• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes ... Large toe box

JeffP

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2023 > April-May 2024
I am searching for a new trail shoe this year. I have walked the Frances for two years in Hoka Speed Goat 5s. The toe box is too narrow for my foot, and I get blisters on my pinky toes. My shoe size is 14, and I usually purchase a 15 for the Camino. This year, I am planning on starting in Le Puy and walking to Finisterre. Do you have any suggestions?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I'm another Altra (Lone Peak) convert. LOVE the wide toe box.
But you do need to take time to get used to the zero drop. I was pre-warned, so eased into it gradually and have been wearing them for two years now - absolutely love them. My older shoes are worn practically daily, there's always a new pair in the cupboard for the next Camino. I loved the sixes, disliked the sevens ( don't know what had changed but something did) but was fortunate to find additional sixes online. The eights are every bit as good if not better than the sixes were.
Not a great fan of their inserts, but as I wear orthotics it's not really an issue. A friend of mine wears aftermarket inserts.
We both have the originals in our packs to wear around town in the afternoon.

But as always with shoes this is very individual of course, and purely my personal opinion.

My partner has feet with a wide sole and a valgus thumb, and recently in a sports shop they suggested Topo shoes to her, a brand I did not know about. This shoe has literally changed her life. She walks a lot (10-20 km a day) and before it was a problem, also because she hates waste and buying 150 euro shoes seemed like a capital crime 😆 . I literally forced her and it changed her life.

However, if I can give you some REAL advice (and if you haven't done so yet...), rather than taking... advice from me or others you should go to a reliable runner's sports shop and get some expert advice. That was essential for me too and changed my life when I started running seriously years ago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Topos are very comfortable, but the soles totally wore out before the end of my camino (SJPP-->Finisterre-->Muxia). I wore them until the end, but the tread was smooth by Sarria.

That's right, Topo apparently do not last very long also in my wife's experience. However, did you use the trial model with "Vibram" sole or the running model?

However, I want to add how to recognise a ‘good’ seller of hiking or running shoes. Not easy, but this is my experience.

I bought my first running shoes in London. Super-luxury shop. A slender, athletic salesman like ‘I just ran the Boston marathon in less than 3 hours’.

Result: A DISASTER. Soles too thin and unsuitable for my less than graceful weight and a lumbar back pain that lasted me several months.

So I turned to an Italian running forum where I had some friends. They told me to go to a shop for runners near San Giovanni in Rome, my town.

I got there and there was a rather old and haggard guy standing at the door, with a belly and a cigarette in his mouth. Not very convinced, I asked him if he could recommend me some good running shoes (I don't exactly have a champion's physique, especially without a deforming mirror... in the right direction). He looked at me from head to toe with a slightly disgusted air, looked in another direction, turned around and went to get a box. Now it is not possible to imitate the typical Roman slang but without taking the cigarette out of his mouth he said to me ‘try these. Go for a walk and come back'. I was less and less convinced and beginning to think I got in the wrong shop, but anyway I wore them and went for a walk. I ran along the Aurelian Walls and they actually looked pretty good, but I am not very sensitive so I came back and shyly asked to try some more... who knows... just to be sure.

The fat guy told me ‘No, no. These are good for you.' Intimidated by Big Belly, I was a bit surprised by the harsh reply, but he said, ‘Look: I'll write the date and my signature on the box and I'll tell you that if they don't suit you, you can come back within 15 days and I'll give you your money back, understood?"

He really did it. But I never returned. And I've never changed running shoes model since then!!!

Even here where I live now I found through friends a similar guy who found me perfect trail shoes.

Moral of the story (at least in my experience): the less athletic they are, the more expert seller they are!

Last edited:
Not even all Hokas have the same toe box, even within the same model. I used Hoka Kaha boots until they wore out, then switched to Hoka Challengers. Both in wide.

But the best advice I can give is go get re- fitted, preferably by an older overweight employee ( no, seriously, they get it), and get them from a store with a return policy. 😉

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
I am searching for a new trail shoe this year. I have walked the Frances for two years in Hoka Speed Goat 5s. The toe box is too narrow for my foot, and I get blisters on my pinky toes. My shoe size is 14, and I usually purchase a 15 for the Camino. This year, I am planning on starting in Le Puy and walking to Finisterre. Do you have any suggestions?
Altras. I highly recommend the Altra Olympus for the best cushioning. And make sure you allow a thumb’s width of room in front of your longest toe. And add good arch supports as Altras are flat inside.

Agree with everyone above that Topos are great, so long as you are willing to replace them more frequently than you might intend do. (My issue wasn't the soles, however -- it was the inside lining of the shoe that became frayed and worn down).

I've just started wearing On trail runners. They aren't as wide toe-box as Topos but definitely wider than Hokas and so far have given my feet room to breath after two 13 mile walks. They may be my keepers going forward.

Last edited:
I have narrow feet but tried the Altra and Topo (I forget the models) just to see if my feet preferred the wide box and zero drop.

I liked the wide box more than the zero drop but was willing to train in them for a long while before decision time. But the Altra seemed like zero cushion and as a bigger guy I didn't think I wanted to spend 500 miles pounding into those thin bottoms.

The Topo was even roomier and they felt pretty good cushion-wise, but I realized I had forgotten to size up in preparation and when I got a pair of Speedgoats I quickly settled into those instead of getting another pair of Topos.

But recently the Topo Ultraventure has caught my eye. I haven't purchased them, but it has a wide toe box, and, unlike some of their other models, isn't zero drop but rather has the same 5mm drop as the Speedgoats. And they come in the 15s you are looking for.

Personally, for Le Puy to the ocean, I would plan on two pairs regardless of which brand and model you end up with. Or perhaps carry two different brands/models to relieve the feet from the monotony of the same pressure points each day for two plus months.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Note that running shops only recommend the shoes they have in stock. They're out to make money. Nothing wrong with that, but a shop that doesn't stock brand X is not going to recommend them.

I have narrow feet but tried the Altra and Topo (I forget the models) just to see if my feet preferred the wide box and zero drop.

I liked the wide box more than the zero drop but was willing to train in them for a long while before decision time. But the Altra seemed like zero cushion and as a bigger guy I didn't think I wanted to spend 500 miles pounding into those thin bottoms.

The Topo was even roomier and they felt pretty good cushion-wise, but I realized I had forgotten to size up in preparation and when I got a pair of Speedgoats I quickly settled into those instead of getting another pair of Topos.

But recently the Topo Ultraventure has caught my eye. I haven't purchased them, but it has a wide toe box, and, unlike some of their other models, isn't zero drop but rather has the same 5mm drop as the Speedgoats. And they come in the 15s you are looking for.

Personally, for Le Puy to the ocean, I would plan on two pairs regardless of which brand and model you end up with. Or perhaps carry two different brands/models to relieve the feet from the monotony of the same pressure points each day for two plus months.
No cushion in Altras. You must not have tried the Altra Olympus!

I had great trouble getting a pair of running shoes to fit my wide feet. I used to wear 4E mens New balance but now they are too narrow. I am female .Finally, I have a pair to fit. Asics GT 2000 4E. I love them. I need cushioning and arch support. I lost a toenail on last year's CF.

Keens.

And a related question: anyone out there need a very wide toe box as well as a roomy forefoot height-wise? I hopefully tried on the Altras and hokas but they were too snug on top of metatarsal and big toe tarsal-metatarsal joint (old injury, long story - suffice it to say I have one foot that is getting less and less normally-shaped with age as the consequence of old injury.

I'm another Altra (Lone Peak) convert. LOVE the wide toe box.
But you do need to take time to get used to the zero drop. I was pre-warned, so eased into it gradually and have been wearing them for two years now - absolutely love them. My older shoes are worn practically daily, there's always a new pair in the cupboard for the next Camino. I loved the sixes, disliked the sevens ( don't know what had changed but something did) but was fortunate to find additional sixes online. The eights are every bit as good if not better than the sixes were.
Not a great fan of their inserts, but as I wear orthotics it's not really an issue. A friend of mine wears aftermarket inserts.
We both have the originals in our packs to wear around town in the afternoon.

But as always with shoes this is very individual of course, and purely my personal opinion.
I have suffered from tendinitis in the past. Zero drop scares me.

I have suffered from tendinitis in the past. Zero drop scares me.
I did say that you need to get used to the shoes before wearing them long distance. Nor, would I point out, am I a medical professional.

According to my podiatrist the zero drop shoes will not cause tendonitis but they won't help you heal if you are currently suffering. As I understand it tendonitis is typically triggered by injury or strain/overuse - basically too much exercise. Which is why training and stretching plays such a crucial role for those of us who wish to walk Camino. Especially as we get older because our tendons can become less elastic.

On the other hand, apparently wearing zero-drop shoes might help prevent plantar fasciitis by strengthening your foot muscles. (Why I went to my podiatrist in the first place).

But again it's a matter of getting used to them first. I started out by wearing them around the house, then on my normal evening walk (which is anything from two to five k's typically), after a few weeks I started light training with them. I've had zero issues, but as always - footwear is very individual.

Any Meindl “Comfort Fit” shoe has a wide toe box. In on my third or fourth pair of Rapide GTX with two full CFs & JMT under my belt with no issues.

That's right, Topo apparently do not last very long also in my wife's experience. However, did you use the trial model with "Vibram" sole or the running model?

However, I want to add how to recognise a ‘good’ seller of hiking or running shoes. Not easy, but this is my experience.

I bought my first running shoes in London. Super-luxury shop. A slender, athletic salesman like ‘I just ran the Boston marathon in less than 3 hours’.

Result: A DISASTER. Soles too thin and unsuitable for my less than graceful weight and a lumbar back pain that lasted me several months.

So I turned to an Italian running forum where I had some friends. They told me to go to a shop for runners near San Giovanni in Rome, my town.

I got there and there was a rather old and haggard guy standing at the door, with a belly and a cigarette in his mouth. Not very convinced, I asked him if he could recommend me some good running shoes (I don't exactly have a champion's physique, especially without a deforming mirror... in the right direction). He looked at me from head to toe with a slightly disgusted air, looked in another direction, turned around and went to get a box. Now it is not possible to imitate the typical Roman slang but without taking the cigarette out of his mouth he said to me ‘try these. Go for a walk and come back'. I was less and less convinced and beginning to think I got in the wrong shop, but anyway I wore them and went for a walk. I ran along the Aurelian Walls and they actually looked pretty good, but I am not very sensitive so I came back and shyly asked to try some more... who knows... just to be sure.

The fat guy told me ‘No, no. These are good for you.' Intimidated by Big Belly, I was a bit surprised by the harsh reply, but he said, ‘Look: I'll write the date and my signature on the box and I'll tell you that if they don't suit you, you can come back within 15 days and I'll give you your money back, understood?"

He really did it. But I never returned. And I've never changed running shoes model since then!!!

Even here where I live now I found through friends a similar guy who found me perfect trail shoes.

Moral of the story (at least in my experience): the less athletic they are, the more expert seller they are!
What brand was the shoe that you ended up getting?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, even for trail runners/ boots, those Meindls are *expensive*.

Just to repeat...;)

Get refitted.

Have a return policy.

Buen next Camino. 😁

Topos…. very wide toe box. I wear the boots, but the trail shoes are also wide.

advice from me or others you should go to a reliable runner's sports shop and get some expert advice.
Topos are very comfortable, but the soles totally wore out before the end of my camino (SJPP-->Finisterre-->Muxia)
That's right, Topo apparently do not last very long also in my wife's experience.
Each person’s foot and experience is very unique.
I swore by Saucony Peregrine 4mm drop, until they “improved” them to high heeled sneakers. These had a limited life span on asphalt of 6-8 weeks @ 10-19 km/day.
I switched to Topo Terraventure 3 mm drop, wide toe box. At same km/d they have been durable, lasting 3.5-4 months on pavement.
Each shoe company has varying hiking shoes. Seems when you find your perfect fit, they go ahead and spoil it all by “improving” it.
Good luck 🍀 to all.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
For years I've been looking for extra wide, light, shoes that don't wear out or fall apart before 800km, and am very interested in what you find. So far my criteria are light, extra wide (room), trail runners with vibram type soles.

I found the Hoka Speed Goat just a little too snug. The Hoka cushion feels nice but, for me, the Brooks Ghost Max feel like a more natural gate.

I was put off by the zero drop in the Altra, but will give them another try because, after 3-4 pair of Hokas, my wife wife is now using Altra Olympus 5, and loves them.

While I continue the search, I use extra wide New Balance with custom insoles and carefully placed Engo blister patches.

If you want to stick with Hoka, I’ve used the Stinson trail runners for each of my Caminos. They have a wide toe box and are super cushy. Like you, I size up by one (a 13 for my 12 feet). These shoes get beat up, but they’ve lasted from SJPdP to Finisterre for me.

Since 2013, I have only worn Keen Targhee boots. They are also available as shoes. The toe box is HUGE! One of the primary reasons I chose this model was the overly generous toe box. I wear two pair of socks (wicking liner, plus thick wool outer sock). I six completed Caminos, I have never had a blister.

I see you live in the US. Try to get to an REI store and have someone fit your boots, wearing the actual socks you plan to wear on Camino. It also helps to fit shoes / boots at the end of the day, giving your feet time to expand.

My boots are 1 1/2 sizes larger than my normal "street shoe" size. I add 1/2 size for two pair of socks, 1/2 size for end of day swelling, and 1/2 size for splaying or foot spread after waling a month or more with a full rucksack. Finally, the model I chose is listed as running 1/2 size SMALL by the manufacturer.

Thus, my size 11 (US) feet needed a (labelled) size 13 (US) hiking boot. The boots are actually a 12 1/2. This allows the three `1/2 size 'up sizing' I did to ensure comfort. It also compensates for the manufacturer's warning that he boots run small.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The two mainstays in this category (as trail shoes - not boots) are Altra and Topo Athletic. They both also fit into the category of "minimum or zero drop" (the difference between the height of the heel vs the toe). Many through hikers on the AT and PCT use Altras. I've used them and thought they were ok, however I prefer the Topo Athletics. Topos are a little less boxy up in the toe area (but still much more room than Hokas which I also use) and their overall design and aesthetic is more appealing to me. At the end of the day, shoes are very much a preference, so go to a REI and try a bunch on. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Another Altra Lone Peak convert, took me 0 time to love the zero drop.
They also do Olympus, still has a wide toe bosmx, bit smaller than LPs, but this has a Vibram sole.
Give them a try!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

The first step is to take inventory of your belongings. You may already have some of these items at home. Remember these helpful tips to avoid common pains. Waterproof: Waterproof Shoes...
Hi all! Leaving shortly for the frances from SJPP and i would like to check if im doing well packing wise: Clothing incl what i will wear, so total: 1 short sleeve sports T 1 2nd skin layer...
Grateful if anyone can recommend a good phone app which allow us to download the Camino Frances maps and access them offline.
I am searching for a new trail shoe this year. I have walked the Frances for two years in Hoka Speed Goat 5s. The toe box is too narrow for my foot, and I get blisters on my pinky toes. My shoe...
Macabi Skirt: Red, Medium, Regular. $30+postage. US only. VERY gently used. I'm not good with camera; see website for description. No snags or loose threads. Elastic waistband, waist cord...
Hi everyone, I'm planing to do the Camino from October 31st - November 10th. Here's my packing list that I have put together. Backpack 36 - 40 Liter with Cover Trail Shoes (2 pairs) was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.