• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Security Warning On Via de Plata

Charles Chamberlain

2016 Primitivo/Fin/Muxia; 201 CP Coastal/Hospitale
Time of past OR future Camino
Finish Camino Frances from Pamplona in 2023
Wisepilgrim has a PERSONAL SAFETY warning on the first stage of the VLDP leaving Seville, in particular the River Route to Santiponce. Has anyone had any issues on this route?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wisepilgrim has a PERSONAL SAFETY warning on the first stage of the VLDP leaving Seville, in particular the River Route to Santiponce. Has anyone had any issues on this route?
I walked this route about a month ago and had no problem, none of the other pilgrims didn't mention anything at all

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ve asked Wise Pilgrim for his help on this, but based on @MikeJS’ comment, I’m betting it relates to the guys who were ultimately arrested in 2013. I don’t think there have been recent incidents, but I could be wrong.

See this thread.
I haven’t done the VDLP but I have walked the first stage (totally forgotten about it) when I was in Sevilla for a birthday event last year. No problems at all! It was during the festival and whilst leaving Sevilla at around 6am and crossing the first bridge, I walked by a van selling booze and a few revellers tried to get me to share a few drinks but that was my only contact with anyone. I didn’t have a drink strictly adhering to the old British tradition that 6am drinking is saved ( and is almost compulsory) for airports. Certainly no issue!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I read the warning on the app last year and as it was dark when I left Seville I avoided the river route. Later I met someone who had walked it with no problems.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone for your valuable comments. All much appreciated.

We will now feel safe and really looking forward to the VLDP.

Charles

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments. All much appreciated.

We will now feel safe and really looking forward to the VLDP.

Charles
Be prepared for some really huge dogs, hogs and at times I was surrounded by big flocks of sheep. Was like a ballet dancer so I wouldn't get stepped on. Don't forget to close the gates behind you! There are farmers that allow us to walk through their land. It is really important that we close gates behind us. For those of us who have walked before we should be giving this advice all the time. I am as guilty as anyone for not doing this. It is a wonderful camino.

Most read last week in this forum

There was a Facebook posting this morning that two pilgrims were robbed last night in Ponferrada and that a pilgrim was mugged with a knife in Ponferrada at 5:30 am this morning. The post said the...
Still from the video which was posted on a FB page related to the Camino Frances.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back