• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF… So strange… any explanation?

CroPilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting from SJDP in June
Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small church was open so I entered for a rest and a prayer. There was a pilgrim girl inside lighting a candle and puting coins in for it. Three minutes later as I started praying in silence an old woman from the next door house comes in and tells us to leave (spanish speaking only). Asked why? She just waved her hands for us to leave… tought she has to close or something… left and I looked behind, she just exited the church and entered her home. Church door still open.
What the hell is up with that?! Kicking pilgrims out of the church?!

Attachments

• IMG_4104.png
    IMG_4104.png
    376.4 KB · Views: 6,041
  • IMG_4103.jpeg
    IMG_4103.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 81
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The complexities of human behavior often defy a straightforward explanation. Sometimes events occur beyond the realm of rational understanding. Allow this to serve as a reminder that personal detachment can be a valuable approach when faced with similar situations. I try to remember that the situation is not about me, but it is about what is going on in the life of the "other".
What is important now is to embrace a forward-looking perspective and adopt a forgiving stance. It will not only facilitate personal growth but will also allow one to navigate life's unpredictable journey with grace and resilience.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small church was open so I entered for a rest and a prayer. There was a pilgrim girl inside lighting a candle and puting coins in for it. Three minutes later as I started praying in silence an old woman from the next door house comes in and tells us to leave (spanish speaking only). Asked why? She just waved her hands for us to leave… tought she has to close or something… left and I looked behind, she just exited the church and entered her home. Church door still open.
What the hell is up with that?! Kicking pilgrims out of the church?!
i am sure there was a reason. it's a shame we do not know what it was. let's give her the benefit of the doubt and assume there was a valid reason for asking you to leave.

The mystery of the human mind indeed....
As many suggested, I am sure there was a plausible reason for her to do that
Thank said, a little courtesy as we all know it can go a long way. You already have been asked (and based on the OP's post - I presume in your native language) . one or tow words of explanation would've done it.
if could've resulted in
- gracias​
- de nada! buen Camino​

(and what a wonderful world it would be!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Based on timing: you were being asked to leave so they could set up for noon mass.
Some places or people would have invited you to stay for mass.
If you aren't fluent in Spanish, you could have missed an invitation to return for the mass.
I was just in that church about 2 weeks ago and we were free to stay as long as we wanted (it was around 2pm IIRC).
And yes, someone does have to close up a church at some point (usually after the final mass of the day around 5pm).

I hope there was a valid reason. I don’t have a clue what it could be since she didn’t close the church or anything… prepping for the noon mass is to early at 11:15, altar that size takes about 3 min to prep…(elements already there) but ok… it was what it was… let’s continue along the Way… 🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maybe she is just a jerk. They exist everywhere.
This isn't a very constructive reply to a sensible question. Best to keep comments like that to yourself as I'm sure the woman had a good reason even tho she seemed impatient. Different nationalties, different ways of expressing themselves.

This isn't a very constructive reply to a sensible question. Best to keep comments like that to yourself as I'm sure the woman had a good reason even tho she seemed impatient. Different nationalties, different ways of expressing themselves.
I’m sorry you took it that way. I think it’s very constructive. If one goes through life getting upset every time their paths cross with a jerk, unnecessary stress occurs. There are plenty of unpleasant people in the world, I’m sure including Spain. When encountering these people, I recommend letting it go and moving on rather than ruminating over their rude behavior. Specifically, maybe this woman doesn’t like pilgrims and is annoyed by us. I would not let that bother me very long. Living a stress free life is important to me and fussing over the behavior of a jerk I happened to encounter.

Another option would have been to refuse to leave. cropilgrim chose to leave which I agree with. Let it go.

You're quite right about letting things go, not holding grudges and not getting stressed. Yes lots of unpleasant people in this world.
However the OP was asking for explanations which others gave him so your comment wasn't constructive - it was just a subjective comment how you perceived the woman to be.
We're all guilty of that at times but this Forum is to help others' queries.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I hope there was a valid reason. I don’t have a clue what it could be since she didn’t close the church or anything… prepping for the noon mass is to early at 11:15, altar that size takes about 3 min to prep…(elements already there) but ok… it was what it was… let’s continue along the Way… 🙏
But you don't know... maybe it was time to vacuum up the gunk from pilgrim boots on the floors, maybe it was time to put new prayer books and other materials on the table and set up parishioner information access... It's not just about the alter.

These churches... they are not tourist stops. They are parishes that happen to be open (luckily, fortunately for us) for local use. In some settings they are owned by the municipality and are no longer consecrated but are the last remnant of a local place for locals to pray and they can't afford to keep them open all day because they've experienced theft and vandalism in too many places that left doors open.

Some of us like to go in and say a prayer and light a candle, but we are doing so on the conditions and ability of those generous enough to keep the places open on very limited resources.

The actual church building and its contents are often the responsibility of the parish ie parishioners. If anything happens to either the church or what is inside, they have to put it right. This may explain why churches in Spain are often kept locked.

However the OP was asking for explanations which others gave him so your comment wasn't constructive - it was just a subjective comment how you perceived the woman to be.

I found that comment fine. It's no more subjective that any of the speculation on noon masses or preventing theft. As pilgrims, the vast majority of time we're met with kindness and generosity and welcome. Many of us are guests in a foreign country so yes, points taken about how we might not always understand local customs and language. Let's be honest about things not going perfectly. We're all human and even Spanish humans have personalities and moods. From my own experience, I poked my head in a local government building, might have been in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. The doors were open and from the street it looked like I might have been able to admire the lobby at least from inside. I asked in halting Spanish if I could visit and the women inside said no and made a shooing motion and I apologized. I got over it but making a shooing motion I found to be rather rude! Uncharacteristically so which might be why I remember it at all. They're so patient and kind with us 99% of the time is the real takeaway. 🥰 Why the post was written, why people are trying to explain what happened. Proceed.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I found that comment fine. It's no more subjective that any of the speculation on noon masses or preventing theft. As pilgrims, the vast majority of time we're met with kindness and generosity and welcome. Many of us are guests in a foreign country so yes, points taken about how we might not always understand local customs and language. Let's be honest about things not going perfectly. We're all human and even Spanish humans have personalities and moods. From my own experience, I poked my head in a local government building, might have been in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. The doors were open and from the street it looked like I might have been able to admire the lobby at least from inside. I asked in halting Spanish if I could visit and the women inside said no and made a shooing motion and I apologized. I got over it but making a shooing motion I found to be rather rude! Uncharacteristically so which might be why I remember it at all. They're so patient and kind with us 99% of the time is the real takeaway. 🥰 Why the post was written, why people are trying to explain what happened. Proceed.
Meh. I think when it's a sort of urgent/sensitive setting (even open-doored government buildings have fairly obvious reasons they would not want random people just traipsing in), the use of a universal "please leave promptly" sign language makes sense. It's not meant to be rude; it's meant to be *clear*. The woman could not read your mind to know your mother tongue. She could grasp that your Spanish wasn't great and that she needed to communicate to you in an immediate way that you were, as you had no business to complete there, trespassing.

CroPilgrim, I don't know if you are a male or female pilgrim, but knowing a little about the minds of village church ladies, my thought is:
She watches who goes in and out of that church.
She saw the pilgrim girl go in.
She saw you go in a little later. (Assuming you are a male pilgrim.)
When no one came out for a few minutes, she decided to "see what was going on."
She found nothing juicy to report.
But just to be safe, and just because she could, she turfed you both out.
Welcome to life in a small town.

Meh. I think when it's a sort of urgent/sensitive setting (even open-doored government buildings have fairly obvious reasons they would not want random people just traipsing in), the use of a universal "please leave promptly" sign language makes sense. It's not meant to be rude; it's meant to be *clear*. The woman could not read your mind to know your mother tongue. She could grasp that your Spanish wasn't great and that she needed to communicate to you in an immediate way that you were, as you had no business to complete there, trespassing.

Ok, yes, it's possible the gesture was added as sign language. The whole interaction was a little more brusk than that but really not a big deal. This was in a village and it looked less sensitive or official than a town hall. I mistook it for a place one might actually be able to tour. I don't typically go barging into places. I'm still open to idea that it wasn't permitted and she that was also in bad mood and didn't want to be bothered.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The complexities of human behavior often defy a straightforward explanation. Sometimes events occur beyond the realm of rational understanding. Allow this to serve as a reminder that personal detachment can be a valuable approach when faced with similar situations. I try to remember that the situation is not about me, but it is about what is going on in the life of the "other".
What is important now is to embrace a forward-looking perspective and adopt a forgiving stance. It will not only facilitate personal growth but will also allow one to navigate life's unpredictable journey with grace and resilience.
Very helpful. Thank You.

Most read last week in this forum

I am an Old School Pilgrim, too set in my ways, I can understand and accept the Cell Phone priorities sweeping today's Pilgrim community back in the good old bad days coin-fed albergue computers...
Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Hi, this might be a strange question but just wandering how much cash should you bring with you on the Camino?? Thanks
Why do they put the kilometer markers where they do, for example 301.1 km, and as 300km was over an hours walk away, are these people messing with my mind
Fellow pilgrims. As an avid walker of various Caminos, I am always fascinated in the experiences of other pilgrims/tourists, and how their planning and experience on pilgrimage was shaped. As an...
Hey everyone, wondering what everyone does for cell service while on the Camino. I am coming from the US and last time I was in EU I got a free mobile plan for cheap but cancelling the plan was a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back