• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Review of packinglist for october frances please! =)

maryelle

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hi all! Leaving shortly for the frances from SJPP and i would like to check if im doing well packing wise:

Clothing incl what i will wear, so total:
1 short sleeve sports T
1 2nd skin layer longsleeve (very thin and light)
1 thermo / keepdry layer longsleeve
1 fleece

1 short
1 winter running tight
1 wider pant that acts as outer shell for wind and or rain protection and can be put over short or tight at cold mornings, can also be worn as is

1 PJ set (thermolegging, cotton longsleeve)

2 runningsocks (can't do hikingsocks, too thick at the wrong place)
1 comfy sock
2 bra
3 undies

1 poncho
1 softshell

1 trailrunner topo
1 lightweight sandal since i could not find toesocks for my flipflops lol and now i can walk too if my shoes are soaked or if my feet are unhappy with them for a bit

I tend to be very cold after a day outside no matter the weather really

1 bag with meds, thyroid meds for 40 days, b12 injections for half of it and will hopefully be able to get along the way, few painkillers, supplements for the whole 40 days (unsure about this, maybe just do without and try and eat best i can... i usually use gingko for bloodflow, magnesium daily, iron, and thyroid supplements) i can never take all with me. ive bbeen thinking maybe bring half of all and ship half (or ship per week ahead, but i do find that tricky also)

1 microfiber towel large (i know..) the airlite really didnt feel comfy...

1 stellar blanket from thermarest
1 silk liner
1 pillow (still deciding between inflatable or exped 230gram)

1 fast charger and different cables
1 lightweight battery
1 bose anc earbuds
1 anker sleepbuds

5 laundry sheets

toiletries being 2 small toothpaste 15g each, 1x block soap for hair, skin, body and clothes, 1 toothbrush, 1 razor, 1 pincet, 1 nailscissors,, 50ml sunscreen, 50ml facecream, 3 very small containers of vaseline (instead of bringing the whole 100ml) few wax earplugs, elastics, toothpick

1 10l light decathlon backpack for walking in town or groceries
1 sort of bumbag that can be attached to hipbelt during day and can be on its own after incl cards and cash pasport etc

debating over a raincover since i have the poncho and also over a very lightweight big shawl that can be multipurpose

1 compression sleeve for knee
1 baseball hat
1 buff
1 pair of gloves

i don't have weight per item since i dont own such scale, but my normal scale says 6.6kg incl the osprey eja 35 excl the topo and bumbag

i rather see lighter, but i can't seem to make that happen for an later autumn first time. i don't own the lightweight stuff and i have no idea what i will really need in autumn esp this odd year. If im uncomfy or cold, i will not make it for sure.

Im fit, and have trained lots with my pack, most of time incl 1 liter of water even and some fruit. I am only 49kg though... hence why i run so cold.

Did i miss anything? Do i bring way too much?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It looks good to me.
I don't understand what the softshell and laundry sheets are for though?
All albergues/hostals have pillows, I don't think you need to bring one. Use your clothes in a dry sack if you need it.
As for medicines/supplements, you may be able to get them over the counter in Spain... ? I'd check.
I don't think you'll need the shorts either, but that's just me!
The backpack for walking in town could be replaced by a store plastic bag, since you already have a bum bag?
I was very cold in the mornings walking in September, I wished I had brought gloves. Socks worked ok but not that great!
Honestly, your list looks ok to me :)

It looks good to me.
I don't understand what the softshell and laundry sheets are for though?
All albergues/hostals have pillows, I don't think you need to bring one. Use your clothes in a dry sack if you need it.
As for medicines/supplements, you may be able to get them over the counter in Spain... ? I'd check.
I don't think you'll need the shorts either, but that's just me!
The backpack for walking in town could be replaced by a store plastic bag, since you already have a bum bag?
I was very cold in the mornings walking in September, I wished I had brought gloves. Socks worked ok but not that great!
Oh yes gloves i have! forgot to add!

I initially thought i would just hike in my shorts, also since i dont really bring a rainpant, they weigh nothing (runners version), its better if its so cold i cant wear them lol, the wintertights are way heavier so better to wear.

the laundry sheets are for a machine wash 1x per week. the softshell is my jacket.

Thank you for reviewing!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh yes gloves i have! forgot to add!

I initially thought i would just hike in my shorts, also since i dont really bring a rainpant, they weigh nothing (runners version), its better if its so cold i cant wear them lol, the wintertights are way heavier so better to wear.

the laundry sheets are for a machine wash 1x per week. the softshell is my jacket.

Thank you for reviewing!
Don't bother with the laundry sheets, (although they probably weigh nothing lol), if you use a 'lavanderia' the soap is included.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola

Paracord/thin line 4 meters - for hanging cloth to dry
Safteypins x 10-20 - for hanging cloth on line or on your backpack
Headlight
Small rock to leave at the Iron Cross - if you have anything you would want to unburden yourself with in life..
5-8 Liter drybag - use as washing machine - but cloth and soap in - close and shake
% pillow - you can use the drybag, filled with the clothe you dont use, as a sleepingbag - alternativ the inflatable
Gloves for the morning - wool warm even when wet
Notebook and pen
Red bicycle flashing light on back of backpack
Something to read
Plastic cup/fork/spoon
Small swissknife or the like
1/2 roll of toiletpaper

Pack everything in zip-lock bags - keep a few extra in your backpack

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Headlamp is a good call - dawn comes late in Spanish time in October.

You may have an excess of waterproof tops - ideally separate waterproof and warm so you can layer-up.

If your poncho is one which will fully cover your sack, a rain cover is not necessary - but out of an abundance of caution I’d use a waterproof liner. In the UK that would be a builders rubble-sack, in the US a ‘trash compactor’ bag.

I take a handful of supplements at home, but not on Camino. Mine are not medically necessary though.

The 10L sack is ‘nice to have’ not ‘must have’.

Pillow case if you must; pillow unnecessary.

Add some basic foot-care in case of blisters.

I wear shorts throughout - unless the rain is torrential.

Taking PJs is very much a personal choice. I do, so as to not frighten those of a nervous disposition. In my case ultralight boxers and T.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Thanks all!

Headlamp I forgot to mention, it's packed. I'll attach a red light to backpack too. I'll put a garbage bag inside as a liner.

I have all in ziplocks and will leave the supplements behind apart from the medically prescribed abut will take my chances of getting B12 halfway at a pharmacy.

I've been worried I packed too much clothes, but if it's no short plus t weather which it won't most part of walking I don't think I have too much.

I usually sleep in boxer and t too but no idea how cold it will be. Also no idea If I can use the flat pillows lol. I guess I'll find out! Otherwise I'm sure I can buy an inflatable one for extra height.

I've been debating between doen puffy and my softshell fleece lined. I don't own anything else. I always use my softshell at home, owned the puffy for 8 yearsand never worn... It can be this was its purpose but I feel less comfy with it. It may be the better choice though.

I've just finished the Camino Frances and am writing this from Santiago. Bring or get some walking sticks. They really helped. And blankets are provided by the albergues so you don't really need to bring one. If it gets really cold, just wear all your layers to bed.

I've just finished the Camino Frances and am writing this from Santiago. Bring or get some walking sticks. They really helped. And blankets are provided by the albergues so you don't really need to bring one. If it gets really cold, just wear all your layers to bed.
Did ALL have blankets? I read a lot that don't.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No, all albergues do not provide blankets. You can find some which do not have.
Furthermore, it is not a good idea to sleep with your day clothes.
Forget the stone and bring a blanket or a sleeping bag.
Thank you, my thoughts exactly. Being comfy under my blanket, also when I sit in the afternoon after a bad weather day is worth a lot!

Thanks all!

Headlamp I forgot to mention, it's packed. I'll attach a red light to backpack too. I'll put a garbage bag inside as a liner.

I have all in ziplocks and will leave the supplements behind apart from the medically prescribed abut will take my chances of getting B12 halfway at a pharmacy.

I've been worried I packed too much clothes, but if it's no short plus t weather which it won't most part of walking I don't think I have too much.

I usually sleep in boxer and t too but no idea how cold it will be. Also no idea If I can use the flat pillows lol. I guess I'll find out! Otherwise I'm sure I can buy an inflatable one for extra height.

I've been debating between doen puffy and my softshell fleece lined. I don't own anything else. I always use my softshell at home, owned the puffy for 8 yearsand never worn... It can be this was its purpose but I feel less comfy with it. It may be the better choice though.
Great list, overall! Also, remember that your packing list is not definitive: you can always donate or ship back home things you don't need, and buy whatever you forgot. You'll be fine.

Yes, you'll be able to get the supplements over the counter at any pharmacy in Spain without a prescription. (I don't know about the dosage in this case. I think higher dosages may need a prescription). Decathlon has them as well, and even some supermarkets.

The only thing that caught my eye is the small backpack. I took a lightweight tote bag with me (the ones you can fold into a tiny square), and sometimes the same plastic bag they'll offer at the grocery store are super convenient as well to store any wet items or trash until you find a bin.
I didn't see any blister care items in your list (needle, antiseptic spray or similar, surgical tape, blister plasters). This is the type of just-in-case items that are worth their weight I think.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’d definitely consider a lightweight folding walking pole or poles to help on steep downhills on potentially wet and/or muddy sections.

Otherwise, with the headtorch added, it looks good to me.

Wishing you a great camino.

Great list, overall! Also, remember that your packing list is not definitive: you can always donate or ship back home things you don't need, and buy whatever you forgot. You'll be fine.

Yes, you'll be able to get the supplements over the counter at any pharmacy in Spain without a prescription. (I don't know about the dosage in this case. I think higher dosages may need a prescription). Decathlon has them as well, and even some supermarkets.

The only thing that caught my eye is the small backpack. I took a lightweight tote bag with me (the ones you can fold into a tiny square), and sometimes the same plastic bag they'll offer at the grocery store are super convenient as well to store any wet items or trash until you find a bin.
I didn't see any blister care items in your list (needle, antiseptic spray or similar, surgical tape, blister plasters). This is the type of just-in-case items that are worth their weight I think.
Ty!!!
Yes it was a tiny foldable decathlon 10l backpack 50gr orso, I thought in case I need to ship my pack a day I can use that but I'll prob stick with the tote too. It doesn't really matter.

Blister care yes, I put some sports tape in now and two compeed just in case now. I'm mostly a Vaseline person, needles I carry enough for my B12 shots. I'll add some antiseptic! Ty!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Puffy vs Fleece. I’m having this dilemma now. I’m the opposite of you, always wear my puffy, rarely my fleece. So the puffy it is. I think your more comfortable with the fleece so that’s what you should stick with

Ty!!!
Yes it was a tiny foldable decathlon 10l backpack 50gr orso, I thought in case I need to ship my pack a day I can use that but I'll prob stick with the tote too. It doesn't really matter.

Blister care yes, I put some sports tape in now and two compeed just in case now. I'm mostly a Vaseline person, needles I carry enough for my B12 shots. I'll add some antiseptic! Ty!
You can buy an antisespic spray in any farmacia once in Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Why? It's quite common for pilgrims to sleep in their next day's clothes.
I hope it’s not just me, but I can live with it if it is.

I’ll never choose to sleep in tomorrow’s - or yesterday’s - clothes. In my youth, in the British army, I spent anything up to a week near the Irish border in the same clothes, eating cold food and defecating into a plastic bag. At least someone was paying me and there were supposedly good tactical reasons, notwithstanding all the local primary school children knew exactly where we were.

Now; I refuse.

During the day I have walking clothes.

Once I stop, and hopefully shower, I have a single set of half-respectable evening clothes. I don’t want to live 24/7 dressed for an adventure race.

Finally - and most important - I have a pair of boxers and a t-shirt which are ultra-lightweight, but which I preserve for sleeping in.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, just reading up about the Altus poncho … is it 100% absolutely waterproof in heavy, even torrential rain? I am looking to buy a new rain jacket or poncho for my next Camino in March/April...
After my first Camino, I made several adjustments to my packing list for this year in the hope of being more efficient. Here’s a breakdown of what I changed and why: Lighting: Last time, I didn't...
What is most prominent on the trail? I have a pair of three section telescoping poles. They don't fold into thirds but slide longer or shorter. They are great but still quite tall when compressed...
I am staying at Hospedería San Martin Pinario while I volunteer at the Pilgrim’s office in late October to early November. I’m wondering if they provide toiletries such as soap, shampoo, etc. or...
Hello, I'll be walking Frances in October starting from SJPdP. It's my first time walking. My backpack is now 7.5kg all included but I'm looking to reduce weight. I'm looking for advice re...
I received a notification from FindPenguins that the app is now completely free - it's no longer a two tiered system with basic free accounts and premium accounts. https://findpenguins.com/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.