Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles, leaving in the afternoon

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Today, traveling by bus from Pamplona to SJPP, we passed through Roncesvalles. In Roncesvalles, it was raining and the fog was all over the mountain.
Hi again, @JonnyRosa, you made a sensible decision. The current weather isn't anything even close to severe, just dense cloud cover reaching low down in the atmosphere and some rain but there is not much point to walk where, imho, the main attraction are good views. It will be better when you start walking tomorrow.

I am a little puzzled that you wrote yesterday that you were very happy with the weather forecast and you only saw in Roncesvalles today that you weren't so happy. Today had been pretty predictable, see cloud cover and precipitation forecasts below. And it had been mentioned earlier in the thread that mountain weather is not identical with "small town in the valley weather" or with "city some 75 km away weather". Precise location details matter.

You are coming from the Sao Paulo region where, it seems, the lowest temperature during the year is some 14 ºC. When you leave SJPP tomorrow morning, it will be around 11 ºC and that's what it will feel like. By lunchtime it will be around 16 ºC in SJPP while you will be already further up at a higher altitude of some 1300-1400 m where the temperature will be around 9 ºC but it will feel more like 5 ºC or 4 ºC, especially when there is some wind. No body parts will freeze off but it will feel not so pleasant ... I think nippy is the word. I am sure you know how to dress appropriately.

Have a great walk and I am looking forward to reading your report!

Meteoblue Bentarte.jpg

Last edited:
Even though I was a little upset, I decided to spend the night in SJPP and leave for Roncesvalles tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow I'll tell you how the journey went and how I got there.
Good decision.

Good decisions are based on experience.
Experience is based on bad decisions.

Lots of experience on this forum... ;)

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Even though I was a little upset, I decided to spend the night in SJPP and leave for Roncesvalles tomorrow morning.
Great !!

30 years ago I was as fast a walker as you are today, and leaving SJPP after 11AM at the VERY latest was completely unreasonable.

Tomorrow OTOH you might have a good chance at getting some distance beyond Roncesvalles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi again, @JonnyRosa, you made a sensible decision. The current weather isn't anything even close to severe, just dense cloud cover reaching low down in the atmosphere and some rain but there is not much point to walk where, imho, the main attraction are good views. It will be better when you start walking tomorrow.

I am a little puzzled that you wrote yesterday that you were very happy with the weather forecast and you only saw in Roncesvalles today that you weren't so happy. Today had been pretty predictable, see cloud cover and precipitation forecasts below. And it had been mentioned earlier in the thread that mountain weather is not identical with "small town in the valley weather" or with "city some 75 km away weather". Precise location details matter.

You are coming from the Sao Paulo region where, it seems, the lowest temperature during the year is some 14 ºC. When you leave SJPP tomorrow morning, it will be around 11 ºC and that's what it will feel like. By lunchtime it will be around 16 ºC in SJPP while you will be already further up at a higher altitude of some 1300-1400 m where the temperature will be around 9 ºC but it will feel more like 5 ºC or 4 ºC, especially when there is some wind. No body parts will freeze off but it will feel not so pleasant ... I think nippy is the word. I am sure you know how to dress appropriately.

Have a great walk and I am looking forward to reading your report!

View attachment 178453
Thanks Kathar1na,
When the bus passed through Roncesvalles, I noticed something that the weather forecast didn't show. The forecast was for a maximum of 5 mm of rain, and during my journey it rained much more than that, with a lot of wind and poor visibility, which could have been a problem at the end of the stretch, on the way down to Roncesvalles, because whether I was going on the asphalt or through the forest, the stretch to the finish line was through a forest. I'm writing this detail because it might be useful to someone.

You have travelled far today.

Enjoy your first (and last) French dinner tonight, get a good night's sleep, and start fresh and well-slept tomorrow morning. It will be a great day with no stress about darkness or invisible hurdles in the dark, and then a good Spanish dinner in Roncesvalles.

One point; When I walked, I took the way through the forests down to Roncesvalles: It was autumn, like now, and it was steep and incredibly slippery due to large amounts of wet, rotting leaves on the ground: I was falling several times. My advice is to follow the road the last part.

Edit: Thanks to the last post by @Kathar1na , we can see that you would have had a tough afternoon/evening if you had started today. Remember, this is the hardest day of the whole Camino Frances. Better save your efforts for the coming days. Many pilgrims have been broken and had to stop their Camino after day 1. Too bad.

Tomorrow, OTOH, looks clearly much better.

Visit the Pilgrims Office tomorrow morning, get your credencial and first stamp, and pay close attention to their weather advice. No stress.

Looking forward to your report tomorrow. From Roncesvalles... :cool:

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Something puzzles me why do people fly to Pamplona then travel back to SJPP would Biarritz be more logical ? then train from Bayonne.
I stopped by El Peregrino Bazaar, Amancio Yagüez's iconic workplace in Castrojeriz's Plaza Mayor, last week. The shop was closed when I got there about ten minutes before 5pm. I sat down on a...
That's me finished, had blast and not to many blisters. Overall a fantastic experience, lovely Spain l thankyou
I lost a kindle in Orisson about 10 days ago. I emailed them and they found it! I volunteered to pay to have it mailed to me in the U.S. They replied” a special society” will contact you for its...
I'm looking at starting around March 10, 2025, and will leave from Saint Jean Pied de Port. I welcome any input from people that started that early. A couple of concerns included the weather the...
When I ended my first camino in Leon due to illness in 2022, I came to peace with it and decided it WAS my full camino and I was also certain I was one and done. I told everyone exactly that- I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back