• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packaging a Walking Stick

cwalden

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2024
I had plans to get my walking stick to the Camino. I'm having problems getting a shipping tube or container for it. The walking stick is 60" tall. If I can get it there and ditch the long tube do you think I can find a place that will package it for the return trip? I plan on checking it in at thje airline. For personal reasons and walking I really want to bring it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found this online ULine tubes but see.s you need to buy 10... a bit to costly if you ask me.
can't you just buy couple of tubes somewhere, splice them together (perhaps 2 different diameters so one will slide into the other) and then shrink wrap the whole thing at the airport?
Or go to one of the Mail shops - They might have an idea.
I'm sure there has to be a way to get it back home from Santiago as well....

Perhaps go to a plumbing supply store or home do-it-yourself store or hardware store (ferretería) and purchase a length of (usually black) ABS drain-waste-vent pipe of appropriate diameter, and put the walking stick inside it. In my country (Canada) it is widely-available, economical, robust, easily cut with a saw, and not particularly heavy. I use it for various non-plumbing projects.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a piece of foam pipe insulation. Cheap and lite. Amazon or hardware store.
I saw shipping wooden walking stick in a swimming pool noodle. Worked well!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You might check with the airline to make sure it's won't be considered oversized. 60" is pretty long, if I recall correctly, the height, length, and width combined can only add up to 64" for most airlines. There may be an exemption for sports equipment.

I thought the same as well but I do believe that it will fall under the said exemption. After all there are skis that are longer than 5 feet.
(Slightly different but musical instruments; think cello or double bass; definitely 'oversized')

I had plans to get my walking stick to the Camino. I'm having problems getting a shipping tube or container for it. The walking stick is 60" tall. If I can get it there and ditch the long tube do you think I can find a place that will package it for the return trip? I plan on checking it in at thje airline. For personal reasons and walking I really want to bring it.
Hmm, I take we're not talking about a trekking pole but wooden (?) walking stick that doesn't fold, telescope or even disappear up its own backside? At 5ft its a bit short to qualify as a staff or stave. Sounds an interesting implement and you're obviously fond of it.

If it is a walking-aid then airlines and gate-line security should let you through with it, but, that is only if it is a walking aid ie. you cannot walk without it.

I'll assume that as it is a walking-stick it is fairly robust and in which case it doesn't require protective packaging in such a case all you need to do is cling-film it so that the air-line baggage tag will attach firmly to it.

Good luck

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I second Tink's answer just above - except I would recommend the bubble wrap or cling film - THEN a cheap pool noodle to prevent damage to your obviously prized possession. They sell them here in Dollar Stores.

On arrival, you might fold the noodle and use bubble wrap / cling film into a box or bag at the Correos, and send it ahead to Ivar for reuse when returning home.

Or just a big plastic bag and tape!

I understand your attachment to your staff. On my first Camino I took, in a cardboard tube on the airplane, my "third leg", an old straight aluminum ski pole that had helped me over hundreds of miles of Alaska's mountains. I left it laying against the cafe counter in the Atocha Estacion and remembered it just as the train started its gentle departure. Luckily, I bought a beautiful bamboo pole in the Pasaje albergue. I still have it but now use one collapsible Black Diamond carbon fiber trekking pole. It is very light and most of the time on a Camino it is folded and in my backpack pocket. My point is, it is less of a hassle and much less likely to be left at a cafe counter. Buen Camino

Learn proper bathroom protocol on the Camino and share this info with other pilgrims.
I found this online ULine tubes but see.s you need to buy 10... a bit to costly if you ask me.
can't you just buy couple of tubes somewhere, splice them together (perhaps 2 different diameters so one will slide into the other) and then shrink wrap the whole thing at the airport?
I got my tube at a store next to a post office. I then checked the tube at the airport. On the way back since I knew I would need to check my poles again anyway stuffed them in my backpack and checked both. Of course I didn’t want to check my back pack on my departure flight. Too risky I might lose it.

If issues are coming up, ask about ski equipment. Your stick may be a bit longer than most skiis but certainly not as wide. Or, maybe find a ski transport bag, lightest you can find?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @cwalden, I used a pool noodle to get my walking stick home. Purchased in SdC.

Hole was a bit tight. Had to cut it in half but worked a treat. Then checked it in at the airport in Madrid.

Buen Camino

I understand your attachment to your staff. On my first Camino I took, in a cardboard tube on the airplane, my "third leg", an old straight aluminum ski pole that had helped me over hundreds of miles of Alaska's mountains. I left it laying against the cafe counter in the Atocha Estacion and remembered it just as the train started its gentle departure. Luckily, I bought a beautiful bamboo pole in the Pasaje albergue. I still have it but now use one collapsible Black Diamond carbon fiber trekking pole. It is very light and most of the time on a Camino it is folded and in my backpack pocket. My point is, it is less of a hassle and much less likely to be left at a cafe counter. Buen Camino
And the collapsible pole will fit into a mailing tube. (This would be your one checked bag/item, of course if your pack is going into the overhead bin.) Ours went into the mailing tube (bought from office supply in a 2-pack) and each pole pretty much consumed the whole tube.
Aviso: on arrival the mailing tubes and the skis and such will be the *very* last items that come through on the belt. You will want to allow for the time in the plans for leaving the airport and proceeding out of town.
:)

Learn proper bathroom protocol on the Camino and share this info with other pilgrims.
I've skim read your responses and not read my suggestion.
How about a corregated cardboard tube formally used for fluorescent light tubes.
I used one to transport my staff and, prior to use printed flight details (Airport codes date etc.
I stuck them to either end of the tube and it got to Bilbao safely.

I've tried various ways but nothing has worked consistently . . . Until I went to a UPS package store, bought a box 4 X 4 X 56 inches and some bubble wrap. I encircled the walking stick with the bubble wrap until it was a tight fit in the box, including the 2 ends. Then I attached name and address labels on the side of the box. Then I taped the ends tight. I checked the box as a piece of luggage at the airport. When I arrived in Madrid, I got my pole out, sealed the box and sent it to Ivar in Santiago. After arriving in Santiago, I claimed the box, re-wrapped the pole, and brought it home. I saved the box and have used it for 3 Caminos and a trip to Utah. Or you could get a box at Correos. Make sure the total dimensions comply with the airline rules. Or you can use PVC piping instead of a box. Although my experience has been better with the box than the piping. Buen Camino!

Any supermarket, fishmonger, greengrocer, China bazar will put boxes on the pavement - i always pick up some of them to package up my poles and pocketknife. Cost: a roll of tape

If you’re particularily fond of the tube, you can mail it empty to Santiago from wherever you start. Then just pick up the tube when you need it.

A pole collapsed in your backpack is a no no on a flight ( in the cabin) ! I had to leave mine at the airport in Santiago. Next camino I already had two steel knies so I was allowed to take one into the cabin in my rucksack and was told that next time a paper from my doctor is needed. !

Yes, I always check a bag with my collapsed poles, my umbrella, my very small folding knife and a small, light scissors. Also, some clothing so my carry on backpack is small and light. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Send the container to your end destination, I read that you can do that with luggage

I've tried various ways but nothing has worked consistently . . . Until I went to a UPS package store, bought a box 4 X 4 X 56 inches and some bubble wrap. I encircled the walking stick with the bubble wrap until it was a tight fit in the box, including the 2 ends. Then I attached name and address labels on the side of the box. Then I taped the ends tight. I checked the box as a piece of luggage at the airport. When I arrived in Madrid, I got my pole out, sealed the box and sent it to Ivar in Santiago. After arriving in Santiago, I claimed the box, re-wrapped the pole, and brought it home. I saved the box and have used it for 3 Caminos and a trip to Utah. Or you could get a box at Correos. Make sure the total dimensions comply with the airline rules. Or you can use PVC piping instead of a box. Although my experience has been better with the box than the piping. Buen Camino!

Excellent information. I never thought about sending it to Ivar in Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I've been looking at this particular collapsible umbrella but am concerned that it's shorter handle would interfere with a hands-free application. I'd like to hear from people who have experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.