• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choosing First Camino Route - Mid October Start

Carsonian

Time of past OR future Camino
October-November 2024
Hello Everyone,

I want to do my first Camino this October, I will be flying from Calgary, Canada leaving anytime after October 13th. Whenever the best deals are on flights really.

I can stay as long as I want, no need to come home other than wanting to be back for Christmas season in December so I have well over a month, I want to fill this time by doing a long Camino, around a month of walking.

I am open to any routes, the ones I have been considering so far are:
- Camino Frances
- Camino de la Plata
- Camino Mozárabe

I am open to the Camino Portugués and Norte as well. I am also open to doing a less common one but I thought maybe its best to do a more common one for the first time. I am okay with any difficulty really.

I definitely want to do a "full Camino" where I start from a well known starting point and go all the way to Santiago or ideally the Camino Finisterre as well.

I am also open to doing alternate sections of main routes like the Frances. I do want to make sure I get the official Compostela though.

I like the idea of the Plata or Mozarabe for the better weather and being less busy. But the Frances gets a lot of support as being the best for first timers and most "authentic" I guess.

What I'm looking for:
- Not too busy. I am going solo and want it to be a personal experience. I am not against meeting people I think that would be a cool part of the trip, but I don't want to be in large groups or seeing people all the time. I don't drink or really like any partying or stuff like that so I want a more peaceful introspective trip.
- Decent weather. Since I am going in Late October I don't want it to be cold and rainy the whole time, which is why I am unsure about the Norte. Of course it will all be nicer than here in Canada.
- Decent Infrastructure. Doesn't have to be perfect, just not terribly difficult for a first timer. I am happy to go to small Albergues and small towns and be off the beaten path but I do want things to be open. Especially once its november I don't want to be struggling to find a place to sleep.
- Authentic Camino. I know this is cliche and hard to describe but this is the main thing people always say about the Frances is that it has a certain feel to it. Let me know if this is even worth worrying about.

How I want to do it:
- Budget. I have money I can spend, but I do want to do it mostly as cheap as possible, mostly because I want the authentic experience of very simple basic living. I want to stay in Albergues, mostly public ones. I am looking for the roughing it pilgrim experience, definitely nothing fancy. Lots of groceries, small local restaurants, stuff like that.
- Light & Simple. I want to pack a small light bag with just the essentials.
- No luggage transfer, tour guides, companies, anything like that. Just me, a map, a backpack, and the road.
- Not booking ahead. I am willing to book some nights ahead but my ideal is just showing up to whatever town for the day, walking to an Albergues and that's it. I don't want to have to meticulously book and schedule it all out.

About me:
I am 23 turning 24 in October, male, I am in good shape just ran a half marathon and I have done a bit of hiking.
I have already done a 4 month Europe backpacking trip with my girlfriend, and another 1 year backpacking trip in southeast Asia with her as well. I pack very light, had a 32L backpack for those whole trips. I like to be very minimalist and rough it. So I am used to the travel lifestyle.

Thanks for reading everything! I tried to include as much info as I could think of, if there's any other critical pieces I will answer any questions.

Let me know what you think would be best for my situation!
Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the Via de La Plata could be great for you, given what you wrote and that the weather will probably be better in the south around that time. The Mozárabe is similarly located but the problem there is that by the time you connect all the dots to Santiago, it would be well over a month of walking. Honestly, the VdlP sounds perfect for your situation to me despite the usual recommendation of the Francés as a first camino.

I second JB. The thing about La Plata is that in this particular case you have the 1) personal time during a 2) good season to do it.

Next time you might not have the personal time or the season (heat).

Plus, you can back it up to Cadiz or Granada or Cordoba etc if you want more before Sevilla.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I appreciate all the responses! Seems the VLDP is a really good option. I just have a few concerns to address...

All I am worried about is:
1. Missing the "Classic" first Camino experience on the Frances. Iconic places like the Pyrenees, Leon, etc.
2. It being very desolate, mostly just empty plains. It seems the Frances has more variety as well as villages & towns to go through.
3. It being "harder" in the way of difficulties finding accomodation, food, english speakers, other pilgrims.

Are any of these worth worrying about? Or are they untrue.
I don't want to miss out on the iconic experience if you know what I mean.

For all I know these concerns may be completely unwarranted, and the VLDP gives me everything I want. I just want to make sure it still checks all the boxes before committing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
None are worth worrying about, but all of them have some truth.

You cannot help but miss some iconic experiences. One thing to consider is that you will meet more people of your age group on the Frances than on the VDLP.

I always recommend the Camino Frances as a first Camino when asked, until the last few years when I now hesitate since it has become extremely busy. Since you plan to start in either mid or late October, the hordes of people will mostly be gone.

I have walked numerous different Caminos and I have loved them all in different ways, but for me the truly "iconic" and "classic" one (to puppet your own two words) is still the Camino Frances and I think your three points of concern are valid. Unless you are more introverted and prefer to walk alone mostly in your own thoughts, you will have a more unique, one of a kind experience on the Frances imo. I will add that if you do not speak Spanish, you will have a more enriched social experience as you will find more English speaking pilgrims on the Frances.

Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I appreciate all the responses! Seems the VLDP is a really good option. I just have a few concerns to address...

1. Missing the "Classic" first Camino experience on the Frances. Iconic places like the Pyrenees, Leon, etc.
2. It being very desolate, mostly just empty plains. It seems the Frances has more variety as well as villages & towns to go through.
3. It being "harder" in the way of difficulties finding accomodation, food, english speakers, other pilgrims.

For all I know these concerns may be completely unwarranted, and the VLDP gives me everything I want. I just want to make sure it still checks all the boxes before committing.
Hello, fellow Calgarian.
I walked the VdlP in two parts way back in 07 & 08. It was my first camino and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't want to be around lots of people either (as you said in your first post), but enjoyed seeing others when I arrived at the albergues in the evening. I never felt any pressure to party, drink or even share a meal with anyone but when I did eat with others it was nice. I'm guessing you'll meet more people your age on the Frances than the VdlP, but it doesn't sound like that's much of a concern for you.
I like that you've had other hiking/backpacking experiences and won't be carrying a heavy pack. Whatever route you choose, have a wonderful time.
Buen camino!

All of the below is with the disclaimer that I have not (yet) myself walked the VDLP, although I have read accounts from people who have and have seen photos and videos.

1. It is certainly true that the Camino Frances is the archetypical Camino. Most (but not all) of the books, movies, etc. showing Caminos are showing the Camino Frances. When I did my first Camino, all the guide books and tourist pamphlets to "The Camino de Santiago" were describing the Camino Frances without acknowledging that other Caminos existed (although they did include what we now call the Camino Aragones as an alternate beginning, and acknowledged that there were four routes in France that led up to the Camino). You will miss iconic places like the ones you mention, as well as the Alto de Perdon, Puente la Reina, Cruz de Ferro, etc. On the VDLP, I am confident that you will see other monuments and fine cities and wonderful villages, beautiful landscapes, and so on. But they won't be the ones that are always associated with the Camino in most people's minds. How important that is for you is up to you to decide.

2. Desolate is a hard word. There is certainly a bunch that is on the plains. There is some of that on the Frances, too. But the VDLP is a lesser walked route. That generally translates into more opportunities for solitude and less crowding in the albergues. It also translates into less infrastructure and less choice of how far to walk each day. I have definitely heard tales of some long days between accommodations. The extra infrastructure and the support and flexibility for a first time pilgrim is one of the reasons that the Frances (and Portugues from Porto) are often recommended for first time pilgrims.

3. I wouldn't worry too much about finding accommodations (although you may have to walk a bit longer distances some days to get to them). Similarly, I wouldn't worry about finding food (and water), although you may need to plan ahead some days, keeping an eye on where the shops are and when they are open. I can't speak to finding English speakers. My experience of other less-walked routes is that English speakers are much less common on them than on the more popular routes like the Frances, Portugues and Primitivo, but my experience of less-walked routes is of routes even less walked than the VDLP. Better to get an answer on this from someone with real VDLP experience. I expect October is actually a good time to find other pilgrims on the VDLP, probably second only to the spring. I think most people are wise enough to avoid it in the high summer.

Myself, I was leaning to recommending the Frances. I think in October the weather won't be too cold and rainy yet (except maybe in the most mountainous parts) and the crowds will have abated somewhat while there still will be a good pilgrim community. But I'm not going to speak against the VDLP recommendations from those who have experienced it.

I walked VDLP in October/November 2022 and the Francés this year (in June /July) for the second time. I found the Francés more difficult physically and psychologically. For me even in June there were too many people though I didn’t have to book ahead and I wouldn’t call it crowded at all. Also lots more urban areas. On the Francés you are walking along a pilgrimage route that has been the main Christian route to Santiago for over a thousand years. And before that a pre Christian route. So it has that history and spirituality which is beautiful. There is a great sense of comaraderie and shared experience amongst the pilgrims.
Physically the VDLP is basically flat for a week or more and then more hilly. I am in my 70’s and had no problem carrying my pack, food and water - though I do recommend a reflective umbrella or some more heat resistant head gear. In October it will be very dry at the start but cooler, a bit damp and beautiful as you head north. There will be a few people and t it is quite solitary. The VDLP is a long walk in nature with a number of amazing and beautiful historical towns along the way. Lots of Roman ruins. For me I really loved this solitary route - I didn’t find it that difficult - I found the spiritual element in nature. I know a number of people for whom it was their first Camino.
Both Caminos have given me so many blessings. Whatever you choose will be perfect.
Buen Camino.
PS I only speak’Pilgrim Spanish’ - enough to get me by. I used Google Translate a lot on the Via

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I started in SJPDP on October 19, 2022. I only pre-booked SJ and Borda. (Orrison was closed but Borda was open.). There were several days of rain but that was no issue.
I finished on November 26. Then took a bus to Porto and stayed there a few days before taking a train to Lisbon. From there I took a plane to Cairo to join a G-Adventures trip through Egypt. Back to the USin December 16.

Watch some Youtube videos on specific routes - there are a few that may help you decide "Rolf's Caminos"

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Reading this, I change my answer. If you have these pangs already, then you need to do the Frances first.

I've done a lot of thinking since then, and it all adds up to one thing: you're getting on that train to St Jean where you belong.

I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong on the Frances. You're a part of it already, and it's a part of you. If that train to St Jean leaves the Bayonne platform and you're not on it, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

Reading this, I change my answer. If you have these pangs already, then you need to do the Frances first.

I've done a lot of thinking since then, and it all adds up to one thing: you're getting on that train to St Jean where you belong.

I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong on the Frances. You're a part of it already, and it's a part of you. If that train to St Jean leaves the Bayonne platform and you're not on it, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Hi @KFH
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Your comments helped me acknowledge that even though my Camino Francés this year felt like my least favourite Camino (for a number of reasons), the ‘river of Grace’ is deep and palpable and powerful and enduring and transforming.
It was my first Camino in 2007 and while external elements have changed in varying degrees, its powerful essence remains the same.
Enjoy and Buen Camino

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Not totally sure I'd still be walking if I hadn't done the Francés first. (I barely knew anything of other routes when I first went!) Not to dissuade from the other choices but the Francés has the history and tradition, clear wayfinding, other first timers, infrastructure. It was important to me to do the classic thing first. Porto to Santiago could be great too if less crowded is important. You've told us you have some backpacking experience so maybe you're more adventurous than me. I guess my hesitation with the de la Plata and Mozárabe is if you're on your own, the 'why do a camino' and the culture of it could be fairly thin in the first stages.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I want to do my first Camino this October, I will be flying from Calgary, Canada leaving anytime after October 13th. Whenever the best deals are on flights really.

I can stay as long as I want, no need to come home other than wanting to be back for Christmas season in December so I have well over a month, I want to fill this time by doing a long Camino, around a month of walking.

- Camino Frances
- Camino de la Plata
- Camino Mozárabe

I am open to the Camino Portugués and Norte as well. I am also open to doing a less common one but I thought maybe its best to do a more common one for the first time. I am okay with any difficulty really.

I definitely want to do a "full Camino" where I start from a well known starting point and go all the way to Santiago or ideally the Camino Finisterre as well.

I am also open to doing alternate sections of main routes like the Frances. I do want to make sure I get the official Compostela though.

I like the idea of the Plata or Mozarabe for the better weather and being less busy. But the Frances gets a lot of support as being the best for first timers and most "authentic" I guess.

What I'm looking for:
- Not too busy. I am going solo and want it to be a personal experience. I am not against meeting people I think that would be a cool part of the trip, but I don't want to be in large groups or seeing people all the time. I don't drink or really like any partying or stuff like that so I want a more peaceful introspective trip.
- Decent weather. Since I am going in Late October I don't want it to be cold and rainy the whole time, which is why I am unsure about the Norte. Of course it will all be nicer than here in Canada.
- Decent Infrastructure. Doesn't have to be perfect, just not terribly difficult for a first timer. I am happy to go to small Albergues and small towns and be off the beaten path but I do want things to be open. Especially once its november I don't want to be struggling to find a place to sleep.
- Authentic Camino. I know this is cliche and hard to describe but this is the main thing people always say about the Frances is that it has a certain feel to it. Let me know if this is even worth worrying about.

How I want to do it:
- Budget. I have money I can spend, but I do want to do it mostly as cheap as possible, mostly because I want the authentic experience of very simple basic living. I want to stay in Albergues, mostly public ones. I am looking for the roughing it pilgrim experience, definitely nothing fancy. Lots of groceries, small local restaurants, stuff like that.
- No luggage transfer, tour guides, companies, anything like that. Just me, a map, a backpack, and the road.
- Not booking ahead. I am willing to book some nights ahead but my ideal is just showing up to whatever town for the day, walking to an Albergues and that's it. I don't want to have to meticulously book and schedule it all out.

About me:
I am 23 turning 24 in October, male, I am in good shape just ran a half marathon and I have done a bit of hiking.
I have already done a 4 month Europe backpacking trip with my girlfriend, and another 1 year backpacking trip in southeast Asia with her as well. I pack very light, had a 32L backpack for those whole trips. I like to be very minimalist and rough it. So I am used to the travel lifestyle.

Thanks for reading everything! I tried to include as much info as I could think of, if there's any other critical pieces I will answer any questions.

Thanks!
Plan on doing the Camino Francés, but be open to anything meaningful but unexpected that might change this plan. But it would need to be really meaningful.

Good day to you,
Thank you for your post.
There is no doubt in my mind that you should absolutely walk the camino frances from SJPP to Santiago.
It is the easiest in terms of infrastructure, it is the most varied and beautiful, most historical and most social camino.
Once you have done it and do another camino, you will understand completely and will always feel that all the other caminos lack that "something", that "magic" which the frances has to offer.
It is truly the one and only in my opinion.
All the other walks which I have done ( Portoguese, Via de la Plata) feel just like a short or very long walk. Clearly that "magic" is missing.
Buen camino my friend

Regards from Switzerland

Martin

P.S. Iam clearly very biased as I have completed the frances four times already :) Everytime it is so different and magical. Attached I do have typical picture from the frances, chatting and befriending people from all over the world is the routine there.

IMG_5519.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Everyone,

- Camino Frances
- Camino de la Plata
- Camino Mozárabe

What I'm looking for:

How I want to do it:

About me:

Thanks
For my first Camino May-June 2023 I had narrowed it down to Portuguese from Porto, del Norte or the Frances. Was leaning towards Portuguese because it was only 2 weeks and I was a little nervous about a long Camino because I was going solo. Norte was my second choice because i'am a chef and the best food was supposed to be on the del Norte. The Frances was my third choice. But a lot of people on this forum suggested the Frances as my first Camino. So I decided on the Frances. From day one over the Pyrenees to day 32 when I arrived in Santiago it was a great walk. So many things to see and fantastic people to meet. So much so that I walked it again this year.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided to do the Frances! I have flights booked and just starting to collect gear and learn more.
Congrats. You will be happy with the decision, and should get plenty of alone time in the middle sections to suit your needs.

Plus, you said you have time, so you can always keep going to Fisterre or even going up the coast after Fisterre on a loop to Muxia and back to Santiago. Or maybe catch a bus up to A Coruna or Ferrol and doing the Ingles.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided to do the Frances! I have flights booked and just starting to collect gear and learn more.
Great!
If you decide that you want more solitude you can divert onto the Camino de Invierno when you get to Ponferrada.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.