• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes ... Large toe box

JeffP

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2023 > April-May 2024
I am searching for a new trail shoe this year. I have walked the Frances for two years in Hoka Speed Goat 5s. The toe box is too narrow for my foot, and I get blisters on my pinky toes. My shoe size is 14, and I usually purchase a 15 for the Camino. This year, I am planning on starting in Le Puy and walking to Finisterre. Do you have any suggestions?

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
You could take look at the Topo Athletic trail runners. They have a wide toe box, they are well cushioned and are quite comfortable.

Help keep the Camino clean. Join us in 2025 for the Camino Cleanup Program & Retreat
Altra's have a wide toe box. But be aware they are zero drop - there is no heel raise, which can cause injury if your legs don't like them.

I'm another Altra (Lone Peak) convert. LOVE the wide toe box.
But you do need to take time to get used to the zero drop. I was pre-warned, so eased into it gradually and have been wearing them for two years now - absolutely love them. My older shoes are worn practically daily, there's always a new pair in the cupboard for the next Camino. I loved the sixes, disliked the sevens ( don't know what had changed but something did) but was fortunate to find additional sixes online. The eights are every bit as good if not better than the sixes were.
Not a great fan of their inserts, but as I wear orthotics it's not really an issue. A friend of mine wears aftermarket inserts.
We both have the originals in our packs to wear around town in the afternoon.

But as always with shoes this is very individual of course, and purely my personal opinion.

My partner has feet with a wide sole and a valgus thumb, and recently in a sports shop they suggested Topo shoes to her, a brand I did not know about. This shoe has literally changed her life. She walks a lot (10-20 km a day) and before it was a problem, also because she hates waste and buying 150 euro shoes seemed like a capital crime 😆 . I literally forced her and it changed her life.

However, if I can give you some REAL advice (and if you haven't done so yet...), rather than taking... advice from me or others you should go to a reliable runner's sports shop and get some expert advice. That was essential for me too and changed my life when I started running seriously years ago.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Topos are very comfortable, but the soles totally wore out before the end of my camino (SJPP-->Finisterre-->Muxia). I wore them until the end, but the tread was smooth by Sarria.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

After my first Camino, I made several adjustments to my packing list for this year in the hope of being more efficient. Here’s a breakdown of what I changed and why: Lighting: Last time, I didn't...
The first step is to take inventory of your belongings. You may already have some of these items at home. Remember these helpful tips to avoid common pains. Waterproof: Waterproof Shoes...
Hi all! Leaving shortly for the frances from SJPP and i would like to check if im doing well packing wise: Clothing incl what i will wear, so total: 1 short sleeve sports T 1 2nd skin layer...
Grateful if anyone can recommend a good phone app which allow us to download the Camino Frances maps and access them offline.
Hi All! I’m on the Camino right now and keep seeing amazing Camino cycling jerseys. Does anyone know where in Spain or Santiago I could find them? I’m currently in Portomarin, enroute to Santiago...
Macabi Skirt: Red, Medium, Regular. $30+postage. US only. VERY gently used. I'm not good with camera; see website for description. No snags or loose threads. Elastic waistband, waist cord...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.