• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino on bike .

Trish McGuane

Time of past OR future Camino
Hope to bike it in May 2015 from SJPP to Santiago
Hope to do st Jean de port to finisterre in September 24 on bike. To buy a bike in Ireland and transport or buy in France. Any thoughts welcomed

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you fly a bike from Ireland to Biarritz, Express Bouricot will take you to St Jean and then forward the bag to Santiago for collection. Worked fine for me last year - but I was happy to cop the extra cost in order to have my own bike for the Camino. If you buy a bike in France it will not be easy to dispose of it in Santiago unless you donate it. Of course, you could box it (Correos supply them) and take it back to Ireland.

If you do transport it by Correos make sure they will send it to Ireland and check the cost before you leave. I had mine sent to France and they dropped something heavy on it and squashed the front fork. Use a spacer.....Definitely don't trust them with a carbon frame. You might want to ride from Finistere to the narrow gauge rail line along the coast and fly back from a different airport. Santiago flights aren't specially cheap.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hope to do st Jean de port to finisterre in September 24 on bike. To buy a bike in Ireland and transport or buy in France. Any thoughts welcomed

I had taken mine packed in a box. Flew into Madrid and got an ALSA bus to Pamplona. Than got a taxi to SJPP. At the end I got it packed in Santiago ready to fly it back home with me. The packing company I used in Santiago has closed but I’m sure there are others. Your really want your bike to do this if possible. Another alternative is to rent from Bikeiberia. They will drop the bike at your starting point and collect it from Santiago.

I bought a cheap Rockrider hybrid in Decathlon. I kept it in Spain, but selling it on Wallapop in Santiago is very easy. Hard to beat on price and convenience imo
I bought ($200) a Specialize bike in Saigon and donated it in Pattaya, Thailand. Easiest and most rewarding.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had taken mine packed in a box. Flew into Madrid and got an ALSA bus to Pamplona. Than got a taxi to SJPP. At the end I got it packed in Santiago ready to fly it back home with me. The packing company I used in Santiago has closed but I’m sure there are others. Your really want your bike to do this if possible. Another alternative is to rent from Bikeiberia. They will drop the bike at your starting point and collect it from Santiago.
Thank u do much. U say I got it packed in Santiago? What was involved in that? Did I get a cardboard box there or did courier company pack up bike. Many thanks

If you fly a bike from Ireland to Biarritz, Express Bouricot will take you to St Jean and then forward the bag to Santiago for collection. Worked fine for me last year - but I was happy to cop the extra cost in order to have my own bike for the Camino. If you buy a bike in France it will not be easy to dispose of it in Santiago unless you donate it. Of course, you could box it (Correos supply them) and take it back to Ireland.
Thank u so much. Really valuable info there

Thank u do much. U say I got it packed in Santiago? What was involved in that? Did I get a cardboard box there or did courier company pack up bike. Many thanks

I rode into the shop and the day I left a taxi van called for me at my hotel with my bike neatly packed in a box and took me to the airport. It’s a pity this guy is no longer there but I’m sure someone else is doing it. I’ll have a look.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
I rode into the shop and the day I left a taxi van called for me at my hotel with my bike neatly packed in a box and took me to the airport. It’s a pity this guy is no longer there but I’m sure someone else is doing it. I’ll have a look.

It looks like Bicicletas Oliviera a shop in Santiago give this service.

Attachments

• IMG_2463.png
    IMG_2463.png
    398.7 KB · Views: 4
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,
We are planning to cycle to Camino del Norte. It looks like it might be more difficult to find accommodations as you go along- did you need to book ahead or was it ok to just show up- we’re going in September. Thank you

I always book ahead. I don’t like spending time whilst I’m on the Camino doing research I can do at home before. Especially having bikes to think about as well I’d rather have that sorted.

Yes they do. My bike has been repaired, had a service and is being stored there until September. Bikes were being boxed / packed for travel while I was there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always book ahead. I don’t like spending time whilst I’m on the Camino doing research I can do at home before. Especially having bikes to think about as well I’d rather have that sorted.
On the other âś‹ you can always arrange accommodation during your lunch stop or afternoon tea break when you know where you'll stop for the night. The cyclist has the advantage of being able to ride a few Kms off the Camino that would take a tired peregrino an hour or more.

Trish, not sure your original question has been answered. If you buy in Ireland you'll get the right bike that fits you, it will be set up for touring with all the bags, bells and bottles necessary and there'll be time for you to run-in the bike and sort out any niggles. Buy in France will need some planning to find the correct bike and some time to fit all the accessories and you still have to get it to SJPDP.

Generally I would recommend taking your own bike though I once bought a bike in Perth to ride the Munda Biddi trail but had the good fortune to be staying with a friend to set it up.

Can you use the Rosslare to Bilbao ferry then train to Pamplona?

Lots of good answers already. I think it would be easier to bring your own bike if possible. More comfortable also.

But due to an injury and being unable to walk, I ended up buying a 2nd hand bike in Pamplona at a used store called Trabajos(? thanks @Kirkie) for €75. Another €75 to fix it up at the Decathlon bike shop and buy cheap saddle bags and I was on my way.

I just gave it away in Santiago, lots of pilgrim bikes left in Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back