• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day trip from Santiago - Ourense?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm going to have three and a half days in Santiago after I arrive, and thought that it would be fun to do a day trip. My accommodation in Santiago is already paid for, so I'm not looking for an overnight. Ourense appeals because I've never been there before and it's less than 45 minutes by train. So the question is, what to do there on a day trip?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm going to have three and a half days in Santiago after I arrive, and thought that it would be fun to do a day trip. My accommodation in Santiago is already paid for, so I'm not looking for an overnight. Ourense appeals because I've never been there before and it's less than 45 minutes by train. So the question is, what to do there on a day trip?

If you do plan to go to the thermal baths, which are fun, make sure to check to see which are open. There are frequent temporary closures. This listing, on the same website that @alexwalker posted, looks pretty up to date.

The Cathedral pórtico will remind you of the Pórtico de las Glorias, and it is very beautiful.

The romanesque Claustro de San Francisco was closed for years and I have never been in. It’s adjacent to the old albergue site.

I’ve had some good meals there but don’t remember names. Ourense isn’t one of my favorite cities on the Sanabrés, but it’s close and convenient to get to and will make for an enjoyable day, IMHO.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The street art in Ourense is terrific - we hit it right after Halloween, so there were some great costumed figures around. I've attached some photos.

The hot springs are great fun. The Portico of Paraiso at the cathedral is really impressive. Unlike it's more august companion at the Cathedral in Santiago, the Romanesque carvings were repainted in the 16th or 17th century, so they are much more colorful if you like that type of thing. At a different, much smaller church at the top of an exterior pillar was a carving of a 14th century bagpiper.

We had great food in Ourense. So overall, we really enjoyed Ourense.

Attachments

• 20231102_122711.jpg
    20231102_122711.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20231102_143915.jpg
    20231102_143915.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20231102_131942.jpg
    20231102_131942.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20231101_171959.jpg
    20231101_171959.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20231101_162410.jpg
    20231101_162410.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20231102_144453.jpg
    20231102_144453.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
The Millenium Bridge. Pull up a pic on the internet. The saggy loop (in the shape of a Pringle (a more-ish chip/cracker/crisp here in the UK)) is actually a pedestrian walkway. It's a fascinating integration of the freedom and expression of walking into a modern architectural structure designed to ferry cars. But I'd avoid if you get vertigo...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Millenium Bridge. Pull up a pic on the internet. The saggy loop (in the shape of a Pringle (a more-ish chip/cracker/crisp here in the UK)) is actually a pedestrian walkway. It's a fascinating integration of the freedom and expression of walking into a modern architectural structure designed to ferry cars. But I'd avoid if you get vertigo...
And then contrast it with the nearby Historic Bridge (Ponte Vella or Ponte Romana), which may be more than 1000 years old (but I've also read that it is a medieval bridge (so relatively new) built on Roman ruins. It is now a dedicated pedestrian bridge. And the new bridge may or may not have been designed by Spanish futurist architect Santiago Calatrava; apparently he will not take credit for it.

Walking the Millenium Bridge was one of my very favorite things to do. I occasionally have vertigo in high places, but the fencing kept my fear at bay knowing there was no way I would fall off. It was almost like an amusement ride powered by yourself.
I agree with @peregrina2000; Ourense was not a favorite city on my list, despite its popularity.
And then contrast it with the nearby Historic Bridge (Ponte Vella or Ponte Romana), which may be more than 1000 years old (but I've also read that it is a medieval bridge (so relatively new) built on Roman ruins. It is now a dedicated pedestrian bridge.
Yes, this ancient bridge is not far from the Millenium Bridge and provided some nice views of the other.

Lovely old train outside Ourense station https://www.google.ie/maps/@42.3496...JQ5nQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hop on one of the many commuter trains to O Coruña, less than half an hour away and a few Euros. Plenty there to keep you amused for a day. Do a day trip on local busses to Finisterra. Or go on an organised day tour to Muxia, Finisterra and the sites.

Hop on one of the many commuter trains to O Coruña, less than half an hour away and a few Euros. Plenty there to keep you amused for a day. Do a day trip on local busses to Finisterra. Or go on an organised day tour to Muxia, Finisterra and the sites.
I love A Coruña and that would have been my first choice, but I want to go somewhere new to me, which also eliminates Finisterre and Muxía.

I'm welcome to other suggestions of places that I can get to in less than an hour by train or bus.

Hi Ribadavia in the heart of the wine producing area of Ribeiro, which has lots of historic monuments worth visiting, is a must. You need to take a short bus ride to get there. If you tell me when your visiting I might be able to give you a lift back to Ourense.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I really loved Combarro Spain on the Espiritual Variant, but it's a bit farther, too. It's a very interesting and unique village on the water with great seafood restaurants. A quick search brought up a bus at an hour, forty minute ride, but I didn't look for specific details.

My other ideas are Pontevedra, or taking a bus to Sigüeiro and walking the final stage if the Inglés to see what it's like to enter Santiago from that direction.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My other ideas are Pontevedra, or taking a bus to Sigüeiro and walking the final stage if the Inglés to see what it's like to enter Santiago from that direction.
Yes, Pontevedra is easier to get to than Combarro, although not too far from each other. I didn't realize you had not been there before.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So glad you started this thread @trecile as I have the same "predicament". I've reserved 3 nights in San Martin Pinario and really don't need 3 days in Santiago. And since I haven't paid, I can always cancel one night. I've never been to A Coruña so that was my first thought. Glad to hear that it's a favorite of yours.

Do you have a suggestion regarding a reasonably priced lodging in A Coruña?

And many thanks to all who have contributed about Orense! This will be my third time there and haven't seen some of the sights you all have mentioned.

30 Minute train ride to A Coruna. Beautiful sea side town just north of Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Hi, this might be a strange question but just wandering how much cash should you bring with you on the Camino?? Thanks
Why do they put the kilometer markers where they do, for example 301.1 km, and as 300km was over an hours walk away, are these people messing with my mind
If you have given thought to begin or end your Camino in Barcelona--Tourist taxes and a ban on Short Term Rentals...
Dont question the why.. The reasons are a million or more than the stars in the sky Its simply you were needed"there" at that point in time and place Fate and destiny Shrug and sigh Whats it all...
Hey everyone, wondering what everyone does for cell service while on the Camino. I am coming from the US and last time I was in EU I got a free mobile plan for cheap but cancelling the plan was a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.