• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Leon via Train -- How to do it?

Time of past OR future Camino
August-September 2024
First time posting. I leave for my first Camino in less than a month starting from Leon.
The simplicity of a bus from the Madrid airport sounded nice, but it doesn't get in until past 18:00 hours. A train can get me there much sooner and I only have one night in Leon, so that's preferable.
Question is how much time do I need from landing (6:15 am if it's on time) to go through customs and stop at an ATM for euros and then find a way to the train station?
That's another question. Looks like a train leaves from the Madrid Chamartin Clara Comp station at 9:45 am. How do I get from the airport to the train station? There's another one from the same station at 11:45 am.
I do feel quite nervous about getting from walking off the plane to my stay in Leon, any details on how to do that would be greatly appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
IIRC the train station is underneath the airport. At least one of the platforms is..

somebody will be along shortly to confirm or riddicule my response :)

I'm certain it's the train station I used though

Madrid has a good metro system. 9.45 should be no problem. The metro staff are friendly and helpful. There’ll be ATMs in the station and in Léon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can take the Cercanias C10 or C1 commuter train from the airport to Chamartin directly and either get euros at an ATM at the airport or there are 4 banks just outside the south end of Chamartin. I’m going to Leon from Madrid in September and doing the same thing myself.IMG_9317.jpeg

Hi, @1BreathAtATime,

Welcome to the forum! Your forum name is good advice for anyone, but especially first time pilgrims! The travel part may add a bit of anxiety, but public transportation in Spain in great, and your journey is quite direct and uncomplicated.

First question — which terminal do you arrive in? If you are on Iberia or a partner, you will arrive in T4. From there, you will go downstairs and get on a Cercanías train (the commuter line), which will take you in 12 minutes to Chamartín train station. These trains run every 15 minutes, I believe.

If you are on another airline, it will be a bit more complicated. You will have to take the intra-airport bus over to T4. If you can say at least the words “Cercanías” and “Chamartín”, someone will help you get there.

@dick bird is right that Madrid has an excellent metro system, but I would not recommend it for getting from the airport to Chamartín. For one thing the Madrid metro lines around the airport are a favorite hangout for pickpockets. I have never seen or heard of a pickpocket on the Cercanías line (though I’m sure it does happen, it is not likely to be an issue for you).

Familiarize yourself with the Cercanías logo, which you will see on the arrivals level in T4. It’s an escalator ride down a flight, where there are machines, and in my experience, always a few real live people to help you out.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions. Once you are in León, it’s an easy straight shot walk up to the cathedral and the historic center.

IMG_1865.jpeg

If you are short on time take a taxi! It is 30-35? euros flat rate, including bags. It will take 20 minutes to the station. Be aware that Luggage will be scanned at the train station, so any larger knives, e.g., will be confiscated.

I have done this numerous times. If you arrive on time, barring an unusual circumstances, you won’t likely have a problem.

Now, I will admit that I always have a backup plan. So I buy two tickets with insurance.
So I can cancel either train. If I arrive on time, as soon as I get through customs, and know I have plenty of time to catch the first train, I cancel the second one. If, my plane gets delayed leaving from home or I arrive and there is some delay at the airport, I cancel the first reservation. If my flight gets wiped out, I cancel both trains.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Btw, trains do sellout. And they usually get more expensive the closer to departure time you purchase them. Unlike other parts of Europe one needs a reservation, no standing allowed.

Sometimes depending on the class of your ticket, you get the Cercanías train ticket to the station for free. If you buy the train ticket in advance look for the words Cercanías Combinado. This means you use a qr code to access the Cercanías platform up to 3 hours before your train trivandrum ride to the train station for free. Here is info.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, @1BreathAtATime,

Welcome to the forum! Your forum name is good advice for anyone, but especially first time pilgrims! The travel part may add a bit of anxiety, but public transportation in Spain in great, and your journey is quite direct and uncomplicated.

First question — which terminal do you arrive in? If you are on Iberia or a partner, you will arrive in T4. From there, you will go downstairs and get on a Cercanías train (the commuter line), which will take you in 12 minutes to Chamartín train station. These trains run every 15 minutes, I believe.

If you are on another airline, it will be a bit more complicated. You will have to take the intra-airport bus over to T4. If you can say at least the words “Cercanías” and “Chamartín”, someone will help you get there.

@dick bird is right that Madrid has an excellent metro system, but I would not recommend it for getting from the airport to Chamartín. For one thing the Madrid metro lines around the airport are a favorite hangout for pickpockets. I have never seen or heard of a pickpocket on the Cercanías line (though I’m sure it does happen, it is not likely to be an issue for you).

Familiarize yourself with the Cercanías logo, which you will see on the arrivals level in T4. It’s an escalator ride down a flight, where there are machines, and in my experience, always a few real live people to help you out.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions. Once you are in León, it’s an easy straight shot walk up to the cathedral and the historic center.

View attachment 175178
Thank you for the welcome and info. These are the kind of details that really really help me feel a bit more at ease. Seriously, thank you!
I do arrive in T4 on American Airlines from North Caroline--at least that what their website says. Since I'll be traveling into the country from the states, I'm thinking customs first. No idea how long that will take. Maybe allow an hour?

If you are short on time take a taxi! It is 30-35? euros flat rate, including bags. It will take 20 minutes to the station. Be aware that Luggage will be scanned at the train station, so any larger knives, e.g., will be confiscated.

I have done this numerous times. If you arrive on time, barring an unusual circumstances, you won’t likely have a problem.

Now, I will admit that I always have a backup plan. So I buy two tickets with insurance.
So I can cancel either train. If I arrive on time, as soon as I get through customs, and know I have plenty of time to catch the first train, I cancel the second one. If, my plane gets delayed leaving from home or I arrive and there is some delay at the airport, I cancel the first reservation. If my flight gets wiped out, I cancel both trains.
Great idea to book two with insurance; I'll look into that option.

I do arrive in T4 on American Airlines from North Caroline--at least that what their website says. Since I'll be traveling into the country from the states, I'm thinking customs first. No idea how long that will take. Maybe allow an hour?
I LOVE that AA flight from Charlotte and try to take it when I can, because it is scheduled to get you there at 6:15 a.m. In my experience, immigration will not be busy at that time, but you never know. I’ve posted this before from my 2022 journal. It’s not necessarily going to be what you experience, but maybe you’ll be lucky too. 40 minutes from getting off the plane to arriving at the train station and sitting down with a café con leche.

I got off the plane at 6:35 and by 7:15 I had been through immigration, taken the train to the main terminal T4, gone through the vaccination check, taken the commuter train to the Chamartin train station, and was drinking my first cafe con leche.

I went through Charlotte this year too and made a one hour connection to a flight to Málaga. My checked duffel bag didn’t make it to Málaga, which once again made me so glad I had carried on my pack. All I had to replace were hiking poles, which I could easily do in Málaga, and the bag wound up in Santiago at Casa Ivar, so I picked it up when I got there!

A few more things to add —T4 also has a satellite terminal, T4S, which his where you will actually arrive and go through immigration. From there you will take a train from T4S to T4 and that is where the Cercanías line is. That train takes about 4 minutes and comes every few minutes, extremely regular service.

And I always tell people that when they leave immigration and are heading down to the train, take the elevator. The escalator is at least three flights, and the elevator is much quicker if you are on a tight schedule.

Yes, it sometimes depends on how many customs agents are available, too. I would say 2 hours to clear customs and hope for less. It takes about 20 or 30inutes by Cercanías train to get from the airport to the train station. The line at passport control is usually the hangup for me. There may be one agent or many checking passports. Customs if you are not waiting on a bag is usually just walking through a few doors. Occasionally you will be questioned, but with only a backpack it isn't usually an issue. My husband has most often been selected for "special" screening on travel. I tell him there's a bald 73 year old out there that looks like him that they are searching for...

And FYI, the train station won't post your track and may not allow you into the secure area until shortly before boarding. Basically at Chamartín there's very few places to sit and wait so I would not arrive too early for your train...Last time I was there a big remodeling job was underway so I hope things have improved.

Yes, it sometimes depends on how many customs agents are available, too. I would say 2 hours to clear customs and hope for less. It takes about 20 or 30inutes by Cercanías train to get from the airport to the train station. The line at passport control is usually the hangup for me. There may be one agent or many checking passports. Customs if you are not waiting on a bag is usually just walking through a few doors. Occasionally you will be questioned, but with only a backpack it isn't usually an issue. My husband has most often been selected for "special" screening on travel. I tell him there's a bald 73 year old out there that looks like him that they are searching for...

And FYI, the train station won't post your track and may not allow you into the secure area until shortly before boarding. Basically at Chamartín there's very few places to sit and wait so I would not arrive too early for your train...Last time I was there a big remodeling job was underway so I hope things have improved.
If your train offers it and you pay more for the “Premium” ticket or I think the “Elige Confort” with the add-on you can access the lounge at Chamartin. It’s quiet, has free food and drink 🍺 ☕🥤, the departures are on a screen in front of you, and its close to the departure gates. Best upgrade I’ve ever paid, especially after a long flight into Madrid.
Chamartin can be a bit of a zoo by the gates and the lounge is a quiet oasis…

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Charmartin... You should have no problems but, just be aware that there are major building works going on in and around Charmartin (won't be ready for another 4 or 5 years and is supposed to be the largest station hub in Europe when finished).
I think I would probably go by cercanias if you can. You'll appear in the station itself and not be in a taxi going round and around. I passed through a few weeks ago by taxi and never seemed to get to the drop off point.
But don't worry, you'll be fine. Buen camino

Did the same journey last month. As has been said, train from terminal 4 takes you to Chamartin and is included in some train tickets to Leon. Easy journey with little stress. Good luck!

Sometimes depending on the class of your ticket, you get the Cercanías train ticket to the station for free. If you buy the train ticket in advance look for the words Cercanías Combinado. This means you use a qr code to access the Cercanías platform up to 3 hours before your train trivandrum ride to the train station for free. Here is info.
Thanks for this great information. I wished I knew about this last May.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So helpful! Thank you, @J Willhaus !

I LOVE that AA flight from Charlotte and try to take it when I can, because it is scheduled to get you there at 6:15 a.m. In my experience, immigration will not be busy at that time, but you never know. I’ve posted this before from my 2022 journal. It’s not necessarily going to be what you experience, but maybe you’ll be lucky too. 40 minutes from getting off the plane to arriving at the train station and sitting down with a café con leche.

I got off the plane at 6:35 and by 7:15 I had been through immigration, taken the train to the main terminal T4, gone through the vaccination check, taken the commuter train to the Chamartin train station, and was drinking my first cafe con leche.

I went through Charlotte this year too and made a one hour connection to a flight to Málaga. My checked duffel bag didn’t make it to Málaga, which once again made me so glad I had carried on my pack. All I had to replace were hiking poles, which I could easily do in Málaga, and the bag wound up in Santiago at Casa Ivar, so I picked it up when I got there!

A few more things to add —T4 also has a satellite terminal, T4S, which his where you will actually arrive and go through immigration. From there you will take a train from T4S to T4 and that is where the Cercanías line is. That train takes about 4 minutes and comes every few minutes, extremely regular service.

And I always tell people that when they leave immigration and are heading down to the train, take the elevator. The escalator is at least three flights, and the elevator is much quicker if you are on a tight schedule.
40 minutes!!! Wow! I cannot thank you enough for all the details you provided. How great that you even know about this particular flight :)) I'm already feeling *way* calmer now. Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
First time posting. I leave for my first Camino in less than a month starting from Leon.
The simplicity of a bus from the Madrid airport sounded nice, but it doesn't get in until past 18:00 hours. A train can get me there much sooner and I only have one night in Leon, so that's preferable.
Question is how much time do I need from landing (6:15 am if it's on time) to go through customs and stop at an ATM for euros and then find a way to the train station?
That's another question. Looks like a train leaves from the Madrid Chamartin Clara Comp station at 9:45 am. How do I get from the airport to the train station? There's another one from the same station at 11:45 am.
I do feel quite nervous about getting from walking off the plane to my stay in Leon, any details on how to do that would be greatly appreciated.
Do early booking the taxi if take flight to Leon, especially if you reached Leon airport at night. The airport is quite far from central Leon and was quite at night.

I believe the flat rate taxi does not apply to being taken to the train stations. When we have needed to use a taxi we had it drop us at a nearby address to get the flat rate. The rate is 33 Euros according to esmadrid.com
Just FYI- we have arrived at the airport in Madrid at 6AM and were through customs in mere minutes. The last time we arrived at 6AM we came in with 8 other flights and there were only two customs agents- one for EU and one for international- it took about two hours. Have a backup plan.

That sounds interesting! What kind of insurance are you able to do that with?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I read a post on this thread saying that luggage will be scanned for the train — will hiking poles (with points) be ok?

Will the construction in the Charmartin train area make it longer to get there by either Cercanias or metro?

One other question: is there anywhere to buy hiking poles near the Charmartin train station in Madrid?

Thanks!

Will the construction in the Charmartin train area make it longer to get there by either Cercanias or metro?
Cercanías lines between the airport and Chamartín are not operating between now and early October. See this thread.

One other question: is there anywhere to buy hiking poles near the Charmartin train station in Madrid?

Thanks!

If by “near” you mean walking distance, I’m pretty sure the answer is no. There are several stores, Decathlon City and Deportes Tornal Moya, within 4 or 5 kms, which would be a reasonable cab ride out and back.

Thanks!
Luggage will be scanned, poles are OK. There are several Decathlon stores in Madrid, but not very close to the station. You may have to take a metro. I don't have any first hand knowledge of delays due to the Chamartin station construction.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I'm currently on the Ingles, in Neda, & thought I would post with the state of play. 1stly , if your flying into A Coruna, & starting at Ferrol, it's an easy transfer. I got a bus from the...
So I was able to book our train from Santiago back to Madria this morning through Renfe! (Yay!) My question is once I finished and printed out the tickets I noticed that on one of the tickets it...
I’m trying to find the easiest way to get to Bayonne via train from Charles de Gaul airport. I arrive in Paris at 7:30 AM. October 21. Need to be at SJDP by evening. Would you recommend I get...
Hi, for several years I have posted about buying two tickets on renfe and then canceling the one ticket I did not need in time to get a refund (used to be an hour before departure). This was all...
My husband and I will begin our first Camino in three weeks. To accommodate the time we have available, we would like to start in Rates. We are thinking we could take the train from Porto to Povoa...
Hello! After finishing the camino by bicycle and riding to Finisterre, is it possible to return by bus (with my bike)? Thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back