• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Increasing retirement age reducing numbers of Shikoku pilgrims?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
reducing the numbers making the Shikoku pilgrimage.
Interesting, especially as I'm just back from nearly a month in Japan, and have begun planning a walk on the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage route near Osaka for 2025. This is a different route, one with Dual Pilgrim arrangements with Camino de Santiago.

If the the Shikoku numbers have returned to pre-pandemic levels (~50k+), and they are having trouble accommodating walking pilgrims, then I have to wonder how they handled the ~150k+ in 1992.

Also, this is the pilgrimage that relies mostly on bus tours. That's an entirely different pilgrim culture (88 temples over 1400 km by bus in less than 2 weeks), one that I have difficulty wrapping my head around. It appears the accommodations and buses are currently full, so I am puzzled by the marketing drive described in the article above.

Of course, elsewhere in Japanese media there are frequent complaints about "over-tourism".

If the the Shikoku numbers have returned to pre-pandemic levels (~50k+), and they are having trouble accommodating walking pilgrims, then I have to wonder how they handled the ~150k+ in 1992.
I think you have largely answered the puzzle with your comments above. The great majority of Shikoku pilgrims travel by bus or car. The number of Japanese walking pilgrims is very small. In recent years the Shikoku pilgrimage has become well known amongst foreigners like myself and those foreign pilgrims who follow the route do mostly choose to walk. Many of us having already walked one or more Caminos. As I understand it the shortage of accommodation is largely due to the combination of increasing numbers of foreign pilgrims and a reduction in available beds post-Covid.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think you have largely answered the puzzle with your comments above. The great majority of Shikoku pilgrims travel by bus or car. The number of Japanese walking pilgrims is very small. In recent years the Shikoku pilgrimage has become well known amongst foreigners like myself and those foreign pilgrims who follow the route do mostly choose to walk. Many of us having already walked one or more Caminos. As I understand it the shortage of accommodation is largely due to the combination of increasing numbers of foreign pilgrims and a reduction in available beds post-Covid.
That said..I cannot wait to return to Japan, a civilized nation in my mind.

Sweet 😂

My generation was presented with a general pensioning age of 67. The politicians now discuss the rising of this age to 70 because lack of funding! It's a scam!

Sweet 😂

My generation was presented with a general pensioning age of 67. The politicians now discuss the rising of this age to 70 because lack of funding! It's a scam!
Here in the UK I was expecting a pension at 65. Now it will be 67 too. Fully expecting the goalposts to be moved again before then. :-(

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Off topic but here in The Netherlands the retirement age is linked to life expectancy. It was to be 67 for me but because of Covid (I assume) it was changed to 66 and 10 months. For those born a year after me it is back to 67. Who knows what the retirement age will be for our children, maybe 80!

Unfortunately there is no distinction for those with physically demanding jobs such as construction workers. Stupid in my opinion since in the end we all pay when they need to stop early due to disability and are given disability compensation u til retirement age.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.