• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there really a waterproof solution

BiggBlue

Robin
Time of past OR future Camino
17 Frances 18 Portuguese,
19 Primitivo 22 Norte
I am convinced that if I ever manage to invent air-conditioned underwear or truly waterproof gear for the Camino that keeps you dry, I will become a millionaire. Today, I walked in heavy rain from about 7 in the morning until about 11. I wore a shower-proof jacket and topped it with my poncho. Within an hour, everything was wet.

If there is a secret to staying warm, I think it involves wearing merino wool next to your skin because it retains heat even when wet. Unfortunately, I didn't have merino wool on today, so I lost heat and felt very chilled by 11 o'clock, in the temperature sense, not the lifestyle sense.

Having done many Caminos, I am still unsure about the best formula for staying dry and warm. Any suggestions are most welcome.🤗

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
When it rains for this long with some intensity there is practically no way to keep dry. Simply because your sweat has no where to go. So even with the best raingear, you will become wet. Period. The trick is wearing clothes that still provide warmth when wet, like merino or polypropylen.

(technically you use an umbrella, i hear good things about it, but that will also only get you so far)

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
It rained every day when I walked Ingles last year at the end of October. I wore a merino tank, light long sleeve shirt and a light merino jacket under my poncho. I bought my poncho from Decathlon (dead cheap!) full sleeves with elastic cuffs, seamed sides and a 1/4 zip that was very easy to put on over my pack. the front of my shirt would often get wet because I have the bad habit of unzipping my poncho to check the map on my phone (worn on a lanyard). I was never too cold while walking or excessively sweaty with the poncho.

On both my Caminos I was frequently chilly the minute I stopped walking. I would take off my poncho, and pull on an ultralight polartech fleece and be toasty in a few minutes. On chilly mornings I wore merino glove liners, they're very thin but worked even in the rain. On my first Camino (september/october) I did buy a pair of hiking pants and a light jacket along the way as I found my leggings were not keeping me warm enough and I hadn't discovered polartech fleece yet lol.

Short answer: layers are always your friend.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Always lots of debate about this.
We wear Merino shirts and very light gortex rain jacket & pants.
It can pour with rain all day and we stay dry….bone dry.

I suspect a lot depends on the quality of the gear.
But maybe also, the amount you sweat.
I always learned to adjust clothing and / or reduce exertion so as not to sweat too much when hiking.

Loosen collars, use layers, adjust headgear, 30% of body heat is lost through the head. If I go fast up a hill, wearing lots of layers, I’m going to sweat a lot….and I might get wet under my jacket. So I don’t and I don’t….

Last edited:
Help keep the Camino clean. Join us in 2025 for the Camino Cleanup Program & Retreat
There is no fully waterproof solution, though as to the feet a good pair of army boots works well.

Some people seem to have no problems with perspiration in a poncho, but really : lucky them, but not all of us are like that.

The solution that works for me to avoid sweat problems is use a cape instead of a poncho, and it wouldn't need to be a traditional one, but really any kind that is open in front to let moisture out but protects your back, head, shoulders, and upper arms.

Apart from that, I saw a YT video recently suggesting that alpaca wool is superior to merino, more breathable and better at keeping rain out.

Something like this ? https://fr.ecualama.eu/collections/...pen-poncho-cape-shawl-blanket-unisex-handmade

Even the best of gear can clog up when constant rain hits, the internal humidity rises and the external layer is waterlogged.
I have an Endura MT 500 (bicycle) jacket (Sco)that has a very high water pressure number and still will get waterlogged in constant rain like yours does....

My merino solution is a 200 grams quality jumper with wool frotté fleece ( Woolpower, Sweden) that will become humid but still retains warming properties....

ps when indoors, I will turn it inside out and the loops will dry out fast and even faster in a bit of sunshine ( when there is any !!)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When you must walk in precipitation,
Exertion will cause some perspiration,
Rainwear will prevent its evaporation,
Hence you will have condensation.
I have found that on occasion,
Adjusting some zippers relieved frustration,
And allowed some controlled aeration
To reduce and control the condensation.

I am convinced that if I ever manage to invent air-conditioned underwear or truly waterproof gear for the Camino that keeps you dry, I will become a millionaire. Today, I walked in heavy rain from about 7 in the morning until about 11. I wore a shower-proof jacket and topped it with my poncho. Within an hour, everything was wet.

If there is a secret to staying warm, I think it involves wearing merino wool next to your skin because it retains heat even when wet. Unfortunately, I didn't have merino wool on today, so I lost heat and felt very chilled by 11 o'clock, in the temperature sense, not the lifestyle sense.

Having done many Caminos, I am still unsure about the best formula for staying dry and warm. Any suggestions are most welcome.🤗
The best gear for wet weather is either a cafe or a bar. Simply do not walk in the rain and you will stay dry.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The best gear for wet weather is either a cafe or a bar. Simply do not walk in the rain and you will stay dry.
It rained on the Invierno all day yesterday. I'd love to hang out in a cafe or bar and wait it out, but all day is too long, and I ain't taking a taxi unless I would be injured.

When you must walk in precipitation,
Exertion will cause some perspiration,
Rainwear will prevent its evaporation,
Hence you will have condensation.
I have found that on occasion,
Adjusting some zippers relieved frustration,
And allowed some controlled aeration
To reduce and control the condensation.
Very clever!

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
Through all the hoops you wil ljump to try to find a solution - hah! - ft chance, consider these two maxims:

1. Being wet and warm is sometimes not bad, and depending on the circumstances, can be very nice indeed.

2. Being cold and wet is NEVER good. It hastens hyperthermia, illness, poor judgment and accidents. Avoid being wet and cold.

I have learned to be as minimally wet as is possible, while maintaining body heat. I concentrate on keeping my head, feet and hands warm, first. The rest of my prodigious corpus is drip dry. Human bodies are like that. They do dry fairly fast when removed from the source of the wetness.

While I may not LIKE being wet to the skin, either through condensation or precipitation, as long as I can regulate my temperature, I know I will be okay. I may be wet and uncomfortable when I arrive at my day's destination, but I will be safe. Besides, that is part of the "charm" of a Camino!

I also found that wearing a baseball type "ball" cap with a visor is superior to any other style headgear when worn under a hood. As I wear eyeglasses, this also keep the "windscreen" relatively clear of water.

Wearing any other hat with an all-around brim will channel water down your back. It will find it's way into your rucksack through the back panel - even if it is covered on the front, and worn under a hiking poncho. Water will always find it's own level.

I hope this helps.

Tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think someone has already mentioned something like this. I'm usually not a proponent of extra stuff but wondering how this partial hoodie/cape could pair with a jacket to moderate getting soaked. Caveat emptor, I live in arid Colorado and haven't had to deal with long lasting rain when backpacking. Just something to deliberate... https://lightheartgear.com/products/hoodie-pack-cover?variant=7912593293364

Yes,
Merino base
Breathable layers
Reduce exertion
Local weather radar
Find a cafe
Consider a half or zero day

Avoid the rainy season(s)?

The guy flying by in light poncho, t and shorts left a lasting impression (as I was ringing the water out of my shorts). Then again, a mate starting uncontrolled shaking, lips turning blue, also left a lasting impression.

I live in Colorado and am in the outdoors a lot, bad weather or good. Got home a couple of weeks ago from the West Highland Way and some English trails. I brought my bomb proof rain jacket and it was completely soaked through in a couple of hours, never had that happen before. I had long days and it was chilly so pretty miserable. I ended up finding an outdoor store and spraying the heck out of it and my boots with waterproofing Nikwax, then taking a blow dryer to it. That got me through the last half of the trip, along with a tiny umbrella.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No rocket science but to simply choose the correct layers and wear them in the correct order. I understand that wearing a jacket under a poncho is essential to try to keep the cold out but if that jacket was replaced with a puffy down jacket or even a vest, it may have made a big difference. Rain jackets do have a place but as the weather cools down, they need to be replaced with warmer options. 😎 Buen Camino!

There is a technical measure for waterproofing which doesn't seem to feature much in this thread.
The much recommended Altus has a 2000 mm schmerber rating and their blurb says this offers maximum protection. My Quechua poncho is rated at 5000 mm and keeps me bone dry. For sailing a Musto jacket offers me a 10000 rating.
Are we sure we are comparing like for like when we extol the virtues of a particular product?

I have only used Frogg Toggs rain jackets on my Caminos and very occasionally used the matching pants. They are inexpensive,very lightweight and have always served me very well. Not sure about its "virtues" because I have not used any other brand nor checked out its mm rating.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wear an Altus in the rain. If I start to sweat, I take my arms out of the sleeves and open the front a tiny bit, similar to post 10. It has worked well for me, even with driving wind.

Sounds kinky.
OK, we are going to “go there”. The best base layer (IMO) for both cold and heat is…fishnets.
Yup. Creates a dead air layer that captures heat, or insulated from heat.
The only drawback is that you look like you’re an extra in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. On the plus side, you’ll probably get a lot of “alone” time on your Camino, lol.

Wearing the poncho on top of the other waterproof jacket maybe what did you in. My son (who spent some years as an infanteer) corrected me on this. The condensation under the poncho builds up fast which is why it’s best to wear something light and wicking underneath, as other posters here have noted. The advantage of a poncho, imo, is you can easily billow it getting rid of hot air and moisture.
The only other thing to do, sadly, is as you sometimes see on “morale” patches, “Embace the Suck”.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, there really is a fully waterproof jacket: Gore Shakedry. It’s breathable, amazingly light, rolls up into a ball the size of your fist, and looks like a black bin liner. But, of course, it’s not a perfect solution: the ultimate waterproof jacket comes at an eye-watering price. More to the point, no backpack should be worn on the biker’s version and only a light pack on the hiker’s. I have both versions, each bought at sale price. Gore does not define ‘light’, but my hiker’s jacket, which is my regular rainwear, remains perfectly waterproof despite some abrasion from a daypack. If it works in Ireland, it will work anywhere, but just watch your back — and beware of briars!

Pays your money, takes your choice.

Just back from Frances (Roncesvalles to Logroño). Walking/scrambling down into Zubiri was the usual difficult 3 or 4 km BUT it was dry and sunny. The next day to Pamplona was everything but... I've lived in Malaysia, I know what monsoons are like but never have I seen rain like day 2 on the Camino. However, I stayed more or less dry - 8.95€ poncho from Decathlon and thanks to the pilgrim cafe after the crossing the river at Zuriain. There must have been about 80 of us sheltering there. The following 4 days were sun, sun and sun. Make an educated guess combined with common sense!

All rain is not created equal. I’ve walked Caminos with intermittent rain that comes straight down and varies in intensity. I usually stay dry with my Altus. This year I had 9 days of intense rain and sleet and 60KMH head winds and the rain would breach anywhere it could. I had Gortex boots on but the tops of my socks got wet and acted like a wick, so the inside of my boots got wet.
I believe of course I could carry my expensive and heavy rain gear from Alaska and gators and stay dry, but the weight isn’t worth it as I just might not need it. We survived and savored the end of the day when we shower and dried out.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am posting this having just completed the Burgos to Ponferrada leg of Camino Frances. This would take my Camino mileage up to around 1,300km over a few shorter trips, so while I would...
Hi everyone 🙂 I have just arrived to Leon to start my walk tomorrow morning. Checked into accom and have found that one of my poles won't tighten when I extend it 😳 They are very basic telescopic...
Hello im Pablo C Vergara - Im in the Film Industry and been on some TV shows and NETFLIX. I just arrived to Madrid and staying at Tres Cantos tonight and intending to travel north to start my...
I am convinced that if I ever manage to invent air-conditioned underwear or truly waterproof gear for the Camino that keeps you dry, I will become a millionaire. Today, I walked in heavy rain from...
Ok, not literally, but kind of they did. The recent thread on the wolf at Cruz de Ferro reminded me of my tenuous link to the Camino involving wolves, and it would be great to hear of other...
There used to be a large scale printable elevation map for each stage of Camino Frances. I hung it on my mom's wall so she could follow my journey. Each stage was almost one sheet of paper. Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.