• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese camino coastal route September.

johnh79

Time of past OR future Camino
September
Hi. I'm hoping to do the Portuguese camino coastal route from Porto in September. I've done the Camino Frances in 2015 and Portuguese central route in 2019. I'm reading up about the coastal route and I see where some people say that it can be very quiet and lonely. Can anyone who has done the coastal route around this time give any advice. Thanks.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi. I'm hoping to do the Portuguese camino coastal route from Porto in September. I've done the Camino Frances in 2015 and Portuguese central route in 2019. I'm reading up about the coastal route and I see where some people say that it can be very quiet and lonely. Can anyone who has done the coastal route around this time give any advice. Thanks.
We have walked Caminos in September, although we did the Coastal Route in the spring of the year, and found it a great time with regard to weather. So, we walked the Coastsl route a bit off season, but we did not find it at all lonely. However, yes if you compare it to the CF, it’s much quieter. Nonetheless, there were a number of other pilgrims along with us following this route to Santiago.

Having also walked the Central Route, I can say it was just as enjoyable. We happened to have great weather so walking along the coast was delightful. Wonderful small towns to large cities dot the path you’ll follow: Caminha, Oia, Baiona, and Vigo.

My one recommendation, if you have an extra day in your itinerary, would be to follow the Variante Espiritual after Pontevedra. The next time we do this route I think we will lolly a bit around Pontevedra the day we leave that city and then overnight in Combarro before climbing the hill to Armenteria. We also found the boat ride from Vilanova de Arouza toward Padrón to be one of the highlights of the trip. I can’t imagine you having anything but a great Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Started September 20th during the pandemic; there was enough pilgrims then! (spend an extra day in Porto well worth it great city)
That year 7800 walked last year 52000 walked i think you will have enough company along the way!!!
Weather in 2021 was great 22- 27 C one rain day (27Cwas on Oct 12th in Santiago)
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody

I’m reading up about the coastal route and I see where some people say that it can be very quiet and lonely.
In the last couple of years the popularity of the Portuguese coastal has exploded. @Bradypus will no doubt be along shortly with some figures to illustrate that. So I wouldn’t expect it to be lonely these days.

Last edited:
some people say that it can be very quiet and lonely
Hi, I walked the Coastal in May 2018, which is similar in numbers with September month (peak seasons), but I walked it in reverse. I lost count every day of the numbers of pilgrims I passed coming the other way. I tried, but after 100 I gave up. That was 6 years ago and apparently it is now a very popular route, so I doubt that you will find it quiet and lonely in 2024/5. Bom caminho!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My wife and I will also be walking the coastal route in September. 18 days from Porto. We hope that it won’t be lonely.

I walked the Portugues coastal route in September 2018 from A Guarda. You'll have plenty of company, especially after Vigo (the 100km point). I may be doing the rest of the Portugues from Porto to Caminha in the fall or spring.

By comparison, I also walked the Aragones, which is very lonely and peaceful. Both are beautiful.

Buen Camino

I found that when I really connected with pilgrims was mainly at Albergues - so it may depend upon where you stay how much you connect with others? I found in the costal towns - there were more places to eat and fewer that catered only to pilgrims as this is a key vacation area, many places also included a simple breakfast so I did not connect as much over meals often eating alone as I ate my mail meal around 3 or so ( as I was often in bed by 9 pm) I saw lots of people and connected and walked stages with many but was different from the Frances where you had a crew that you walked with most of the way. I enjoyed the opportunity to reflect so I was not lonely. It is a different camino than the Frances which I appreciated!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just did it in Sept, 2023. Not at all lonely, but extremely busy! Both the Senda Litoral and Coastal, as I backtracked and did both for my website updates. I thought the Senda Litoral was a bit more busy, but not by much!

We start from Porto the second week of October and thinking we will be walking mostly by ourselves 😆

We are then walking the Ingles at the end of October and definitely not expecting many others on the route.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did it in Spring 2023. Very busy when it came to finding accommodation. My account is attached: you may find it useful

Attachments

• Caminho Portugués Por Costa Diary.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
I was on the Portuguese (central) last September and it was busy! If I stopped for a water break at least 50 people would walk past me. The weather, however, was great.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Xunta de Galicia organizes a 20 kms walk to ask the mayor signalling the Camino on Vigo municipality...
Hi friends, old and new. It is a year since our first Camino walking partly in memory of my dad Sagalout. This year, we are going to walk from Porto and have given ourselves plenty of time (I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back