• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to SJPDP

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Trains from Paris to Bayonne
From Gare Montparnasse to Gare de Bayonne · Tue, 23 Jul
Climate friendly
07:11 – 11:03
3h 52m
·
0 changes
08:01 – 12:18
4h 17m
·
0 changes
10:11 – 14:14
4h 3m

15:11 – 19:18
4h 7m

·
1 change
16:11 – 20:10
3h 59m
·
0 changes
18:11 – 22:11
4h
·
0 changes
More trains then on to SJPP

Bayonne
St-Jean-Pied-de-Port
1h 1m1 hour 1 minute, 0 changes

17:13
18:18
Bayonne
St-Jean-Pied-de-Port
TER 867319
1h 5m1 hour 5 minutes, 0 changes

Cheapest
€11.60

18:37
19:43
Bayonne
St-Jean-Pied-de-Port
TER 867321
1h 6m1 hour 6 minutes, 0 changes

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are a number of Transavia France flights from Paris-Orly to Biarritz (BIQ-Pays Basque) for $70 to 90 USD. Flight time is about 1 hours and 20 minutes. There are bus, train, and shuttle services that can get you from there to SJPdP (I prefer Express Bourricot).

That said, although I did not compare prices and relative time commitment, the train system in France is quite good and highly recommend.

There is a regular local bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne railway station. The Express Bourricot shuttle can be expensive (€ 130) if there are no other passengers! Train fom Bayonne to SJPdP is cheap (approx. € 12).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you arrive by train in Bayonne too late to get a local train to SJPdP you might stay in the pilgrim albergue in Bayonne for the night. They take reservations. See more info in this Gronze citation. You could then catch the first local train in the morning from Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

Good luck and Buen camino!

There is a regular local bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne railway station. The Express Bourricot shuttle can be expensive (€ 130) if there are no other passengers! Train fom Bayonne to SJPdP is cheap (approx. € 12).
While the advice is good as another option, IMHO it presents an extra headache in the "extra step.
  1. Get to Biarritz (presumably by plane)
  2. Take a bus from Biarritz to Bayonne
  3. Take a train (or substitute bus) from there to SJPdP
We've all been newbies and IMHO that's stressful enough (esp. if one didn't do the (ahem) pre-requisite training trip to Europe ;)😇) So the simpler - the better
Hence:
  1. Fly to Biarritz and
  2. do book Express Bouricott
or
  1. take a train to Bayonne and
  2. Take a train (or substitute bus) from there to SJPdP
now to be fair I guess the 2nd option predicates on how well one navigates a city in a foreign country (for the sake of an argument I will presume no knowledge of the city or the language; just to make it a bit more shall we say...interesting)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What @MickMac said. I can add that I bought the ticket all the way on the 10:11 train.

On Bayonne a bunch of us Pilgrims got "intercepted " as the next train was canceled and ushered outside and onto a parked bus which then took us to SJPdP
I think you'd be pushing it to make the 10:11 train.

I think you'd be pushing it to make the 10:11 train.
Well... (sheepish grin) I merely stated that thats the train i took.... but I guess I neglected to take a note that OP wants to do everything in one swift whoop as whereupon I spent a day in Paris and comfortably sashayed to Gare de Montparnasse next morning.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
I am not sure what ticket you booked but if it is the 10h11 you better hope the stars are aligned in your favor that your plane and luggage arrive on a timely basis and then the only way you will make it to Montparnasse on time is to take a very fast taxi in the Paris traffic snarl after clearing immigration which can be quite time consuming early in the morning. Bonne chance!

www.rome2rio.com

In short :

1) metro to Gare Montparnasse (ticket from vending machine in metro station)

2) from there TGV (fast train) to Bayonne. Book ticket in advance https://www.sncf-voyageurs.com/en/travel-with-us/booking-and-itinerary/book-tickets/

3) Then train to SJPdP. (Ticket from vending machine at railway station). Last train leaves at 9 pm (train earlier at 6.20 pm).
Thank you for these details. Just to confirm, it's not necessary to book the ticket from Bayonne to SJPdP in advance? We are staying overnight in Bayonne and already purchased the TGV ticket from Paris to Bayonne. We'd like to leave the timetable from Bayonne to SJPdP the next day open in case we decide to spend the morning in Bayonne.

Last edited:
No problem, it is just a simple ticket, not a seatnumber, no time on it.
if you arrive in the afternoon/evening in Bayonne, get your ticket for the following morning upon arrival immediately from the vending machine! You are not in a hurry then and have all the time to find out how it works.
In the morning it can be very crowded with pilgrims and they might be queing up for the vendingmachine.
Bayonne by the way is a beautiful little town, worth paying a visit. The historical centre is over the bridge.

I arrive in Paris CDG September 1st at 9:20 am. I have already booked a hotel in SJPDP for that night.

What's the best way to get to SJPDP from Paris ?
Check on RometoRio
While the advice is good as another option, IMHO it presents an extra headache in the "extra step.
  1. Get to Biarritz (presumably by plane)
  2. Take a bus from Biarritz to Bayonne
  3. Take a train (or substitute bus) from there to SJPdP
We've all been newbies and IMHO that's stressful enough (esp. if one didn't do the (ahem) pre-requisite training trip to Europe ;)😇) So the simpler - the better
Hence:
  1. Fly to Biarritz and
  2. do book Express Bouricott
or
  1. take a train to Bayonne and
  2. Take a train (or substitute bus) from there to SJPdP
now to be fair I guess the 2nd option predicates on how well one navigates a city in a foreign country (for the sake of an argument I will presume no knowledge of the city or the language; just to make it a bit more shall we say...interesting)
remember that he has to get from Paris airport to the Paris train station - so flying to Biarritz might be simpler. Biarritz airport is not large and many buses seem to go through it. I think I was on a BlaBla bus that stopped there before dropping me in Bayonne.

No problem, it is just a simple ticket, not a seatnumber, no time on it.
if you arrive in the afternoon/evening in Bayonne, get your ticket for the following morning upon arrival immediately from the vending machine! You are not in a hurry then and have all the time to find out how it works.
In the morning it can be very crowded with pilgrims and they might be queing up for the vendingmachine.
Bayonne by the way is a beautiful little town, worth paying a visit. The historical centre is over the bridge.
Great advice - thank you!

Check on RometoRio

remember that he has to get from Paris airport to the Paris train station - so flying to Biarritz might be simpler. Biarritz airport is not large and many buses seem to go through it. I think I was on a BlaBla bus that stopped there before dropping me in Bayonne.

He has to go to a trainstation anyway, either in Paris or in Biarritz.
The transfer in Paris from CDG to Gare Montparnasse is by metro.
In Biarritz he can take a local bus to Bayonne railwaystation.

And - my personal thoughts - why take an inland flight - with all the pollution of flying - when there is a perfect fast train?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Check on RometoRio

Yes see my post #15 I didn't see that the trip is all one day

Technically it's by RER B which is slightly different beast but at this point just semantics .
I sort of wouldn't want anyone looking for an "M" (or similar sign) IIRC it's "Gare Train Station Aeroport CdG". (T1 or T2) Please correct me if I m wrong

@CWBuff, yes, you are right. It is less simple ...
And as the Paralympics are in Paris up till September 8th, I suppose it will be busy!

He has to go to a trainstation anyway, either in Paris or in Biarritz.
In Biarritz he can take a local bus to Bayonne railwaystation.

And - my personal thoughts - why take an inland flight - with all the pollution of flying - when there is a perfect fast train?
I only suggested flying as it does not appear from an earlier post in available trains that he would get to St Jean the same day if he took the train.

In 2022, it took me 3 hours from landing to arriving at Montparnasse. Flight was first one in (6am) so few people in the US/CAN passport line. Walked from Denfert station because I didn't want to mess with Metro tickets. Had a lot of time to burn since I booked the 1:?? train to SJPP. You will be arriving near the end of the Paralympics so I wouldn't expect unusual volume of travelers arriving at CDG. In looking at SNCF site there are 2 departures that day - 12:11 and 2:05. Both get you into SJPP at the same time. So, you would probably be safe in booking the 2:05 which will give you enough time to get from CDG to Gare Montparnasse.

OP already stated he got the ticket although didn't specify on which train.
Hopefully it's not 10:11 because that would be cutting it close.
I also favor just taking RER B and getting off at Denfert-Rochereau it's a nice walk to Gare Montparnasse

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I'm currently on the Ingles, in Neda, & thought I would post with the state of play. 1stly , if your flying into A Coruna, & starting at Ferrol, it's an easy transfer. I got a bus from the...
So I was able to book our train from Santiago back to Madria this morning through Renfe! (Yay!) My question is once I finished and printed out the tickets I noticed that on one of the tickets it...
I’m trying to find the easiest way to get to Bayonne via train from Charles de Gaul airport. I arrive in Paris at 7:30 AM. October 21. Need to be at SJDP by evening. Would you recommend I get...
Hi, for several years I have posted about buying two tickets on renfe and then canceling the one ticket I did not need in time to get a refund (used to be an hour before departure). This was all...
My husband and I will begin our first Camino in three weeks. To accommodate the time we have available, we would like to start in Rates. We are thinking we could take the train from Porto to Povoa...
Hello! After finishing the camino by bicycle and riding to Finisterre, is it possible to return by bus (with my bike)? Thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.