Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting our Camino Frances 29 September 2024

Amc

Time of past OR future Camino
Doing in September
My daughter and I were going to start from SJDP in mid September but are now looking at starting late September but just wondered if this is a bad idea and if we should stick with our earlier plan? If we are finishing in early November I am starting to think it might be getting fairly cold and possibly wet by then or is the 10 days difference not going to matter much?
Thankyou.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You are right in that 10 days may not make a difference - unless it rains for those 10 days. But nobody can tell you that.

I started September 25th last year, and we had rain the last week or so, whilst the first few weeks were almost too hot. If it was me I would go end of September as I prefer it quieter, but I also don't mind some rain.

September is one of the busiest months, and the later in the month you start the less busy it will generally be.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In my opinion it’s worth the possible increase in wet weather - although that is by no means certain - to avoid the September crowds.

I have done that Frances from SJPP starting late Sept twice and about to head out from SJPP again in late Sept this year. The first time we had very little rain, maybe 2 heavy days, and it was pretty mild the whole way. The second time we had strong rain and winds setting out from SJPP with a number of rainy days through Burgos, was hot through the Meseta, and we had many heavy rainy days after Astorga. All that to say you never know what the weather will be but both were amazing.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
My daughter and I were going to start from SJDP in mid September but are now looking at starting late September but just wondered if this is a bad idea and if we should stick with our earlier plan? If we are finishing in early November I am starting to think it might be getting fairly cold and possibly wet by then or is the 10 days difference not going to matter much?
Thankyou.
I would walk later but that is just me. As @Tincatinker said weather is weather!! You are so blessed to be walking yith your daughter. Enjoy every moment. I would be on cloud 9 if one of my girls walked with me. Buen Camino Dad!!

It might be quite hot earlier in September so it would depend on whether you'd like to avoid hot weather (and crowds) or cold weather. My husband and I did a Camino several years ago starting in Pamplona late September and ending in Finisterre in early November. We were lucky with the weather and it never got cold even in November. Really perfect weather. Of course, that can vary year to year.

Hmm. Weather is weather. Ultimately unpredictable. +/- 10 days won’t change it by much. Even the decrease in available daylight is scarcely noticeable. Just pack for what might come. Layerable clothing and effective waterproofs
Agree with this. I walked the Frances leaving St Jean in mid September - the weather is variable and a week or two shift in either direction is not meaningful. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thankyou.
I walked Camino Francis starting September 26th in 2012 from SJPP, and it worked out beautifully. I did notice a few albergues were closed in the second half of October, but there were still plenty open and lots of people walking. Some rain in Galicia, but otherwise weather was lovely. I particularly remember walking through a chestnut forest near a small village in October and it seemed half the village was out picking chestnuts. Very charming. I finished the walk by the end of October- I was younger then! However, I don't know whether COVID reduced the number of hikers walking overall, and if so, how that would impact your experience.

September is a great time of year to be walking... don't worry about the weather...nowt you can do to change it. Chances are that the end of September will be a fair bit quieter than the start and as I have walked the start 3 times I agree that it can be busy, but only in certain places. St Jean to Pamplona and after Sarria

Will your daughter be ok with crowds .. or no crowds ... chance of more rain or less ... ?

I have gone twice in late September and enjoyed it. The only issue I ran into was that some albergues closed the last weekend of October(not the end of October, but the last weekend). This put pressure on the ones that did stay open and they filled up. On one day we ended up walking 45k! Four of us Camino acquaintances ended up in the last bedroom available for miles. In hindsight I wonder why we didn’t just phone around and take a taxi but we were immersed in our daily routine which did not include taxis. It was exhausting but has become a fond memory.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thankyou for all the reassurance and I will now keep in mind the possibility of albergues closing on the weekend before the end of October. Gosh, 45 kms was a huge day of walking and definitely one to remember!

I am currently planning my first Camino which I’m starting in September 2024 too. I am shocked at how much accommodation is fully booked in the first stage of my walk, which is forcing my hand to push back my start date to the end of September. This is not something I originally wanted to do but maybe it will work out well in terms of less crowds and less heat. I’m a little worried about reduced accommodation options after the end of October, but I guess I’ll just have to see how it goes. I was hoping for an easy going, take-it-as-it-comes journey, but it seems like the Camino is too busy these days and everyone is booking ahead. It’s taken the spontaneity out of it a bit for me.

I am currently planning my first Camino which I’m starting in September 2024 too. I am shocked at how much accommodation is fully booked in the first stage of my walk,
Where are you looking for accommodations? If it's on booking.com or other booking sites, you should know that they don't have access to all the rooms/beds at the properties that list with them. Check Gronze.com for contact information to book directly.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

I can’t believe I’m just starting my 4th week on the Camino! Frómista to Carrión de los Condes, 12.5 miles, 20.11 Km. A rather uneventful day, which I don’t mind after yesterday’s intense day...
Hello all, I'm planing a 10-14 day walk from SJPP to .. as far as I get. Will be walking a slower pace (about 8 miles) and plan to cross from SJPP to Roncevalles in 2 days. Once leaving...
Hi, I’ve walked four Caminos in the past and hope to do another in June next year, though my arthritis might have another opinion… We all walk our own Camino our own way… I’ve still got the...
It's almost there thankfully the big walk begins tomorrow, raining all day according to the forecast. Trying to get a few hours sleep tonight and a good breakfast in the morning. I've done all my...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back