• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack transfer to a place I’m not staying

longshanks

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 20 May 2024
Is there any way I can send my backpack with a service like Jacotrans to an albergue if I’m staying in a different place? Is that considered bad form?

My problem is that Jacotrans doesn’t offer the albergue I’d like to stay in as a destination. I’m hoping to visit the Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal.

Last edited:
Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
Thanks! I’m battling an injury at the moment, that’s why I’m hoping to ship. I’ve found that Jacotrans send to Tienda de Susana, which is apparently a shop round the corner from the Refugio. I guess they offer that as a paid service, or expect you to buy something in return.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We’ve done this a few times - currently on the Francis. To be sure, we’ve contacted the destination in advance and they have been very accommodating. The baggage delivery guys are in and out frequently and one more bag does not seem to bother the hosts at all. (I have been amazed by the number of bags being shipped - this forum makes it seems like a rarity and it’s not).

Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal as far as I know does not accept pilgrims that do not carry their own pack.

The first time I stayed there, I remember them sending someone away who had had their pack sent to another albergue in town.

If you want to stay at an albergue like that, stick to their rules.

Also, it is a bit unfair to put the burden of luggage storage until you arrive on a place where you don't intend to stay.

In an emergency or case of very sudden change of plans I can understand that, but wouldn't plan for it. It's just not fair.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It seems to me that the practice of asking an albergue to handle your "luggage" (pack?) for you when you are not stayng there is seriously a breach of ethics....despite some claiming that it is common.

It falls in the same catagory as those who book several albergues for a night and then just show up at one of them....they also claim that it is "common".

Contact the transfer company and tell them where you are staying. They know which albergues do not accept bags and will have an alternative destination. usually a nearby bar or cafe.

Just noticed that this is what they do. It’s common practice. You don’t have to buy anything but it would be a nice gesture.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
If it’s the store I’m thinking of, the lady there is very nice. And I would certainly buy something as a token of appreciation. I’m sure some fruit or drinks or snacks wouldn’t go amiss.

If you’re staying at Refugio Guacelmo, you’ll be wanting to buy food and maybe drink for the evening - guests often get together to prepare an evening meal, using the kitchen there.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is there any way I can send my backpack with a service like Jacotrans to an albergue if I’m staying in a different place? Is that considered bad form?

My problem is that Jacotrans doesn’t offer the albergue I’d like to stay in as a destination. I’m hoping to visit the Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal.
When a bag can not be delivered to a certain place, there is usually an alternative. May be a local bar, post office, store. Jacotrans should know of an alternative. I used them and they would leave it somewhere in that town if not deliverable.

Thanks! I’m battling an injury at the moment, that’s why I’m hoping to ship. I’ve found that Jacotrans send to Tienda de Susana, which is apparently a shop round the corner from the Refugio. I guess they offer that as a paid service, or expect you to buy something in return.
Occasionally an albergue doesn't have someone there to accept bags, so they make arrangements with a shop or bar, that can accept bags.

It seems to me that the practice of asking an albergue to handle your "luggage" (pack?) for you when you are not stayng there is seriously a breach of ethics....despite some claiming that it is common.

It falls in the same catagory as those who book several albergues for a night and then just show up at one of them....they also claim that it is "common".
Common. A word that has connotations in an inner city part of Dublin. The local people understand it to mean cheap. Worth little. (They internalised it. It was part of my task as an educator to help them unpack it. Common needs unpacking).
Back to the question. My experience of luggage/pack transfer dates to 2019, the Ingles. My final pre Santiago night was in Siguiero. In the morning, we saw people come in to leave packs, for Correos to collect. So clearly, from that observation, it is not necessary to sleep in an albergue that is on the Correos list. Only to arrange to have your pack on the floor, ready to be collected. Arrangements to be made, presumably, with the albergue in question.
As an esteemed member often says: hope this helps!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'll be starting my first, short Camino in Ponferrada on a Monday, and have some flexibility prior to that. I'll have spent a few days in Madrid upon arrival in Spain—I'm there often and know the...
Is there any way I can send my backpack with a service like Jacotrans to an albergue if I’m staying in a different place? Is that considered bad form? My problem is that Jacotrans doesn’t offer...
Hi, I am flying into Bilbao end of July. Have 2 nights booked, but have not decided among my Camino Route options. Wondering how easy it will be to get a bus to Irûn or perhaps a bus to Oviedo or...
I was walking from Porto in May with a backpack, not planning to use a backpack service. On day 3 I injured my knee when I pulled some ligaments plowing through a heavy section of sand when the...
Hi all, I'm in the process of booking train tickets for my way home after I finish the Primitivo in August. Generally, I'm okay navigating the Renfe website, but am looking for help from the...
I searched but didn’t find the answer to this one. I’m only gong as far as Leon this time. I was going to send a suitcase from sjpp to Leon via correos but obviously they aren’t in France...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back