• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CP Coastal - Trail or Not

Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2019, 2022, 2023
I will be walking the CP Coastal from Matosinhos to Vigo later this month. From what I read and see much (maybe most) of the walk will be on boardwalk and paved surfaces, which may affect my footwear for the walk. Any thoughts from those who have walked this Camino? Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have walked it twice in trail runners (2022 and 2024) with only very minor blister issues. In some areas the boardwalk is covered by the dunes, so take care to ensure you empty any sand that might get into your shoes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked previous Caminos in Altra Olympus trail running shoes with no problems. Was wondering if a shoe more appropriate for non-trail surfaces would work better for this walk.

I walked in Salomon Glide Trail runners and they were perfect! There is a mix of terrain and these shoes were well cushioned and comfortable?

You have choices on the coastal. You can walk the "traditional" marked coastal that is a combination of walking on boardwalks, the street, sometimes the sand, and in the hills above the ocean. Or you can walk almost the entire way in Portugal, on the litoral which will be almost all boardwalk, some sand, and pavement. Once you are in Spain and go past Vigo the coast begins to fade into the sunset.
Personally I only wear tral runners no matter when I walk. Others like @naplesdon say boots.
What type of footwear are you questioning? I have walked in my hiking boots every time and never had a problem.
He has no problems with his boots. I have none with my trail runners. I am sure we can both make a case for why our choice of shoe is better. for each of us. But, really it comes down to you and your feet. There are many and I mean many topics here on the forum that discuss the pros and cons of both, and even sandals (which weather permitting many wear), as the footwear of choice for the camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I was going to mention sandals, especially along the boardwalks on the beaches. I don't wear sandals.

I walked in Salomon Glide Trail runners and they were perfect! There is a mix of terrain and these shoes were well cushioned and comfortable?
I always like to look at the trail runners that others buy. Just curious as I never will give up my Brooks Cascadias!!! Anyway I looked on the Salomon website (United States) to see the glides. I do not know what is on sale or close out models in Australia but the Glide Max is on sale and they just introduced a new Ultra Glide. Maybe you need a new pair or just like I did once bought two pairs of Cascadias when the older model was on a close out sale. I knew I would use them both and of course I did.
Here is the American website:
Buen camino

I just completed the Portuguese Coastal route including stages on the Senda Litoral and it was definitely a combination of mainly boardwalk, asphalt & very little dirt trails. It was very hot and I wore Keen hiking sandals with Decathlon Kiprun socks as described below. I did not get any blisters & my feet were able to breath & when it rained my sandals were cleaned by the water.

“2 PAIRS OF RUN 500 THIN INVISIBLE RUNNING SOCKS“​

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Having walked this route last year, I would say use the Altra Olympus shoes that you know will work for you. The shoe’s cushioning will be very helpful on the hard surfaces, cobblestones and wooded trail areas. No need to overthink it. The CP Litoral route is truly wonderful for the costal views.

Walked the coastal in late April '22. Trail runners work fine. Some places I had to step very carefully to keep from getting drifted sand into my shoes, I am rather picky about sand in my shoes, but all was good with the trail runners. Hoka Speedgoat are my choice but whatever works for you.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.