• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last Minute Shoe help

lerubo2024

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
Hi all! I know shoes are discussed quite a bit here but I have a last minute question as I head out on the Camino Frances next Sunday.

I have a weaker ankle so I purchase the Oboz Sapphire Mid Waterproof. I have hiked in them a handful of times and they were okay, but today doing 8km they caused more ankle pain.

On the other hand I have Hoka Transporta that I wear quite frequently to walk and just do life in and while they don’t provide the ankle support my feet are used to them. However they are not waterproof.

I am nervous about the pain that the Oboz caused but they seem the more “correct” choice. Would love the thoughts of anyone who has experience on Camino Frances as to how much I prioritize the waterproof nature of the one and made for hiking over the Hoka transport.

Thanks!

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unless you just want to start in SJPP you could start in Pamplona and probably make it to Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unless you just want to start in SJPP you could start in Pamplona and probably make it to Santiago.
I had considered that… have heard the first stretch is worth seeing, but open to advice if you have any.

As an “achiever” it is nice in some respects not having the pressure to reach Santiago by a certain date… but again open to perspectives from experiences pilgrims!

I had considered that… have heard the first stretch is worth seeing, but open to advice if you have any.

As an “achiever” it is nice in some respects not having the pressure to reach Santiago by a certain date… but again open to perspectives from experiences pilgrims!
You know what's best for you. Santiago will still be there when you return. Pyrenees are beautiful, are you planning to go from SJPP to Roncesvalles? Do you have a reservation in Roncesvalles? Same for Orisson if you plan to do it in 2 days, both are almost always booked up in advance. Be careful coming down to Zubiri, the Dragons Teeth can be slippery, especially if they're wet. You'll understand the name when you get to them. If you have time, I found the Triacastela-Samos-Sarria option to be quite nice. Samos is somewhat forgettable, the monastery is OK but there's not much else. The route in and out is beautiful. We did it in 2 days to take a walking rest (short) day. Skipping Sarria and going on to Barbadello could be an option to miss the people who begin in Sarria. Also, coming out of Villafranca, the Pradela alto route is quiet and beautiful...it's also steep for a while but worth it. Enjoy every step!

I agree - pure comfort while walking is the most important factor. You may want to get a new pair of the Hoka shoe to use on your Camino, as their life span will not be as long as hiking boots. Try to wear them at home for a 10 km walk to check that there is no manufacturer defect or difference from the ones you know. Otherwise, they should be good to go right away, as modern synthetic walking/running shoes should not need breaking in.

I would not even consider waterproof shoes for June-July, as they may be too hot.

The actual value of "ankle support" provided by typical hiking boots is widely debated.

Learn proper bathroom protocol on the Camino and share this info with other pilgrims.
Hi all! I know shoes are discussed quite a bit here but I have a last minute question as I head out on the Camino Frances next Sunday.

I have a weaker ankle so I purchase the Oboz Sapphire Mid Waterproof. I have hiked in them a handful of times and they were okay, but today doing 8km they caused more ankle pain.

On the other hand I have Hoka Transporta that I wear quite frequently to walk and just do life in and while they don’t provide the ankle support my feet are used to them. However they are not waterproof.

I am nervous about the pain that the Oboz caused but they seem the more “correct” choice. Would love the thoughts of anyone who has experience on Camino Frances as to how much I prioritize the waterproof nature of the one and made for hiking over the Hoka transport.

Thanks!
Waterproof boots on the Camino Frances in summer offer no benefit to counter the weight and sweaty socks consequence.

Just wear what you and your feet are used to. It’s only a walk. On the few and occasional bits of rough terrain just go slowly. Camino is not a race and the Apostle isn’t going anywhere. Take your time; be comfortable. If you have an ankle that might cause you problems then you have a small amount of time in which to learn to use trekking poles properly. They will offer far more support than a high cut boot

On the other hand I have Hoka Transporta that I wear quite frequently to walk and just do life in and while they don’t provide the ankle support my feet are used to them.
No need to look any further.

- pure comfort while walking is the most important factor. You may want to get a new pair of the Hoka shoe to use on your Camino, as their life span will not be as long as hiking boots. Try to wear them at home for a 10 km walk to check that there is no manufacturer defect or difference from the ones you know.
Take @C clearly ‘s advice. You have been given some great advice by everyone above … no need to spend more money which could actually give you discomfort.

@C clearly is 100% right ( as usual!).

Comfort is King, especially when it comes to shoes. Your shoes will dry quickly should they get wet, waterproofing in June /July is a negative not an advantage as it will likely cause your feet to both swell and sweat more, potentially leading to blisters.

Get a new pair of exactly the same shoes as advised. However do remember to go at least a half size bigger, (many of us go up a full size) - it is highly likely that your feet will swell. By all means consider taking some kind of brace as additional ankle support. Perhaps consult a professional for this? Despite currently having a broken ankle, this is not my area of expertise!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Incidentally I have not walked the Frances, however many seem to suggest breaking that first day to Roncesvalles by stopping at Orison. With your potential ankle issue that might be a very good idea. You will need to book now though, assuming it's not already booked out. And in the circumstances should it be raining perhaps consider walking down the road rather than the 'dragon's teeth'!

Hopefully you are hiking with poles, and know how to use them! Especially with weak ankles, they can be a lifesaver.

Wearing comfortable shoes is of the utmost importance as others have said.

FWIW I have walked the CF in trail runners and normal road running type also. Every step my feet were thanking me for not lugging extra weight per step. That said if you told me you had comfortable boots.. then I wouldn't second guess your choice as long as you were used to them

Try and get at least Roncesvalles booked

Thanks!
I just returned from the full Frances, SJPDP-Santiago. I do a lot of hiking on steep slopes (and also trail running) here in Colorado, and have a weak ankle from past sport injuries. I chose betwwen Hoka trail runner and Solomon boot for the Frances. I'm very glad I chose the boot because Frances has a number of sections with very steep grade and scree (loose rock) (didnt read about this in any pretrip research). This would have been very difficult on my ankle in a low cut shoe; a mis-step could have ended my trip. For additional protection I also wrapped my ankle daily with an Ace elastic bandage. That said, I would not hike in a shoe or boot that causes pain, so maybe you need a 3rd alternative?
The Frances had a lot of rain in Apr-May so my waterproof boots helped, but in my judgement this trail would not ordinarily require consideration for waterproof shoes.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have to agree with all those who say waterproof is meaningless in summer. Your feet are going to sweat even more than normally. Nothing good can come of this. The least of your worries is smelly feet.
You may want to get a new pair of the Hoka shoe to use on your Camino, as their life span will not be as long as hiking boots. Try to wear them at home for a 10 km walk to check that there is no manufacturer defect or difference from the ones you know. Otherwise, they should be good to go right away, as modern synthetic walking/running shoes should not need breaking in.

I would not even consider waterproof shoes for June-July, as they may be too hot.
I have a pair of Hokas. My wife has knee problems and she would shoot someone who would try to take her Hokas. They are light and so comfortable and have lots of padding to protect you from those harsh pointy camino rocks. I have been wearing Brooks Cascadias for years and love them but I know Hokas are more popular. I would say from my own experience the Cascadias are more durable and have a longer life but that is only the experience of me. @C clearly is right you can wear trail runners right out of the box. I too walk once or twice for 5 or 6 k with my new cascadias then I wear them full time and walk about 1000K on each camino.

the Cascadias are more durable and have a longer life
Cascadias are trail runners, which I think are more durable than regular runners. I am forced to wear regular runners because, inexpicably, few trail runners come in a wide width. Regular road running shoes don't seem to last as long as trail runners.

The panoramic views of the Pyrennes are the reasons I started my Camino Frances (2022, 2023) from SJPdP. To me, they are majestic. And the experience going up and down it, is, for lack of better description, "breath-taking."

If you do your Camino nice, comfortable and enjoyable, you will definitely do wonderfully. Of my two Frances, I used ankles supports. Spending $20-$35 to protect my ankles and help ensure a safer walk along rolling gravel roads, uneven uphill and downhill with loose rocks and muddy trails, contributed to a more successful completion of my pilgrimage, thus a worthwile investment. What you do not want is, you need an ankle brace along The Way because you feel your ankles complaining, and you do not have it.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Cascadias are trail runners, which I think are more durable than regular runners. I am forced to wear regular runners because, inexpicably, few trail runners come in a wide width. Regular road running shoes don't seem to last as long as trail runners.
You can get Cascadias in 2wide and they may have a 4 wide. I have been doing my daily walks in the Cascadias I wore on my Camino last year. I know they are wearing down but I will try to keep wearing them until I leave for Spain in October. My new Cascadias are waiting for me when I go to New York at the end of the month.

Thanks!
These are the first pair I settled on, adidas free hiker 2. They are about $80 and have a built in ankle support on them. Very comfortable, breathable, and waterproof.

Attachments

• IMG_1459.jpeg
    IMG_1459.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
Added to this I have found the trail runners are not good if you are walking on very hard surfaces / tarmac a lot. The lugs seem to cause discomfort rather than the bounce you get ( and lose as you go ) with normal road runners

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@C clearly Pretty sure Brooks provide wide fitting Trail running shoes.. The cascadia-16 is iconic and great for all terrain, the cascadia-17 has regressed slightly.

I stand corrected! The Cascadias even come in a EE for women, which is unusual
I know this is getting off topic. But I do love my Hokas for day to day. I was so close to wearing them on a camino a few years ago. Then I slapped myself across the face and came to my senses. I have not had a blister in 8 years or even a hint of problems with my Cascadias, why would I ever change???!!!!
Not alot of us wear Cascadias but I have seen them mentioned in the many shoe threads and only remember one negative comment.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You know what's best for you. Santiago will still be there when you return. Pyrenees are beautiful, are you planning to go from SJPP to Roncesvalles? Do you have a reservation in Roncesvalles? Same for Orisson if you plan to do it in 2 days, both are almost always booked up in advance. Be careful coming down to Zubiri, the Dragons Teeth can be slippery, especially if they're wet. You'll understand the name when you get to them. If you have time, I found the Triacastela-Samos-Sarria option to be quite nice. Samos is somewhat forgettable, the monastery is OK but there's not much else. The route in and out is beautiful. We did it in 2 days to take a walking rest (short) day. Skipping Sarria and going on to Barbadello could be an option to miss the people who begin in Sarria. Also, coming out of Villafranca, the Pradela alto route is quiet and beautiful...it's also steep for a while but worth it. Enjoy every step!
Sorry for the delay... thank you so much for these helpful hints, I am writing them down to remember them! I am actually getting into SJPP around noon so I booked Ferme Ithurbia in Hunto and then have a shorter second day to Burgette where I also have a booking!

Most read last week in this forum

Perhaps does not totally relates to Camino (although I can see some Pilgrims using them on mountainous paths) Does anyone know if crampons are OK to take in carry-on or, like most poles, they...
I have perused many well written posts regarding clothing and equipment, I agree...adapt...and adopt many. It is with concern I notice 'the maximum conditions associated to the clothing...
I've been looking at this particular collapsible umbrella but am concerned that it's shorter handle would interfere with a hands-free application. I'd like to hear from people who have experience...
Camino Credential is that with stamps or without

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.