in Villatuerta and stayed at Etxeurdina, a lovely albergue with a welcoming hospitalera. I booked directly with them on their website. It was one of my favorites on the whole CF.

Thanks MarijkeB for your feedback- really appreciate all of this info from you and others.

Re Roncevalles, is there only the big albergue to stay in? or are there other recommended options.

thanks,
There are other accommodations; see https://www.gronze.com/etapa/roncesvalles-orreaga/zubiri I wouldn’t recommend any of them but that’s because I don’t make recommendations. Oh, except do drink red wine with fish if only to confuse your dining companions. In Navarre you’ll get taken for a native 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love your approach. I spend Monday night (9) in SJPdp and begin walking Tuesday. As I moved this summer, I failed to train as much as I would have liked so shorter walks will work for me. I certainly got good exercise in all the work related to my move but not Camino training! Landscaping has left me feeling exhausted and unbalanced in my body but I will heal physically and emotionally as the Camino gives what we need! My last was 2019. I will walk for about 14 days as well and move on to Barcelona to enjoy the culture there. Buen Camino - will look forward to
lodging recommendations. 🙋🏻‍♀️🎒🇨🇦Nancy Lee

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Yes, I well qualify for that. Last October we also stayed at the muni albergue in Pamplona and at Roncesvalles. But we joined the Camino Frances at Obanos after walking the Chemin d'Arles from Pau and then the Aragones to Eunate to Obanos. We then walked the Camino Frances in reverse to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Hey, it was uphill, raining, I'm 80 and have A-fib. We stayed at Casa Raichu in Obanos because the muni albergue was closed for the season. What a find! Great hospitality and food by a couple from Argentina -- who have walked the Camino. Actually, I will be staying there again in two weeks to begin walking west from that Alto de Perdon. Been there, done that twice. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back