• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interactive Map

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes there is. For the Spanish caminos look at the bottom of this page. If on a computer you click exactly on a route, you will see the info of each route.
For other countries there are other maps too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@C clearly I used it to create Camino preparation routes at home on my laptop and used it afterward on my Garmin GPSMap64.
Worked fine.
Normally all the Camino's are already on the maps. There are regularly updates.
I think that like all the phone GPS mapping Apps it will drain the battery quicker.
I used it only on the Camino when I was not sure if I still was on the Camino.
Try at home before using it on the Camino to see if your phone last long enough, not every phone is the same.
It is not entirely free if you want more maps.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My favorite and default is Mapy.cz. But for the sake of completeness, I'll add that Gronze.com recently put out their own app for this. And I've had situations in which it displayed more up-to-date info than Mapy.cz.

My favorite and default is Mapy.cz. But for the sake of completeness, I'll add that Gronze.com recently put out their own app for this. And I've had situations in which it displayed more up-to-date info than Mapy.cz.
Do they? What is it called?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you want to make your own google map, use “google my maps” it’s very nice
I did that. I then put in the GPS tracks for Iberian Caminos from the Spanish National Institute for Geography. Then I added albergues, bars and restaurants that had been recommended here on the forums. The result is this Camino map.

For map geeks, creating your own maps on Google and other platforms can be fun, but if you want straightforward maps of the Camino I think that the Camino app developers have done a great job. There's really no need to reinvent the wheel, when it's already been done well. The apps have maps that can be downloaded and used offline without an internet connection.

My two favorite apps are Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
maps.me runs off-line although you have to download and/or update its maps when online. You have to select the area you want to download, and you can delete area you no longer need to save space.

It has more than one source for maps; one of them is Open Street Map. It doesn’t come with Camino routes, but more than one website has them as GPX files, which you can load ito maps.me for display.

You can also have it record your actual path if your device has GPS.

It can also find things for you if online or if they are on a downloaded map.

If online and have GPS, it can give directions for getting to a place, although it tends to make stupid unnecessary detours that lengthen the distance.

I have been using Mapy.cz on my mobile telephone for some time. However I find the battery life has reduced significantly. Has anyone else experienced this?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maps.cz do warn that the battery life will be impacted by the continuous interaction with GPS satellites. Make sure you have downloaded the appropriate maps. Switch your phone to airplane mode. Don’t activate “navigate” just check at any debatable junction where the little blue dot is and you should be fine. Getting lost on most Caminos requires effort

Maps.cz do warn that the battery life will be impacted by the continuous interaction with GPS satellites.
My guess is that the GPS itself won't use that much power. I suspect that much more power is used for the screen display and the mathematical calculations for updating the display.

Here's why I say this. A few days ago I downloaded an app that records a track, that's just about all it does except for displaying a few pieces of information. I closed all my running apps and started that one to record my position once a second. I then locked down my screen and shut off the lock screen to display black. After an hour's walk my power percentage dropped by only 2%. I have not yet done any similar experiments with an app constantly updating its display of position, track and underlying map either with the screen on or off.

The other stuff Tinc mentioned above to save battery is good advice. I don't do it that way but I know it's cost.

Edit: FWIW here's the track recorder app I tested:
Screenshot_20240627-175102.png

Last edited:
@Rick of Rick and Peg that sounds like an interesting way to record a track but not much use if trying to check if you’re “on” track. I find the blue dot useful to check-in at debatable navigation points but I only open the app when required. My Fitbit will offer an opinion on how far I’ve been and Mapy will tell me where I am at any given point in time. The wrist watch battery is usually good for a week and, with care and even referencing Mapy from time to time, my iPhone 13 will run for 36 hours in don’t spook the airplane mode. But I don’t watch movies, search godgle for the best bar or phone a friend every time I want to have an argument with technology 😉

@Rick of Rick and Peg that sounds like an interesting way to record a track but not much use if trying to check if you’re “on” track. I find the blue dot useful to check-in at debatable navigation points but I only open the app when required.
I don't blame you for thinking that from my description but actually it can do what you want. I wasn't intending to highlight the app as much as report on how much power was used to just record the track and display it. However, for the app I used, each track you record (and don't delete somewhere in time) is listed, including the current one. You can select one, the current one of the Camino you've walked today in our case, click the eye icon and get a list of navigation apps you have installed and pick the one you want. The app then brings up the app with the base map, track and current position. That keeps the thirsty navigation app from running all the time.

Also you can save or share the track you recorded. You can save the track in either GPX or KML formats or both.

I'm still testing it but I like it. It also has a method to get more accurate elevation data. I haven't tested that yet but I know where to go to do it. There is a spot on an often walked trail that constantly and mysteriously changes elevation (z coordinate) from about 33 meters to about -33 meters in a couple of apps. The x and y coordinates are fine though, they appear on the trail as shown on the map.

Much thanks for your advice. I did not have Mapy when walking caminos, but I do find it interesting when walking in the Wicklow and Dublin mountains, and I was concerned last week when the full battery did not last the day. I do not normally need to check my position but it is interesting to review the route afterwards

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, has anyone here stayed at Hostelfly? It looks walkable from T2. Or is it very busy roads with no sidewalks? My flight arrives late afternoon, then thinking of getting the Alsa bus next...
I'll be starting my first, short Camino in Ponferrada on a Monday, and have some flexibility prior to that. I'll have spent a few days in Madrid upon arrival in Spain—I'm there often and know the...
Hi, I am flying into Bilbao end of July. Have 2 nights booked, but have not decided among my Camino Route options. Wondering how easy it will be to get a bus to Irûn or perhaps a bus to Oviedo or...
I was walking from Porto in May with a backpack, not planning to use a backpack service. On day 3 I injured my knee when I pulled some ligaments plowing through a heavy section of sand when the...
Hey everyone, setting out on the camino and was hoping to get some insight on best and/or cheapest way to get from biarritz to SJPP. I know you can take a taxi there but unsure how much that would...
Searching for someone to share a taxi with from Santiago de Compostela to Sarria JULY 1ST starting 16h30. Anyone ?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.