• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walkingpoles allowed through security in Santiago airport?

Lvra

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone,

Leaving last Tuesday from Santiago airport I saw a lot of pilgrims with backpacks and walking poles. Is it allowed?

Thank you!
Elvira

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I believe there was a reasonably resent thread that mentioned that they do indeed now allow you to bring poles as a carry-on into the cabin. I don't recall if there are any stipulations are added to this (i.e. must be collapsible, et al)
Bit yes looks like the floodgate is open!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I believe there was a reasonably resent thread that mentioned that they do indeed now allow you to bring poles as a carry-on into the cabin. I don't recall if there are any stipulations are added to this (i.e. must be collapsible, et al)
Bit yes looks like the floodgate is open!
Must have been after September 2023 as I saw a lot of confiscated poles at security when I went through…….

Hi everyone,

Leaving last Tuesday from Santiago airport I saw a lot of pilgrims with backpacks and walking poles. Is it allowed?

Thank you!
Elvira
Yes, it is now allowed. Exactly when this change occurred is not clear but it seems to have been earlier this year. The first post I saw about this (in April) is below, there have been multiple confirmations since this time.
My husband and I posted our poles back to UK from Santiago. This was to avoid the security issue at Santiago airport - we had to check them in at the airport last September. We were amazed to see a young woman in the departure lounge carrying her folded poles. When we enquired she said that she had taken them through security with no problem. I made my way back to security and asked an English speaking guard if poles could be taken through and she said yes! When did this change?
Please note this change seems to be Santiago only as in another post somebody mentioned they still could not get them through Madrid. (As usual in Madrid and other airports worldwide this appears to depend on the security agent you hit).

At least Santiago has always been consistent - it used to be a flat 'no' it is now a 'no problem' !

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Before I would risk any of my walking poles - anywhere - I would want to see a clear and definitive "black and white" article or explanation from the relevant security authorities. If such a document exists online, with regards to hiking poles, could someone provide a link to that governmental site?

My direct, personal experience with security authorities in Spain - especially at Madrid - is that that these folks can be very mercurial in their interpretations of what is allowed and what is not. I have lost several items, that, while allowable to TSA in the US, were not permitted on a connecting flight at Madrid.

I have long-since navigated the TSA's policies and can deal with those. But, even if the EU says one thing in writing, the Spanish authorities have been known to say something else.

When politely challenged, the reply is something like: "but señor, this is Spain..." Bye bye, challenged item... Nope! don't need this uncertainty.

I may believe it when I see it in writing from the requisite authorities. Until then, all sharp(ish) or otherwise debatable items, regardless of how small they are, or how innocuous they can be packed, go into checked baggage.

I do not need the unpleasant confrontations or the drama. I do hate starting a journey off on a negative basis.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hi everyone,
Thank you!
There have been numerous reports on this forum and in Camino related FB groups where people expressed their surprise that poles are allowed to be taken into the cabin at Santiago airport. People even went and asked security staff because they could barely believe what they saw and heard them confirm that, yes, poles are allowed. At least since the beginning of May 2024 if not earlier.

Someone posted even a photo of her backpack with poles attached on the outside and allowed to pass through security. The length of her poles was considerably larger than the backpack. I don’t know whether they had been folded or zipped or whatever - I doubt that the mechanism plays any role whatsoever.

I thought this new development would put an end to all discussion and sharing of personal opinions in 2024 about poles and Santiago airport but I was obviously wrong. 😆

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Before I would risk any of my walking poles - anywhere - I would want to see a clear and definitive "black and white" article or explanation from the relevant security authorities. If such a document exists online, with regards to hiking poles, could someone provide a link to that governmental site?
Please, please, please, not “anywhere”. Let us focus on Santiago airport only. For “anywhere else” we have the FAQ maintained by the moderators. Perhaps somebody can post the link yet again?

The airport at Santiago (SCQ) does not operate in a vacuum. It is part of an integrated, international air transportation system.

What is allowed, or not, at SCQ has ripple effects across the global air travel system. Focusing solely on what is or is not allowed at SCQ, is unrealistic, at least IMHO.

Just because something is or is not permitted at SCQ, is irrelevant when applied to connection airports, worldwide.

For something to be allowed, it must be allowed across the board. For example, being permitted to carry hiking poles on board at SCQ, may be meaningless if you have to pass through security again - say at MAD - to connect to a U.S. or Canadian bound flight. If your property is deemed “forbidden” then, nothing was gained.

Perhaps somebody can post the link yet again?
Here it is - still valid!

For something to be allowed, it must be allowed across the board. For example, being permitted to carry hiking poles on board at SCQ, may be meaningless if you have to pass through security again - say at MAD - to connect to a U.S. or Canadian bound flight. If your property is deemed “forbidden” then, nothing was gained.
Life is all about risk management. We all choose what level of risk to accept for a situation. The general post linked here outlines the risks and the uncertainties of travelling with hiking poles. People can assess their situation and make their own decisions. Losing one's poles is not a matter of life and death, so I don't see the need for extreme blanket advice using words such as "never... anywhere."

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
For something to be allowed, it must be allowed across the board. For example, being permitted to carry hiking poles on board at SCQ, may be meaningless if you have to pass through security again - say at MAD - to connect to a U.S. or Canadian bound flight.
Yes but just because many come from the States or Canada doesn't mean that everybody does. A good proportion of us are flying within Europe or to the United Kingdom, directly from Santiago. I have zero issues flying into Santiago with my poles, but previously I could not fly out of Santiago with my poles.

So whilst this may not be important to you, whether or not poles are now allowed onboard in Santiago is very important to me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
you might have to go back through security in Madrid on your way home - which according to recent posts is still problematic - sometimes poles get through, sometimes not
That’s a valid point but it does not require a lot of explanation and commentary, and it is covered in the FAQ. Needless to point out that numerous pilgrims changing planes in Madrid do not go through a security lane. It all depends on your destination airport and on your chosen airline(s).

But that is only half the story. Over the years, rather strong personal opinions had been expressed about applicable law, with rather personal interpretations of what it actually says for airports in Spain and other EU countries, and it had been my hope that this particular topic has now been put to rest …

Anyway, the OP asked whether “leaving last Tuesday from Santiago airport I saw a lot of pilgrims with backpacks and walking poles. Is it allowed?” and the answer is “Yes”.

Last edited:
This all explains why I always choose to adopt the least common denominator - I assume a very strict interpretation of the rules - and plan/pack accordingly.

It is for this reason that I always check my poles, multi-tools, knives, etc. This approach always satisfies all countries security rules, including idiosyncratic interpretation of rules from airport to airport, by human inspectors. Variability in interpretation of rules remains a curiously human phenomenon.

I do accept that, if you are on a single, non-connecting flight from SCQ to your home city airport, you are solely concerned with that single flight segment. I get it. But touting that outcome, without explaining the limited context (single, nonstop flight from EU airport A to EU airport B) can provide misleading advice on others, who may not comprehend the limited context.

But, consider that, of the half or more of all pilgrims who are non-Spanish, the largest group (presently) happen to be from North America. In that context, anything written here has ramifications beyond EU nationals.

This is why I have consistently, over the past decade, always recommended checking your poles and anything else that MIGHT be questionable. IMHO, the risk of lost baggage is less than the risk of refusal or confiscation.

In the end, you make your choices and deal with the outcome.

Hope this clarifies and helps the dialog.

Tom

This is why I have consistently, over the past decade, always recommended checking your poles and anything else that MIGHT be questionable. IMHO, the risk of lost baggage is less than the risk of refusal or confiscation.
Definitely the policy that makes sense for me. That way there are no surprises. And one of many reasons why I prefer trains for shorter hauls.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Perhaps does not totally relates to Camino (although I can see some Pilgrims using them on mountainous paths) Does anyone know if crampons are OK to take in carry-on or, like most poles, they...
I have perused many well written posts regarding clothing and equipment, I agree...adapt...and adopt many. It is with concern I notice 'the maximum conditions associated to the clothing...
Hi everyone, Leaving last Tuesday from Santiago airport I saw a lot of pilgrims with backpacks and walking poles. Is it allowed? Thank you! Elvira
Camino Credential is that with stamps or without
I've been looking at this particular collapsible umbrella but am concerned that it's shorter handle would interfere with a hands-free application. I'd like to hear from people who have experience...
Hello fellow pilgrims and travellers... It'll be awhile before my next carry on backpack adventure, but here goes anyhow. I do like my icebreaker gear, but the finer 100% merino tees are not the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.