• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need Information about No RENFE Train Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama Hiker

2xCertified Peregrino
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct2013&Apr2022 C.Frances
Oct2024 C.Primitivo
Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon) on October 14. RENFE list service on other routes, but nothing about service to LEON. I need thoughtful information. Thank you.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I hate the Renfe site lol. On my computer it wouldn't give me any scheduling after this week despite clicking on the correct date on the calendar maybe due to my adblockers, but on phone it lists several options of Madrid to Oviedo on October 14, starting at 6:49am. The drop down menu for locations did not list either Leon or Oviedo, but typing the name gave me the correct options.

For scheduling the site assumes you want a return ticket and the option for one way is found on the calendar pop up.

If all else fails, the friendly people at the train station will help you purchase your tickets.

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon) on October 14. RENFE list service on other routes, but nothing about service to LEON. I need thoughtful information. Thank you.
Look on Trainline, they are listed there throughout October.

The RENFE website is a shambles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hate the Renfe site lol. On my computer it wouldn't give me any scheduling after this week despite clicking on the correct date on the calendar maybe due to my adblockers, but on phone it lists several options of Madrid to Oviedo on October 14, starting at 6:49am. The drop down menu for locations did not list either Leon or Oviedo, but typing the name gave me the correct options.

For scheduling the site assumes you want a return ticket and the option for one way is found on the calendar pop up.

If all else fails, the friendly people at the train station will help you purchase your tickets.
K Lynn: Thanks for the effort, but you didn't address my question. I already tried to buy tickets. FYI, waiting to buy tickets in Spain at the Station (and you have to know the correct station to go to by the way) is not a good idea or suggestio as many trains sell out early. Last Camino I had to buy Premiem First Class tickets as that was the only open seats trying to get to Pamplona and it was over $100 Euros to just to get to Zaragoza for a connecting train. Buen Camino.

Look on Trainline, they are listed there throughout October.

The RENFE website is a shambles.
HenrytheDog: I tried Trainline.com - but it shows the exact same results as the RENFE website with no train service from MAD to OVD for any dates after Oct. 9. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Deutsche bundesbahn app DB Navigator is showing trains for that date. So is Trainline. Clear your cookies , don't use a VPN and it should work on phone or computer. I suggest you ask for Madrid (any) and Oviedo rather than using abbreviations.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I found 4 fares on the Oct 9 proper; perhaps its doing the schedules roughly 30 days or less prior to?

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
The Deutsche bundesbahn app DB Navigator is showing trains for that date. So is Trainline. Clear your cookies , don't use a VPN and it should work on phone or computer. I suggest you ask for Madrid (any) and Oviedo rather than using abbreviations.
Barbara: Since you sound like you can access the trains on RENFE, Please let me know what the current price is in Euros for the OCT. 14 train from Madrid (Todas) to Oviedo departing at 14:58 (this should be AVE 05721 departing from the Chamartin station). Thank you.

and tons of fares for Oct 9 and after on Trainline
CWBuff: Since you sound like you can access the RENFE trains on Trainline.com, Please let me know what the current price is in Euros for the OCT. 14 train from Madrid (Todas) to Oviedo departing at 14:58 (this should be AVE 05721 departing from the Chamartin station). Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
CWBuff: Since you sound like you can access the RENFE trains on Trainline.com, Please let me know what the current price is in Euros for the OCT. 14 train from Madrid (Todas) to Oviedo departing at 14:58 (this should be AVE 05721 departing from the Chamartin station). Thank you.
The train Madrid to Oviedo doesn’t show. Madrid to Leon does, Leon to Oviedo is starting to show but not yet released for sale.

I’m sure you’ve figured it out.

Try again in a few days or weeks.

It's showing sold out on Trainline and temporarily not available on Renfe. Which usually means that bookings are not yet open, as all trains are showing the same. But the train on the 9th same number is 47.47€
Others are much cheaper. I suggest you try again on Saturday.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
dont know about the train you want . Oct 12 9:30 PM Arrives at 5:15 AM 5:15 AM $66.22

K Lynn: Thanks for the effort, but you didn't address my question. I already tried to buy tickets. FYI, waiting to buy tickets in Spain at the Station (and you have to know the correct station to go to by the way) is not a good idea or suggestio as many trains sell out early. Last Camino I had to buy Premiem First Class tickets as that was the only open seats trying to get to Pamplona and it was over $100 Euros to just to get to Zaragoza for a connecting train. Buen Camino.
I must have amazing luck as I usually just walk into a train station with my little list of dates and cities and they book and hand me tickets. Hope you manage to get your tickets! Buen Camino!

I must have amazing luck as I usually just walk into a train station with my little list of dates and cities and they book and hand me tickets.
A few days ago almost all trains from Burgos to Madrid were completely full for the day I wanted to travel and I just managed to get two seats on one of only two ALSA buses that day which were not also completely full. Probably related to the final of La Vuelta taking place that day in Madrid but other special events can also sell out all available seats in advance.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
A few days ago almost all trains from Burgos to Madrid were completely full for the day I wanted to travel and I just managed to get two seats on one of only two ALSA buses that day which were not also completely full. Probably related to the final of La Vuelta taking place that day in Madrid but other special events can also sell out all available seats in advance.
I have been looking at a lot of train and buses this week within Spain (albeit to book in the short term) and the number and trains and buses that have been full has been quite staggering and unprecedented to me and I spend a lot of time here and catch a lot of train and buses! Specifically Alsa and Renfe. Not quite sure the reason!

Peak Camino. University re-start. Grey Fox holiday season. Service frequency reductions because of the works at Chamartin; Ourense and elsewhere??

RENFE’s inability to operate a railway?
Sure, they will all play a role, but when I compare to the exact same period last year and the year before it quite a big change. More than I would expect anyway.

It's showing sold out on Trainline and temporarily not available on Renfe. Which usually means that bookings are not yet open, as all trains are showing the same. But the train on the 9th same number is 47.47€
Others are much cheaper. I suggest you try again on Saturday.
Did you clear your cookies? Thanks for trying and reporting back the same results that I had. Cheers.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
dont know about the train you want . Oct 12 9:30 PM Arrives at 5:15 AM 5:15 AM $66.22
CWB: ?? I spelled out in my message to you the date, time and stations. Hmm? Thanks for trying and reporting back the same results that I had. Cheers.

All Camino Forum Response Helpers: Thanks for jumping on the topic.

For the future to help other inquiring pilgrims, here are the phone numbers to call RENFE direct here in North America. I found the phone numbers on the Spainrail.com website and called to ask about the Madrid to Oviedo train service. The customer rep was just as stumped about not knowing why or when RENFE will open train times and ticket sales.

In the USA +1 (917) 970-1470
In Canada +1 (343) 8831-700

FYI, buying train tickets in advance to a Camino start point city and then the return tickets (ie. Santiago) will help save money, stress and heartache when trying to travel home again. I know of many pilgrims who had difficulty being able to get out of Santiago because of sold out trains. Best wishes to all and Buen Camino.

Looks like the website is “out of office”

IMG_9182.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
RENFE is an entity unto itself when it comes to ticket availability. As a very general rule of thumb, tickets are available 30 days before the date, so try again this weekend.

All Camino Forum Response Helpers: Thanks for jumping on the topic.

For the future to help other inquiring pilgrims, here are the phone numbers to call RENFE direct here in North America. I found the phone numbers on the Spainrail.com website and called to ask about the Madrid to Oviedo train service. The customer rep was just as stumped about not knowing why or when RENFE will open train times and ticket sales.

In the USA +1 (917) 970-1470
In Canada +1 (343) 8831-700

FYI, buying train tickets in advance to a Camino start point city and then the return tickets (ie. Santiago) will help save money, stress and heartache when trying to travel home again. I know of many pilgrims who had difficulty being able to get out of Santiago because of sold out trains. Best wishes to all and Buen Camino.
Just a note!!
October 12 is Hispanic Day,, a National holiday,,, which will mean the trains and buses will be very busy on that Monday,,, many locals will travel to be with family,, and then return home!!
I have used Alsa bus Madrid to and from Oviedo,, and they are good,,, and bookable right now!!

You do know, Bama Hiker, that not everyone on this forum has to cross an ocean to walk a Camino? We are happy to help but we are not travel agents. Please don't sound so cross with us when our efforts don't suit you. Oh, and when you are looking for a train, airport identifiers are rarely useful. Have a happy and relaxed Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You do know, Bama Hiker, that not everyone on this forum has to cross an ocean to walk a Camino? We are happy to help but we are not travel agents. Please don't sound so cross with us when our efforts don't suit you. Oh, and when you are looking for a train, airport identifiers are rarely useful. Have a happy and relaxed Camino.
Barbara: Thank you for trying to be helpful and I apologize if you feel offense by me pointing out you didn't address my question. I have to cross an ocean for my Camino, I have a limited amount of time to walk, and I have limited resources to complete my journey. I was not asking "how" to get to OVD, I was looking to learn what was happening with the rail service from MAD up to Leon and onward to Oviedo. Yes, RENFE, as well as many rail and bus services, also use the same 3 letter designators for cities that the airlines use. It helps the industries to standardize travel and the results with search engines. Thank you again and enjoy the rest of your week.

RENFE is showing plenty of trains, Madrid to Leon 14 October. The website also clearly states that tickets for these services are not yet available for purchase. Same applies to direct trains to Oviedo. Not yet for sale.

Try again in a few days.
Thanks Tincatinker. When planning a Camino back in 2018, Renfe without much notice closed rail service between two towns to do track maintenance that lasted longer than expected. I was hoping to learn if anyone on this thread had any information or knew if there was something happening to stop the service after Oct. 9. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Unfortunately I’ve become too ill to continue—I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? I’m so sad I can’t Go on. I’ll...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back