• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you attract pilgrims?

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Phil and I are in Alaska on a 3 month long camping adventure and we keep meeting Camino pilgrims or people who want to be Camino pilgrims. We have a shell sticker on our pickup topper window which attracts people in the know. Do you run into other pilgrims in far off lands? How do you recognize each other?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know a pilgrim who lives in my apartment and I'm pretty sure he's attracted to me, as he proposed years ago and we've since married and done three caminos together :D

But in terms of random encounters, not really... In hiking gear shops and Spanish airports, that I can remember. I have a yellow arrow pin in my backpack, but it hasn't started any conversations yet. I'd love to bump into more pilgrims, though!

Do you run into other pilgrims in far off lands? How do you recognize each other?
Nope not even one in the last four years!!
I have patches on my backpack that i use every day; plus some quite large tattoos on both arms that are very obviously Camino!
I have spoken to one guy in my town (pop 23000) about us having the same gear for hiking ;he had heard of the Camino but that's all

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here in rural France during past years my husband and I ran a b&b/pilgrim house in our farmhouse facing the Marne river as part of the Chaîne d'Hospitalité Locale .

My first pilgrim shell from 2004 hung at the door marking it as a pilgrim place. It was a pleasure to meet/host pilgrims who followed the Via Campaniensis (Voie Champenoise)
which passed our farmhouse.

Now our b&b/pilgrim house is closed but we live nearby on an island in the Marne river and via smartphone continue to provide pilgrims with info re nearby accommodation and paths. We still have the pleasure to meet/help pilgrims since the Via Campaniensis also passes our island door.

Last edited:
I have met none at all. The only chance encounter I have had with another pilgrim away from the Camino was in Dubai airport on the way home last year when I ran into two Australian ladies who had walked the Norte. However, I'm attending a screening of 'The Way, My Way' in my town next month so there may be others there.

I walked the "Grenslandpad" (Border Country Trail, between Holland & Belgium) in August 2021. I was getting along nicely, about two or three days left to go. I met an 84-year-old gentleman who addressed me from his bike on the outer dike of South Beveland. It turned out he had also walked the Camino and recognized the pin on my backpack. He told of a full life, of travel and sailing, of mountains and hotels, and of the final farewell he had to say to his wife, then eleven months ago.

We talked for a long time, on a bench between the Kapellebank and the dike. I made us some coffee with my camping gas burner and even broke out my half liter coke bottle filled with Jameson and two little silver shot glasses, for it was a special occasion. We toasted earnestly on life before we parted ways.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Other than enroute to or from the Camino, just one - ironically just a couple of weeks ago. I was in a local supermarket and a bloke got all excited when he saw the small Camino patch on my day pack. Brief but enjoyable encounter. I'm a little disappointed to be honest because the Camino or Jacobsweg is well known here in Germany.

I remain hopeful!

No one has ever noticed the discreet shell patch on my rucksack and approached me, though I regularly use it for walking and shopping. But since moving house 3 years ago I've found three neighbours who have walked Caminos. That's folk in one in ten houses in this cul-de-sac in a small English market town!

Wish I did. I honestly don't know of a single person at home who has heard of the Camino before I told them. But, I found this stone with "the right colors" a few weeks ago. Still a mystery to me who put it there and why.
FB_IMG_1716906592837.jpg

It always puts a smile on my face when traveling with my backpack, usually in airports, that I hear the Buen Camino greeting. Unfortunately, here in the States, still far too few people, even practicing Catholics, have heard of the Camino de Santiago. Nonetheless, the patches on my pack have initiated a number of conversations where those who asked about them were quite interested in learning about the pilgrimage. Always great fun talking about The Way.

I have twice given talks at my parish on the Caminos I have walked, encouraging others to consider doing their own pilgrimages with some success. My parish has sent 23 people on various Caminos that I am aware of, and a group of about 16 is now preparing to walk a portion of the Francigena this August. So I’m really blessed to live with and work for a small community of pilgrims here in Camarillo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here in what we locals call the Midwest of the USA, I have not met a single pilgrim. Until 2 weeks ago while doing a training walk. Coming down the lane was a lady with an older dog, and as she approached she asked if I was going on the Camino. To say I was surprised is an understatement as my gear has no identifiable Camino items. Of course as we spoke I asked how she knew - well it was the hiking poles! Who else would train with them in the flattest stretch of our country. She was recently back from the Sarria stretch of the Frances with some friends. We had a great chat and renewed my goal of the Portuguese/Variante Espiritual this year.

Do you run into other pilgrims in far off lands? How do you recognize each other?
I prefer to stay undercover. When I travel, I try to look like an average 75-year-old with a backpack, walking sticks and serious walking shoes. I don't have any Camino badges or evidence visible. Generally it works and people don't approach me about the Camino. Call me anti-social!

We bump into them fairly often. Must be some strange magnetic field or something! The most unusual one was mid-race this winter, I'm huffing and puffing along in my usual way, and a couple slowly pass by me and notice I'm wearing my camino socks. https://www.wrightsock.com/products/eco-explore?variant=31825134944345 We had a nice chat about the Frances and Norte (or the best I could muster in my out of breath state). They cruised on by eventually, but it was very exciting to talk Camino in an unusual setting.

I have a sticker on my laptop, and every once in a while someone will notice and we'll have a chat about the camino. I think @J Willhaus has the right idea - just hang a camino symbol out there and it's like bees to flowers!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Only once, in an airport, can’t remember which one, but someone recognized the patch on my pack and mentioned they wanted to walk the Way. Short conversation…wonder if she ever went there.

Yes. I am in dallas Texas and walk with my mochila and scallop I get many looks and buen caminos. We usually stop and talk to discuss past or future caminos. Frances and portugués.
Wish Texas had a path that ran from the valley to the panhandle area..what a grand tour that would be..East to west would be good except for the urban sprawl of 2 mega cities to cross

Like @C clearly I don't have patches on my everyday hiking backpack, or my Camino backpack for that matter. Despite that I do meet people while I'm on local hikes who have walked a Camino. So, I guess that I do attract pilgrims. And I have met at least one on a local hiking trail who had Camino patches on his backpack. I do have small decals on my car, but rarely have anyone notice those.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I met a couple once on a 7 day cruise out to the Bahamas. The man was wearing a bronze disc with a camino shell on it dangling from his neck on a piece of leather. I entered the same elevator as him and his wife, noticed it immediately, and simply said "Camino" with a smile. They were besides themselves that they'd actually met someone else that knew what the Camino was.

Only a few weeks ago I saw a gentleman walking in front of me with a Camino tatoo on his calf. I promptly yelled out Buen Camino! He was quite surprised and told me that he had just returned home from walking the Camino Francés.

I too have a tattoo, actually 2, one on the side of each foot (a shell on one and ultreia on the other). Recently a few of my yoga students asked me about them and one told me that her mother had walked the Francés. Another one, a Spanish woman from Almería, said that she hoped one day to walk a Camino. I of course told her about the Mozárabe and that she could start from her family's front door.

That's it. I don't put patches on my backpack so besides the tattoos which are not usually visible, there is no way anyone would know that I'm a Camino addict😂

While biking on a path along the Mississippi river with my husband and friends in 2015, we passed a woman who was walking with a backpack and using hiking poles. I'd recently returned from my first Camino and she reminded me of all the pilgrims I'd recently walked behind on my first Camino. We initially passed by her, but I couldn't resist turning around and talking to her. I asked if she was preparing for a special event and she said "Yes, I training to walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain and I leave in two weeks". I was so surprised and we chatted a bit and exchanged emails which led to becoming friends. We later walked the Via Podiensis together in 2018 and I actually just met up with her a week+ ago for our annual mini-Camino reunion with another friend.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Only once, in an airport, can’t remember which one, but someone recognized the patch on my pack and mentioned they wanted to walk the Way. Short conversation…wonder if she ever went there.
I had truly wished I had met more…no tats bit I javelin a patch on my backpack, just remembered…my orthopod’s assistant had walked the Primitivo, so I have met at least one other who has been to Spain. Unlike you kids, like Trecile, I turn 80 next year, but stillwantbto go to Spain for another Camino. Just haven’t convinced my wife that I can without expiring!!!

Nope not even one in the last four years!!
I have patches on my backpack that i use every day; plus some quite large tattoos on both arms that are very obviously Camino!
I have spoken to one guy in my town (pop 23000) about us having the same gear for hiking ;he had heard of the Camino but that's all
Can I see your tattoos? I’m thinking of getting a shell on my forearm.

I had truly wished I had met more…no tats bit I javelin a patch on my backpack, just remembered…my orthopod’s assistant had walked the Primitivo, so I have met at least one other who has been to Spain. Unlike you kids, like Trecile, I turn 80 next year, but stillwantbto go to Spain for another Camino. Just haven’t convinced my wife that I can without expiring!!!
I'd say if it is in your thoughts and in your heart to still want to do it, you are probably not too old! However, you may want to get the opinion of your doctor first and if he gives you a thumbs up, let him convince your wife.🙂

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Just haven’t convinced my wife that I can without expiring!!!
There's a heck of a lot worse places to 'expire' than on Camino. Beats being run over in your hometown, or the ignominy of falling from a ladder....

And it sure as heck beats just hanging around waiting.

If I can die doing something that I love, I'll die a happy man.

I boarded a train in Southampton last month when my partner said 'hey, that girl has a camino badge on her backpack". I greeted her to find she was on her way home from the Frances, with eyes of happiness I knew well. I got off at the next station and shed a tear for all that she would be feeling. Those around me mattered not. I was back there even for this fleeting moment.....

The hiking poles are the 'magnet' and conversation starter on many occasions here in Perth West Australia 🇦🇺
Two stand outs - training on the local streets for our first Camino in 2016, a guy walking with a staff on the opposite side of the road saw us with backpacks and poles called out Buen Camino, he crossed the road and we chatted excitedly, not knowing we'd become addicted!!
Another time fairly recently in 2022 walking around our local lake a woman walking with poles, as we were, got that magnet working again. She visited us at home to get 'expert' help in using her poles correctly as she was going to Spain to walk her first Camino at 78👣

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Funny you should ask. Last month I was traversing the old wall surrounding Dubrovnik. It was the zenith of afternoon heat and I reached the high point of the wall. Sitting down for a breath next to a woman, I realized she was speaking to a comrade nearby and she was speaking French, a language I have been studying for a long long time. I spoke up “vous etes francaise?” Indeed she was from Bordeaux and I told her -in French- that I had been there. She asked if I was from Paris and I responded “non, je suis americaine” and we proceeded to have a lovely conversation made even better when we discovered we both had walked the Le Puy chemin! Honestly I was more surprised that I had been able to have a conversation in French and be understood than I was at running into a pilgrim on the walls of Dubrovnik!!!

At San Francisco airport, right after security, a family with 3 small children (I’d been wondering how they could be so together so easily in the morning) saw my arrow patch on my vest and the dad got very excited and asked the children “remember what we did last summer?” And the children responded “followed the arrows on the Camino!” I was quite amazed.

I don't have a single item on my clothes... and I keep meeting people who want to walk Camino, and ask me detailed questions about Camino. The last two were at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe VT, 2 separate men, 2 separate locations on the property, last night and this morning.

God has a sense of humor... 😉

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Today my wife and I were walking on this beautiful sunny morning here in Alaska, on a charity fundraising walk for ALS research. We met my wife's supervisor of 30 years ago and her husband who had traveled up from Nevada for the walk. "What have you done since retiring?" We quickly found out they had walked many Caminos and other walks in Europe. Buen Camino

The Cat Distribution System exists..maybe in the matrix of things? there is a Camino Distribution System....
where the Camino distributes parts of itself right when and where its needed?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like the handshake idea 😉

I have patch on my day pack and a patch on my backcountry pack, plus tattoo on my calf. It has become a joke when people notice,,, and my wife just says
"Oh no, don't start talking Camino with him"
Appalachian Trail, Caribbean, Alaska or just neighborhood trails, I've spent hours talking about Camino with "wanna do it" people. With pilgrims it's usually just a Buen Camino, and a smile, or maybe an exchange of route choices.

Whenever I go on a walk or hike, I wear a black, baseball-style hat I bought from Casa Ivar, that bears a stylized scallop shell symbol of the Camino. And for those somewhat less informed, it also has the words Camino de Santiago on the bill of the cap. And, yes, it has drawn attention from other hikers who have been on the Camino, or who want to go, and it's always a conversation starter. It usually begins with something like, "Oh, have you been on the Camino?" and I am always proud to say Yes (2022, Camino Frances). I was wearing it at my grandkids' swim meet just a couple of weekends ago, and I had a lovely conversation with a woman who asked the same question. Her brother had just gotten back two weeks earlier from walking the Camino Frances, so we had a lot to talk about. I don't find that many people familiar with it, but with those who are, it's an instant bonding with someone who has shared - or soon will share - the same experience. I also have a niece who is dying to go. She was over for dinner just last night, and she was thrilled to look through the Find Penguins book I made of my journey. It's always very exciting for me to be able to answer questions and share my experience about the Camino, especially with someone who hasn't yet been. I know it's getting crowded, but if they're truly interested, I always tell them the same thing - if you're thinking about it - do it!!

Not in far off lands but in a village shop, about 7km from home. The discreet red Camino badge on my red day pack has attracted comments from a customer and a shop assistant, both cognoscenti.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
...once left a day pack at a family at the beach for them to keep an eye on when we went into the water.
When picking it up, they had noticed the Camino pins, and asked if it was doable to walk the Camino as a family as they were about to plan the next year. They were relieved to hear about the abundant prospects.

Another time, in a busy and crowded bus, an elderly lady with crutches reminicsed as she saw the same pins and we chatted and name dropped places along the route and felt the pilgrim drag.
She left her seat saying she now felt 20 years younger and thanx for the chat !! She was so welcome..

Can I see your tattoos? I’m thinking of getting a shell on my forearm.
Both done here:
First tattoo was done with their guidance!!
The second was my idea! (guy did ask if i was sure)
To big and way to much writing i think; but my choice on the day!! (i have grown to love it; although once done who looks at their tatts every day 🤣)
Woody

Attachments

• MY CAMINO TATTOO.jpg
    MY CAMINO TATTOO.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • MY CAMINO TATTOO 2023.jpeg
    MY CAMINO TATTOO 2023.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 44
There's a heck of a lot worse places to 'expire' than on Camino. Beats being run over in your hometown, or the ignominy of falling from a ladder....

And it sure as heck beats just hanging around waiting.

If I can die doing something that I love, I'll die a happy man.
I read that if you die on the camino you go straight to heaven. Can anyone confirm :) ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like @C clearly I don't have patches on my everyday hiking backpack, or my Camino backpack for that matter. Despite that I do meet people while I'm on local hikes who have walked a Camino. So, I guess that I do attract pilgrims. And I have met at least one on a local hiking trail who had Camino patches on his backpack. I do have small decals on my car, but rarely have anyone notice those.
decalcomania
I looked it up. Mania? Maybe yes.
Listen, maniacs, if there is somehwere beyond here, your mammy will not know you if you are all covered in tatuajes! 🤣😂😅
Good thread, OP!

Both done here:
First tattoo was done with their guidance!!
The second was my idea! (guy did ask if i was sure)
To big and way to much writing i think; but my choice on the day!! (i have grown to love it; although once done who looks at their tatts every day 🤣)
Woody
They are awesome!

I live half the year in the flattest part of Canada and the other half just steps away from the Caminho Português. When I see people in Canada with walking sticks and backpacks on country roads or city sidewalks, I always wish them bom caminho. About 95% of the time this will start a conversation about their plans and preparations for the caminho. The other 5% of the time, I just get crazy looks. 😂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've have friends ( in fact all my friends!) who know I've walked the Camino (twice) & aiming for again next year. On several occasions, they've asked if I'd mind chatting with someone they know who is planning to walk it.
Of course, I don't even need to think for a millisecond that I'd love to share with someone (anyone!) about the Camino.

Have two patches for CF / CP on my short trip backpack.
Sometimes I got asked about it and rarely I do meet fellow pilgrims who did a Camino.

But I do live in a mostly evangelic dominated region, where it's not well known to walk a Camino.
Despite the fact that my pastor more than 40 years ago did mentioned that ancient walks in confirmation class.

Last edited:
Rather than attracting fellow pilgrim-zealots, I wonder how many repel them. It's not unlike the carnivores' joke: how do you know if someone's a vegan? They'll tell you. If it weren't for this forum, how many unreformed caministas would bore the hiking pants off those pilgrims who don't want to be subjected to any more caminology!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are at Bristol Bay and went to the Katmai Brooks Falls yesterday to watch the bears and the salmon run. Met a guy from the Phillipines who had lived in Barcelona for a while who walked the Norte and the CF. Pilgrims seem to be everywhere!

Also found out we can volunteer at Brooks Camp for a 2 week stint just like we do on the Camino, although the duties are somewhat different from that as a hospitalero. They need volunteers everywhere, too, it seems.

Rather than attracting fellow pilgrim-zealots, I wonder how many repel them. It's not unlike the carnivores' joke: how do you know if someone's a vegan? They'll tell you. If it weren't for this forum, how many unreformed caministas would bore the hiking pants off those pilgrims who don't want to be subjected to any more caminology!
Yes, my family's eyes glaze over when we start our Camino talk. Others are politely interested for at least 30 seconds, but usually when we say we volunteer in Spain that attracts more interest...

Yesterday while in Brooks Camp at Katmi National Park in Alaska, a originally from the Philippines said he heard Janet and I talking about the Camino and asked if we had done one. We ended up chatting for awhile
It turns out that he has done both the Fances and the Norte. One just doesn't know when or where the Camino may come into conversation.

Phil and I are in Alaska on a 3 month long camping adventure and we keep meeting Camino pilgrims or people who want to be Camino pilgrims. We have a shell sticker on our pickup topper window which attracts people in the know. Do you run into other pilgrims in far off lands? How do you recognize each other?
We were visiting family in Florida and walked daily on local trails with our full packs as we were going to leave for Camino shortly after arriving home. We were stopped one day by a woman who asked if we were wearing backpacks to walk a camino and peppered us with questions for several minutes. No shells on our packs!!

In 2022, the P.O. issued about 438,000 Compostelas. In 2023 it was roughly 446,000.

No matter how remote the place you are, how can you not meet someone who's walked a camino, or getting ready for one? We've long since stopped being special.

In 2022, the P.O. issued about 438,000 Compostelas. In 2023 it was roughly 446,000.

No matter how remote the place you are, how can you not meet someone who's walked a camino, or getting ready for one? We've long since stopped being special.
Estimated world population is 8 billion so 446,000 Compostelas would be 0.005575% of the population. Spread across the entire world I would think that we wouldn't meet someone, but I have met too many people that have walked caminos. (This is not meant to be so serious- tongue in cheek, feel free to check my math as it was not my best subject.)
😂 🍷 🥾

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Estimated world population is 8 billion so 446,000 Compostelas would be 0.005575% of the population
Subtract the populations of India, Indonesia, Russia, and China from that 8.1 billion (since there are almost no pilgrims from there) and the odds go up considerably. Then how many pilgrims come from Africa and SE Asia. Darn few. Even better odds.

If I had nothing better to do (I do, so never mind), I'd figure out the populations of countries with the most compostellas and use that to make a more accurate ratio. P.O.data of # of Compostelas from 10 commonest home countries/total population of those countries. Voila.
Or just stick with the one country you happen to be in, that's easier.
32,069 Compostelas from the US last year.
341,779,788 people in the country in 2024.
About 9 people in every 1000. Not bad odds.

Last edited:
I run two FB Pilgrims groups here in Australia - Australian Pilgrims on the Camino and Beyond, and Western
Australian Camino Group....we hold regular Get togethers and often other people who notice our Pilgrim signs, wander along and come and chat to us. Our main group has its own patches and I have one of these sewn onto my small backpack which I use daily when walking or out shopping. People often stop to chat when they see this patch when I'm out and about. Only yesterday when I was at my Specialist physio practice, two people saw my path and then a lovely conversation ensued. Below is a photo of our patch....

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Personally, I have tried not to wear anything, including tiny shells, that will attract strangers in these United States of America. I certainly wear appropriate gear, but have become more conscious of avoiding any labels or patches that may attract attention.

Nevertheless, when walking on our town paths frequently and a local state park with small packs and hiking poles we have had conversations with other locals who eventually ask why two seniors are consistently walking such distances.

Last edited:
Frankly, given the recent robberies in Ponferrada, I’m wondering if wearing a clam shell early in the morning on the Camino is a liability? Now one might assume that walking early with a backpack one is likely a pilgrim, …but just maybe not. That shell ID’s one for sure! So maybe consider where you’re carrying your shell, especially leaving a city in darkness.

Last edited:
Frankly, given the recent robberies in Ponferrada, I’m wondering if wearing a clam shell early in the morning on the Camino is a liability? Now one might assume that walking early with a backpack one is likely a pilgrim, …but just maybe not. That shell ID’s one for sure! So maybe consider where you’re carrying your shell, especially leaving a city in darkness.
Did this mugging actually take place? I've googled it and the only reports I find are on Facebook and (the same report repeated) this forum, although please note I have not searched Spanish newspapers. (Beyond my capabilities). As both threads on this supposed attack were instantly shut down by moderators I have no idea as to whether or not this was ever verified.
You talk of robberies in the plural, are you aware of more than one?

Rumours are so easily spread and I would hate for the forum to become a source of scare mongering.

Did this mugging actually take place? I've googled it and the only reports I find are on Facebook and (the same report repeated) this forum, although please note I have not searched Spanish newspapers. (Beyond my capabilities). As both threads on this supposed attack were instantly shut down by moderators I have no idea as to whether or not this was ever verified.
You talk of robberies in the plural, are you aware of more than one?

Rumours are so easily spread and I would hate for the forum to become a source of scare mongering.
scaremongering?

I think, if anything, this Forum, is very cautious, about presenting information that might discourage folks from participating in a Camino.

Source of article post on arrest is IVAR!

seems there have been some arrests related to this:
www.diariodeleon.es

Detienen a un grupo de jóvenes por el atraco violento a peregrinos en Ponferrada

Hay tres arrestados pero podría haber más implicados por los robos con agresión que han sufrido un español, un italiano y un japonés en los últimos días, siempre al amanecer
www.diariodeleon.es
www.diariodeleon.es

🇳🇴 Running Casa Ivar and the Camino Forum Shop out of his office in Santiago. 📹 I also do some videos on YouTube from Santiago de Compostela. My Google Arts & Culture profile.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link - I did say I had not found anything in english.

The only reports that I saw here on the forum were both instantly shut down by the moderators, both of which as I said related back to the Facebook post.

Source is IVAR!

When? I haven't seen anything from Ivar on this

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think, if anything, this Forum, is very cautious, about presenting information that might discourage folks from participating in a Camino.
And yet you write this?
Frankly, given the recent robberies in Ponferrada, I’m wondering if wearing a clam shell early in the morning on the Camino is a liability

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The article reports that pilgrims were being targeted out of Ponferrada. That is a concern! I am only suggesting that pilgrims make it harder to be identified as pilgrims if they are leaving in the dark or alone. That is being careful!
I hardly think that a Shell will make the difference. On my flight into Oviedo I identified all four pilgrims on the plane at a glance before we'd even left the airport. (Most Pilgrims tend to be rather distinctive.) Their shells were still safely tucked inside their bags.

Let's face, it no self-respecting Spaniard is going to be wandering the streets with a backpack before Dawn.

Suggesting that they have their backpack transported for the stage leaving Ponferadda would be more logical. But even then most of us are rather distinctively dressed, and carrying a day pack or similar. Most muggers are simply looking for easy targets, very few spaniards would be out walking at such an early hour.

Better yet suggest that pilgrims leave in groups, after dawn.

Bearing in mind that the perpetrators (hopefully all of them) have been arrested, and that the Spanish police are all over this (extremely bad for business and very poor public image) Ponferadda is likely to be one of the safer places for a little while.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's more about who is about in the early hours; if Pilgrims are walking at six am maybe they are the most available target!
I also don't think the shell makes much difference!

I walk through towns with my backpack, patches, Camino tattoos and 140cm white roller tip guide cane it's obvious i am sight impaired !
Do i walk in fear of muggers and thieves no; my fears won't stop them but it would impact my joy in walking Should i fret about lightening 🤣

I hardly think that a Shell will make the difference. On my flight into Oviedo I identified all four pilgrims on the plane at a glance before we'd even left the airport. (Most Pilgrims teemed to be rather distinctive.) Their shells were still safely tucked inside their bags.

Let's face, it no self-respecting Spaniard is going to be wandering the streets with a backpack before Dawn.

Suggesting that they have their backpack transported for the stage leaving Ponferadda would be more logical. But even then most of us are rather distinctively dressed, and carrying a day pack or similar. Most muggers are simply looking for easy targets, very few spaniards would be out walking at such an early hour.

Better yet suggest that pilgrims leave in groups, after dawn.

Bearing in mind that the perpetrators (hopefully all of them) have been arrested, and that the Spanish police are all over this (extremely bad for business and very poor public image) Ponferadda is likely to be one of the safer places for a little while.

Perhaps it's more about who is about in the early hours; if Pilgrims are walking at six am maybe they are the most available target!
I also don't think the shell makes much difference!

I walk through towns with my backpack, patches, Camino tattoos and 140cm white roller tip guide cane it's obvious i am sight impaired !
Do i walk in fear of muggers and thieves no; my fears won't stop them but it would impact my joy in walking Should i fret about lightening 🤣
In light of the title of this thread, Do you attract pilgrims, my comment had to do with the exact opposite, trying not to attract others! And my suggestion for not wearing a shell in a prominent place was in relationship to this.

I certainly agree that the time, route and gear/clothing also suggest a pilgrim. No disagreement! Yes, pilgrims may want to consider other alternatives such as starting later, or walking out in larger groups, taking a different route out of the city, or taking a cab to the end of the city if such acts persist.

We are two snail walking senior women, who try and balance our walking speed to our destination time, with weather conditions. And we often leave Ponferrada in the dark, early in the morning, but we do not take the marked trail route out of Ponferrada in the dark, narrow streets of the old city, but rather we stay on Ave. Castillo, Ave Perez, to Ave Camino. With numerous autos on it until it merges with the Camino and by then there are folks catching buses.

If you have no concerns about leaving in the dark, then this doesn’t apply to you.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a smallish shell that I leave on my backpack that I found on a beach. It is not like the very large one given out or sold along the Camino Frances. I have enjoyed the few times it has been noticed at airports as it is an opportunity to have a chat with someone who "knows" or is curious about it and their eyes do not glaze over as I speak.🙂
Screenshot_20240625-093147~2.png

Most read last week in this forum

I am going to fly back from Santander. I would like to take the FEVE along the coast from A Coruna or Ferol to Santander. Previously when I have asked RENFE staff about FEVE I have drawn a blank...
Hi, has anyone here stayed at Hostelfly? It looks walkable from T2. Or is it very busy roads with no sidewalks? My flight arrives late afternoon, then thinking of getting the Alsa bus next...
Hi Everyone New to this forum and appreciating it. I arrive in Bilbao on 28th August at around 9.30 am and planning to get to SJPD in one day. The alternatives, I've researched so far include a...
I'm just about to start my journey tomorrow 25th June flying into Bilbao which arrives in the afternoon hope to out of the airport by 3/30pm . Planning to catch a coach a from Bilbao via San...
Hello, my name is Stephanie and I will walk my first Camino Sept. I’m having difficulty finding trains from Santiago once I am done to get back to Lisbon. Thoughts??
Hey everyone, setting out on the camino and was hoping to get some insight on best and/or cheapest way to get from biarritz to SJPP. I know you can take a taxi there but unsure how much that would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back