• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caaveiro Monastery

HawkeyeJeff

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hello. I will be walking the Camino Ingles this September. I hope to arrive in Pontedeume very early afternoon and was interested in visiting Caaveiro Monastery. I understand that it is several kilometers off route and wondered if anyone had some insight on the best way to get there from Pontedeume. Also, if anyone has been there, do you have opinions on if it merits a visit over other options in town.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, HawkeyeJeff, Welcome to the forum!

Oh, my, that looks really lovely. Nestled in a park, along a forested river trail, just great! But it is a bit of a walk. Google maps says it’s 13 km from the center of Pontedeume to the monastery/church.

This wikiloc track would take you from a parking lot that looks to be about 8 km from Pontedeume, up to the monastery and then beyond through the park. Maybe get a cab to the start of these tracks where the parking lot is?

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...ros-fragas-do-eume-pontedeume-coruna-99137060.

It looks like an off-road trail starts at the end of the DP-6902, and from there it’s about 10 km to the monastery. See these tracks.

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/fragas-do-eume-111734560

Even if you don’t use wikilocs, take a look at the pictures that have been recorded. It looks like an absolutely beautiful walk. One idea would be to spend an extra day in Pontedeume and take a day hike out to the monastery, beyond through the forest, and then back to town. That would probably be about 25 kms. I’d do it in a heartbeat if I were there! Thanks for pointing this out, @HawkeyeJeff.

And by the way, if your screen name references a Big Ten team, I’m an Illini from Champaign.

Hi, HawkeyeJeff, Welcome to the forum!

Oh, my, that looks really lovely. Nestled in a park, along a forested river trail, just great! But it is a bit of a walk. Google maps says it’s 13 km from the center of Pontedeume to the monastery/church.

This wikiloc track would take you from a parking lot that looks to be about 8 km from Pontedeume, up to the monastery and then beyond through the park. Maybe get a cab to the start of these tracks where the parking lot is?

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...ros-fragas-do-eume-pontedeume-coruna-99137060.

Itlooks like an off-road trail starts at the end of the DP-6902, and from there it’s about 10 km to the monastery. See these tracks.

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/fragas-do-eume-111734560

Even if you don’t use wikilocs, take a look at the pictures that have been recorded. It looks like an absolutely beautiful walk. One idea would be to spend an extra day in Pontedeume and take a day hike out to the monastery, beyond through the forest, and then back to town. That wold probably be about 25 kms. I’d do it in a heartbeat if I were there! Thanks for pointing this out, @HawkeyeJeff.

And by the way, if your avatar references a Big Ten team, I’m an Illini from Champaign.
Thank you for the info...I especially like the idea of spending an extra day and making a day-trip of it. The entire area does look amazing.

And yes, I am a proud Iowa alumni. Go Big Ten!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And just poking around a bit, I see there is another quite interesting place about 20 km from Betanzos. Monasterio de Monfero.

In fact, both Monfero and Caaveiro are on a trail, the GR 55, which goes to Santo André de Teixido.

And it turns out that forum members have spoken about this trail before. See this thread.

I know that @Rebekah Scott has visited Santo André de Teixido, which has many legends and beliefs surrounding it.

This is way more than @HawkeyeJeff asked about, but the rabbit hole of romanesque in Spain will get me every time!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello. I will be walking the Camino Ingles this September. I hope to arrive in Pontedeume very early afternoon and was interested in visiting Caaveiro Monastery. I understand that it is several...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back