• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to walk near unfenced cows/cattle

ChrisMayou

Time of past OR future Camino
del Norte planned for Sept 1, 2024
Are there Spanish* phrases used when walking near cows? In America, you might hear "hey Bessie," or at least I think that's a thing! What soothing, friendly things might this practically city-slicker say while trying not to convey nervousness to the much larger animals? *And, on the Norte, I suppose there are languages besides Spanish that the local farmers might use.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
I find talking to all the Animals I met in 'soft' child like English worked well ;)
It's more about the tone I think.

On my last Camino, the animals along the way were often the only living things to talk to :)
Oh and trees of course. Trees are great 'listeners'!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are there Spanish* phrases used when walking near cows? In America, you might hear "hey Bessie," or at least I think that's a thing! What soothing, friendly things might this practically city-slicker say while trying not to convey nervousness to the much larger animals? *And, on the Norte, I suppose there are languages besides Spanish that the local farmers might use.
Spanish regulary have a big red rag in their backpack as standard equipment .
And once approached by a “toro “ they wave the red rag and call out loud “ olé “

If you walk the Portuguese , call out “ obá “ and then run for your life .

I never met a bull, cow or goat on my entire 5 caminhos others than behind a fence.
At the Portuguese , beware of lovely small barking doggies. They attack you from behind by biting your calves.

And once ( compare it to the Caminho do Norte) we played golf on Iceland
In Iceland are no trees so birds breed on the ground in nests
Trying to hit the hole in one,we were attacked by Northern Stern birds and aggressive seagulls , protecting their eggs and chickens.
That can happen too at the northern Coasts of Spain in the breeding season.

Buen camino

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
never met a bull, cow or goat on my entire 5 caminhos others than behind a fence.
On the Primitivo, the Inglès and the Norte last year I met cows. Once completely unattended on a quiet, narrow country lane, the other two occasions being herded towards me.

As a New Zealander I'm not exactly a stranger to cows - I spent 10 years working with farmers - but ours don't have those fabulous horns that the Spanish cows do.

Two of the occasions I just stood to one side of the road and they calmly passed by. The third occasion (P) however was somewhat more difficult, calm words and a little judicious pole work involved.

Last edited:
I don't say anything, pass calmly and beware not to walk between a caĺf and mother. Where cows walk in the open country along the camino they will be used to passing people

Try the VdlP. ;)
I only saw toro's in the arena of Sevilla once but they already were dead .
On the Primitivo, the Inglès and the Norte last year I met cows. Once completely unattended on a quiet country lane, the other two occasions being herded towards me.

As a New Zealander I'm not exactly a stranger to cows - I spent 10 years working with farmers - but ours don't have those fabulous horns that the Spanish cows do.

Two of the occasions I just stood to one side of the road and they calmly passed by. The third occasion (P) however was somewhat more difficult, calm words and a little judicious pole work involved.
here in the Netherlands where I live are millions of black and white cows .
Owned by farmers who know them all by name .
We once walked the Pieter pad, a long distance path from the north to the south of the country, about 500 kms and in the northern province of Groningen,sometimes we had to climb over fences to continue the waymarked path and were surrounded by our black and white milk supplyers but they are as tame as a new born lamb.

Beware for longhorns !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I only saw toro's in the arena of Sevilla once but they already were dead .

here in the Netherlands where I live are millions of black and white cows .
Owned by farmers who know them all by name .
We once walked the Pieter pad, a long distance path from the north to the south of the country, about 500 kms and in the northern province of Groningen,sometimes we had to climb over fences to continue the waymarked path and were surrounded by our black and white milk supplyers but they are as tame as a new born lamb.

Beware for longhorns !
Holstein-Friesian, they’re a common milk cow internationally and they originated in your neck of the woods. As you say, a very calm, even good natured beast.

Unfortunately many of our herds are huge (800 - 1000 is not uncommon), the average herd size is over 400. They’re not named, just numbered. We have three times as many cows as you, you have three times as many people! 🤔

Imagine waiting for 400+ cows to amble past on the way to the milking shed !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unfortunately many of our herds are huge (800 - 1000 is not uncommon), the average herd size is over 400. They’re not named, just numbered.
Well, I have one exception. Long, long time ago I met a New Zealand woman who told me she was given the same name as her father's favorite cow.

I read once ( and did once) that, if you can, approach the cows slowly from their midsections, not directly towards or directly behind ( don't come up on any animal from its rear...).

Worked well enough, but I wasn't traveling in calving season...
Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try the VdlP. ;)
He left out sheep and pigs. You see one or two of those on the VDLP also ;)
2 years ago. walking up a hill on the Aragones from Ruesta to Undues de Lerda I saw 5 wild boars about 50 yards ahead of me standing and munching on the side of the road. Slowly took my backpack off. Had my pocket knife out and a walking pole (OH yea big help they would have been) Stood completely still but looked around for an escape route. Luckily their were some trees that would have been easy to climb. Pigs didn't bother with me but I stood there for a long while even after they left. The owner of the bar in Undues told me the woods there had lots of wild boars. If you like punk and new wave music from the 70's/early 80's stop in that bar. He has an awesome collection of albums. I think it may be the only bar, but I remember it was on the left.

might as well follow the herd

Attachments

• DSCN2124.JPG
    DSCN2124.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20220925_093823.jpg
    20220925_093823.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 27
Had my pocket knife out and a walking pole (OH yea big help they would have been)
1990s. British Army exercise in a forest in Poland. A family of wild boar came wandering through the medical unit camp in the middle of the night causing uproar amongst the sentries. Who fortunately only had blank ammunition. In the morning a few of the soldiers were sharpening long sticks for use as spears. I asked them how much they knew about wild boar anatomy and if they were 100% certain of killing one with a single blow. And if not what their plan was for having several hundred pounds of very angry injured pork with huge teeth on the other end of a six-foot stick... :cool:

Just keep a respectful distance if possible and don't pet them. One of my favorite memories from my Camino Frances last year was walking in the middle of a herd of large gentle cattle on the road out of Sarria. There were about 20 pilgrim walking in the road with the cattle. With exception of a couple of ignorant people who wanted to pet and take selfies with the cattle, it was an awesome experience.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spanish regulary have a big red rag in their backpack as standard equipment .
And once approached by a “toro “ they wave the red rag and call out loud “ olé “

If you walk the Portuguese , call out “ obá “ and then run for your life .

I never met a bull, cow or goat on my entire 5 caminhos others than behind a fence.
At the Portuguese , beware of lovely small barking doggies. They attack you from behind by biting your calves.

And once ( compare it to the Caminho do Norte) we played golf on Iceland
In Iceland are no trees so birds breed on the ground in nests
Trying to hit the hole in one,we were attacked by Northern Stern birds and aggressive seagulls , protecting their eggs and chickens.
That can happen too at the northern Coasts of Spain in the breeding season.

Buen camino
I have met them numerous times. Sometimes accompanied by a nowhere. Sometimes not.

If you move through them without quick moves that could be mistaken for aggression they will generally accept you as part of the herd. And, watch where you step.

Attachments

• IMG_2827.mov
    20.6 MB
Yes, I remember wading through cattle several times on that route in particular..

As with all animals, a soothing voice in whatever language. Pass gently without sudden movements, dont flail about the place and never pass between a mother and calf.
Thank you.
If you move through them without quick moves that could be mistaken for aggression they will generally accept you as part of the herd. And, watch where you step.
Herd mentality pays off at last!

I have never felt cows scary, but recommend having a strong whistle. I had mine ready in my mouth when a group of large barking dogs (herding a crowd of cattle) came after me and I had to go into the bush to get away before the (huge!) herd of cattle came and passed on the trail I had been walking on. Fortunately, the dogs didn't come close enough that I had to use it (I planned 1 meter in my head), but it gave me a sense of security. I was so glad when I heard those bells of cettles coming, because then I understood why the dogs wanted me away, the crowd should soon come there and get a sucure pass. When the crowd came through and me watching from the bush, the dogs got busy with running around them and no longer did focus on me. Didn't dare go back to the trail until long after they all had passed, and was so glad when I walked down into the valley and heard the dogs, still barking, farther and farther away up there in the mountains.
But this was definately not on the Frances and they were probably not used to people walking there. It was the only and very scary thing I experienced.

Last edited:
I find talking to all the Animals I met in 'soft' child like English worked well ;)
It's more about the tone I think.

On my last Camino, the animals along the way were often the only living things to talk to :)
Oh and trees of course. Trees are great 'listeners'!
What Camino did you walk when you werw alone wirh only animals to talk to?
I want to walk there!

I never had a problem with that. On the Via Podiensis in France you have to pass through the fenced areas where the cows were grazing together with their calves and big daddy Bull. But really BIG!
The never paid any attention to the pilgrims, but of course that was a bit scary.

We have walked many Camino routes, including the Norte, and only occasionally seen cows on the trail (luckily none have been threatening). Here is the advice given by our regional park district. (I also have seen signs showing cow's blind spots (mostly their back end) -so avoid frightening them by coming up quickly from behind.
East Bay Regional Park District (S.F. BAY AREA (CA)
"Cattle are large animals but are not aggressive by nature. However, if aggravated or threatened, cattle can respond to defend calves or themselves, often in response to off-leash dogs. Dogs are members of the genus Canis, the same genus as wolves and coyotes, natural predators to livestock. Use common sense around cattle and remember the following:
Dogs, or other animals, must be securely leashed and under control in any area where grazing animals are present.
  • Protect yourself, your pets, and the livestock. Do not let your pets chase or harass livestock.
  • If cattle are blocking the trail, approach them slowly, speak normally, and allow them to move away.
  • Do not attempt to touch livestock. Do not get between a mother cow and young calves. Be EXTRA careful during the calving season.
  • If you see a stray calf, leave it alone, the cow is often feeding or watering nearby and will return.
  • If you encounter a cow that is acting in a threatening manner, or appears to be injured, sick or dead, please note the location, the color of the animal, the ear tag number, and report it to the park staff."

I have never felt cows scary, but recommend having a strong whistle. I had mine ready in my mouth when a group of large barking dogs (herding a crowd of cattle) came after me and I had to go into the bush to get away before the (huge!) herd of cattle came and passed on the trail I had been walking on. Fortunately, the dogs didn't come close enough that I had to use it

Reminded me of a cow and dog post I made a few years ago. It has a picture that makes me happy whenever I see it.

I met herds a couple of times in the hills while walking the San Salvador earlier this year. I didn’t dare walk through as there were calves among them. Fortunately each time I was able to climb above them left and right to pass.
I also grew up on a farm with cattle and was surprised how wary ( or rather scared) I was of them. Then ours didn’t have those weapons of horns and would have been way more used to people.
The last interaction I had with cattle back home a few years ago was heading for the nearest fence to escape an enraged cow with a newborn calf. Luckily there was three of us, fleeing in three different directions , which confused the cow and slowed her down. If one of us had a backpack she would have had them !

I met herds a couple of times in the hills while walking the San Salvador earlier this year. I didn’t dare walk through as there were calves among them. Fortunately each time I was able to climb above them left and right to pass.
I also grew up on a farm with cattle and was surprised how wary ( or rather scared) I was of them. Then ours didn’t have those weapons of horns and would have been way more used to people.
The last interaction I had with cattle back home a few years ago was heading for the nearest fence to escape an enraged cow with a newborn calf. Luckily there was three of us, fleeing in three different directions , which confused the cow and slowed her down. If one of us had a backpack she would have had them !
It’s the horns!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There were plenty on the Frances in 2018

Yes, we were there then. Quite a few walking along the streets in Galicia, where the roads are paved with SxxT ;).
The VdlP has some great sections where you literally have to walk through the fields with herds of them......
You get very good at opening and closing the gates as you go!

I lived and hiked in lots of places with lots of cows (and accidents). My best recommendation is to stay far from them, specially if they have "babies". If the little ones are near, walk very far from them (even if that means you need to go off the trail). If there are no babies and they are on your way (standing), wait to see if they go away while you walk slowly. Take your time and be patient. Do not stress them. If they are laying down, just pass slowly and follow your path.

Most read last week in this forum

Especially if you are a hiker, pilgrim, want to be Pilgrim, anybody that really enjoys the outdoors and hiking PLEASE heed the following... I am a soon to be 77-year-old male, healthy and in...
I downloaded the AlertCops app onto my phone last year. Will it still work automatically this year or do I need to do something to update it? Thanks.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back