• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The NEW Camino Vello

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
Here is a new report of a just documented NEW Camino route. See the article in today's (28 June 2024) El Voz de Galicia (Santiago):

Approval may not come until 2025. Unfortunately, this will open yet another, barely 100 km route for "short-walkers."

Then again, it might take some pressure off the Sarria to Santiago stretch on the Camino Frances. Antyhing that helps spread the pressure on the infrastructure would be a step in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is a new report of a just documented NEW Camino route. See the article in today's (28 June 2024) El Voz de Galicia (Santiago):

Thanks, Tom, but it’s behind a paywall. Since you’ve read it, you must be a subscriber and I wonder if there’s any way for subscribers to “gift” a certain number of articles to non-subscribers. I know the New York Times and the Washington Post have that option, but maybe it’s not a widespread feature for regional papers.

The article says that the Camiño Vello
has two variants one from A Coruña ( "almost" 100 kms and four stages) and other from Betanzos ( 101 kms and five stages) and both join in a point between the villages of Rodís and Bardaos. It enters Santiago at the parish of A Peregrina. It is not official by the Xunta yet. The article also says that this Camino "has no difficulty".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, Tom, but it’s behind a paywall. Since you’ve read it, you must be a subscriber and I wonder if there’s any way for subscribers to “gift” a certain number of articles to non-subscribers. I know the New York Times and the Washington Post have that option, but maybe it’s not a widespread feature for regional papers.
I copied and converted the article to a .pdf file. I have attached it here.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Attachments

• The Camino de Santiago adds a new route based on cartography from 200 years ago.pdf
    401.6 KB · Views: 66
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I tried a search online for a map and only found this camino from Ferrol to San Andrés de Teixido, which is something different.

But what especially piqued my interest on that website were links to a bunch of other routes. So...rabbithole warning!

I copied and converted the article to a .pdf file. I have attached it here.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Interesting news. Another Camino route is always a good thing.

In the PDF, it mentions the Mar de Arousa and Ulla Route

Which I had never heard of. I couldn't find much information on this, but it seems like it's a combination sailing and walking route? And the route is posited the route to be that the boat carrying the remains of Saint James followed inland?

This is the best webpage I found:

I did not drill down on many links. If the route is not authorized for issuing Compostelas, I tend not to be too interested. It's not that I don't care. More like, as a Pilgrim Office volunteer, I need to be aware of some routes, but not others - yet.

Thanks for the information.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here is a response from La Voz de Galicia.
Interesting that there is pushback.

When I was walking the Camino, and thinking about medieval pilgrims, I was considering how much information I had.

I suspect 300 or 800 years ago, a pilgrim likely didn't have a map. Likely didn't have even know the name of the next small town coming up until they were quite near it. And they certainly didn't have route markers telling them which path to stay on.
I speculate that medieval era Pilgrims walked a lot of different paths near what we consider the "traditional Caminos."

No real knowledge here, but without a map, probably historic pilgrims would just kind of head in the general direction along routes that looked good. I bet they walked down all these routes at one time or another.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
In Galicia and surrounding close regions, Peregrinos walked out of their homes to Santiago. Likely following whatever available routes they had or knew, with a consideration for safety, lodging, etc… So it’s likely anytime you are in Galicia if you throw a rock in any direction some Peregrina likely walked it at sometime in the life of Los Camiños por Galicia. Si o no?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Here is a new report of a just documented NEW Camino route. See the article in today's (28 June 2024) El Voz de Galicia (Santiago)...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back