• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne - Ustaritz

AML

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept 2013
Norte/Primitivo May/June 2014
Vasco del Interior/ Burgos - Leon/Del Salvador/Primitivo May/June 2015
Ourense - Santiago Sept 2015
Camino Ingles Sept 2015
Porto-SDC Sept/Oct 2016
I'm hopefully arriving Biarritz on 2nd Oct around noon, was planning to go to Bayonne cathedral to pick up a credential, get some lunch then walk the 14km to Ustaritz on same day.
I think it will be gentle enough walk, seems relatively flat and along the river.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
You only problem may be finding someone in the vestry to sell you a credential. Check the Mass schedule and go there for Mass, that when there is normally personnel around.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
You only problem may be finding someone in the vestry to sell you a credential. Check the Mass schedule and go there for Mass, that when there is normally personnel around.
Thanks, yes i have thought about that. The Albergue in Bayonne opens at 2pm so if i dont get one at Cathedral i'll get one there.

I'm hopefully arriving Biarritz on 2nd Oct around noon, was planning to go to Bayonne cathedral to pick up a credential, get some lunch then walk the 14km to Ustaritz on same day.
I think it will be gentle enough walk, seems relatively flat and along the river.
Wishing you a Buen Camino!

Perhaps you can also check the tourist office and the cloister. Two years ago personnel in the cathedral took a while to hunt down.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We went to the Albergue to get our credentials and the hospitalero very kindly walked us to the start of the camino without us asking. Enjoy your camino, the Baztan is very special.

Last edited:
I completed the Camino del Baztan alone at the end of August/beginning of September.Had a wonderful 6 days without seeing any other walker going same way until Pamplona.I had already purchased a credential prior to my walk but had no problem getting my first sello in Bayonne cathedral from some very nice people sitting at a desk in the entrance,however it was later in the day.When you reach Usteritz,,I obtained a second from the presbytery next to the church.
The walk from Bayonne to Usteritz (I continued to Espelette),is totally flat along the riverbank and in my opinion the least interesting and scenic part of the route.Then again,I couldn’t see much of the surroundings as walked most of the route in torrential rain and several spectacular thunderstorms.
Very happy to answer any further questions,it really was everything I hoped for and so much more and I couldn’t and still don’t understand why more people don’t walk it,I think I was visitor 551 this year at the Albergue in Olague.
Buen Camino
Stuart

I am in Burgos after finishing the Baztan then the Frances to Burgos. LOVED the Baztan in fact more than I have been liking the Frances. Much quieter and more beautiful and (forgive me for saying so) more of what a Camino should be. Could do with a bit more infrastructure, shops and places to stay but just lovely walking

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with you @Rossandjeannie, the Baztan is very beautiful, both Jeff and I (Marilyn) loved it. To us, it is a very special wee camino. However, when we walked last year, it wasn't quiet. There were 10 others walking the Baztan over 6 days, just as we did, so we more or less had a built-in camino family - far from what we were expecting. We walked alone each day and caught up with all, or most of the others, each night. On 29 September 2023 we were pilgrims 486 & 487 in the Albergue in Olagüe.

One warning. The way marking is not at all the same as you will find in Spain. Keep a close eye out on street sign poles, etc for the 3/4" yellow tape that merks the way.
I'll agree with the rest of this thread. It is a beautiful route and the first section is very flat.

Gord

The Baztan was my first Camino and I feel I may well have set the bar high for any future trips.it was for me at least, a very good challenge both physically and mentally.
Agree regarding the lack of infrastructure and I took the option of staying in small hotels in Espelette,Urdax,Elizondo & Venta San Blas and was pleased I did so.
After my first stage,the weather turned very hot and humid and a cold beer when I reached some civilisation has never tasted so good.
I absolutely loved the scenery,friendly locals,beautiful villages and wildlife…..no less than eight Griffon vultures circling above me at one point.
I also found that I embraced the solitude and having so much time to think meant that my mind travelled so much further than just from Bayonne to Pamplona.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm hopefully arriving Biarritz on 2nd Oct around noon, was planning to go to Bayonne cathedral to pick up a credential, get some lunch then walk the 14km to Ustaritz on same day. I think it will...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back