• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This is my first time doing Sarria Camino, and I would like to hear about late-night flights.

Officer

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago de Compostela
Hey everyone, this is just a heads-up that I'll be heading to Camino in the first week of October. My flight from the US to Madrid will arrive at 7:20 p.m. The last trip to Sarria is at 8:23 p.m., so I won't be able to make it. Does anyone know of a place near the Renfe train station where I could spend the night? I'm planning to catch the first train in the morning. This will be my first time traveling on a tight budget.
I read that the "sleep pods" in Madrid International Airport, which are officially called "Air Rooms", typically cost around €140 for an 8-hour stay.
That is a looot money. It's basically the money I can spend on Camino.
Thank you and I appreciate your suggestions.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Wuffo you want to do that? There are all sorts of hotels and accommodations close to Chamartin at way below that price. 5 minutes on Berking.con or any other website will find you somewhere within your budget. I don’t make recommendations unless I was in the place yesterday and so have current experience but, frankly, you’re asking the wrong question.

An aside but, so far as I’m aware there’s a train at 10:04 that’ll get you to Sarria in time for a menu del dia and some settling in time before you start your Camino

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I would try to find a place to stay near the train station. If you use booking.com you can use the map view, and type in ChamartĂ­n to find accommodations close to the station.

Screenshot 2024-09-15 153920.jpg

Hostal Viky

This is near the airport. The next day take a cab, bus, or commuter train to ChamartĂ­n station to catch your train to Sarria.
Thank you. I tried to book one night, but I got the message that there were no available dates. I guess the website must be having a glitch or something because I cannot select the date I am staying. Hostal Viky

Ok, I always stay using Marriott points at either of the two below. Both have a shuttle that will take you to and from the airport that you don't have to call in advance or reserve. Both have a great breakfast buffet if you want that before the train. They have restaurants where you can eat when you arrive. Not near anything for sightseeing, but a good quiet place to sleep off the jetlag.

I stay the night, eat, then take the shuttle back to the airport and a commuter train to ChamartĂ­n. I understand that the train has temporarily been replaced by a bus due to works on the line.

If you have a train ticket purchased in advance, you may have what is called a Cercanias Combinado which means you can travel to the train station for free.

Madrid Marriott Auditorium
+34 914 00 44 00

https://g.co/kgs/BZGVgMQ

Or
AC Hotel Coslada Aeropuerto
+34 917 46 27 30

https://g.co/kgs/1qJkDz5

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you're on a tight budget, why not take advantage of the night bus? At midnight there is a bus from Madrid airport to Santiago, you can take it as far as Lugo, then in the morning take another bus from Lugo to Sarria (it's a short half-hour ride) and start walking right off, or if you prefer, to find a room in Sarria (probably for a half of the price you would pay in Madrid) to sleep off your jet lag.

One detail: the bus to Lugo/Santiago leaves the airport (terminal T4) not exactly at midnight, but one minute before midnight, at 23:59. It arrives in Lugo at 7 am. At 7:45 there is a Monbus to Sarria. You are in Sarria at 8:15 am.

Madrid - Lugo

Lugo - Sarria

Most read last week in this forum

So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
Unfortunately I’ve become too ill to continue—I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? I’m so sad I can’t Go on. I’ll...
Hi everyone. I’m flying back to Chicago from Madrid after walking the CF in late November. I’ll be taking a cab to a hotel near CDG airport to fly out next day. It appears to be a long distance...
Hey everyone, this is just a heads-up that I'll be heading to Camino in the first week of October. My flight from the US to Madrid will arrive at 7:20 p.m. The last trip to Sarria is at 8:23 p.m...
Hello, I am new here. My husband and I plan to walk the Camino in Spring of 2025. In preparation of this I have been researching and reading. I came across a map which was interactive. It showed...
Hey veteran pilgrims - of which I am one - is it common in mid October for all fast trains from Madrid to Leon to be “sold out” six weeks out from travel? It’s been 10 years since I have done a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back